• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: website update (March 12) - New music, alien races and more

Zero²

Well, this thread is going better than I expected it to. DON'T LOSE YOUR WAY
Guess GAF just dont like Sawano that much, which contrast nicely with his overwhelming popularity. At least I'm loving the soundtrack so far, dunno about AoT but I'm definitely hearing a lot of Aldnoah.Zero and Unicorn on it.

wmlk

Zero²;155648380 said:
Guess GAF just dont like Sawano that much, which contrast nicely with his overwhelming popularity. At least I'm loving the soundtrack so far, dunno about AoT but I'm definitely hearing a lot of Aldnoah.Zero and Unicorn on it.

Unicorn was much better than the rest of the work. This isn't exactly Unicorn.

Hiltz

I don't hate the music even though its mostly cheesy , but I question if its going to feel too out of place during combat and if it's going to also interfere with the sound of battle chat of the party members. Monolith Soft clearly has taken a risk here. Fortunately, we won't have to wait too long until the game hits Japan, so perhaps there's a remote chance Sawano will make believers out of us. Maybe.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I don't hate the music even though its mostly cheesy , but I question if its going to feel too out of place during combat and if its going to also muddle the battle chat of the party members. Monolith Soft clearly has taken a risk here.

We already have footage of them battling with the music, it doesnt overpower the actual game, atleast in both the E3 treehouse footage and the battle footage they showed a while ago. It's going to get the job done in getting you pumped up.

random25

I don't hate the music even though its mostly cheesy , but I question if its going to feel too out of place during combat and if its going to also muddle the battle chat of the party members. Monolith Soft clearly has taken a risk here.

It really won't affect that much unless there's a way to adjust BGM volume and voice/SFX volume. Going by Treehouse gameplay footages last year, party dialogues overwhelm the battle music.

Edit: you sly fox :p

So, the battle video shows characters beating enemies having higher levels than themselves. I did a little bit calculation about the bonus EXP.

Code:
+-----+-------+
|Level|  EXP  |
+-----+-------+
|  -1 |  +10% |
|  -2 |  +25% |
|  -3 |  +50% |
|  -5 | +100% |
|  -6 | +125% |
| -11 | +350% |
| -12 | +400% |
+-----+-------+

My guess is +25% EXP per level lower between 2 and 7, +50% per level after 7. Grinding wont be a problem in this game like Xenoblade. :p

Lumyst

Music. Faces. Lyn. Graphics. This game is a walking hate magnet.

That reminds me of how after following the gaming community online, I discovered how practically all games become hate magnets in some form :p When I bought the first Xenoblade I was more of a gamer who played casually so I didn't adamantly follow gaming news, just bought based on prior experience, or if the "hook" looked interesting. I had played Skyrim recently, so when I happened to see Xenoblade, I thought "Nintendo made this big, epic adventure? They make new games like this? And it's highly rated? Sure I'll get it!"

It's really why I think games such as Tomodachi Life, Animal Crossing, etc. are Nintendo's bread a butter, and the fate of those kinds of games is more important to Nintendo than their big core games. Maybe they can't help but assume that the negative talk is indicative of which kinds of games to prioritize :p Like, there's threads dedicated to why people hate certain things about certain games, but to paraphrase a post I remember from last summer about Tomodachi Life and how it was charting, "I don't understand how this game is charting. You guys aren't even talking about it much at all here." (I think that was SmokyDave being sarcastic :p) In a way, what's good about people who play casual games is that they seem to purchase based on the essence of the game's content, what looks fun about it, will it make them smile, etc. Iwata described this game as "A massive RPG with an even bigger world to explore than Xenoblade on the Wii." I think core gamers' attitudes can sometimes affect those who make those kinds of split decisions about games. Like, there may be an elitist attitude around JRPGs that says people need to be hardcore into Japanese things to play them, or that they're only suited for certain pre-existing audiences only, or even that they're only a PlayStation thing. That kind of talk sort of conditions people to think "Then I guess this game/genre won't be for me." But I hope WiiU owners will be like I was with Xenoblade and see the essence of the content and make the decision that "a massive RPG with a big world to explore" is appealing.

Anyways, stuff like the gamepad navigation system, the contemporary sound to the music, the party including younger members, I think that's a reminder that there are things in the game that the younger players and new RPG players should appreciate, I often forget that a T-rated game theoretically can have teenagers be among those playing it. This game obviously has aspects to it that are built for the convenience of the players, especially new players, which seems to have become a running theme across Nintendo's games. But the game's creators have said they wanted to draw out the "Xeno" in the game's art, so it's neat to see them create what they want in the style they want, while being accommodating to new players.

Someone caught this in the battle video, at 2:03...

brFRcJi.png

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Someone caught this in the battle video, at 2:03...

brFRcJi.png

You can see it also on the minimap as a white point. By comparison the party members are green points. There are actually more sequences in the video where you can see a white point on the minimap, but that's the only point where it's in your view. Could it be NPCs maybe? Although the name suggest rather another player.

So, the battle video shows characters beating enemies having higher levels than themselves. I did a little bit calculation about the bonus EXP.

Code:
+-----+-------+
|Level|  EXP  |
+-----+-------+
|  -1 |  +10% |
|  -2 |  +25% |
|  -3 |  +50% |
|  -5 | +100% |
|  -6 | +125% |
| -11 | +350% |
| -12 | +400% |
+-----+-------+

My guess is +25% EXP per level lower between 2 and 7, +50% per level after 7. Grinding wont be a problem in this game like Xenoblade. :p
The problem with Xenoblade's level curve was that it was so easy to get overleveled, not the other way around though.

plank

You can see it also on the minimap as a white point. By comparison the party members are green points. There are actually more sequences in the video where you can see a white point on the minimap, but that's the only point where it's in your view. Could it be NPCs maybe? Although the name suggest rather another player.

You or I must be color blind! o_o

GDGF

Soothsayer
In the last four seconds of the new battle video you can see a white dotted online player issuing commands in a green text box. I think anyway.

Edit or maybe not. Thought the dot lined up.

Zero²

dat completely random grammatically incorrect German :D
Maybe Sawano skipped his German classes like me ;)
Anyway after years of listening to songs like Torukia from Yoko Kanno (which is one of my favorite composers) I dont really care for the pronunciation or grammar of the lyrics, only if they fit the theme and the scene they are in or are musically enjoyable.
And Sawano does that really well too, the first time I heard to Blumenkranz or Breathless while watching a particular scene, I knew I was a believer.

Edit: Damn fuck YT comments for informing that Origa is dead, damn. I'm sad now :(

Top Bottom