• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speevy

Banned
The Animal Crossing character (whomever it is) should be able to grow things and heal himself. That would be awesome.

I'm still trying to figure out who it could be if it isn't K.K. Slider.

Anyone think this looks a little too modelly ? If ya know whaty i mean?
item06_070731d-l.jpg

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Speevy said:
The Animal Crossing character (whomever it is) should be able to grow things and heal himself. That would be awesome.

I'm still trying to figure out who it could be if it isn't K.K. Slider.

RESETTI.

Emotions

Speevy said:
I've never played Animal Crossing Wild World. Are there any universal town characters exclusive in that game?

Yes, there are like 4 or 5 new ones along with the old ones from the GC version.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Man, this item will suck if it gets thrown at you on a single floor stage and you have no hits on you and bam!, you f*cking die. Oh well, this at least confirms a Animal Crossing character.

Speevy

Banned
AlternativeUlster said:
Man, this item will suck if it gets thrown at you on a single floor stage and you have no hits on you and bam!, you f*cking die. Oh well, this at least confirms a Animal Crossing character.

The AC stage did, I think.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
AlternativeUlster said:

When its thrown at you, you pass through passable floors only. If you can't tilt down and fall through the ground you won't fall through it with this item.

AWESOME! This is gonna be a real killer item!

Oh I can just imagine the look of frustration on someone's face as they fall right through the floor to their death :lol

Edit: Actually I just had a thought, what would happen if you got hit with this item while you were in the air?

Meteor Smash maybe?

M3wThr33

Banned
KK seems too calm to be in this.
Tom Nook is the only one that could be evil enough.
Or maybe you just play as the generic boy or girl in a clone of the Ice Climbers.

Lobster

Banned
Nuclear Muffin said:
Edit: Actually I just had a thought, what would happen if you got hit with this item while you were in the air?

Meteor Smash maybe?

If you get hit by a Pitfall, you’ll drop through pass-through floors!

Dunno. This quote seems to mention that you don't get stuck when you're hit with it but pass through floors..but I don't see how you can in the air. Good question.

Tom Nook needs to be in, mainly due to forcing all of his residents into a lifetime of indentured servitude.
"Oh hey I just upgraded your house. Don't thank me, just spend the next few years fishing to pay me back."

Give him a shovel, a fishing rod, a net, and a slingshot. Top-tier for certain.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I'm going to proceed under the assumption that we will be getting an Animal Crossing character at this point. :)

Does the fact that the AC stage is not an unlockable indicate that the AC character is part of the starting roster? (Since Sakurai stated that no unlockables will be featured on the website until after the game's release).

The more new characters that are revealed for the starting roster, the more room it leaves for other new secret characters! I can't wait to find out the total character count. :O

The appearance of Tom Nook & KK Slider as NPCs in the Animal Crossing stage does suggest (though it doesn’t entirely rule out, I suppose) that they won’t appear as playable characters. I’m still guessing that if anyone from AC is going to make it in, it’s going to be Mr Resetti – he’s got the right temperament after all!

I’m also keeping my fingers crossed that Luigi will return in full Luigi’s Mansion get-up, complete with his Poltergust...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
MrCheez said:
I'm going to proceed under the assumption that we will be getting an Animal Crossing character at this point. :)

Does the fact that the stage is not an unlockable indicate that the AC character is part of the starting roster? (Since Sakurai stated that no unlockables will be featured on the website until after the game's release).

The more new characters that are revealed for the starting roster, the more room it leaves for other new secret characters! I can't wait to find out the total character count. :O
The thinking that a stage must mean that a character from the same game must be present means that stages without a character say Tetris (blatant speculation) can't be in the game.

I know both Bros and Melee had characters for all the stage, but does that mean Brawl must follow the same rules?

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Cosmonaut X said:
The appearance of Tom Nook & KK Slider as NPCs in the Animal Crossing stage does suggest (though it doesn’t entirely rule out, I suppose) that they won’t appear as playable characters. I’m still guessing that if anyone from AC is going to make it in, it’s going to be Mr Resetti – he’s got the right temperament after all!

I think we might be able to rule KK Slider out since he ALWAYS appears on Saturday night, but from the screens we've seen of the stage the AC NPCs in the background change randomly. They could easily have Tom Nook not appear when he is selected as a character.

BGBW said:
I know both Bros and Melee had characters for all the stage, but does that mean Brawl must follow the same rules?

Well, thats the thing... the stage isn't 100% fool-proof evidence, it's just a really really big clue.

Another clue: On the website, the AC stage and item are given an Animal Crossing icon. The assist trophy for Dr. Wright has a generic Smash Brothers icon rather than a Sim City icon, because Sim City does not have a fighter representative. The assist trophy for Samurai Goroh has the F-Zero icon, because F-Zero is represented in the game by a playable character (Captain Falcon).

Do SmashVille and the Pitfall have the Animal Crossing icon because the website format is being followed and an AC fighter is in the game? Or is this just a weird inconsistency? Either are likely, but so far we have evidence for the former. :D

(One last thing that can break this theory: Items from an unrepresented franchise might not deserve specific series icons, but maybe levels do? This would break the theory and wouldn't cause an inconsistency. We'll see!)

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
superbank said:
When its thrown at you, you pass through passable floors only. If you can't tilt down and fall through the ground you won't fall through it with this item.

Does it say that? What would the point of the item really if it just takes you down a level and then you go "Good show, now watch me jump back up." Then you jump back up or you could wait down below and be a liar.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
BGBW said:
The thinking that a stage must mean that a character from the same game must be present means that stages without a character say Tetris (blatant speculation) can't be in the game.

Tetris won't appear as it isn't a Nintendo-owned title/series... the closest thing to a "non-character" themed stage we could possibly see would be something tied to the Brain Age games. Even Panel de Pon has characters in Japan.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
MrCheez said:
Another clue: On the website, the AC stage and item are given an Animal Crossing icon. The assist trophy for Dr. Wright has a generic Smash Brothers icon rather than a Sim City icon, because Sim City does not have a fighter representative. The assist trophy for Samurai Goroh has the F-Zero icon, because F-Zero is represented in the game by a playable character (Captain Falcon).
Stages have their own icon. Look behind the stage name in both Bros and Melee.

DavidDayton said:
Tetris won't appear as it isn't a Nintendo-owned title/series... the closest thing to a "non-character" themed stage we could possibly see would be something tied to the Brain Age games. Even Panel de Pon has characters in Japan.
It was a rubbish example but I'm on holiday and I left my thinking cap at home.

Somnid

I'm pretty sure they aren't putting AC characters in as playable. They aren't fighters. It has an icon because the franchise still makes large contributions in other ways, both a stage and an item and I wouldn't be surprised to see an assist trophy either. I'm kinda sick of this whole "every character needs to be playable" attitude, there are just some franchises and characters where its just not going to work out, AC is one of those.

traveler

Not Wario
Somnid said:
I'm pretty sure they aren't putting AC characters in as playable. They aren't fighters. It has an icon because the franchise still makes large contributions in other ways, both a stage and an item and I wouldn't be surprised to see an assist trophy either. I'm kinda sick of this whole "every character needs to be playable" attitude, there are just some franchises and characters where its just not going to work out, AC is one of those.

IAWTP. Sim City is another example.

PepsimanVsJoe said:
Tom Nook needs to be in, mainly due to forcing all of his residents into a lifetime of indentured servitude.
"Oh hey I just upgraded your house. Don't thank me, just spend the next few years fishing to pay me back."

Give him a shovel, a fishing rod, a net, and a slingshot. Top-tier for certain.
Tom Nook with the 'Golden Axe' as his weapon. :D

I'm pretty certain that we're going to get one Animal Crossing character in SSBB, and I can't really see why they would be less appropriate than, say, Jigglypuff or Mr Game & Watch.

If Sakurai & Co. are going to include an AC character, I'd guess the shortlist would be something like:

Copper
Crazy Redd
KK Slider
Mr Resetti
Tom Nook

I can't see any of the other AC regulars making it over one of these characters if they do go for an AC fighter. Hopefully we'll know soon enough now that both a stage and item from the AC universe have been confirmed.

Speevy

Banned
Copper!

I forgot about him.

I think the most likely scenario (I might be wrong though) is that they'll give a generic name to your little bobble-headed character, let him swing an axe/shovel, and that's the character from Animal Crossing.

Speevy said:
I think the most likely scenario (I might be wrong though) is that they'll give a generic name to your little bobble-headed character, let him swing an axe/shovel, and that's the character from Animal Crossing.

I hope you're wrong, as that kind of approach is perfect for a player's Mii, and I'd like to see an AC character with its own moveset, Final Smash etc.

TBH, I'd be very surprised if they didn't incorporate Miis into the game in some way, either as computer-controlled opponents - as with the wireframe fighters - pulling the Mii info to generate them from your Wii, or letting you play as your Mii with a generic moveset for some special game mode.

Scribble

I think Miis will definitely make it in, some way or another.

As for Animal Crossing, I don't know. This game is "Nintendo Allstars", and Animal Crossing has been VERY successful. On a personal level, however, the characters don't do that much for me. Well, except Mr.Resetti XD I'

Maybe Smashville is enough represenation. The central part of Animal Crossing is the village, anyway, and they replicated that within Brawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom