• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Vampire Diaries S5 | OT | and who are we kidding The Originals S1 | OT | too

Status
Not open for further replies.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I appreciate Caroline snapping the witch guy's neck. She is getting more and more violent.

Meh, she know he was gonna come back after they had executed their plan. She needs to spend more time with Enzo to get more violent.

V_Arnold

Goodbye, Vampire Diaries. The way your writers managed to write themselves into corners after corners, making even death feel mundane and pointless, power to be abused without consequences, urges and guilts acted on without remorse...it was magnificent.

But I wont bear this a second longer.

Caelestis

After this season I really feel burned out on both VD and Originals. Might not come back for more next season unless something changes about the shows.

Joni

I liked the finale, but they should have brought back Lexi! Damn it Lexi! Tyler could have stayed dead instead of you. Good she found peace, but I think 'the darkness' just sucked up everybody to hell or heaven depending on their stance.

I don't think everyone is human again. The vampires died as vampires so they'll still be vampires. They wouldn't have appeared on the other side if they died as humans. Katherine and Tyler died as a traveller and a werewolf, so they had rights to be on the other side without their powers.

I hope Damon comes back. If he doesn't come back, Bonnie can stay dead too. It would have been more exciting if Elena was stuck on the other side because I could believe Nina leaving, but I think Ian enjoys the show too much.

After this season I really feel burned out on both VD and Originals. Might not come back for more next season unless something changes about the shows.
Im done with Diaries. Not even Elena hitchhiking every episode could bring me back. Just really piss poor circular writing...

Birbo

Same here. Unfortunately, it's my wife's favorite show and she's still 100% bought in. Didn't understand why I wasn't worried when Stefan died and spent the last 10 minutes of the finale sobbing.

Been watching since Day 1, and it's been a great ride, but this season was just a mess. Super glad Alaric is back though. Would have been fine if they killed off a few characters (Jeremy, Matt and/or Tyler come to mind) and brought Lexi back.

flyover

Im done with Diaries. Not even Elena hitchhiking every episode could bring me back. Just really piss poor circular writing...

It's just become more conventional, which is too bad.

I've mentioned it before, but what made the series so great for most of its first three seasons was its pacing. Kevin Williamson (one of the two original showrunners) said that he knew audiences were savvy enough to predict any twist or storyline they could throw out there. So, the key was to make so much happen so fast that the show felt fresh and unpredictable. The episodes were always so dense with activity that you couldn't help but feel surprised -- and just feel like stuff (stuff that mattered) was happening, even if what happened would be undone a few weeks later. As far as pacing, I thought it was the most well-crafted show on TV.

The last two seasons have been different, since Williamson started focusing on his other show (The Following) and the other showrunner, Julie Plec, had her attentions split between TVD and getting The Originals started. The pacing has slowed down a lot, to the point that it feels no different than most other shows.

Or maybe it's not TVD that's changed so much. I mean, I think it has, but I could be wrong. Maybe it's that other shows are catching up, and also that we audience members have adjusted to TVD's pace, so that it feels more conventional. Guess I'd have to rewatch the earlier seasons to know for sure.

All that said, I thought Matt's line about blowing up the only place stupid enough to hire him and Jeremy was one of the best in show history.

Pachimari

TVD and Originals rocks. Period.

I really loved both finales. The crap thing is, that there's never any permanent death and I have a hard time believing Damon won't be back either.

anyway, I'm totally on for next season. I just don't know what stories they can tell anymore. Maybe Season 6 will focus on bringing Damon back.

I honestly thought Season 5 would lead up to a war between the gang, seeing all that promotion about "battle lines".

No matter what, I hope they continue beyond Season 6 even if it'a shit. The Vampire Disputes and The Originals are the only tv shows I watch.

Also they should have brought back Lexi and the chemistry between Damon and Alaric but they didn't. Tyler, Matt, Liz and Jeremy have no role anymore, get rid of them.

Should I create the thread for the next seasons when time comes? :)

Somnia

TVD and Originals rocks. Period.

I really loved both finales. The crap thing is, that there's never any permanent death and I have a hard time believing Damon won't be back either.

anyway, I'm totally on for next season. I just don't know what stories they can tell anymore. Maybe Season 6 will focus on bringing Damon back.

I honestly thought Season 5 would lead up to a war between the gang, seeing all that promotion about "battle lines".

No matter what, I hope they continue beyond Season 6 even if it'a shit. The Vampire Disputes and The Originals are the only tv shows I watch.

Also they should have brought back Lexi and the chemistry between Damon and Alaric but they didn't. Tyler, Matt, Liz and Jeremy have no role anymore, get rid of them.

Should I create the thread for the next seasons when time comes? :)

For sure, just do a dual thread like this one with TVD/TO... no idea on a subject line.

