• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
8bj6yw0.gif

TSA said:
Uber Zelda theorists would (and I am not joking here) counter your statement stating Sakurai has absolutely no authority to speak on Zelda canon whatsoever.

(btw, I'm not disagreeing with you)

That is how devil's-advocate-prone they are.

So just keep rubbing the pic with her dangling chest and that should do it.

Gaahhh! Unless Sakurai translated it into English himself, the Japanese Dojo entry makes no mention of what sex Sheik is. Not that I'm arguing FOR Sheik being a guy.

Dreavus

Holy shit, Sheik redesign is awesome. She's even got a dagger!

As for the gender debate, I always took it as Zelda disguising as a guy... not actually becoming one! Who would think otherwise? It wouldn't really make much sense... :lol

TreIII

Mockingbird said:
Well, the "her" was only added to the English version. The Japanese site makes no mention of sex. Not that I am arguing with you or anything.

This.

To re-iterate, the JP version does NOT, without a shadow of a doubt, explicitly say that Sheik's either guy or girl.

So in short...as far as the JP version is concerned...

Sheik =>

Pat.jpg

:lol

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Jiggy37 said:
Sign me up for the Kirby Super Star Defense Force, if I'm not already on it. Or the "Kirby Super Star As Progenitor of Smash Bros. Defense Force," but that sounds a bit unwieldy somehow.

Of course you're on it, Jiggy. You, TreIII, and I are pratically founding members. :D

Not that I think Kirby Super Star necessarily needs a Defense Force, but any organization that promotes KSS's general awesomeness is fine by me.

TreIII said:
But yeah, Iam Canadian nailed it.

I just love Kirby Super Star. :D

Big Icarus said:
Also noticed that Sheik opens up a new bottom row with room for three new veteran characters. Captain, Game and Watch, and who else?

More like the Captain, Jigglypuff, and Ness.

Meloche

Sheik/Zelda is my least played character according to my Melee game stats, and when I do use her I usually stick to Zelda and just spam her fair. Not that I dislike Sheik, not in the least -- I'm just really bad at using her for some reason. Glad to have her back though, and like others have mentioned that's a really slick character model. Well done, team Smash. The scans in that other thread did not at all do her justice.

Jiggy37 said:
I have nothing to add. This is basically all totally right on and true and is the reason that every single Smash Bros. fan should buy Kirby Ultra Super Deluxe when it's released on DS. :p
And of course when it comes out for the Virtual Console as well. Support Sakurai's genius! :0)

Mockingbird said:
Gaahhh! Unless Sakurai translated it into English himself, the Japanese Dojo entry makes no mention of what sex Sheik is. Not that I'm arguing FOR Sheik being a guy.

Spanish update has no mention of sex either...

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
TSA said:
I couldn't stand anyone who thought Sheik was a guy in OoT or Melee.

While I don't always see eye to eye with you, TSA, I must say that it's good to know you've been on my side during the troubling "ZELDA TRANSFORMS INTO A GUY!!!" years of weirdo fandom.

I had an odd experience at E for All when chatting with a lass clad in Zelda t-shirts, buttons, pins, stickers, a cap, and the like... it all started when she said "So, do you think Sheik is a guy or a girl?"

Mockingbird said:

They use the gender-specific term "her" when referring to Sheik in the English update. I do not know if the Japanese text has any gender connotation or clarification...

Countdown to first Cosplay of her...

jman2050

Mockingbird said:
Well, the "her" was only added to the English version. The Japanese site makes no mention of sex. Not that I am arguing with you or anything.

Japanese doesn't really have gender-specific pronouns like English though IIRC. Yeah, there's some terminology that implies gender, but nothing like the standard 'he/she' we're used to.

Regardless, this should end that debate finally...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Golden Darkness said:
Hmmm.... all the characters have their four moves and final smash as part of their profiles (not as in a seperate update dedicated to itself)
Weird, they've changed it for everyone. Olimar's FS is called End of Day, I wonder what it does.

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
Zero Suit Samus's Special Moves
Standard Special Move Paralyzer
Side Special Move Plasma Whip
Up Special Move Plasma Wire
Down Special Move Flip Jump
Final Smash Power Suit Samus

Maybe it's just me.. but have the characters always had their special moves listed under their profile like that?

I just went and checked the rest of the character profiles, they all do now.

Even characters like Wario who hasn't had a few of his shown on the Dojo.

Zelda's character page is also updated with a listing of her special moves and final smash now too. And I never noticed that Zelda had such broad shoulders for a chick before.

Fenix

SuperAngelo64 said:
Maybe it's just me.. but have the characters always had their special moves listed under their profile like that?

I just went and checked the rest of the character profiles, they all do now.

Even characters like Wario who hasn't had a few of his shown on the Dojo.

I'd assume this is also to coincide with the new Famitsu.

jman2050 said:
Japanese doesn't really have gender-specific pronouns like English though IIRC. Yeah, there's some terminology that implies gender, but nothing like the standard 'he/she' we're used to.

No, because of that you can't use it as material to end the debate. You can use the pictures and point out that the chick has no dick but you can't use the translation of some guy/girl Nintendo paid to translate material for the site. He/she used visual cues (the images on the site) to add the her to the sentence - not any sort of fact from a document or creator.

The way I figure it, official, undebatable canon is that Sheik is a chick, just like Birdo is now officially a girl. It doesn't matter what you thought before-- boobs ahoy!

(Yes of course there's no telling the intent of the original character designer from this, but I'm saying that no longer matters. And if you think it's THAT weird for a Japanese game designer to make a princess who transforms and grows a dick you obviously haven't watched much anime.)

TreIII

jman2050 said:

If they wanted to be more explicit about it, they would have. It ain't that difficult to sneak in a detail like that. They (the Japanese side) really just doesn't care about this argument as much as the West seemingly does.

After all, this is the same country that made it so that a series like Sailor Moon lasted as long as it did, and it was ripe with such things like men transforming into women, among other things. :lol

I'd think not.

If you choose to be in the camp that supports Ness (like I do), you can't use the English translation of the Japanese quote as a bar-none basis for a complete and utter "case closed" on the matter.

WastingPenguins said:
The way I figure it, official, undebatable canon is that Sheik is a chick, just like Birdo is now officially a girl. It doesn't matter what you thought before-- boobs ahoy!

...And Birdo/Catherine is STILL a guy, at least, if we go by the Japanese side of the equation.

After all, in Mario Kart: DD, her profile in the JP version basically read as follows:

"Appears to be Yoshi's girlfriend...or should that be boyfriend...!?" :D :D

Nintendo is just FULL of tranny surprises! :lol

Olimar probably gets in his ship and flies upward in it. Blasting opponents with the exhaust. Just like how he had to fly away from the planets surface at the end of each day in Pikmin.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think the listing of the special moves might mean that they're going to start showing off more characters and aren't going to spread everything about them out over 3 updates. Also, anyone else find it ironic that Sheik has a dagger but can't use it because of Sakurai's ban on realistic weapons?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Big Icarus said:
Olimar probably gets in his ship and flies upward in it. Blasting opponents with the exhaust.

I think he'll call down the ship and call all the Pikmin in.

Like a Lunch Rush from both sides.

and it will be glorious.

Meloche

Just to add to the Sheik gender debate here:

Sheik n'apparaît pas dans The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, mais nous l'avons modélisé à partir d'une esquisse réalisée durant le développement du jeu.
It has been a little while and my French is a little rusty, but I'm pretty sure that there would be need be an e at the end of 'modélisé' (so modélisée) to denote the noun (that being Sheik) as feminine. It has to do with the rule with 'avoir' past-tense, where you have to make the accord with the gender of the noun if the COD comes before the verb, in this case l' comes before avons modélisé. So while it doesn't specifically say 'she' (it would be 'elle' in French), the verb spelling does suggest that the French translator assumed that Sheik was a guy. Perhaps other Canadian/French gaffers can correct me on this one if I'm missing anything here.

For the record I should state that I've always considered Sheik to be a female, and nothing I've seen or read here has altered that perception.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
I hope to God that Snake's Codec conversation about Sheik references all of this gender confusion. It's something that the MGS series has tackled well on multiple occasions.

Crushed said:
I hope to God that Snake's Codec conversation about Sheik references all of this gender confusion. It's something that the MGS series has tackled well on multiple occasions.
LISTEN TO THIS MAN SAKURAI!
it'll be hilarious!

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Nice update, good to see this character in. Didn't play as her much at all in Melee, but I sure got a pretty good challenge from opponents who did use her.

Why is there even a debate about Sheik's sex?

Iam Canadian

TreIII said:
After all, in Mario Kart: DD, her profile in the JP version basically read as follows:

So does this mean that Yoshi is...uh, never mind. I'm not even touching that one.

And the special move lists in the character profiles are interesting, even if they look kind of tacked on. Nothing really surprising, though.

Sonic's neutral B is the Homing Attack. Hopefully it doesn't toss me into bottomless pits as often it does in the actual 3D Sonic games.

I'm also a bit curious as to why most of Lucas' (and Ness', for that matter) use "PK" as the prefix to most of their special attacks, yet use the American prefix "PSI" for their Magnet attack. Just arbitrary?

Fenix

Meloche said:
Just to add to the Sheik gender debate here:

It has been a little while and my French is a little rusty, but I'm pretty sure that there would be need be an e at the end of 'modélisé' (so modélisée) to denote the noun (that being Sheik) as feminine. It has to do with the rule with 'avoir' past-tense, where you have to make the accord with the gender of the noun if the COD comes before the verb, in this case l' comes before avons modélisé. So while it doesn't specifically say 'she' (it would be 'elle' in French), the verb spelling does suggest that the French translator assumed that Sheik was a guy. Perhaps other Canadian/French gaffers can correct me on this one if I'm missing anything here.

For the record I should state that I've always considered Sheik to be a female, and nothing I've seen or read here has altered that perception.

Could also be genderless :p.

In any case the one pic with Sheik looking right at the camera screams "Tits!" to me, so the debate (which never should have existed in the first place) should be over and done with.

jman2050

TreIII said:
If they wanted to be more explicit about it, they would have. It ain't that difficult to sneak in a detail like that. They (the Japanese side) really just doesn't care about this argument as much as the West seemingly does.

After all, this is the same country that made it so that a series like Sailor Moon lasted as long as it did, and it was ripe with such things like men transforming into women, among other things. :lol

I'd think not.

If you choose to be in the camp that supports Ness (like I do), you can't use the English translation of the Japanese quote as a bar-none basis for a complete and utter "case closed" on the matter.

...And Birdo/Catherine is STILL a guy, at least, if we go by the Japanese side of the equation.

I'm no expert in Japanese of course, so correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think a Japanese speaker would go out of their way to confirm gender if it's strongly implied, as it is in Sheik's case. That seems to indicate that Nintendo always intended her to be female from the start.

And of course, people will believe what they want to believe, so my latter statement is meant to exclude those people.

Well unless Shiggy comes out and and specify which gender Shiek is, we can only assume. I mean its not like Smash is acutal canon to the character prespective game.

Iam Canadian

Wait a minute...Fox and Donkey Kong have no special moves or Final Smashes in their profiles...

Okay, granted, we know it all already, but it's still odd.

Crushed

Fry Daddy
Iam Canadian said:
Wait a minute...Fox and Donkey Kong have no special moves or Final Smashes in their profiles...

Okay, granted, we know it all already, but it's still odd.
They appear to be randomly glitching for people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom