• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toys R Us Buy 2 get 1 Free October 16-22

GrotesqueBeauty said:
What the what? They actually have Super Princess Peach in stock? If I didn't already have it I would totally jump on that.
I heard Nintendo reprints out of print games for TRU every so often for special Mario sales or holidays. I've seen Super Princess Peach, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, among others.

Hawk269

AniHawk said:
you can buy games and return them within 45 days as long as they aren't opened. so if you wanted to get batman, uncharted 3, and skyrim, you'd get two games and batman, and then bring all three back with a receipt the day skyrim comes out. they'll exchange the two games for uc3 and skyrim, and you'll get batman free.

not all stores do this, so ymmv. i have personally done it though, no problems.

Incorrect and noboby fall for this as this was stopped last year. Basically, if you do this, when they go to re-ring the 3 games, the sale is no longer valid and you wont get the free game. This will **ONLY** work during the sale period (1 week).

gogojira

I'm finding it so hard to justify this. I know it's a good deal, but I have so much shit in my backlog with more to come and Battlefield, Skyward Sword and Skyrim are right around the corner. Oh, and TOR in December.

Two of the three would probably rot long enough in my backlog to where I could just as soon get them on some really good sale before I'd even play them.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Im assuming buy online pick up in store doesn't work for this deal? Dark Souls isn't carried at any of my local stores so I figured id buy it online and have it shipped to the store and pick up two other games. Would that work or is it strictly in-store stuff?

gcubed

just came back to pick up games i've been missing.

Gears 3
Dark Souls (PS3)
Rage (PS3)

Got Dues Ex today from Amazon for 35.99 on sale as well.

May go back to grab Batman this week when it releases with 2 more. This plus Uncharted 3, etc should make me a hermit this winter.

Allonym said:
Im assuming buy online pick up in store doesn't work for this deal? Dark Souls isn't carried at any of my local stores so I figured id buy it online and have it shipped to the store and pick up two other games. Would that work or is it strictly in-store stuff?

are you using the online checker for that? My local store online said it didnt carry Dark Souls, yet i went there today and there was a stack of them in the case.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
gcubed said:
just came back to pick up games i've been missing.

Gears 3
Dark Souls (PS3)
Rage (PS3)

Got Dues Ex today from Amazon for 35.99 on sale as well.

May go back to grab Batman this week when it releases with 2 more. This plus Uncharted 3, etc should make me a hermit this winter.

are you using the online checker for that? My local store online said it didnt carry Dark Souls, yet i went there today and there was a stack of them in the case.
Yea I used the store checker. But thanks for the heads up I was going to take a drive and see but I guess I don't have to now but I may just to be certain I can't wait until Tuesday, I am flying out of HD like a bat out of Hell.

nonnocere

Deus Ex, Ico Collection and Batman would be great.

If I wasn't knee-deep in Dark Souls and Disgaea 4.

I love/hate Q4 every year.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Shin Johnpv said:
Because I have more important bills and needs than leaving 130 bucks sitting around waiting for TRU to do their sale all year long. Being a freelance artist, and having long bouts of no work can really suck.
You can't pull the freelance artist card on me. I know that life all too well. But if you buy two full price games a year (why are you paying full price if money is tight anyway?) buy them in October. If you can't afford $130 over the course of a year you probably shouldn't be buying and playing video games in the first place.

BruiserBear said:
Has Amazon matched this yet?
Amazon had a buy 2 get 1 sale around this time last year but it was select titles and there's no promise they'll do it again this year.

Phloxy said:
Can you pick up two of the same game for this deal?
You can pick up three of the same game if you like. Just don't plan on returning two of them for titles coming out in the future.

MoogPaul

This is the time of the year when I pick up all my non-day one purchases. I keep a list and wait for these sales. I'll probably only hit up the TRU one once, holding out on the assumption that best buy and/or amazon will have one soon. Today I got:
Dead Space 2: 29.99
Gears of War 2: 19.99
Vanquish: Free

60 bucks in total with shipping. Not great, but it'll do.

Tyeforce

I think I've decided what I'm gonna get for the sale. Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure for 3DS, Professor Layton and the Last Specter, and Yoshi's Island DS. I've always wanted Yoshi's Island DS, but I never got around to getting it. And I also want to get into the Professor Layton games, and since Last Specter is first in the chronology of the series, it's a perfect place to start. But I want Skylanders today, so I think I'm gonna just buy that today, then come back later in the week with my receipt to pick up the other two for the sale.

jackdoe

SamuraiX- said:
Somehow I doubt they'll be able to. They'd have to make every title they have part of the offer and I don't see them doing that.
At best, they'd have a limited selection of titles to choose from. They could either match this or match Best Buy's (if it happens). Of course, if they do run the sale, a lot of the games that are usually at a lower price would probably jump back up to MSRP.

bumpkin

jackdoe said:
At best, they'd have a limited selection of titles to choose from. They could either match this or match Best Buy's (if it happens). Of course, if they do run the sale, a lot of the games that are usually at a lower price would probably jump back up to MSRP.
It would probably be tough to get them to match or at least mildly inconvenient if you can. When I got Best Buy to price match Toys R Us' infamous 2-for-$50 fiasco, the condition was I needed a printed copy of the ad and TRU needed to have the games I wanted to buy in-stock (the BB cashier called like they were a customer to ask). When the ad isn't necessarily listing specific titles, it's probably going to be harder to get them to match it.