The Vampire Diaries S6 + Originals S2 | OT | Bring back Rebekah!

Vazduh

I'll be the first to admit that the finale was fun, but dying really doesn't mean anything on the show anymore.

Apparently the ratings for the finale were only 1.57 million. If that's not a clear sign for the CW to pull the plug after the 6th season, then I don't know what is.

RIP the show that used to be.

The Vampire Diaries (2009 - 2011)

The Vampire Diarrhearies (2011 -)

Somnia

I'll be the first to admit that the finale was fun, but dying really doesn't mean anything on the show anymore.

Apparently the ratings for the finale were only 1.57 million. If that's not a clear sign for the CW to pull the plug after the 6th season, then I don't know what is.

RIP the show that used to be.

The Vampire Diaries (2009 - 2011)

The Vampire Diarrhearies (2011 -)

Overall viewer numbers don't matter, it's the rating. It got a 0.8 which is up from recent episodes, but down from last years 1.1 season finale. CW shows tend to have high DVR viewership and for the CW a 0.8 is very much a show that lives on.

Joni

Overall viewer numbers don't matter, it's the rating. It got a 0.8 which is up from recent episodes, but down from last years 1.1 season finale. CW shows tend to have high DVR viewership and for the CW a 0.8 is very much a show that lives on.
For perspective: Arrow, The Originals and Supernatural also got a 0.8 this week. None of those however have the same online and international viewership as The Vampire Diaries.

kirblar

For perspective: Arrow, The Originals and Supernatural also got a 0.8 this week. None of those however have the same online and international viewership as The Vampire Diaries.
Fantasy is HUUUGE overseas. (Hence why Hannibal/GoT stick around/get a massive budget, for example.)

Birbo

In not so surprising news, given how S5 ended and the hole it created, Enzo is a regular as well.

Meh, something about him doesn't jive with me. His coolness and bond with Damon seems forced, like they were trying to fill the Alaric hole.

Vazduh

Oh, I see, thanks for the explanation!

Btw, do any of you think that the lead actors will extend their contracts? They signed up for 6 seasons, but whenever I read interviews with Paul Wesley, he seems over it. There was even a recent interview with both him and Nina Dobrev, and both of them pointed out the fact that dying on TVD means nothing anymore, I guess they're not happy with the show (and who could blame them?).

Somnia

This is also the reason Beauty and the Beast got renewed over Tomorrow People, it gets HUGE international numbers so it continues on despite getting a 0.3 or lower rating every week in America.

kirblar

This is also the reason Beauty and the Beast got renewed over Tomorrow People, it gets HUGE international numbers so it continues on despite getting a 0.3 or lower rating every week in America.
Also, TP was boring. Tried watching the premiere and bleeeehhhhhh.

Faith

I completely forgot that Esther turned Alaric into an immortal being.

But Elena died (and turned into a vampire) and that broke the spell of Alaric? Or did I miss something?

kirblar

I just realized, with VD becoming sort of a sausuge-fest (2 girls: 5 guys) and them being vague on what's happening to Damon/Bonnie.... + that sort-of-sounds-like-goodbye letter from Somherhalder + Enzo (miniDamon) being added to the cast?

Bonnie/Damon are totally going to end up on Originals. The consecrated remains clearly seem to trap the spirits locally, so the NO witches being the "out" to keeping them from Oblivion makes perfect sense.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm enjoying The Originals more these days, but I still like TVD.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Me and my wife enjoyed both season finales, even though the seasons themselves were just meh. I can't see The Originals getting a third season, to be honest, just calling that now. Once Rebekah left, I mentally checked out of that show. Not even Hayley keeps me interested.

Nina Dobrev and Candace Accola are the main reasons why I still put up with VD, although I admit I think Paul Wesley's entertaining. I'm interested in seeing where both shows go next season, but it's time for Vampire Diaries to start winding down. It's not a 6+ season series, I think. It's already pushed things to the point of absurdity the past few seasons. Once death stops becoming meaningful, you need to call it quits. I didn't even blink when Stephen "died," that's how meaningless dying is on that show.

Pachimari

I really think they should just get rid of Bonnie, Matt, Liz and Tyler.
And have the regulars be Elena, Damon, Stefan, Caroline, Enzo and Alaric. Would like to have Lexi back as well.

But maybe they'll be more interesting next season, now that Matt Donovan will have a new job.

TripOpt55

I'm finally caught up on both of these again. I'm really not digging TVD much anymore. I had zero reaction to the deaths in the finale. I got to believe they are both coming back. I could certainly do without Bonnie. My only issue with Damon at this point is that I guess I just don't like him and Elena together. I have never really shipped either couple, but Elena and Stefan together bothered me less I suppose. Marcos was also a totally shit villain. Hopefully they have something better in store for next season. I was excited as hell that Alaric came back though! Him and Katherine were my favorite characters, so at least he will be around next season.

After a great start, my enjoyment of The Originals just sort of waned as the season went on. I did like the finale a lot though. The Klaus/Rebekah/Hope scene was pretty excellent. I watched the last few episodes this week. First I was thinking how much I just hated all the werewolves except Haley. Then that one chick that stepped in for the Father to represent the humans came in and I was like, "Wow this chick is the worst!" Yep, turns out she is a werewolf. I hate all the werewolves. It's probably Tyler's fault. Let's just blame him.

Joni

It's just become more conventional, which is too bad.

I've mentioned it before, but what made the series so great for most of its first three seasons was its pacing. Kevin Williamson (one of the two original showrunners) said that he knew audiences were savvy enough to predict any twist or storyline they could throw out there. So, the key was to make so much happen so fast that the show felt fresh and unpredictable. The episodes were always so dense with activity that you couldn't help but feel surprised -- and just feel like stuff (stuff that mattered) was happening, even if what happened would be undone a few weeks later. As far as pacing, I thought it was the most well-crafted show on TV.

The last two seasons have been different, since Williamson started focusing on his other show (The Following) and the other showrunner, Julie Plec, had her attentions split between TVD and getting The Originals started. The pacing has slowed down a lot, to the point that it feels no different than most other shows.

Or maybe it's not TVD that's changed so much. I mean, I think it has, but I could be wrong. Maybe it's that other shows are catching up, and also that we audience members have adjusted to TVD's pace, so that it feels more conventional. Guess I'd have to rewatch the earlier seasons to know for sure.

All that said, I thought Matt's line about blowing up the only place stupid enough to hire him and Jeremy was one of the best in show history.
I kinda forgot to respond to this post, but I have been thinking about it and I think the problem is the reverse of what you think. I don't think the pacing has slowed down, I think it got faster, but at the cost of the development of the story lines. There were way too many stories, and almost none of them were developped properly.

For instance, Silas replaced Stefan, started his search for Amara, Stefan came back, Tessa showed up, Amara was found; and Amara/Silas/Tessa are killed in the span of seven episodes. It was a huge story season 4 worked to from the start, but that is dumped in seven episodes. 'Augustine' is another story line messed up due to high pacing and low development. First you had the mystery of the 'Augustine' vampire, but we don't learn about the 'Augustine' society. Dr Wes does research and disappears. His adopted 'son' is important, but ignored half of the season. Wes makes the vampire drinking vampire blood virus, Dr Wes disappears again and we get Enzo, whose past is never taken up very much. Wes comes back and infects Damon with the virus who gets healed again. We also had the Katherine storyline, Nadia, something with the Travellers, another thing with the Travellers and then the real story line of the Travellers with Markos. We still don't know what The Travellers actually are and how they differ from the witches.

One of the best seasons was season 2. It was Caroline turning into a vampire, the arrival of the werewolves and the curse of the moonstone for Klaus. There were less story lines, they were slower, but they were written way better.

flyover

I kinda forgot to respond to this post, but I have been thinking about it and I think the problem is the reverse of what you think. I don't think the pacing has slowed down, I think it got faster, but at the cost of the development of the story lines. There were way too many stories, and almost none of them were developped properly.

One of the best seasons was season 2. It was Caroline turning into a vampire, the arrival of the werewolves and the curse of the moonstone for Klaus. There were less story lines, they were slower, but they were written way better.
You make some really good points. You're right. There do seem to be too many story threads now. Maybe it was the focus of the early seasons that made them feel faster and better paced to me. Not as many things happened, but what did happen felt consequential.

Pachimari

Alaric to be a regular next year on Vampire Diaries

I suddenly feel the urge to watch this past season just to see the glorious return of Alaric.

For instance, Silas replaced Stefan, started his search for Amara, Stefan came back, Tessa showed up, Amara was found; and Amara/Silas/Tessa are killed in the span of seven episodes. It was a huge story season 4 worked to from the start, but that is dumped in seven episodes. 'Augustine' is another story line messed up due to high pacing and low development. First you had the mystery of the 'Augustine' vampire, but we don't learn about the 'Augustine' society. Dr Wes does research and disappears. His adopted 'son' is important, but ignored half of the season. Wes makes the vampire drinking vampire blood virus, Dr Wes disappears again and we get Enzo, whose past is never taken up very much. Wes comes back and infects Damon with the virus who gets healed again. We also had the Katherine storyline, Nadia, something with the Travellers, another thing with the Travellers and then the real story line of the Travellers with Markos. We still don't know what The Travellers actually are and how they differ from the witches.

This post is spot on about it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom