• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Breath of the Wild: official screenshots

Vire

Huh? Was the NX version shown?

Not to my knowledge. I was watching the Giant Bomb after show though and they had Mark McDonald on and he said he was speaking to folks (no idea who) and that's the impression he got.

Wouldn't seem that crazy to me since the Wii version and Gamecube version of Twilight Princess look virtually identical.

Shin-Ra

I wouldn't use these screenshots (even the 720p PNGs) too much as a gauge of image quality, there's scaling artefacts around the outer edges and HUD.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Nintendo should hire some gaffers to do coot gifs

thoraxeszelda8t7uc8.gif
The generation of particle effects continues to deliver

Thoraxes

Holy shit one of the background videos on the page with the day/night cycle in the background is like 541 MB, and 23:49 in length lol

Kuro

What's the point of NX if it doesn't have more power than a Wii U? They could just add some stupid handheld add-on to the Wii U if they need that function so bad. I would be finished with Nintendo if they release the NX and it stills runs games the same. Forcing me to buy the same hardware to play their new games which become more and more sparse. I just don't believe the game would look the same on NX. I would expect 1080p60 at the very least.

Wii and GC were in different situations.

NX will have plenty of power to do this game better justice. (As long as the gimmick is scrolling wheels and not anything weirder)

KrawlMan

Not to my knowledge. I was watching the Giant Bomb after show though and they had Mark McDonald on and he said he was speaking to folks (no idea who) and that's the impression he got.

Wouldn't seem that crazy to me since the Wii version and Gamecube version of Twilight Princess look virtually identical.

are you saying somebody was implying that they saw the NX version? If so that's definitely news (and a huge surprise ) .

If they happen to be about the same that's some incredibly depressing news . And the situation is not comparable to Wii / GCN, since those two systems were basically the same power.

Astral Dog

Wii and GC were in different situations.

NX will have plenty of power to do this game better justice. (As long as the gimmick is scrolling wheels and not anything weirder)
1080p slightly better framerate/textures/effects.

But i doubt the NX port will make certain people go from "this looks outdated and fugly" to " omg looks beautiful!" like some people expect to be.

There is enough to go around and get a good impression of the visuals, wich look imo quite pretty if a bit rough due to the open world and nature of the hardware.

KingBroly

Banned

The impression everyone else there has is that it's the Wii U version. Because there's no trickery going on.

Thoraxes

Well, the hardware between the Gamecube and Wii weren't too much of a leap between each other, especially at the start and end of a generation.

Nintendo doesn't strike me as the kind of people to lower their game's performance/fidelity potential just to have parity between systems.

Kilau

I'm so torn on the art style, it at least looks better than Skyward Sword art style . Also better in motion, but that's been true since the Wii.

What's the point of NX if it doesn't have more power than a Wii U? They could just add some stupid handheld add-on to the Wii U if they need that function so bad. I would be finished with Nintendo if they release the NX and it stills runs games the same. Forcing me to buy the same hardware to play their new games which become more and more sparse. I just don't believe the game would look the same on NX. I would expect 1080p60 at the very least.

Well the difference between the Wii version and gamecube version of Twilight Princess was very meagre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=26_jn8tLqkI

I really hope NX just pushes the game to its pinnacle in terms of performance and graphics. I already love this game so please let me love it more.

WetWaffle

It looks beautiful, almost like a Studio Ghibli work when you take it all in, draw distance is impressive, surprisingly large open world, but idk guys, the textures and foliage just takes me out of it, if they could just improve that a little bit, it would do wonders. Now to finish windwaker and twilight princess before the NX comes out.

The Argus

So I know this all just a dozen or so hours old, but do we know if we need the amiibos to unlock the wolf companion pictured? If so I better order my first plastic trinket...

If just the small first area of the E3 demo has this much variety, I can't wait to see the rest of the world. Plus considering the last shrine we saw, the temples in this game must be MARVELOUS

So I know this all just a dozen or so hours old, but do we know if we need the amiibos to unlock the wolf companion pictured? If so I better order my first plastic trinket...

I would assume so, but not 100% certain. They only showed wolf link off in the context of amiibo's (trailer + gameplay), so that's why I'm guessing it is.

Considering I didn't have TP, it cost me $40 from Amazon. Not bad at all considering I've heard that game is great.

The art style is gorgeous and the 3D assets (textures, models, shaders) all look fantastic and well-crafted.

The image quality is going to hold all that back, though, which is disappointing since I'm not gonna get the NX version. Wii U or nothing for me.

ok seriously, what is up with that awful music cut at 2:03 in the trailer? it's really distracting and located at the worst possible time...
Yeah I noticed it but thought the stream just fucked up. Seems like whoever edited it did. That's just terrible.

Surprised more people didn't notice.

Instro

Well the difference between the Wii version and gamecube version of Twilight Princess was very meagre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=3&v=26_jn8tLqkI

That's to be expected considering the hardware/power is practically the same. So unless that's the situation with the NX, I would hope Nintendo uses the time they have to deliver a good version of the game on that platform.

Aonuma made the comment that they would be the same experience, so that may be where this is coming from.

KrawlMan

Aonuma made the comment that they would be the same experience, so that may be where this is coming from.

I'm beginning to expect near parity between the two versions. It's probably best that I assume the worst , can't be disappointed that way :(

Ck1

Banned
I'm almost betting from watching countless hours of game play that this game somewhere in development switched to the NX as the primary console and then ported to the WiiU. Simply because the level of detail engine is working really hard on this version and you can tell that elements of the game seem like they've been reduced to suit the WiiU. So although Nintendo is adamant that both versions will have the same experience, I'm pretty sure that they won't pass up selling this game even further by showcasing a much more beautiful Zelda on NX...

Malus

I'd be really surprised if they bumped it to 60fps.

I'm mainly hoping for some anti-aliasing. But I really wouldn't be surprised to see parity. Prove me wrong Nintendo.

Meesh

I have a strong feeling that, like Zelda WW, this is a game where screenshots don't do its beauty justice. The screenshots are nice mind you, but to be able to see it in person in all its glory, that's probably the best way to enjoy it's art direction and the characters expressions.

majik13

ok seriously, what is up with that awful music cut at 2:03 in the trailer? it's really distracting and located at the worst possible time...
Yeah really strange cut. Thought it was a glitch in the playback at first. Its almost like they cut something out very last minute?

Mortemis

Banned
This game looks so damn beautiful.

I know not to expect too much, but if they can just get this running smoothly at 1080p on the NX then I'm a happy camper. That's not asking for too much right?
...right?

Sami+

It looks alright I guess, can definitely tell it's a Wii U game. Curious what the NX version will look like.

antonz

Yeah really strange cut. Thought it was a glitch in the playback at first. Its almost like they cut something out very last minute?

I have a feeling going spoiler free may have been a late decision. The cut clearly shows something happening at Hyrule Castle which they don't want us seeing

Top Bottom