The sale actually works for select pre-orders online. Unfortunately the online sale is kind of a scam because they charge you separate shipping for each item, leading to outrageous shipping prices. I preordered Layton 4 online and bought Kirby Mass Attack and Tetris Axis and ended up paying $7 for shipping, which isn't too bad, but then I tried to order a few $20 games and they wanted me to pay $12 to ship them, so I cancelled the second order. Then I went to the store and picked up Steel Diver (was $40 in store but they pricematched the website which is selling it for $20), Super Monkey Ball 3D and the new Wayforward Aliens game (which was on a $20 clearance rack for some reason so they gave it to me for $20 when it was supposed to be $30).

jackdoe

bumpkin said:
It would probably be tough to get them to match or at least mildly inconvenient if you can. When I got Best Buy to price match Toys R Us' infamous 2-for-$50 fiasco, the condition was I needed a printed copy of the ad and TRU needed to have the games I wanted to buy in-stock (the BB cashier called like they were a customer to ask). When the ad isn't necessarily listing specific titles, it's probably going to be harder to get them to match it.
Oh no. I meant match Best Buy's own sale. They have run a similar sale to Toys R Us last year and that was when Amazon matched it if I remember correctly.

Really really tempted to do this. Trying to save money, but this is too good of a deal and there a ton of games I want that I've been holding out on due to trying to hold onto money. UGH

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Liferebooted said:
Planning on ordering Batman, Dark Souls and Gears 3 this week. Just went to do it but it won't work with Batman being a preorder =[
It works if you order online. I just did Batman 2, Dark Souls and Rage. Batman 2 will ship separately.

goldenpp72

I'm trying to do dark souls, ratchet all 4 one and rage, why is ratchet charging me 5 bucks for shipping when it says free shipping -_-

I was there the minute they opened and one mom, who was there with her son and both were aware of the sale, was going on these long rants about "dickholes" buying up games and selling them on eBay and kept looking at me.

I just wanted Dark Souls, man.

olubode said:
It works if you order online. I just did Batman 2, Dark Souls and Rage. Batman 2 will ship separately.
Weird, when I try to do that it says $180 =[ Ahhh! Got it, had to remove the stupid free toy that Batman was giving me since it doesn't combine with other offers. Dropped down to $120 as soon as I did.

Ugh, signed up for that30 day trial of the free 2 day shipping shit and then noticed it only worked on Gears 3 and not Dark Souls or Batman -_-

TehOh

Think they'll have Layton out in the morning? I want to swing by on my way to work and grab it (with a couple of other games.. thinking Kirby Mass Attack and Okamiden).

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Liferebooted said:
Weird, when I try to do that it says $180 =[ Ahhh! Got it, had to remove the stupid free toy that Batman was giving me since it doesn't combine with other offers. Dropped down to $120 as soon as I did.
Yeah, it was annoying that the toy thingy was messing up the deal.

TehOh said:
Think they'll have Layton out in the morning? I want to swing by on my way to work and grab it (with a couple of other games.. thinking Kirby Mass Attack and Okamiden).
I'm hoping to pick up Okamiden too. The site says they don't sell it in stores, guess we'll see.

TehOh

dr3upmushroom said:
I'm hoping to pick up Okamiden too. The site says they don't sell it in stores, guess we'll see.

All of my local stores have Okamiden in stock, so hopefully your's will too.

I've been meaning to grab it for a while. No time like this sale. :)

Berordn

TehOh said:
All of my local stores have Okamiden in stock, so hopefully your's will too.

I've been meaning to grab it for a while. No time like this sale. :)
Mine didn't when I went to check this morning, I was hoping to do the same... Hope it's better everywhere else.

omgkitty said:
I'm really disappointed Amazon hasn't matched this yet. I don't want to have to drive to Toysrus. I hate that place!

I ordered my games Sunday night from Toysrus using free shipping and the first 2 are already on a ups truck for delivery, bastards won't ship Batman until today since its the release date and they don't do release day delivery it seems -_-

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Normally I don't do deals like this, but I took the plunge and got Arkham City, Dark Souls, and Rage. All PS3 versions.
*looks at wallet and cries*

Not going to do it. Not 3 titles worth parlaying.

The best I could come up with is:

Batman (want this a lot)
Rage (pretty lukewarm on this)
Forza 4 (dont care for driving games, but it would probably be my third game for this deal right now because I dont see anything better)

Too bad they didn't do this deal in another week or two. At least in a week you could add BF3.

Chairhome

KingHenrik30 said:
Anybody know if they have off the record here? I checked TRU's web site and didn't see it.
someone at CAG said they picked up off the record, so they should have it.

My TRU still doesn't have layton, they told me to call back in a few hours so they can check some boxes that came in today.

I'm getting Layton, Once upon a monster and one other I'm not sure of yet. Tempted to get Batman because of the PC delay, but I already have it paid for on PC, and I'm not one to play through a game twice, but resale value would probably be good on it. Might end up with Ratchet and Clank A4O.

Top Bottom