• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeed

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
I think the amount of traffic will increase in this thread by double what it is now after the game comes out.

After all, what is more exciting than talking about a game before release? Talking about it after it comes out.
We'll have an Official Thread two weeks before launch.

Zeed said:
It's probably more complicated than it just being a spinoff (Sakurai's second game was in fact a Kirby pinball spinoff). We know that Sakurai originally intended to have the game on the N64, but under mysterious circumstances the game was scrapped and moved to the Gamecube, where the final product just wasn't very good. I'm trying to find out what exactly Sakurai said in that interview where he openly criticized Nintendo, but all I'm getting is that he was upset about the "circumstances surrounding the development". I think that this might have been another "Starfox Adventures" incident, where Nintendo bureaucracy screwed up a game in spite of the developer. I don't believe that Sakurai would've left on a whim.

Not quite the interview you're looking for, but here's the Nintendo Dream translated transcript (Aug. 26, 2003) about his departure from HAL...

"It was tough for me to see that every time I made a new game, people automatically assumed that a sequel was coming. Even if it's a sequel, lots of people have to give their all to make a game, but some people think the sequel process happens naturally.

With times as they are, it's really difficult to make any money for yourself, and I know that I'm taking a big risk here. It's entirely possible that I could just fade right away without ever seeing the light of day again. But even if that happened, I've already decided to myself that I should keep on doing the work I can do, even if it's not all about games.

When I look across the entire game industry, I think we're at a point where we can't get away with being lazy. The game industry is in big trouble, don't you think? Not a lot of people can survive off game sales these days, and the possibilities that games have to offer are growing smaller and smaller, I think. If games were able to receive a certain amount of support-if people had fun with them, if they sold well-then we should be seeing more innovative, more positive games come out one after the other. But that's not the future I'm seeing right now. The risks are so big that misfiring with one title can flatten an entire company.

That's why you see places trying to stay alive by putting out tons of budget titles and re-releases. Every game company, no matter who they are, is desperate right now. So one possibility is that people will say 'I can't live off this anymore' and leave the game industry in droves. You see a lot of people use terms like 'console wars' and compare the whole thing to a fight for territory. You [the interviewer] and lots of other people in the game industry get termed 'Nintendo people' or 'Some other console's people' by someone you've never even met. But this is no time for that, I don't think.

If I want to keep producing games as a business, then staying at HAL would be a more stable place to do that. HAL has its advantages. I get a reasonable amount of pay, living in Yamanashi prefecture isn't that bad, the rent's cheap, and I get national insurance, you know?

But I don't care about that sort of stability. Right now I'm far more concerned about the fact that the game industry, which is built from the balance between developers, publishers, and users, is beginning to fall apart at the seams. I think it's possible for me, as a developer, to have people think about this problem through the development work I do. If I stay in one spot, then I can only communicate this to a limited number of people around the company, but if I can go out and reach more people, I think there are lots of people with far greater abilities than myself out there in the world. I mean, I'm entirely focused on games and I really can't do all that much myself, but if I can get in touch with people that have other great talents, then I think that will set off a chemical reaction and in the end we'll have a chance to make new games and better things. People with these talents might be at a loss at what games to make, and perhaps I can help make up for that in exchange for lending me their talent. This may sound idealistic, but it's really what I think.

If one game sells 40,000 copies and another one sells 20,000 copies, then one sold twice as much as another, right? But if you work for a company, this isn't reflected much in your salary. No matter if your game sells or not, you'll get money deposited in the bank every month on the month, so sometimes you see cases where developers get indifferent towards money and lose the feeling that they're really earning what they make. On the other hand, gamers take money out of their wallets and use it to buy your game. This difference is making gamers and developers drift farther and farther away from each other.

I talked with different people from around the industry about this, and it always seemed like the people who understood what gamers want the most are the guys in sales or the guys working in the stores. But isn't that messed up? It's completely messed up that the people actually making the games are the farthest away from what gamers want. I want to do something about that. I'm not saying I want to change the game industry or anything huge like that, but I just want to do something.

But coincidentally enough-we didn't arrange this or anything-some people in this same industry, people that are fairly well known as developers go, are leaving or moving around in their companies. Other things are going on besides [Yoshiki] Okamoto's new company... It may all be a coincidence, but there are lots of people who think the way things are right now is no good, and I think it's great to see these people going in a new direction and taking the rest of the industry along with them.

I don't think I can take any large-scale work for a while, so I doubt I'll suddenly become director on some grandiose project. There is a chance I'll be involved in several titles at once, but I'll need to think over the balance involved carefully. I may be seriously involved in some, but on others I may let the director and staff at the office take care of it and stick to just giving advice."

Jiggy

I can agree with about a minimum 35 characters. This is my interpretation of how things are going:

Confirmed: Mario, Link, Kirby, Pikachu, Fox, Samus, Zelda, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Peach, Pit, Wario, Zero Suit Samus, Ike, Pokemon Trainer, Meta Knight, Snake, [Captain Falcon*], [Ness or Mother character*]

*Their symbols are confirmed, so as far as I'm concerned, they're confirmed.
Total so far: 20

Near-definite: Luigi, Ganondorf, third-party character, third-party character
Total so far: 24

Probables: Jigglypuff, Falco, Sheik, Mewtwo, Marth, [Animal Crossing character]
Total so far: 30

Possibles: Ice Climbers, Mr. Game & Watch
Total so far: 32

I've just named 32 characters and only 10 of them are new. (11 if Ness is cut and Lucas is in.) Going by the SSBM precedent, where 14 were added, would lead to 36. This is still under the assumption that Pichu, Roy, Young Link, and Dr. Mario (;_;) are gone. 35 is looking like a safe minimum bet to me.

Zeed

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
Probables: Jigglypuff, Falco, Sheik, Mewtwo, Marth, [Animal Crossing character]
Total so far: 30
Oh God not this shit again.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Another new female please
Lyn is in or ban me for a week after Brawl comes out. I would not want to live in a world where Lyn is not in Brawl anyway.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Zeed said:
Lyn is in or ban me for a week after Brawl comes out.

I hope you are right, because I want the roster of females to increase.

Seriously, 3 females is not enough, especially since Nintendo franchises have a lot of memorable ones

<------ like the one right here.

Jiggy

Zeed said:
You really see Jigglypuff, Sheik (post-Aonuma), Mewtwo, and Marth (without Roy) as being improbable? Maybe Mewtwo. I might give you Mewtwo.

Edit: But what really gets me is that you don't highlight Falco, the one clone of the list. >_>
Edit 2: Oh.

Zeed

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
You really see Jigglypuff, Sheik (post-Aonuma), Mewtwo, and Marth (without Roy) as being improbable? Maybe Mewtwo. I might give you Mewtwo.
No, I see them as near-definite.

Zeed said:

Lyn is in or ban me for a week after Brawl comes out. I would not want to live in a world where Lyn is not in Brawl anyway.
I doubt she'll be in it maybe the main girl from the newest Fire Emblem might make it in

Hcoregamer00

Dark Ninja said:
I doubt she'll be in it maybe the main girl from the newest Fire Emblem might make it in

I don't care, more girls = better.

I could see them adding someone like Krystal in because she has a staff, but i would prefer human characters.

Jiggy

Zeed said:
No, I see them as near-definite.
Well, I certainly hope so, and think so to some degree, but it depends on what our definitions of near-definite are. I just don't quite put them on the same level as Ganondorf and Luigi, since none of them except Marth carry the same weight in the context of their own series as those two.

Edit:
Hcoregamer00 said:
I don't care, more girls = better.
Truth. Where are they all? :(

EktorPR

Zeed said:

:lol

Jiggy37 said:

Well, with Sakurai anything can happen, but I highly doubt we'll see any of those come release date. I mean, there are already too many Pokémon, so Jiggly and Mewtwo should be out. Zelda is sporting her "Twilight Princess"-look, so no Sheik. And Marth...well, Ike is better. :D Give us a Fire Emblem gal instead!

Akai

Hcoregamer00 said:
I hope you are right, because I want the roster of females to increase.

Seriously, 3 females is not enough, especially since Nintendo franchises have a lot of memorable ones
Midna (w/ Wolf Link)
Paula
Lip
Krystal
Jill (Drill Dozer)
Lyn (or any other Fire Emblem heroine)
Sami

That's a nice little roster to choose from, and I'll be sad if not even a few of those make it... :(

Hcoregamer00

Jiggy37 said:
Truth. Where are they all? :(

Honestly, I have no idea. Does Nintendo think that adding more females would somehow upset the male gaming population?

If anything they would be happier to have a more balanced cast instead of having like 30 guys and 3 girls.

Akai said:
Midna (w/ Wolf Link)
Paula
Lip
Krystal
Jill (Drill Dozer)
Sami

That's a nice little roster to choose from, and I'll be sad if not even a few of those make it... :(

With advance wars I prefer Sasha, but Sami works incredibly well.

The ouendan girls could be a medal or be added as a secondary character (to heal or increase "BURNING SPIRIT" :lol

Zeed

Banned
Dark Ninja said:
There's several reasons to favor Lyn over Micaiah. First of all, Micaiah is NOT a Lord. Lyndis is. Secondly, Lyndis was the star of the first internationally released Fire Emblem game, and therefore just as much of a symbol of the series worldwide as Marth is in Japan. Third, the Tellius saga is already represented by Ike, Micaiah would be redundant. And fourth, Lyn is a highly popular character, being the first female Lord in the Fire Emblem series.

Jenga

Banned
Akai said:
Midna (w/ Wolf Link)
Paula
Lip
Krystal (Possible
Jill (Drill Dozer)
Sami

Krystal and maybe Midna are the only reasonable choices.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Jenga said:
Fire Emblem is very probably since they want to add more females to the game.

And I hope Krystal is not in the game. If they are going to ignore DKC they might as well ignore post N64 Star Fox too

Hcoregamer00

Jenga said:

Yes because the Fire Emblem girls look so out of place in Smash Bros.

grandjedi6 said:
Fire Emblem is very probably since they want to add more females to the game.

Did they actually state that they want to add more females, Link please. At the very least so I am assured by the fact that there is more than just the usual 3 (Zelda, Peach, Samus).

Akai

grandjedi6 said:
And I hope Krystal is not in the game. If they are going to ignore DKC they might as well ignore post N64 Star Fox too
Except Ninty completely turned the DK series around, yet have kept Krystal in the recent Star Fox games...And I believe she was the most requested (or really high up there) character back when they were "taking requests"...

Zeed said:
There's several reasons to favor Lyn over Micaiah. First of all, Micaiah is NOT a Lord. Lyndis is. Secondly, Lyndis was the star of the first internationally released Fire Emblem game, and therefore just as much of a symbol of the series worldwide as Marth is in Japan. Third, the Tellius saga is already represented by Ike, Micaiah would be redundant. And fourth, Lyn is a highly popular character, being the first female Lord in the Fire Emblem series.
Yeah but if Ike did replace Marth its most likely that they are trying to promote the most recent Fire Emblem game
But you also have to consider how many sword wielders Brawl is gonna have
Its already reaching a point where sword wielders are going to out-number the normal fighters

EktorPR

Dark Ninja said:
Yeah but if Ike did replace Marth its most likely that they are trying to promote the most recent Fire Emblem game
Its already reaching a point where sword wielders are going to out-number the normal fighters

Hmm, interesting point...

Sword Wielders

- Link
- Ike
- Meta Knight
- Pit (well, at least daggers)
- ...and?

Zeed

Banned
Dark Ninja said:
Yeah but if Ike did replace Marth
If he did replace Marth, Sakurai wouldn't have bothered with a new moveset. I don't understand why people keep insisting that Marth has been removed, there's no evidence whatsoever to support it.

its most likely that they are trying to promote the most recent Fire Emblem game
Ike is still the star of FE10.

Okay, assume Lyn and Marth are both in. Let's do a head count.

Sword Weilders
Link
Meta Knight
Marth
Ike
Lyn
Uh...Gannondorf?

Non-Sword Weilders
EVERYONE ELSE.

Akai

Zeed said:
If he did replace Marth, Sakurai wouldn't have bothered with a new moveset.
Not saying that Marth is out, but Sakurai is so much of a perfectionist that I could easily see him making a whole new move-set if he saw it necessary...(Or Lyn could be adapted to Marth's move-set, I guess...There's no way to tell right now...)

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
I'm not fond of Krystal at all... I think her inclusion is likely, but I'd much rather have Lyn, Midna, or Sami.

Akai said:
Midna (w/ Wolf Link)
Paula
Lip
Krystal
Jill (Drill Dozer)
Sami

I keep bringing it up since nobody seems to remember, but Warioware has a selection too, namely Ashley, Kat & Ana, and Mona.

EktorPR

Zeed said:
If he did replace Marth, Sakurai wouldn't have bothered with a new moveset. I don't understand why people keep insisting that Marth has been removed, there's no evidence whatsoever to support it.

Sword Weilders
Link
Meta Knight
Marth
Ike
Lyn
Uh...Gannondorf?

Non-Sword Weilders
EVERYONE ELSE.

I think its ridiculous to assume there's going to be three Fire Emblem characters. I highly, highly doubt it. It's either Lyn or Marth...and at this point, Lyn is my pick.

Hcoregamer00

IAmtheFMan said:
I keep bringing it up since nobody seems to remember, but Warioware has a selection too, namely Ashley, Kat & Ana, and Mona.

Oh shit, I totally forgot about it.

I would love to have Kat and Ana or Mona in the game, although what the hell would Mona do?

Cheerleading attacks???? :lol

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Hcoregamer00 said:

Did they actually state that they want to add more females, Link please. At the very least so I am assured by the fact that there is more than just the usual 3 (Zelda, Peach, Samus).

I put Zero Suit Samus in thinking I wanted to include more characters from the popular Metroid series. Also, since Smash Bros. has few female characters, I was quite happy to include her.
http://wii.ign.com/articles/710/710752p1.html

I remember reading a different translation that worded that a little differently and I think there may have been another interview stating this also

Zeed said:

Ike is still the star of FE10.

Sword Weilders
Link
Meta Knight
Marth
Ike
Lyn
Uh...Gannondorf?

Non-Sword Weilders
EVERYONE ELSE.
well maybe I exagerated
But if they start adding way to many sword wielders it becomes a whole different game
But I guess theres a bunch of guys with guns so..
I just hope it Balances out so that there's a certain number of weapon wielders and normal fighter

mclem

IAmtheFMan said:
Don't forget Penny!

Oh, yes, and non-ware Wario: Captain Syrup.

Zeed

Banned
EktorPR said:
I think its ridiculous to assume there's going to be three Fire Emblem characters.
Yes, because ten games in the series doesn't warrant three characters in representation.

*Takes a look at Zelda's four characters*

Oh wait!

mclem

Hang on, that quote from above:

I put Zero Suit Samus in thinking I wanted to include more characters from the popular Metroid series. Also, since Smash Bros. has few female characters, I was quite happy to include her.

PLURAL?!?

Might be just a translation thing, but that sounds to me like they're looking at Metroid characters beyond Samus, too.

Zeed

Banned
mclem said:
Hang on, that quote from above:

PLURAL?!?

Might be just a translation thing, but that sounds to me like they're looking at Metroid characters beyond Samus, too.
Mother Brain - Subspace Emissary boss confirmed!

Hcoregamer00

Zeed said:
Yes, because ten games in the series doesn't warrant three characters in representation.

Oh wait!

Yeah, and since Fire Emblem was showcased in Super Smash Bros. Brawl it had a meteoric rise of fanbase in the West thanks to Nintendo actually releasing games in the USA.

More Fire Emblem love can only be good for all of us.

Zeed said:

Oh wait!
I hate to say it but this is a popularity contest
you have to consider that
theres a reason why pokemon has the most characters in the game(counting Pokeballs)

Hcoregamer00

Dark Ninja said:
I hate to say it but this is a popularity contest
you have to consider that
theres a reason why pokemon has the most characters in the game(counting Pokeballs)

If you talk about popularity contest, they had two characters from Fire Emblem when the game wasn't even released in the USA. Now that there is a massive market in the USA and Europe, why would they continue giving FE the 2nd tier treatment?

Jenga

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:
:lol Did I say anything about that? Lyn's a long shot. And no, I have nothing against females being in brawl.

Zeed

Banned
Dark Ninja said:
Yeah but look how many characters they got 1 and 2 for Ice Climbers(if you count them seperate)
How many Ice Climber games there have been?

That's right! One.

Guess how many Fire Emblem games there have been. Ten!

If the Ice Climbers can get in with their single, virtually unknown game, then it would make absolutely zero sense to write off any more newcomers from Fire Emblem. There were two in Melee when it was relatively obscure, even in Japan. Since then the series has become a worldwide hit. It deserves three, and it's not rediculous to imagine that it'll get three.

Jenga said:
Lyn's a long shot.
So you think it's reasonable to expect Krystal and Midna but Fire Emblem characters are inconceivable? What?

Zeed

Banned
Jenga said:
There's a reason why Nintendo forced Roy into the game (word is that Sakurai wanted to use Sigurd instead) - they were worried about sales. There hadn't been a Fire Emblem since the SNES, the last one being a Nintendo Power-only downloadable. The last proper release was was six years before Roy's game. SSBM did absolute miracles for the franchise.

ShockingAlberto said:
What

You can't count Pokeballs to make your point.

Even without counting the Pokeballs
Pokemon, Mario, and Zelda (popular) have the most Characters in Mellee
Even in the original who had the most chracters Pokemon and Mario(popular)
Why do you think Sakurai had that voting thing

He obviously wanted to see which characters the public was interested in

Also why are people on GAF complaining that there are too many pokemon characters if only Pikachu and Pokemon trainer have been shown?
Are they counting Pokeballs?

Don't get me Wrong I love the Fire Emblem franchise But weren't both Marth and roy going to get cut from the american version of Mellee because no one would know who they were

But this isn't just American popularity anymore since the franchise
been localized so Fire Emblem could get more characters but don't expect them to put in
4-5 characters

Zeed

Banned
Dark Ninja said:
Don't get me Wrong I love the Fire Emblem franchise But weren't both Marth and roy going to get cut from the american version of Mellee
Yes but you see
They weren't

so Fire Emblem could get more characters but don't expect them to put in 4-5 characters
I am not expecting 4-5
I am expecting 3
Also why do you
Type like this it is
Kind of annoying please try to
Use the Enter button sparingly

Saitou

Banned
Zeed said:
There's a reason why Nintendo forced Roy into the game (word is that Sakurai wanted to use Sigurd instead) - they were worried about sales. There hadn't been a Fire Emblem since the SNES, the last one being a Nintendo Power-only downloadable. The last proper release was was six years before Roy's game. SSBM did absolute miracles for the franchise.
FE5 was released in the year 2000, actually, so not all that much time span between it and Melee.

But you're right, the decision to keep Marth and Roy in Melee singlehandedly brought the franchise out of Japan.

Such is the power of Smash.

Zeed

Banned
Saitou said:
FE5 was released in the year 2000, actually, so not all that much time span between it and Melee.
That was the Nintendo Power downloadable. I should have made my post clearer, what I meant by "proper release" was that the last cartridge-based title was six years old at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom