• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jiggy

-Character updates must have been getting paranoid at the likes of stages and music coming up behind them, as they've been speeding up again lately, and now hit 25 total.

-Wednesday continues to be The Day of Days for characters: no longer content with bringing us 33% of our characters as in the days between now and Olimar, Wednesday tonight has brought us 36%! That's 9 out of 27.
This will in no way stop me from predicting a newcomer tomorrow or on Friday! Hey, Pokemon Trainer had Peach revealed in the same week, after all. :D

-Sheik reaches an enormous total of 4 screenshots. In ever-so-slightly more interesting news, Diddy Kong is now tied with Ike at 56 shots a piece.

-Olimar, Zelda, and Zero Suit Samus are joined by Sheik as characters without dedicated final smash updates. Yes, Zelda is joined by her own alterego. That must be an interesting experience, I should think. :eek:

-And also, although this is kind of boring to repeat by now, Pikachu, Samus, Zelda, Bowser, Donkey Kong, Yoshi, Peach, Ice Climbers, and Sheik are the characters without dedicated special moves updates. With any luck, none of them will get such updates, since these are all veterans and we know their moves anyway from Famitsu. :p

-The Zelda series is now at 8 Dojo updates, passing Metroid and Metal Gear and now being tied with Star Fox and Donkey Kong. This is still only half of Pokemon, incidentally.

-10 days of updates remaining until the Japanese release date. Will we get full spoilers before then? Someone getting an early copy? A strategy guide being released? Or has Sakurai conquered Japan with his awesomeness, preventing all possible leaks? Find out... soon!

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Holy shit, I've seen some idiotic arguments about video game characters, but this Zelda/Shiek Gender bending thing tops them all (for now). What the fuck, people.

jman2050

Oblivion said:
Holy shit, I've seen some idiotic arguments about video game characters, but this Zelda/Shiek Gender bending thing tops them all (for now). What the fuck, people.

You've obviously never seen a Robotnik/Eggman preference argument, have you.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
grandjedi6 said:
No.

And why the hell is there a stupid argument on Sheik's sex anyway. OoT revealed it to be Zelda for crying out loud
We're arguing over whether Zelda uses magical hermaphroditism to change her vagina into a penis, and ovaries into testicles, as well as all appropriate chromosomal changes, etc.

This is serious.

turk128

TSA said:
Uber Zelda theorists would (and I am not joking here) counter your statement, stating that Sakurai has absolutely no authority to speak on Zelda canon whatsoever.

(btw, I'm not disagreeing with you)

That is how devil's-advocate-prone they are.

So just keep rubbing the pic with her dangling chest in their faces and that should do it.
Wait... why should they be rewarded?!

Can't wait for the ass $shot screencap battles when this game finally comes out :)

grandjedi6 said:
No.

And why the hell is there a stupid argument on Sheik's sex anyway. OoT revealed it to be Zelda for crying out loud

Because girls that play videogames fell in love with Sheik while playing Ocarina of Time, but when at the end they found out it was Zelda they tried to justify their lusts and whatever no-nos they did during =X time by saying that Zelda became a guy, thereby justifying their naughty meeeeeow time.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Mockingbird said:
Because girls that play videogames fell in love with Sheik while playing Ocarina of Time, but when at the end they found out it was Zelda they tried to justify their lusts and whatever no-nos they did during =X time by saying that Zelda became a guy, thereby justifying their naughty meeeeeow time.
wat

Jiggy

TreIII said:
...And Birdo/Catherine is STILL a guy, at least, if we go by the Japanese side of the equation.

After all, in Mario Kart: DD, her profile in the JP version basically read as follows:

"Appears to be Yoshi's girlfriend...or should that be boyfriend...!?" :D :D

Nintendo is just FULL of tranny surprises! :lol
D: I did not need to know this.

Jiggy

Man God said:
Yes you did. Knowledge=Power!
I have a decent imagination, but don't think I can stretch definitions enough to make mental images of Yoshi and Birdo in a relationship seem like "power." :(

Athenor

Iam Canadian said:
Playing though Star Tropics, it made me think of how cool it would be to see Zoda as a Subspace boss. However, because Star Tropics has never seen the Land of the Rising Sun, I don't think we'll get anything from the series.

I also was amused by the fact that while Star Tropics was developed for the North American audience, the text reads like a subpar NES translation from Japanese sprinkled with "cola" puns. I mean, the game barely even uses punctuation. Remarkable.

Just as an aside, but if a character must have been in a Japanese game to make it into Brawl, then Zoda is still not out of the running in this regard. Like quite a few other Nintendo second-stringers, Zoda was in F-zero X and GX, as the lackey of the Black Shadow.

The following is explaining some background on the "gender" arguments, since some people here do not know anything about this...this isn't actually me debating/arguing it, just bringing up some info - which is quite amusing to me at least (the last part, anyway).

grandjedi6 said:
No.

As to Sheik's gender, a scene towards the end of Ocarina of Time reveals that Sheik was Zelda in disguise all along. Zelda was a female who passed herself off as a male, which perhaps raises issues of gender identity in the Zelda series, something unusual (though not unheard of) for a Nintendo title. One of the Gossip Stones scattered around Hyrule in Ocarina of Time describes her royal highness as a tomboy. Also, according to the trophies and the instruction booklet for Super Smash Bros. Melee, Sheik is a female (it should be noted the the Super Smash Bros. series is not canon with any of the games that it's characters originate from). It is also interesting to note that Sheik's poses and general body form in Super Smash Bros. Melee are much more feminine than in Ocarina of Time.

Yet, in the Ocarina of Time manga, author Himekawa Akira depicted Zelda requesting her true identity be sealed. Impa transforms her into a male for her protection, then teaches him the way of the Sheikah (although this manga is also non-canon). Thus, Sheik's gender are controversial topics amongst fans of the franchise, and it is a popular device in The Legend of Zelda fan-fiction to use both characters, as separate entities.

Then read this thread.
http://www.zeldauniverse.net/forums/n64-zelda/1030-sheik-male-female.html

Sheik is Zelda, disguised as a man.

Lets look at this logically. ( this is a hypothetical situation)

I am a girl, but i dress up in boys clothes, and start calling myself 'Tommy'. Everybody thinks that I am a boy. Does that make me a boy? (The correct answer is 'Hell No', underneath the clothes, i still have girl parts, i still think like a girl, and consider myself a girl)

Zelda is a girl. Sheik is Zelda. Therefore... Sheik is a girl!

A=B B=C therefore A=C

:lol That was pretty funny to read.

Jiggy

SuperAngelo64 said:
For once I actually wish sp0rsk was here.

Maybe he'd silence all the gender debaters and fangirls and force them to make a new thread.
But why? For the first time in about four months, we're actually on topic and discussing the update. :p

Crushed

Fry Daddy
The_Joint said:
Holy nuts guys! IT'S LIKE SHAKESPEARE! Zelda disguises herself as Sheik. Stop fucking up my fapping!
who are you and why have you allowed my creation to have life

i wanted it to die peacefully and alone

Athenor said:
Just as an aside, but if a character must have been in a Japanese game to make it into Brawl, then Zoda is still not out of the running in this regard. Like quite a few other Nintendo second-stringers, Zoda was in F-zero X and GX, as the lackey of the Black Shadow.
People said Metroid Prime assets wouldn't appear in Brawl because they were from a western developer. They were proven wrong. :D

Jiggy37 said:
But why? For the first time in about four months, we're actually on topic and discussing the update. :p
Very true. :lol

Rotanibor

sheik_080116b-l.jpg

I don't think those are tits. Its either just a weird angle, or the front flap thing of Shiek's outfit is hanging down a bit.

sheik.jpg

While the view is somewhat obstructed, there is clearly no bumps in this shot.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Jiggy37 said:

I wonder what the breakdown between on topic posts and off topic posts would be...

Also, who has the highest percentage of on topic posts versus the lowest percentage (given a minimum of a set number of posts, probably more than the average post per person but less than the amount of posts that the 50th ranked post maker would have)

It could be fun...

SuperAngelo64 said:
For once I actually wish sp0rsk was here.

Maybe he'd silence all the gender debaters and fangirls and force them to make a new thread.

Did you read the posts? No one here actually gives a damn about Sheik's gender (cause we all know it's a she). There are no zelda fangirls here. They're all over there (gamefaqs). It's just a matter of translation that is being pointed out.

jessmo24

Banned
someone is reporting that the famitsu score is 40/40
I cant get the pic to work can someone help me?

h*tp://xs123.xs.to/xs123/08033/ssb129.jpg

Jiggy

Alright, I think I'm out for the night. One last thing, though, and I'm surprised nobody's mentioned it:

http://abysswolf.deviantart.com/art/Get-Ready-to-Update19-57207197

Can't wait for AbyssWolf's art. :D Sheik should go on the right side this time, since left's ahead 13-11--although, granted, the right side has the whole PT trio, so one might argue that they're tied. But Samus and Zamus are on opposing sides, so Zelda and Sheik should be as well, no matter what. >_>

There's still more then 3 veterans coming

Ganondorf
Falco
Game & Watch
Marth
Ness
Captain Falcon
Jigglypuff
Luigi
Mewtwo (maybe)
Pichu (Unlikely)
Young Link (moveset/design change)
Roy (Unlikely)

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Sheik definitely looks awesome, but I'm a little disappointed they stayed so close to the old design... ever since that leaked interview I was expecting a totally redesigned style.

Oh well, still looks awesome! Hilarious that they added boobs :lol

turk128

Rotanibor Eht said:
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/images/sheik/sheik.jpg

While the view is somewhat obstructed, there is clearly no bumps in this shot.
That's a dancer's pose, you stretch your abs and chest when you are in that pose so the breasts would flatten out a bit but are still there. The chest bandages also act like a sports bra, further dampening the curvature. Also, the hips give her away.

Mockingbird said:
Did you read the posts? No one here actually gives a damn about Sheik's gender (cause we all know it's a she). There are no zelda fangirls here. They're all over there (gamefaqs). It's just a matter of translation that is being pointed out.

k

M3wThr33

Banned
Mockingbird said:
Good.
Because gender transformation doesn't exist AT ALL in Japan's culture. And multiple other MAGICAL (Read: NOT just makeup) changes happen to Shiek to pretty much confirm it.

But hey, in Ranma 1/2, he's just stuffing, right?

justchris

Jiggy37 said:
I have a decent imagination, but don't think I can stretch definitions enough to make mental images of Yoshi and Birdo in a relationship seem like "power." :(

There are just so many things right with that sentence. :lol

Good.
Because gender transformation doesn't exist AT ALL in Japan's culture. And multiple other MAGICAL (Read: NOT just makeup) changes happen to Shiek to pretty much confirm it.

But hey, in Ranma 1/2, he's just stuffing, right?

But Zelda isn't Japanese, she's Hylian. Is there any indication in Hylian culture that gender transformation is even worthy of consideration?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom