• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Hunger Games (Dir. Gary Ross) |OT| May The Odds Be Ever In Your Favor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Someone who knows the books can spoil me via PM or something: how long does Clove survive? I want to see the Orphan girl, but I'm guessing she's a very minor character without much face time.

She lasts a lot, actually. Highlight the spoiler below if you want to know exactly how much:

She ends up the Games placed 6th.

I will be incredibly mad if this turns out crap.

The hype is asphyxiating me.

And flawless OP, by the way.

From the trailers, the involvement of Collins, Lawrence, early impressions, and what we've already heard of the soundtrack, I'd say there's about 0% chance it'll turn out crap.

shira

Jennifer Lawrence kind of has a sharp butt

5xvha.jpg

JGS

Banned
I keep hearing this. What's the difference really? I tore through the books so I kind of forgot how they described it.

And I don't like the casting of Haymich. Should've been Edward James Olmoss.
It's supposed to be vibrant and colorful. The outfits and make-up are supposed to be impossible. It's largely the sci-fi part of this movie. The trailers make it look like the capital is dull and gray and the make-up looks like Victorian quality.

I can't imagine the outfits Katniss is supposed to be wearing actually looking as described in the book.

JGS

Banned
I also see they butchered Katniss OMG AMAZING dress.
Dangit, I didn't see that. I figured they couldn't pull it off given the lack of attention they gave to the whole city.

If this is a huge hit, they are going to have to upgrade. maybe they put all their money into the games themselves.

JGS

Banned
I thought Woody was a good choice.
Agreed. I think he'll be able to play smart drunk pretty good.

Assuming the sequel happens I hope they play the tape that shows how he won the Games

It will be a shame if they don't do all three books.

Oops, didn't mean to double post.

Koodo

Banned
It's supposed to be vibrant and colorful. The outfits and make-up are supposed to be impossible. It's largely the sci-fi part of this movie. The trailers make it look like the capital is dull and gray and the make-up looks like Victorian quality.

I can't imagine the outfits Katniss is supposed to be wearing actually looking as described in the book.
There are scans of the companion photo book and the costumes are downright disappointing, if not awful. The biggest facepalm was the costumes the tributes wear for the talk show; pretty sure I saw more risqué outfits in my high school prom.

I'm hoping all the budget and authenticity went into the games themselves (of which we've only seen about two seconds of footage).

Kinyou

So is the whole scenario as evil spirited as in Battle Royal, or is the only similarity that a bunch of people are fighting?

Replicant

So is the whole scenario as evil spirited as in Battle Royal, or is the only similarity that a bunch of people are fighting?

IMO, the government in "Battle Royale" feels more sinister. The Capitol is also nasty but they are a bit upper-class-ish in their nastiness so it doesn't feel as threatening as the army-regime government in Royale.

I enjoyed the books against all odds, so I'm looking forward to this. Wish it could have been R, but obviously that ain't happening. I wonder how many parents are going to bring young children to see this without reading any background info on it.

JGS

Banned
IMO, the government in "Battle Royale" feels more sinister. The Capitol is also nasty but they are a bit upper-class-ish in their nastiness so it doesn't feel as threatening as the army-regime government in Royale.
Yeah, the books make a good point that the Capitol doesn't actually know how evil they are or despised. They're totally clueless "Let them eat cake" types.

I haven't read Battle Royale though. This is nothing like Ender's Game though.
3 books? 13 days?

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED.
I read each book over a weekend. Each of them are instant pageturners.

Adent

Can't manage for sh!t
The Long Walk also by Stephen King should be under Also Recommended. She probably read that.
"One hundred teenage boys participate in an annual walking contest called "The Long Walk," which is the "national sport"."

200px-Bachman_Long_Walk.jpg

Replicant

Yeah, the books make a good point that the Capitol doesn't actually know how evil they are or despised. They're totally clueless "Let them eat cake" types.

I haven't read Battle Royale though. This is nothing like Ender's Game though.I read each book over a weekend. Each of them are instant pageturners.

What scares me about Battle Royale's government is that it feels very real. I came from a country with an almost similar strict "respect the government or else" attitude so I got the creeps from seeing something like Royale unfolds.

stldave2

I powered out the trilogy in a single weekend on the beach.

I won't lie, I am admittedly over-excited for this movie. I liked the first book (my favorite of the 3) and I have been a big Jennifer Lawrence fan since Winters Bone.

LordCanti

You could do it in 3.

I did it in one. A female friend kept nagging me, and I didn't want to spend multiple days on it, so I just tore through them. Once you realize that she really can't vividly describe a scene for crap (for the most part), and that interesting things only occur when there is quoted text (speech), you can really trim the fat.

Brazil

I was sure that
Rue was going to try to murder Katniss in her sleep
but then I remembered that I wasn't reading Battle Royale.

Yeah, haha. That thought crossed my mind too.
I prefer the way Collins did it, though. Can't wait to see that scene in the film.

Can someone clear up something from the trailer for me?

In the trailer it shows a pin being placed on a little girl for luck. But from what I read in the book
the pin comes from a completely different girl after the choosing
. So my question is this, why the change?

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Nice OP.

I hope the movie is awesome, I'm stringing my friends who haven't read the books to come along with me.

Arment

Can someone clear up something from the trailer for me?

In the trailer it shows a pin being placed on a little girl for luck. But from what I read in the book
the pin comes from a completely different girl after the choosing
. So my question is this, why the change?

They probably removed that character from the movies entirely. She isn't really that important.

People comparing this to Twilight obviously haven't read the book. It is *nothing* like Twilight. The love triangle just happen to be there, not the main story like it is in Twilight.

I'm excited for this movie!!

Brazil

Amazon keeps telling to read this, but i say hell no. YA is a terrible terrible genre.

Too bad for you.

People comparing this to Twilight obviously haven't read the book. It is *nothing* like Twilight. The love triangle just happen to be there, not the main story like it is in Twilight.

You didn't know? Twilight invented love triangles.

JGS

Banned
And I think that is why it will bomb.
Given the pre-purchased tickets, it is impossible for this to bomb even in the first weekend. Whether it will be a megahit is a different story.

I personally see this having legs assuing the movie is good and word of mouth is good.

Struct09

Looking forward to the movie. I'm not much of a reader, but my girlfriend got me to read the trilogy. I saw Battle Royale a long time ago, but honestly prefer this fiction a little more.

Koodo

Banned

The book is certainly nothing like that thing, but the marketing of the movie thus far has been handled in a quasi-Twilight way. Whether the movie itself ends up being twisted to pander to the Twilight audience remains unknown. We'll know soon enough.

And I think that is why it will bomb.
On the contrary, they have the right ingredients to make it an enormous success. Romance, sci-fi political drama, a lot of action. They can potentially satisfy a very wide audience.

Violet_0

Banned
Battle Royal is not actually a good movie, but I heard the book is supposedly pretty great. Really, I mostly just like the concept of last man standing survival games, wish they'd use these settings more often in various media.

Pau

wrong

I-Shall-Wear-Midnight-Terry-Pratchett.jpg

(well, mostly true, but there are exceptions)

((why did they not make this into a movie yet))
Oh this is a good post. Terry Pratchett's YA novels are as good (and sometimes even better) than his "adult" stuff. And yeah, I'd kill for a Tiffany Aching series.

Anyways, I'm moderately looking forward to this. I read the first novel and while I love the idea, I wasn't a fan of the execution and prose and thought it focused too much on the romance aspects. Really hope the movie doesn't focus on that even more...

PhiLonius

Finished reading the first two books this weekend. Liked it a lot more than I thought I would.

But all I kept thinking was that the 'Games' themselves would make an awesome multiplayer game.

Also kind of excited for the movie now.

JGS

Banned
Yeah. The movie will be a huge hit, probably surprisin ga lot of people.
The biggest thing to worry about was it's main premise. A lot of kids die in this- some in pretty gruesome ways.

The initial Cornucopia scene should be a bloody good time

Now that it's almost out, it doesn'tseem to be an issue.

.GqueB.

Banned

Don't be a fool. The suits are banking on the twilight comparisons so I can guarantee you that love triangle would become the whole point behind the movie. It won't be nearly as political as the book aims to be.

TEAM GALE!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom