• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Breath of the Wild: official screenshots

AmyS

Hoping for the NX version to have native 1080p, higher framerate, higher resolution textures, greater draw distance and more particle effects and some added AA.

That shouldn't be too much to ask assuming NX is roughly Xbone-level hardware. Especially given the manpower and time Nintendo has had for this project.

Roo

This freaking screenshot right here

WiiU_TheLegendofZeldaBreathoftheWild_E32016_background_09.jpg

its_beautiful.jpg

Vash63

All of the PNGs on Page1 look strangely washed out compared to the other video I've seen, maybe an improper 0-255 color conversion?

Anyway, those 4k shots on page 2 are glorious and just became my new backgrounds.

sonto340

Yeah I noticed it but thought the stream just fucked up. Seems like whoever edited it did. That's just terrible.

Surprised more people didn't notice.
I think everyone noticed and recognized it's intentional. The way the boss shows up and the video and audio are about to swell at the same time and it cuts.
It does the same thing later with the shadow thing.
It's a stylistic choice.

Hoping for the NX version to have native 1080p, higher framerate, higher resolution textures, greater draw distance and more particle effects and some added AA.

That shouldn't be too much to ask assuming NX is roughly Xbone-level hardware. Especially given the manpower and time Nintendo has had for this project.

At the very least I would think a stable high framerate, but other than that we can't know the NX at this point. Xbox 1 level power is possible, but so is the recent "we need to beef up the NX for VR" rumor. We can't know until later in the year.

Hermii

At the very least I would think a stable high framerate, but other than that we can't know the NX at this point. Xbox 1 level power is possible, but so is the recent "we need to beef up the NX for VR" rumor. We can't know until later in the year.

I personally dont believe that rumor considering the things Nintendo has said about VR. Unless Kimishima is a very different president than Iwata I dont see them jumping on VR.

Also the NX version of this game is not comparable to Twilight Princess. Wii and GC are both SD consoles without much of a power gap. No matter which rumor is true the NX will blow away the Wii U power wise.

Impressed and excited.
I hear its coming this year to WiiU. Any specific date announced yet?

Announcing a release date for this would be the same as announcing a release date for the NX, so dont expect that in a while,

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Honestly, I'd going to keep my expectations low for the visual differences between Wii U and NX.

1080p and less pop-in/better draw distance are the main things I want from that version. Then if they can cram in better textures, better grass draw distance, etc, that's just swell. Overall I think the U version already looks great, I just want those most glaring issues smoothed out on stronger hardware.

Kevtones

It's just so robust.

Really. Nintendo is putting its stamp here so watch the fuck out. Seriously they are quadrupling on it.

If the next 98-99% of the unshown game can match the level of interactivity shown today… GOAT and it won't be close.

Horizon: Zero Dawn as polished and pretty as it is really amplifies the qualities Nintendo brings to environments and encounters. Watch a stream of both and it's just like… Wow. Not discounting ZD and its focus nor its amazing tech… but man - Zelda just seems so much more fun.

what-ok

I personally dont believe that rumor considering the things Nintendo has said about VR. Unless Kimishima is a very different president than Iwata I dont see them jumping on VR.

Also the NX version of this game is not comparable to Twilight Princess. Wii and GC are both SD consoles without much of a power gap. No matter which rumor is true the NX will blow away the Wii U power wise.

Announcing a release date for this would be the same as announcing a release date for the NX, so dont expect that in a while,

I just realized this. I misread a review about it NOT coming in 2015. )=

Myriadis

So what it seems to be is that the great plateau is a tutorial area with a lot of different landscapes to play around in and get yourself used to in.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Stunningly beautiful. Now, make it less vast so that us old people have time to play it lol.

Pretty sure the game won't force you to explore everything. A main story run will probably be doable in like 20 hours or something. And as large as the world is, like most "massive" game worlds I'm sure you can traverse its length in like 10 minutes on horseback.

Kanyon

This game in motion looks absolutely amazing, I can't imagine what the NX version is going to look like (if there's any upgrade for it). Nintendo are just the masters of beautiful gaming art styles.

The Master Plan

Neo Member
I am excited for sure but I swear if I am forced to use the atrocious motion controls that I was forced to endure in Skyward Sword I will cut off my left hand. I couldn't even beat Ghirahim because I was forced to be right handed. I hope that they consider giving us normal controls or switch up the motion controls in this installation.

marmoka

Banned
Those screenshots are beautiful and gorgeous!!

I don't know about the plans Nintendo has behind the NX console and the its Zelda version, but they could improve the textures and visuals for that version, and make it run in 1080p-60fps.

And we have 4K screenshots of the Wii U version. Why not giving the option of playing the game in 4K, with Wii U visuals? If I have a 4K TV by then, I wouldn't mind, honestly.

KingBroly

Banned

I doubt a higher framerate is happening. Locked 30? Yes.

They won't confirm anything about it running better on NX until they reveal what NX actually is, I'll bet. Because we still don't know.

jdstorm

Banned
I am excited for sure but I swear if I am forced to use the atrocious motion controls that I was forced to endure in Skyward Sword I will cut off my left hand. I couldn't even beat Ghirahim because I was forced to be right handed. I hope that they consider giving us normal controls or switch up the motion controls in this installation.

It's designed for the gamepad and Pro controller. It's pretty obvious on most of the gameplay videos

You could have literally spent 2 minutes on YouTube and saved yourself that paragraph rant man

Rodin

Looks like sex. They went wild with tech on this one, like i said in the other topic there's a HUGE difference between Zelda and other games that run on Wii U level of hardware. Art is possibly the best ever.

Looks good enough to me, the art style more than makes up for the technical shortcomings. I'm hoping for some improvement with the NX, but the general sentiment that I heard from the press is that both versions are close to identical.

That was a pretty wild assumption from Gamespot based on something Aonuma said, but he was talking about the experience, not graphics. Like i said in the other thread, i think the NX version will look better but there's still a chance that it will just run at better res/frame rate and with some minor tweaks (better lod/shadow res and distance, AA, etc) if they didn't have the time to really take advantage of the more powerful hardware. Not saying this is the case, but it's a possibility imho, it just isn't what aonuma said.

takriel

Yeah I noticed it but thought the stream just fucked up. Seems like whoever edited it did. That's just terrible.

Surprised more people didn't notice.

Yeah really strange cut. Thought it was a glitch in the playback at first. Its almost like they cut something out very last minute?

Thank you for noticing this as well! I thought my mind was playing tricks on me.

Really strange indeed. Hopefully they'll release the full music track in its full glory soon.

VariantX

Honestly, I'd going to keep my expectations low for the visual differences between Wii U and NX.

Yeah they SHOULD, but I feel like they won't really take advantage of the new hardware in a significant way for visuals. I hope my negativity is proven wrong.

Looks great and let's not forget that the game has global physics. Most AAA games that we have now are just eye candy with ZERO physics and ZERO environment interaction.

Peterc

Looks great and let's not forget that the game has global physics. Most AAA games that we have now are just eye candy with ZERO physics and ZERO environment interaction.

Idd, we doesn't have to forget that, also the distance how far you can look and this played on wiiu hardware, it's just insane hat nintendo can do with gfx.

Maybe a good direction what they wanne do with the nx.

Are there some HD images released?

Steejee

Some improved textures, higher resolution, and less pop in is all the NX version would really need - all pretty straightforward if you are just throwing more power at it.

ozfunghi

I love how despite making Twilight Princess, Nintendo ended up doubling down on the cel-shaded / cartoon graphical style for Zelda. Really suits the series.

All the "mature" idiots still don't seem to get that. It was always supposed to look like this. A Link to the Past made this painstakingly obvious with it's chibby look (albeit in 2D). It was the first evolution of the 8 bit Zelda's where you could see what art style would fit the series better (and what was intended with the original Zelda in the first place). The N64 Zelda's looked the way they looked because the hardware couldn't pull off a cartoon/Cell shaded look without sacrifices. People mistook this basic look for it to mimic realism (while many characters' designs would also make it obvious that this was not the case).

It's basically all backlash from that Spaceworld demo imo. And TP was them giving in to what those fans wanted.

Peterc

There is a pillar of light appearing at the center part of the plateau (next to the title) at night.

The ambient sound is so atmospheric. I need to pick up a good headphone for this game.

Can i hear those sounds/music?
Do we have a link?

I actually don't like how this looks. The thin, moving grass with no shadows make the resolution seem worse.

There's no doubt I'll be buying this for the NX, so I hope there's a major improvement.

Caelus

I could never have imagined the next Zelda game to be a fusion of old Zelda concept art and the best of Japanese animation.... but this completely exceeded what I imagined.

The leap from Skyward Sword to this is pretty massive, time to hibernate for a year. ;_;

Top Bottom