• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ultimate Fighting Game Tournament 9 | Fighting Game Tournament | May 24-26

Shimesaba

Also, Painwheel/Parasoul plays JUST like Sentinel/Captain Commando. OH MY GOD. I'm almost tearing up right now because I'd forgotten all of the expectations MvC3 brought with it when Sentinel got leaked. *sigh* If they brought him back to MvC2 status in MvC3, I would main him on point again; I might even drop Dormammu for him. Anyway, back on track. It felt like old times. On the way home I thought about it, and I decided that I'm going to buy Skullgirls. This is truly a game worth supporting, and more people should try it.

This was a great read. I'd be curious to see more about character inspirations/comparisons for how the other Skullgirls characters play. That was my favorite aspect of the voting process (reading all of the candidates' inspirations), but I haven't seen anything like it for the original cast.

Beckx

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";59531657]Is there someone who plays like Dio Brando?[/QUOTE]

Dio was listed as an inspiration for one of the vote DLC characters - either Isaac or Aeon, can't remember (edit: just checked, listed for both, but maybe doesn't mean much other than time hijinks). Doesn't really matter, they lost. But assuming SG continues to sell and there's a second game, Aeon is pretty set for it.

Yeah, time hijinks are just about the least important part of Dio's playstyle. Pretty much just style points. It's all about tandem attacks and teleporting everywhere.

Riposte

Karsticles, didn't you used to shit on Skullgirls or am I thinking of someone else? In any case, no one should be shitting on Skullgirls. It's a good game. /Rom

Karsticles, didn't you used to shit on Skullgirls or am I thinking of someone else? In any case, no one should be shitting on Skullgirls. It's a good game. /Rom
I've always said I didn't like the artstyle or the lack of characters. I've never commented on the gameplay except that it's hard to tell what's going on (I still think this is the case, and restanding characters is kind of "eh" from a visual standpoint). The game has some flaws (calling assists is troublesome), but in terms of pure gameplay I think this is one of the best games on the market right now. I never commented on the gameplay until last night because I'd never played it. I always hold off on that until I try a game.

I still find the lack of characters saddening, but 5 more are on the way, and it looks like this is a long-term project. It also really helps that in a small cast of 8, I found a character that feels perfect for me. Even in games with massive casts, I often can't find anyone I like. That was a really pleasant surprise. I definitely said some bad things about the artstyle in the past, but playing it in person is a different experience. It all animates so smoothly. I still don't like the character designs of Filia and Peacock.

Up until now, though, I've been verbally supportive of the game doing well, and I've always praised the developers for the features they added (awesome training mode + GGPO). I just didn't feel like it was for me, and now I do. At least, I don't recall ever saying anything other than the above.

I've always said I didn't like the artstyle or the lack of characters. I've never commented on the gameplay except that it's hard to tell what's going on (I still think this is the case, and restanding characters is kind of "eh" from a visual standpoint). The game has some flaws (calling assists is troublesome), but in terms of pure gameplay I think this is one of the best games on the market right now. I never commented on the gameplay until last night because I'd never played it. I always hold off on that until I try a game.

I still find the lack of characters saddening, but 5 more are on the way, and it looks like this is a long-term project. It also really helps that in a small cast of 8, I found a character that feels perfect for me. Even in games with massive casts, I often can't find anyone I like. That was a really pleasant surprise. I definitely said some bad things about the artstyle in the past, but playing it in person is a different experience. It all animates so smoothly. I still don't like the character designs of Filia and Peacock.

Up until now, though, I've been verbally supportive of the game doing well, and I've always praised the developers for the features they added (awesome training mode + GGPO). I just didn't feel like it was for me, and now I do. At least, I don't recall ever saying anything other than the above.

Everybody comes around on Peacock eventually.

Chev

MvC3 Sent was designed to look like MvC2 Sent while forcing people to use him the way he was designed to be, rather than how he ended up in MvC2.
Going on a tangent here, but could someone round here explain the difference between the intended and actual MvC2 sentinel playstyles to someone who isn't familiar with either?

Everybody comes around on Peacock eventually.

Design-wise, when I found out the reason her eyes are a cartoony black is because there's literally nothing there, just the eye sockets, and her actual functioning eyes are the robotic peacock feather-like ones on her arms it made me like her even more.

Going on a tangent here, but could someone round here explain the difference between the intended and actual MvC2 sentinel playstyles to someone who isn't familiar with either?

I'm not too familiar with MvC2 Sent, but he's more of a highly mobile aerial machine of death and destruction than its MvC3 counterpart.

Rhapsody

Banned
Official Final Numbers:
SSF4 - 218
UMvC3 - 209
DK - 181
INJ - 179
SFxT - 103
KoF - 78
TTT2 - 74
P4A - 64
MK9 - 61
SG - 44
VS - 42
SC5 - 38
MYST - 128
BBB - 128

Tekken's dropping faster than I thought it would. I thought it would've been at least higher than KoF.

Dahbomb

Sentinel in MVC2 has a lot of special moves built for zoning and controlling the ground. He has Drones, a projectile that comes off a normal and long ranged rocket punches. He also has a flight mode which I will get into later. He also has chip on his normals which tells me that you were not supposed to spam his normals in the face of the opponent and chip them to death... they do have some recovery.

The problem with that design in MVC2 is that playing a ground game is ass... characters get destroyed there especially Sentinel with his giant hit box which allowed every character in the game to have an infinite on him. You also couldn't up back much in MVC2, it opened you to guard breaks. So Sentinel players learnt to use his fly mode and restricted the use of his ground specials. Due to the way Sentinel's fly worked, it was extremely fast in mobility and people soon discovered he could fly/unfly/refly which allowed him to stay in the air longer while being generally safe. Coupled with the fly improving the potency of Sentinel's huge normals which did chip, Sentinel essentially became an aerial footsie character. When you watch him play you will realize what I am talking about... he is zipping around in the air faster than a lot of characters (despite being a heavy class character with a lot of damage, armor and health) and spamming his giant kick normals or stomping them to oblivion. This is why he was a god game in that game.

Fast forward to MVC3 where Sentinel is designed around what he originally was, a heavy character with zoning options and some aerial mobility. MVC3 Sentinel has even more recovery and worse he cannot safely fly/unfly/refly (he actually has no refly which was what made him interesting in MVC2). His flight cancel is slow as is his speed on the flight and his normals. His normals don't chip and he does not have armor on every move, only some. MVC3 Sentinel did have faster ground movement, a bit better Drones options and a command throw for mix up but his aerial game was garbage compared to MVC2. Sure having chip on all normals and armor on all moves was broken as hell along with being able to stay in the air for so long but they took away the aspect of Sentinel that made him interesting... the fast fly/unfly aerial footsies which when mastered made you look like a god damn Gundamn pilot. There are shades of that in MVC3 Sentinel as well but really its just disappointing in comparison.

Deps

Tekken's dropping faster than I thought it would. I thought it would've been at least higher than KoF.

Actually it's pretty decent for Tekken. After FR (200+ entrants), every tournament for Tekken was around 40 entrants. UFGT is the first time a decent # of people came out again. Once a major thats known for Tekken comes around numbers will go up again.

This is pretty nuts. Skullgirls had like 89 entrants last year and KOF is still going strong.

Where are the Tekken people? I dunno... I've been led to believe that they were a numerous lot throughout the years.

You dislike Beowulf more than Filia and somehow Peacock doesn't fit you. You are a strange one lol.
Dive Kick > Injustice.
Lucky for Injustice peepz that Dive kick isn't an official EVO game or they'd have to buy one of those Sony alarm clocks. :p

Rhapsody

Banned
Actually it's pretty decent for Tekken. After FR (200+ entrants), every tournament for Tekken was around 40 entrants. UFGT is the first time a decent # of people came out again. Once a major thats known for Tekken comes around numbers will go up again.

That's not bad then. I don't follow the Tekken community, but I thought that Tekken was the game a lot of 3D FG players would go to or learn on the side. Kind of like how a lot of people end up playing Marvel. But I suppose it's rather split.

You dislike Beowulf more than Filia and somehow Peacock doesn't fit you. You are a strange one lol.P
Well, my judgments are almost entirely aesthetically-based. A character looking good is often even more important to me than the character playing to my style. When a character has both, though, instant main (Dormammu, Painwheel - though Painwheel's voice is unappealing. My wife came in after I downloaded the game and said "That sounds like a guy"). I'll tell you what's wrong with all three of those characters for me:

Beowulf - boring looking. Talbain cosplayer with a chair.
Filia - Has a stupid look on her face, ugly hair.
Peacock - Looks like a freak (in a bad way), smokes.

Filia isn't my playstyle, so I don't care. Peacock is my playstyle, so it's unfortunate that I loathe the way she looks.

alstein

This is pretty nuts. Skullgirls had like 89 entrants last year and KOF is still going strong.

Where are the Tekken people? I dunno... I've been led to believe that they were a numerous lot throughout the years.

You dislike Beowulf more than Filia and somehow Peacock doesn't fit you. You are a strange one lol.

Lucky for Injustice peepz that Dive kick isn't an official EVO game or they'd have to buy one of those Sony alarm clocks. :p

Tekken folks tend to have jobs and have a harder time making it out, the online is super good which also hurts tourney numbers, and Tekken isn't friendly to newer players at all- so the "09'ers" play other stuff which is easier to learn. Bad netcode helps tourney entrants (also bad netcode means more folks who aren't good don't play online and find out that they're not good)

This is why Tekken's numbers have dropped hard. If Tekken is to succeed in the US in future, it's going to have to change.

Skullgirls- I think UFGT was first post-release tourney for SG, that's why it was so high.

Shouta

So it's just the Injustice guys crying about the game time?

Just like us SFxT guys a few months ago for getting shafted at like WB and a few other tournaments. Let them complain for a bit. Then again, at least they're going to get streamed. We've had a few events where the game got zero time. The hypest SFxT play (at FR) got a morning slot too, woof.

Tekken folks tend to have jobs and have a harder time making it out, the online is super good which also hurts tourney numbers, and Tekken isn't friendly to newer players at all- so the "09'ers" play other stuff which is easier to learn. Bad netcode helps tourney entrants (also bad netcode means more folks who aren't good don't play online and find out that they're not good)

This is why Tekken's numbers have dropped hard. If Tekken is to succeed in the US in future, it's going to have to change.

Skullgirls- I think UFGT was first post-release tourney for SG, that's why it was so high.
Tongue-in-cheek, right?

Shouta

Has SFxT fallen off again? I thought the patch brought it back?

It's doing fine enough, I guess. But it's not getting stream time still for any number of reasons. We had a pretty good GF at UFGT with CoolKid, aside from him blowing himself up, but it was at the 8am slot for us West Coasters, ugh.

Game needs to be talked about and shown to keep it up but that amount of mindshare has kind of fallen off the map again.

Karst should just wait for Eliza and see where that goes for him. :p
How did you know she's the most interesting newcomer for me? :-O I feel known.

I'm actually interested in 3/5 of the new characters. I don't get why Robo-Fortune is being done at all. Is it just because she's easier than a fully new character?

I'm interested in Squiggly 99% because people keep using her name and "Stalking Flare" in the same sentence. I'm interested in the sax dude because it's one letter away from sex, and he's a sexy lookin' guy.

SmokeMaxX

Just like us SFxT guys a few months ago for getting shafted at like WB and a few other tournaments. Let them complain for a bit. Then again, at least they're going to get streamed. We've had a few events where the game got zero time. The hypest SFxT play (at FR) got a morning slot too, woof.

In their defense, Injustice was pretty close to beating out AE/Marvel whereas I don't think SFxT EVER had the numbers (unless it was like its first tournament?).

Well, my judgments are almost entirely aesthetically-based. A character looking good is often even more important to me than the character playing to my style. When a character has both, though, instant main (Dormammu, Painwheel - though Painwheel's voice is unappealing. My wife came in after I downloaded the game and said "That sounds like a guy"). I'll tell you what's wrong with all three of those characters for me:

Beowulf - boring looking. Talbain cosplayer with a chair.
Filia - Has a stupid look on her face, ugly hair.
Peacock - Looks like a freak (in a bad way), smokes.

Filia isn't my playstyle, so I don't care. Peacock is my playstyle, so it's unfortunate that I loathe the way she looks.
I don't like Filia's face either. I feel like a blank slate was the wrong way to go when you've got a main character. Personally I would have gone with Parasoul since she is charismatic and tougher than all the ladies there except maybe Valentine.

LOL @ Beowulf

But everyone told us anime people that we needed to get a job to get out to tournaments? Can there be such a thing as being TOO successful? Answer me, Tekken players!
How did you know she's the most interesting newcomer for me? :-O I feel known.

I'm actually interested in 3/5 of the new characters. I don't get why Robo-Fortune is being done at all. Is it just because she's easier than a fully new character?

I'm interested in Squiggly 99% because people keep using her name and "Stalking Flare" in the same sentence. I'm interested in the sax dude because it's one letter away from sex, and he's a sexy lookin' guy.
I just got a special place in my heart for zombie girls and I need a new one since Capcom won't let the real Lei Lei come out to play.

I don't like Filia's face either. I feel like a blank slate was the wrong way to go when you've got a main character. Personally I would have gone with Parasoul since she is charismatic and tougher than all the ladies there except maybe Valentine.

LOL @ Beowulf

I just got a special place in my heart for blue girls and I need a new one since Capcom won't let the real Lei Lei come out to play.
Indeed. I would put $5 into a kickstarter that had "Filia's face gets redone" as a reward.

Maybe all of the bitter Talbain fans pooled together to get Beowulf into Skullgirls...DS and Skullgirls probably have similar fanbases.

I fixed your last sentence to make it more honest.

Top Bottom