• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: website update (March 12) - New music, alien races and more

Check the new battle video. There's a bird with huge balls on its neck.

I bet that's his weak point.

It does look pretty questionable:

iYh5wQz3eiI3V.gif

Just right when you mentioned that, I saw Gessenkou updated his translations for the website, saying also the same thing. Wonder what kind of mechanic is that? I'm imagining an escape shuttle going down to take the party out of the area lol.

It feels like a useless mechanic to me, if I need to escape from enemies, most of the time it means they can kill me in 15 secs.

random25

It feels like a useless mechanic to me, if I need to escape from enemies, most of the time it means they can kill me in 15 secs.

Same thing, though against enemies with ridiculous range like the Territorial Hayreddin from last battle video it maybe is the best option rather that withdrawing weapons and run.

Gambit

This video confirms that Elma and Lyn don't always have to be party members. There was some confusion in a previous thread, but in the video you can clearly see a party with neither of them.

Makes me happy. Though I don't share the Lyn hate, I might replace her with Serika very quickly. (If I can)

ivysaur12

Banned
This video confirms that Elma and Lyn don't always have to be party members. There was some confusion in a previous thread, but in the video you can clearly see a party with neither of them.

Makes me happy. Though I don't share the Lyn hate, I might replace her with Serika very quickly. (If I can)

Yeah, I saw that. Thank god.

EDIT: The Xenoblade Wikia makes a distinction between "recruitable playable character" and "playable character". Is this the case with Ru/Serika/Fry/Mardeth where they're different than the normal playable characters? Like, fixed level? Or do we just not know? Or is there no difference and that's just what's on the wikia?

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own

EDIT: The Xenoblade Wikia makes a distinction between "recruitable playable character" and "playable character". Is this the case with Ru/Serika/Fry/Mardeth where they're different than the normal playable characters? Like, fixed level? Or do we just not know?
Not you too

Esque7

I like Elma so I'll be keeping her around, but I'm removing Lyn asap.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I personally think your guys reaction to lyn is a bit too strong for a character you know so little about. Theres a possibility by the end of the game that you will just end up loving her and eating your words.

Dr. Buni

I don't get all hate Lynlee is getting. Then again, I think the hate for the characters model is hilarious (it is almost like people didn't play the original Xenoblade). Back to Lynlee, the only thing I dislike is her cutesy voice, but there still hope she will get a better on in the English dub.
I like Sawano, I just dont really think Xenoblade when I hear this. Will reserve judgement until I hear the whole OST though?
But you don't have to think "Xenoblade", this isn't Xenoblade, this is Xenoblade X.

Gambit

I personally think your guys reaction to lyn is a bit too strong for a character you know so little about. Theres a possibility by the end of the game that you will just end up loving her and eating your words.

agreed. I never disliked her, but her friendship with Tatsu has already endeared her to me. Still, Serika looks pretty cool, as do Irina, Lao etc. So I am just happy to have the option of choosing my mates.

L~A

Tidbits about the races:

– Nopon: they’re natives from planet Mira, you can do business with them.
– Ma Non: an alien race with really advanced technology. They’re pacifists.
– Baias: they're totally NOT pacifists. They’re hostile to Humanity, and they’re one of the main enemies in the game.

FryHole

I like Lyn a lot, though some of that does come from the terrific unofficial translations we've been getting - lines like "you're not a banana, you're a potato", "we should use you as bait" and that evil laugh in the battle video are really endearing. Plus, did I mention, she wields a GE mini gun.

Zolbrod

This game literally makes you fight Bias.

GOAT

Also, my mind keeps turning Ma Non into Mais Non.
I hope they are silly French caricatures.

EDIT: The Xenoblade Wikia makes a distinction between "recruitable playable character" and "playable character". Is this the case with Ru/Serika/Fry/Mardeth where they're different than the normal playable characters? Like, fixed level? Or do we just not know? Or is there no difference and that's just what's on the wikia?

That is just the Wiki guessing. We don't really know what is up with those characters, although Serika being in the new art points to them just being later game additions to the main party that hadn't been announced before the last video.

wanders

Man the rap is so bad. I actually wouldn't mind it if it were done by a native English speaker lol

Its still a kick ass track

moolamb

Man the rap is so bad. I actually wouldn't mind it if it were done by a native English speaker lol

Its still a kick ass track

I think the rap IS done by a native English speaker.

It's the singing that isn't... I could be hearing it wrong though.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I think at this point the music has become some kind of a meme. Even when a song is good or at list not bad it's cool to complain about it anyhow. The music from the new battle video for example is very fitting to the content and it's a good background music for a battle.

I learned to stop comparing the new music to Xenoblade since this is a different game with a much different atmosphere. Xenoblade's ost being so GOAT makes it difficult to warm up to the new direction of X. However judging it without prejudice, its pretty awesome. I do like the vocals and almost j-pop style of some tracks. Very futuristic, electronic, TWEWY-ish (aka contemporary but in the future).

The only thing that might end up letting the OST down are the engrish vocals (the rap of this new track is good though). If you have a fully voiced English localisation and they keep the original tracks with the awkward English, it might be a bit jarring. Should've gone with our perfectly bilingual Sarah Alainn for the vocals like the ending track of the first Xenoblade. (I'm just a huge Sarah Alainn fan)

DrWong

I think at this point the music has become some kind of a meme. Even when a song is good or at list not bad it's cool to complain about it anyhow. The music from the new battle video for example is very fitting to the content and it's a good background music for a battle.

Yep and well, I prefer this music to the Xenoblade one.

I'm not into rap, so I'm not entirely sold on a few of the tracks, but I like most of what I've heard. I guess even the rap will fit the game nice, to be honest. Xenoblade's OST is my favorite gaming soundtrack ever, but as some have said, it's a different game, with a different vibe, and I'm very happy with Sawano up to now. His tracks have a good sci-fi feel and are very dramatic, which I think fits the "lost in a dangerous alien planet" theme.

I'm liking these new updates aside from the battle music which I'm still indifferent to. I like the two named alien species. The dog like one is very Star Wars-ish while the other seems like it is from Metroid or something.

FryHole

People keep mentioning TLG, please XBX wishes it looked as good as TLG and on PS3.

Anyways cool update, thanks.

Hey, there's no need to make an issue of it, I think people were just mentioning the similarity in the stance/layout of the image. I think we can agree both games have their pros and cons, for instance TLG wishes it existed as much as XBX.

jorgejjvr

Damn, this is actually pretty darn epic, vocals and all!!! I don't get why people are complaining, downloading this ASAP

I love the original xenoblade soundtrack, I get this one is different but it definitely gives that sci-fi, alien world, mech vibe, which I'm sure it's what they are going for. I'm surprised how much I like this song. And the original xenoblade soundtrack is still there, people can still listen to it. I'm glad with this game we have two very different but great soundtrack

Plus I'm sure while playing the full game and with the full soundtrack it will make sense and 'click' for most people

jorgejjvr

If this game is even just half of what xenoblade was, then it will already be a masterpiece, and probably one of the best rpgs of this gen.

Edit: if anyone writes the lyrics of the battle theme plzz post them here

And can anyone post the previous songs up for download? This is xeno_sound4 so the previous 3?

For those who are wondering how the battle music will actually sound during the actual battles, try watching the Treehouse stream of XCX last year.

https://youtu.be/qKKiODpn6Fg?t=20m35s

Or this one from one of directs last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee0hbv_cQc0
Sounds the exact same to me. In the video uploaded uploaded 11th March 2013 the lyrics kick in fairly late into the song and in the videos you've shown the battle ends before it reaches the lyric part.

There is also the possibility that is is like a 6 sound channel track and the lyric channel will only kick where certain conditions are met (Mario Kart 8 does this with first place and location variants of track BGM and NSMB does this with the Yoshi drums).

The battle theme in previous videos didn't have those lyrics so maybe it's a version of the track that isn't going to actually be used in the game.
Because everyone knows that a games soundtrack is the first thing to be completed and never undergoes and adjustments or revisions so yeah it won't like the videos uploaded yesterday but like it did at the trade nearly a year ago...

Top Bottom