• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
ratcliffja said:
Here's a supposed leak that has correctly guessed the order two characters would be revealed so far. I really, really hope it's right. I only post it here because it pertains to the potential order for Dojo updates.

That actually sounds as genuine as they come. Of course we've been burned by hundreds of falsified rumours before, but I'm willing to believe this one since it's presented in a more civilised manner, AND it got Olimar and Sheik right.

...which means no Spike McFang for me. :(

EDIT: It's also missing Pichu, Roy and Dr. Mario, which is pretty much what I would expect to have cut from the original roster.

Teasel

ratcliffja said:
Here's a supposed leak that has correctly guessed the order two characters would be revealed so far. I really, really hope it's right. I only post it here because it pertains to the potential order for Dojo updates.
if this list is true (though i don't believe it,there is no point to have golden sun character when more popular fella have become AT) then the next week is gonna get really ugly here on gaf

timbe said:
So Luigi is not in the game? What's up with that?
If you're responding to my link, Luigi is listed. If not, just wait. He's definitely in. He just hasn't been announced yet.

Edit: As for why the list and the Dojo would have the same order, my guess is that this would be the order of the final roster from the player select screen.

Cruceh

Banned
ratcliffja said:
:lol
Geno, Megaman, and Ridley? Sounds like a GAF wet-dream to me + furry.

For the record, I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire for a certain third party character appearing in Brawl. I'm just mentioning it as a potential full roster.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
This is the last discussion I want to get myself into, but from a gameplay perspective, they probably designed Sheik to look like a man so that no one would ever guess that she was Zelda. It's a cheap method, but I don't think they expected gender debates to spawn from that. It's obvious that she was designed with a much more womanly physique this time (probably by the Zelda team too) since everybody kind of already knows the secret by now.

Scribble

ratcliffja said:

Coincedence. It's not really a pattern if it happened twice.

Scribble said:

Still, it is a nice list, and would mean that we get a ton of characters, but I'll stay skeptical. I hope it's a leaked list, but one can't be sure.

Also, Sheik looks damn awesome. Nintendo always knows how to be just tender enough. :D

Chao

This update feels rushed. Are they busy now? I thought the game was complete.
Anyway, Sheik looks hot, and she? was my character on Melee.

farnham

Banned
Chao said:
This update feels rushed. Are they busy now? I thought the game was complete.
Anyway, Sheik looks hot, and she? was my character on Melee.
Still no falcon

sakurai needs to admit it quickly!

I NEED CONFIRMATION!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Scribble said:
A coincidence of being able to list both Shiek and Olimar in their correct order of unveiling? List seems too good to be true; Ness, Marth and Falco would be too much for this thread, let alone Geno, the Big M and Ridley. But we'll see if the list holds if another character gets shown and it's spot on the money.

Would be awesome to see Isaac though - not only in the battle moves and ideas, but some sense of Nintendo wanting to push the Golden Sun brand.

Christopher

ratcliffja said:
For the record, I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire for a certain third party character appearing in Brawl. I'm just mentioning it as a potential full roster.

That link has K. Rool - awesome. I only want him, and Gannondorf and then we're set.

Maybe Eggman can be a clone - but as long as we have the main Nintendo baddies.

No one seems to have noticed the revelation that they created a new Shiek model for Twilight Princess. Was Shiek going to be in the game at one point?

Gekkonidae said:
No one seems to have noticed the revelation that they created a new Shiek model for Twilight Princess. Was Shiek going to be in the game at one point?

Maybe, but it is possible they just drew up concepts for characters that could possibly be in the game early on before they really created the story. Anyway, without Impa I don't see how the TP Zelda would have knowledge of the ancient sheika magic arts

Meloche said:
Just to add to the Sheik gender debate here:

It has been a little while and my French is a little rusty, but I'm pretty sure that there would be need be an e at the end of 'modélisé' (so modélisée) to denote the noun (that being Sheik) as feminine. It has to do with the rule with 'avoir' past-tense, where you have to make the accord with the gender of the noun if the COD comes before the verb, in this case l' comes before avons modélisé. So while it doesn't specifically say 'she' (it would be 'elle' in French), the verb spelling does suggest that the French translator assumed that Sheik was a guy. Perhaps other Canadian/French gaffers can correct me on this one if I'm missing anything here.

For the record I should state that I've always considered Sheik to be a female, and nothing I've seen or read here has altered that perception.

For some reason in France we tend to refer as Sheik and Jigglypuff/Rondoudou as males.

jgwhiteus

Um...I can't believe I'm posting in this thread on this topic, but I thought one of the indicators in OoT that Zelda still had her, uh, "lady parts" as Sheik was that there was a huge cloth wrap/binding around her chest. That's a common device for concealing breasts - see films like the adaptation of "Twelfth Night" or even "Mulan". There'd be no need to include the binding in her design if she had a man's chest.

KevinCow

Banned
Christopher said:
That link has K. Rool - awesome. I only want him, and Gannondorf and then we're set.

Maybe Eggman can be a clone - but as long as we have the main Nintendo baddies.
Ridley wouldn't be considered a main Nintendo baddie?

