• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tales of Zestiria announced for PS3 [announced worldwide]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandfox

I think you're looking at the wrong series if you want them to radicalize the games. Me, I just look forward to the new characters, world, battle system, and whatever other improvements they're making like the bigger world here and the lack of transitions if that's what's being implied.

I personally don't want a ton of changes and like what I saw; I just didn't get the claim that this looks a lot different from the other Tales games lol.

kiryogi

Banned
Seeing an Around Step in the trailer does seem promising. But I echo Datschge's concern if Udo is involved somehow.

Looks really good.

Interesting that Alicia actually kind of looks like a fighter and doesn't show any skin, hope she also won't be a damsel in distress.

Agreed, really like her design and outfit. I like her animation in those little gifs with the two characters.

I hope that's the case too as she looks like fighter and not a damsel in distress type. Cool weapon too.

kiryogi

Banned
Interesting that Alicia actually kind of looks like a fighter and doesn't show any skin, hope she also won't be a damsel in distress.

Now we think about the potential beach/hot springs scene and the costume DLC for her to unveil all. Tohoho.

Soriku

The battle they showed does seem reminiscent of Graces with the around step as stated but also the effects during the Mystic Arte.

Zhao_Yun

I'd say that Namco and Tecmo Koei have easily had the best East to West output this gen. They've even released staunchly Japanese games that NA retailers would surely spurn via digital channels. Saint Seiya, Pirate Warriors 1/2, Zil O'll (was I the only one who loved that game?) and the Vita - stealth - Atelier releases come to mind. Props to both publishers for continuing to plant seeds in the West when others have spit on the garden altogether.

Which is kinda surprising since I can still remember how we Europeans nearly missed ToV on the 360 since the US version was region-locked and Bamco didn't seem to care. Recently they tried hard to promote the Tales Series in the West. Hideo Baba went around the world on several conventions to promote ToGf and ToX respectively which shows his dedication. During this announcement he also mentioned the fans worldwide who were watching the live-stream, so I really would not worry too much about a localization.

Heyt

Banned
Propably it will have mixed elements like Xillia. I only hope it is closer to Graces or Destiny HD than to any other tales.

The character designs are quite bland this time around but at least the female lead seems decently dressed unlike Milla.

Also the saga going back to a more classic fantasy setting it's perfect for me, just what I wanted them to do.

kiryogi

Banned
What were the four (!) people credited for character design again? Inomata, Fujishima and...?

Okumura and I'm not sure who the 4th was, Iwamoto or something was what I heard.

Fujishima did Slay, and Okumura (!!) did Alicia. But I thought from seeing her eyes that it wasn't an Inomata design.

Asd202

Which is kinda surprising since I can still remember how we Europeans nearly missed ToV on the 360 since the US version was region-locked and Bamco didn't seem to care. Recently they tried hard to promote the Tales Series in the West. Hideo Baba went around the world on several conventions to promote ToGf and ToX respectively which shows his dedication. During this announcement he also mentioned the fans worldwide who were watching the live-stream, so I really would not worry too much about a localization.

Yeah I don't know when this game is coming out in Japan but summer 2015 for localized version seems likely, maybe sooner.

kubus

>See this topic
>Me thinking "FUCK YEAH NEW TALES OF GAME"
>Protagonist's name is Alicia

I'm not sure I can play a game with a main character that shares my name. It's why I avoided Valkyria Chronicles ;_;

Soriku

>See this topic

I'm not sure I can play a game with a main character that shares my name. It's why I avoided Valkyria Chronicles ;_;

What is wrong with you?

LuuKyK

Ok, OP is finished. No more info to add for now.

>See this topic

Play it in japanese and pretend that she is actually called Aricia. :p

Asd202

>See this topic

dafuq? Change that right now!

3Kaze

Oh, a new monster in the trailer. Maybe they won't recycle this time! /wishful thinking
Looks a bit a generic but I don't mind since Xillia 2 has already tried different things. Bigger and better looking fields is a plus. Now waiting for more informations on the battle system.

The girl is also looking better than the dude, I guess I'm now tired of Fujishima/Inomata. I hated Okumura's designs in TOSR but surprisingly, they are good enough in the other titles.

Shahed

>See this topic

I guess you have no choice then. You'll have to change your name :p

FSLink

Banned
The battle system from the small clip we got looks a lot like Graces in perspective and with the flashy lights for the likely hi-ougi move, except with possibly no battle transition screen like Xenoblade? Though as people noted, could be like Vesperia's initial trailer where we were all fooled that was the case. (Speaking of Vesperia's first trailer, that trailer still looks damn good today, the power of cel-shading!)

EDIT: OMFG UFOTABLE ASJFLASJFZL:JFZ YESSSSSSS

DJwest

Video quality was poor but the game already seems graphically underwhelming compared to Vesperia and Ninokuni. Hope to be proven wrong.
need more cel shaded Jrpgs please

>See this topic

What the hell ? You realise Valkyria Chronicles is arguably the best RPG available on PS3 right ? Go get the game now gaddamn it !

Gbraga

I will I will, I bought it some time ago! But I watched a friend play it and it was awkward as hell. Not used to hearing my name in media :p. But it seems like it's becoming a more popular name so I guess I'll have to get used to it!

At least both Alicias have a cool character design :D

It's a great name though.

I don't think I'll ever see a Guilherme in a game, and I hope I won't.

>See this topic

There's only 1 thing for it, change your name XD

Dark_castle

Propably it will have mixed elements like Xillia. I only hope it is closer to Graces or Destiny HD than to any other tales.

The character designs are quite bland this time around but at least the female lead seems decently dressed unlike Milla.

Also the saga going back to a more classic fantasy setting it's perfect for me, just what I wanted them to do.

Wasn't Vesperia, Graces, Xillia set in classic fantasy?

Anyway, I'm interested in seeing how the battle system is handled. Seamless transition would be great. News about larger open field is great too. Slay's face look funny though, along with the slightly generic art-style.

Seems like the battle design is taking hint from Graces f, which is perfectly fine by me. Like it more than Xillia's.

Pooya

Did the trees in Xillia drop 3d shadows like in 1:03 in this PV? don't really remember anything like that.

It bugs me how he clips right into grasses.

Sophia

Already I like the female protagonist way better than previous ones. I'm interested, especially if this is more open world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom