• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shergal

People in general seem to have a hard time with the notion that animation can do more than kid films.

Is this Disney's legacy, or is there some other obscure cause?

Narag

I don't see what you're talking about. European movies -in general- that get to theoscrs are huge European success every time. Almost alway winning prizes in Cannes, London and Berlin too. It's nothing near obscure at all.

It's a matter of perspective. Wolf Children isn't obscure in its home territory either but would be in the US.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Technically speaking, a movie has to be shown in American theaters to be considered.

:(

Mystical Laws was robbed

I don't see what you're talking about. European movies -in general- that get to theoscrs are huge European success every time. Almost alway winning prizes in Cannes, London and Berlin too. It's nothing near obscure at all.

That may be, but obscurity is relative and success on one continent doesn't always translate into exposure elsewhere. Just look at how well Tintin fared in US theaters!

Branduil

People in general seem to have a hard time with the notion that animation can do more than kid films.

Is this Disney's legacy, or is there some other obscure cause?

The whole reason there's even a separate category for animated films is so the academy can continue to justify it's ghettoization of animated films.

It's a matter of perspective. Wolf Children isn't obscure in its home territory either but would be in the US.

That may be, but obscurity is relative and success on one continent doesn't always translate into exposure elsewhere. Just look at how well Tintin fared in US theaters!

You made it sound like they were rolling dices to find European stuff to be nominated, it's far from being the case.

Also it's not just Japan: Hollywood doesn't like Asia as the whole, generally speaking. When is the last time a Chinese/Korean/Japanese movie won anything? What about India? I think there are some serious bias in nominating stuff.

Dresden

I'd take Wall-E and Up over Ratatouille, but Ratatouille is a great film.

The beginnings of both Wall-E and Up are wonderful, but they fall apart after that. Concepts that should have been shorts instead of a full movie.

Ratatouille is my favorite Pixar feature . . . rip Bird.

zeroshiki

HK had Crouching Tiger despite it being pretty mediocre. India had umm... Slumdog Millionaire (although that is an American production). Japan has been shutout pretty consistently (then again, it hasn't had anything especially good recently)

The Academy is an American awards body giving out awards in America. Its only natural it give out awards to American productions.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'd take Wall-E and Up over Ratatouille, but Ratatouille is a great film.
Both films suffer from having incredible first acts that are disappointingly followed by overtly cartoonish story strands that clash with the relatively more serious mood that precede them. Too many mixed messages for me to even consider them in the top anything of Pixar.

HK had Crouching Tiger despite it being pretty mediocre. India had umm... Slumdog Millionaire (although that is an American production). Japan has been shutout pretty consistently (then again, it hasn't had anything especially good recently)

The Academy is an American awards body giving out awards in America. Its only natural it give out awards to American productions.

Then, why complin about the lack anime representation?

Still, ain't there a foreign movie award or something?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

The Mamoru Hosoda shout out was a joke to troll Branduil. lol I just brought the topic up because Brave winning it under any circumstance is evidence of how little the Academy even bothers to look at animation.

Narag

The Mamoru Hosoda shout out was a joke to troll Branduil. lol I just brought the topic up because Brave winning it under any circumstance is evidence of how little the Academy even bothers to look at animation.

That bad, huh? Looks like I should be glad I skipped it.

Both films suffer from having incredible first acts that are disappointingly followed by overtly cartoonish story strands that clash with the relatively more serious mood that precede them. Too many mixed messages for me to even consider them in the top anything of Pixar.

I really loved the second half of Wall-E. It was different from the first half, but it was a very cohesive film overall, and I feel that you can't have the first half of the film without the second.

Up does suffer some after the first act, but that first act is so amazing, and the ending is brilliant.

The Mamoru Hosoda shout out was a joke to troll Branduil. lol I just brought the topic up because Brave winning it under any circumstance is evidence of how little the Academy even bothers at look at animation.

Well your trolled succeeded epicly since we've all fallen into it :/

madp

The Light of El Cantare

This might just be the unwashed film scrub in me talking, but I'm not bothered in the least by there being a focus on honoring English-language films at an English-language awards ceremony. The only reason that animation is a sore spot for me is because the pool of potential nominees is so much smaller and one would think that this would push the Academy to select more exemplary foreign nominees to preserve the standards that animated films must meet in order to be eligible. Instead, they're perfectly happy to scrape the bottom of the American barrel and throw in a token foreign nominee as if this is going to obscure the fact that the other nominees were mostly chosen out of convenience and familiarity.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
That bad, huh? Looks like I should be glad I skipped it.

This is just me, but Brave was the most unremarkable Pixar film I've seen (and my loathing for Kelly MacDonald's character in Boardwalk Empire didn't do many favors for my perception of the protagonist....whatever her name was)

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

I think he means that just as japanese animation is more or less unknown to the general american populous, so too is most of Europe's output.

zeroshiki

Rinne is a case of the production not knowing what it wanted to be except that it wanted people to like it. So they tried everything they could think of: fanservice, mecha, yuri, space opera, romance and failed spectacularly.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Comments like these worry me. I'm like, more than halfway through the show (I think?) and it's great. Can the last third really be so bad?

You're two-thirds of the way through the first season.

What everyone is saying is to abandon all hope once you hit S2.

It was a travel ad with ugly mecha and lesbians thrown in. We were fooled by the entertaining first episode.

A lesbian-filled travel ad funded by Nissan. Just stop and think about the absurdity for a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom