• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tatsunoko vs Capcom, new arcade fighter. (Viewtiful Joe in 'da house!)

kazuo

harSon said:
I always preferred 60/70's Japanese animation art :)

Agreed.

As for the direct pics, graphics are very unimpressive, but solid for what the game is.

I'll have to wait to see how it looks in motion (it BETTER be 60fps, no excuse with that level of graphics) and how it plays before making a judgment.

So far, I'm very excited. I love oldschool Japanese animation and I love Tatsunoko, so holy shit cocks.

Needs more Tekkaman.

RyanDG

TreIII said:
Hey, seeing how this probably IS Naomi or System 256 at work here, I think it looks damn fine, if not standard fare for those types of arcade boards.

I'm really interested in seeing what hardware this is on... There are so many low cost options out there, that it should be interesting to see what Capcom (and whoever is developing this) ends up opting for.

Dark Octave said:
What other characters belong to Tatsunoko?
Just googled Tatsunoko. Wow, there is a lot of material/characters to pull from. Some familliar and some not so familliar. I'm looking forward to this game now.

kazuo

RyanDG said:
I'm really interested in seeing what hardware this is on... There are so many low cost options out there, that it should be interesting to see what Capcom (and whoever is developing this) ends up opting for.

My money is on NAOMI.

Dreamcast port?

BELIEVE.

also KYASHYAAAAAAAAAAN~

Any word on:

teknoman.jpg

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
The-Switcher said:
SamuraiPizzaCatsWallpaperSm.jpg

"They're so bad! *WAAAH!* They got more fur than any turtle ever had!"
Speedy Vs VJ battles are going to be jawesome! ;)

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Wow, this game is fucking gorgeous! Do want more and more and more and more! :O

I can't wait to play as
at least two of
them:
15drhgy.jpg

haunts said:
You people are blind if you say this looks better than SFIV. I dont even want to have this conversation, but lets get real, this doesnt even look as good as SF3 or even MVC2 imo.

I understand the SF4 damage control, but don't be rediculous with the sf3/mvc2 business..

It's pretty plain to see here that the artstyle used in this game (for the sf characters) is MUCH better as it actually looks closer to drawn/painted cels of the classic Capcom art in comparison to the disproportioned, texture heavy, googly-eyed/goofy faced, bulky, exaggerated remixes that are in SF4.

If dimps did this game, I'll be pissed that they didnt go the same route artistically in sf4.

CamHostage

Looks good, I like the art style.

My concern for the arcade port to home systems is that the licenses may be tricky to secure outside of Japan since they're tied up with so many other companies (plus, nobody here knows here who Gatchaman is), so it could be an import-only game. Still, I hope it plays as well as the other VS games.

CamHostage said:
Looks good, I like the art style.

My concern for the arcade port to home systems is that the licenses may be tricky to secure outside of Japan since they're tied up with so many other companies (plus, nobody here knows here who Gatchaman is), so it could be an import-only game. Still, I hope it plays as well as the other VS games.
Dude, it's G-Force! Not to mention they have a movie coming in 09. But yeah this ain't leaving Japan.

Perdew

Why is this game being compared to Street Fighter IV? IV is trying to do something different and new graphically, this game is following a traditional and expected route. This is just as franchise fap-worthy as Smash Brothers on a tighter budget, and will probably be just as balanced.

I'm looking forward to it, but come on, cut that shit out.

I'm very, very happy to see Servebots in there too. Maybe they are playable again? And I so want (classic) Rock and Blues to go against Casshern and Racer X now. Hopefully they give Rock Rush, also.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
abacab driver said:
I understand the SF4 damage control, but don't be rediculous with the sf3/mvc2 business..

It's pretty plain to see here that the artstyle used in this game (for the sf characters) is MUCH better as it actually looks closer to drawn/painted cels of the classic Capcom art in comparison to the disproportioned, texture heavy, googly-eyed/goofy faced, bulky, exaggerated remixes that are in SF4.

If dimps did this game, I'll be pissed that they didnt go the same route artistically in sf4.

SFIV looks ridiculously good. I hate to keep pulling the "i played it card", but I will. This game cant hold its own against SFIV. The backgrounds alone show that, but the character models are so much more detailed in SFIV than this game.

MvC2 looking better is obviously a bit of a stretch but most of the characters in MVC2 even have much more detail than what we have here, and 3s whoops this game in the visuals dept easily. The characters just look flat and bland, but I'll of course give it some time to come together.

Basically whats going on in this thread is this is the first 2d game to come out of capcom in a while and people are losing it. If this had any other developer/characters slapped on it ppl would say it looks like shit. The new KOF and even the Guilty Gear series already blow this out of the water.

KTallguy

Banned
I think this game is a nice yang to SF4's yin.
It's like MvC2 vs 3S all over again.
That's great, right? I hope that they both get popular.

And fuck, they better both come to the US soon, I'm sick of waiting for shit like Tekken 6, that stuff needs to be released.

Ferrio

Banned
haunts said:
Basically whats going on in this thread is this is the first 2d game to come out of capcom in a while and people are losing it. If this had any other developer/characters slapped on it ppl would say it lokos like shit. The new KOF and even the Guolty Gear series already blow this out of the water.

It's not 2d...

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Ferrio said:
It's not 2d...

Well it plays on a 2d plane right? and the characters look like sprites anyway.. i mean whatever, 2.5d/closest thing to "real sf"/whatever you want to call it.

LiK

as mentioned before, we are not comparing TvsC and SFIV in gameplay or anything like that. we are merely talking about the art style and chara designs.

Ferrio

Banned
haunts said:
Well it plays on a 2d plane right? and the characters look like sprites anyway.. i mean whatever, 2.5d/closest thing to "real sf"/whatever you want to call it.

Just like SFIV.

So your argument is that people are fawning on it cause it looks nice... compared to SFIV? Why is that bad?

Not to mention they'll be more characters than the same of SFII cast + a few others.

Sagitario

Jocchan said:
Wow, this game is fucking gorgeous! Do want more and more and more and more! :O

I can't wait to play as
at least two of
them:
15drhgy.jpg

The name of this, please... I used to watch it when I was a kid...

haunts

Bacon of Hope
imo SFIV doesnt really look like a traditional 2d game or even 2.5 game or cell shaded game or anything else. It has its own distinct style which i personally think is great. Its just comments like "this is what SFIV should have looked like" are retarded because this game looks flat with minimal detail, with backgrounds that might as well have been scrapped stages from MVC2.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
haunts said:
imo SFIV doesnt really look like a traditional 2d game or even 2.5 game or cell shaded game or anything else. It has its own distinct style which i personally think is great. Its just comments like "this is what SFIV should have looked like" are retarded because this game looks flat with minimal detail, with backgrounds that might as well have been scrapped stages from MVC2.

Some people simply don't like the look of SF4. It's about as simple as that. Gameplay wise, 99% of people on there don't know, but visually, people can make up their own mind. If they think a more sprite look would be better for SF4, that's what they think. Some people think SF4 looks amazing, which is fine too. Different strokes.

If people want to say this, KOF XII, or whatever looks better than SF4 or vice versa, what's the problem?

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Tell me how not having parrying is a step backwards fist off.. You should read more about the saving attack, its really the best of both alpha counters and parries. I do agree that having the cut away for the supers is a little ridiculous. Ive said over and over again that it should be reserved for K.O.s

Kintaro said:
Some people simply don't like the look of SF4. It's about as simple as that. Gameplay wise, 99% of people on there don't know, but visually, people can make up their own mind. If they think a more sprite look would be better for SF4, that's what they think. Some people think SF4 looks amazing, which is fine too. Different strokes.

If people want to say this, KOF XII, or whatever looks better than SF4 or vice versa, what's the problem?

thats the thing, i really don't have a problem if people want SFIV to look like the new KOF because it really looks amazing. but this game? come on, the whole concept is pretty retarded anyway and the flat low detail sprites aren't helping at all. you guys dont want old school SF character like Blanka and Guile but "OH WOW SAMURAI PIZZA CATS!! GIVE ME MORE!" wtf??

i mean really, when it was first announced I was like "okay, samurai pizza cats and all this shit is lame but if it looks dope and you can do a dial a combo then whatever", and hey, gameplay wise it may be a blast, but the graphics cant compare to almost any modern 2s/2.5d fighter, and saying SFIV should have a similar style is ridiculous.

ElFly

I am not really a fan of SF4's "grainy" look. It makes the game look unpolished.

This, on the other hand, sports a very soft and elegant cell shading. It took me a couple of seconds to realize they are not sprites. It looks fucking great.

LiK

haunts said:
thats the thing, i really don't have a problem if people want SFIV to look like the new KOF because it really looks amazing. but this game? come on, the whole concept is pretty retarded anyway and the flat low detail sprites aren't helping at all. you guys dont want old school SF character like Blanka and Guile but "OH WOW SAMURAI PIZZA CATS!! GIVE ME MORE!" wtf??

i mean really, when it was first announced I was like "okay, samurai pizza cats and all this shit is lame but if it looks dope and you can do a dial a combo then whatever", and hey, gameplay wise it may be a blast, but the graphics cant compare to almost any modern 2s/2.5d fighter, and saying SFIV should have a similar style is ridiculous.

why is it retarded? it's supposed to be just a big ridiculous tournament to appeal to fanboys on both sides of the equation. VS games have always been crazy but they're also super fun. we haven't seen what this game looks like in motion so i'm reserving judgement for the graphics in general.

haunts

Bacon of Hope
Himuro said:
It's a trademark of Vs. games. It's basically the spiritual successor to MvC2. We LIKE whacky Vs. hijinks. We've been waiting for this since what? 2000? 2001? of course we're excited. MvC2 and the other Vs games are some of our favorite fighting games.

Lay off.

Furthermore, the reason we think SFIV should look like it, is the art style. The art style in IV is awful, as are the character designs. What's so bad about the sprites in this game? Sounds to me like you've got a chip on your shoulder. Enjoy your Street Fighter II: 3d version.

You have to be blind to not understand why someone would prefer the look of TvC over SFIV

You're right about the wacky hijinks, I'll give you that, and maybe the choice isnt so bad thinking of it that way. I do think there are other alliances with some studio/anime they could have made with more well known characters to make a better, more appealing game. Like Gainax Vs Capcom, Naruto Vs Capcom (that would be sick) or something would be ridiculous.

How is the art style in SFIV bad? The amount of detail in each model and back round is insane. One could argue the characters look a little goofy, but almost every SF has looked a little goofy compared to like say KOF, GGX, Tekken or any other fighting game really. I think its a good progression of the series.

Im not the one who is blind here, the game looks like its running on a naomi board or something. the characters have no detail, look flat, and uninspired.

RyanDG

haunts said:
SFIV looks ridiculously good. I hate to keep pulling the "i played it card", but I will. This game cant hold its own against SFIV. The backgrounds alone show that, but the character models are so much more detailed in SFIV than this game.

I don't mean to sound like an ass, but it's never a good thing to pull the 'i played it card' and then go on to bash a game that you haven't played yet and only have a few squashed (traditionally not very good) Famitsu images to go on...

haunts

Bacon of Hope
RyanDG said:
I don't mean to sound like an ass, but it's never a good thing to pull the 'i played it card' and then go on to bash a game that you haven't played yet and only have a few squashed (traditionally not very good) Famitsu images to go on...

Well there is a lot of detail in SFIV that simply dosent come across in youtube video or whatever else because of the style. It could be the same for this game, sure, but I doubt it. Looks like paper cut outs or something.

Teknoman

haunts said:
You're right about the wacky hijinks, I'll give you that, and maybe the choice isnt so bad thinking of it that way. I do think there are other alliances with some studio/anime they could have made with more well known characters to make a better, more appealing game. Like Gainax Vs Capcom, Naruto Vs Capcom (that would be sick) or something would be ridiculous.

How is the art style in SFIV bad? The amount of detail in each model and back round is insane. One could argue the characters look a little goofy, but almost every SF has looked a little goofy compared to like say KOF, GGX, Tekken or any other fighting game really. I think its a good progression of the series.

Im not the one who is blind here, the game looks like its running on a naomi board or something. the characters have no detail, look flat, and uninspired.

So you've seen the game in motion?

LiK

Himuro said:
And the graphics look so omg too! I can't wait to see it in motion.

indeed. i'm more excited to play the various characters. i don't even know why they say we're comparing this to SFIV. it's a VS CAPCOM game so obviously it'll include all sorts of crazy characters. Viewtiful Joe and Dante would be sweet :D

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Anyways, enough about SF4 here. This isn't a SF4 topic anyways. It was bound to happen, but lets move on. I'm interested to see how many characters they include on each side, plus which arcade hardware they're running on. Hope gameplay details hit over the summer. What kind of battle system, counters, parries, etc. Tag battle? 2 v. 2? So on.

CASSHERN!

LiK

Kintaro said:
Anyways, enough about SF4 here. This isn't a SF4 topic anyways. It was bound to happen, but lets move on. I'm interested to see how many characters they include on each side, plus which arcade hardware they're running on. Hope gameplay details hit over the summer. What kind of battle system, counters, parries, etc. Tag battle? 2 v. 2? So on.

CASSHERN!

i'm also curious what other characters will be in the roster as well. if they had Frank from Dead Rising that would be hawt.

TreIII

HK-47 said:
Leon S. Kennedy plz

Since Leon did make his first appearance in RE2, I guess he passes. Honestly though, I want more Retro-Capcom love.

Really, the only exception to this "rule" I have, should be the likes of Viewtiful Joe, Gene the God Hand and Dante. Everybody else needs to have come from the 80s or 90s, for maximum retro power. :D

Mega Man bosses in realistic proportions would make a great addition - whether alone or as a team character. Some are pretty close cousins to Tatsunoko heroes. Quickman vs. Casshern would be fantastic.

Ferrio

Banned
TreIII said:
Since Leon did make his first appearance in RE2, I guess he passes. Honestly though, I want more Retro-Capcom love.

Really, the only exception to this "rule" I have, should be the likes of Viewtiful Joe, Gene the God Hand and Dante. Everybody else needs to have come from the 80s or 90s, for maximum retro power. :D

You're fucking brilliant!

LiK

TreIII said:

Final Fight guys, Super Joe Bionic Commando (fits the retro revival), Arthur from Ghouls N goblins, Captain Commando

Teknoman

254px-Mm4pharaohman.jpg

A long shot, but Pharaohman could have some potentially amazing attacks. That and along with Skull man, Turbo man, and Search man, he's one of my favorite robot masters.

Top Bottom