Cynar

farnham said:
Still no falcon

sakurai needs to admit it quickly!

I NEED CONFIRMATION!

Watch the 5 min video a few pages back. Red Alloy does several of Captain Falcon's moves, including THE KNEE. :D

sp0rsk said:
Sheik is a girl you fucking nimrods.
Sp0rsk, after my ridiculous thread about a delay and your reaction to it, and all your reactions to all the things that go on in this thread, I think I can FINALLY appreciate what you have to go through and what you feel to keep this thread in line. :lol

I will question you no more.

Zoramon089 said:
Could be Ganondorf's who, IIRC, was confirmed along with Shiek way back...

Not officially, but yeah, he'll be back. Most likely Ganondorf will get a new moveset and Captain Falcon will keep the old one rather than the other way around.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Teasel said:
if this list is true (though i don't believe it,there is no point to have golden sun character when more popular fella have become AT)
Yeah, Isaac is a big breaking point for that list's credibility. Nintendo's not going to include a character from a 2nd party dev that recently cut ties with them over, say, an Advance Wars character.
Gekkonidae said:
Not officially, but yeah, he'll be back. Most likely Ganondorf will get a new moveset and Captain Falcon will keep the old one rather than the other way around.
GANON PAUNCH

CassSept

When I saw the update ive kinda expected what the thread will be about:lol
Looked quickly through thread and omg, 40/40? Awesome, and i hope its really deserved. SSBB look like never-ending game though, so that seems plausible:D

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Snake: Mei Ling, Princess Zelda just... transformed!

Mei Ling: Yes, Snake. Zelda knows how to disguise herself with magic to turn into her alter-ego, Sheik. This lets her keep a low profile from anyone attempting to steal the crown of Hyrule.

Snake: But... she looks... different.

Mei Ling: “It is the beautiful bird which gets caged.” It's a Chinese proverb, Snake. It means, that your talents and gifts which come naturally, may earn you unwanted attention. Those expensive dresses and royal jewels won't help the Princess defeat an attacker.

Snake: Actually, I meant that "Sheik" looks more like a man than a woman.

Mei Ling: Well... it is a disguise, Snake.

Snake: No, really. I mean... how?

Mei Ling: How what?

Snake: How does she change her... ?

Mei Ling: Ohhhh. Ew. I. Uh.

...Look, ask Otacon. I'm sure that his anime shows deal with that sorta stuff.

farnham said:
zelda is hiding her identity when she is shiek....

how does that make her male... she is female.. with male ninja clothes..
By posting on the topic of this "debate," I hope I do not give anyone the false impression that I care about it.

What I do care about is the fall of intellectualism and rational discussion in modern society.

The argument is not "Is Shiek male/female?" The issue is "Does Zelda magically transform into another entity or does she just put on a disguise?"

Crushed

Fry Daddy
What if Zelda feels she is a man trapped in a woman's body, and Sheik lets her liberate her true self from its oppressive shell?

Guys! You're discussing Ocarina of Time SPOILERS!!
I wonder how many people on this thread never knew this. Has to be pretty low assuming they played Melee.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Crushed said:
Snake: Mei Ling, Princess Zelda just... transformed!

Mei Ling: Yes, Snake. Zelda knows how to disguise herself with magic to turn into her alter-ego, Sheik. This lets her keep a low profile from anyone attempting to steal the crown of Hyrule.

Snake: But... she looks... different.

Mei Ling: “It is the beautiful bird which gets caged.” It's a Chinese proverb, Snake. It means, that your talents and gifts which come naturally, may earn you unwanted attention. Those expensive dresses and royal jewels won't help the Princess defeat an attacker.

Snake: Actually, I meant that "Sheik" looks more like a man than a woman.

Mei Ling: Well... it is a disguise, Snake.

Snake: No, really. I mean... how?

Mei Ling: How what?

Snake: How does she change her... ?

Mei Ling: Ohhhh. Ew. I. Uh.

...Look, ask Otacon. I'm sure that his anime shows deal with that sorta stuff.
i loled :lol

Nemesis_

Very happy to see Sheik and I like her new design, albeit it isn't EXTREMELY different but it works. A bit disappointed though that they didn't split them into two characters, what with Zelda having a sword in Twilight Princess and having alot of potential.

But yeah, pretty nice to see Sheik finally confirmed (and it's a shame she doesn't have a different Final Smash either, but meh) and I am liking her redesign.

Will Sheik turn back to Zelda whenever Final Smash occurs?

I don't get how people can say it's lazy for Shiek and Zelda to share a final Smash but all three of the pokemon have just one final smash, and as far as we've seen, ZSS's final smash is just her trasnforming back into her Suit.

Favorite update? Stage builder by far, it's going to open up so many new ways to play this game and add endless replay.

Teasel said:
in pikmin when is the "end of the day" the entire field get swarmed by bulblax so i guess we have olimar final smash
and anyway was there any guys that used both zelda & shiek? whenever i played with her i just stickied with one and totaly ignored the fact that i could turn into the other

I did the same thing, mostly because Zelda was one of the worst characters in the game while Sheik was one of the best. I didn't see much reason to use Zelda when playing as Sheik.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom