• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
JasoNsider said:
Spoiler, dude. I wouldn't post such things in the Dojo thread.

See above.

Jiggy37 said:
But the whole problem is that Zero Mission Samus is trying too hard to stay looking good. She shouldn't be bothering with uber heavy lipstick and it doesn't make sense in the context of her character.

Yeah, Samus is probably the last character I would expect to see wearing lipstick. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if she never appeared outside of her Power Suit in public, except perhaps during her interactions with the Galactic Federation.

I have no problem with Samus being an attractive female. But that doesn't mean she needs to be wearing lipstick. Besides, I think her face in Zero Mission is kind of unappealing anyway.

jwj442

Zero Suit Samus looks like a bimbo. The older versions of Samus before Zero Mission are both more attractive and look more intelligent.

Here's my complaint about ZSS...

Why did they outline EVERY, SINGLE, CURVE in her body!? Seriously! She's a naked woman that was painted over! What the heck, Nintendo!? Couldn't they just have given the Zero-suit a sports bra effect?

Seriously... This is just an attempt by Nintendo to try and thwart their kiddy image.

Iam Canadian

KittenMaster said:
Here's my complaint about ZSS...

Why did they outline EVERY, SINGLE, CURVE in her body!? Seriously! She's a naked woman that was painted over! What the heck, Nintendo!? Couldn't they just have given the Zero-suit a sports bra effect?

Seriously... This is just an attempt by Nintendo to try and thwart their kiddy image.

To be fair, the Zero Suit looks more like something that someone would wear under a heavy suit of armour like that. Plus, the glowy thing on her back makes me think that the Zero Suit actually interfaces with her Power Suit or something.

Besides, skin-tight body suits are a science fiction cliche.

Edit: Predicting a "Pokemon" update that outlines some of the new Pokemon, like the Assist Trophy update.

zoukka

Iam Canadian said:
To be fair, the Zero Suit looks more like something that someone would wear under a heavy suit of armour like that. Plus, the glowy thing on her back makes me think that the Zero Suit actually interfaces with her Power Suit or something.

Besides, skin-tight body suits are a science fiction cliche.

Edit: Predicting a "Pokemon" update that outlines some of the new Pokemon, like the Assist Trophy update.

So are DD-cup boobs, but why did Samus have to reprecent these both? Is Metroid a cliched space odyssee?

Jiggy

ZSS would look slightly better if she was an ironing board. There's no saving that face, though. :(

Feel free to interpret this as a joke post, or don't.

Iam Canadian

zoukka said:
So are DD-cup boobs, but why did Samus have to reprecent these both? Is Metroid a cliched space odyssee?

Well, it does borrow rather heavily from the Alien movies...

Seriously, though, I can't exactly think of much else they could have worn under the Power Suit. The Zero Suit shows less skin than most of her fanservice endgame outfits and it's not like she can be expected to wear loose-fitting clothing under the Power Suit.

Crushed said:
Talk about where Mewtwo and Lucario hide their genitalia.

Let's not.

Jiggy

Mewtwo doesn't have a gender. And was the failed result of genetic splicing experiments, for that matter.

zaccheus said:
zss was skanky in metroid zero mission right?

its not like she was designed to be a bimbo for brawl
Yes, unfortunately. :( She also retained that look for Metroid Prime 3. And maybe 2, but I don't remember--I've tried my best to forget Prime 2.

pulga

Banned
Jiggy37 said:
Mewtwo doesn't have a gender. And was the failed result of genetic splicing experiments, for that matter.

Jiggy, you're too much of a nerd for your own good. Let Crushed have his fun. :lol

Jiggy

pulga said:
Jiggy, you're too much of a nerd for your own good. Let Crushed have his fun. :lol
But having fun isn't allowed on NeoGAF. Wait, are you trying to say you want Crushed to get banned? :(

pulga

Banned
Portal_Turret_by_mahalis.png

there you are

Jiggy

Spear Pillar. From what I hear in the spoiler threads, this could be among the fastest stages to be banned, even among fully casual players. >_>

pulga

Banned
Iam Canadian said:
Mewtwo seems to have a male persona, so to speak, but in a physical sense, he's genderless.

Oh, and the Spear Pillar.

i bet furries would counter that point without breaking a sweat

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Cresselia is a little bitch. There, I said it!
She shoots out these giant wind-blade things that can be hard to anticipate and WTFPWN you :(

Delio

Meh screw banning it i love this stage! But then i'm a Pokemon nut so i guess it doesnt bother me with all the little hazards.

MrCheez

Iam Canadian said:
This stage looks a bit too chaotic and deadly for me.

And I'm a Big Blue fan.

Well it's kind of a different kind of chaos than Big Blue, or say... any scrolling stage. Those stages there is a constant chaotic nature to the level the entire time you play... this stage operates more like a normal stage that has ten-second long segments of chaos every forty seconds or so :)

I do like this stage, actually. There are matches where the hazards really interfere (Cresselia / screen being flipped) and there are matches when they don't really matter (giant light beams which are slow / parts of the top of the stage falling in). But even on the matches where the hazards interfere, they only happen a few times and you do get used to them.

All in all it's worth playing. (I mainly just love the layout... I like stages where there is more than one spot for action to take place, so I appreciate the 'tunnel' in this one!)

Iam Canadian

It's definitely a different kind of challenge than Big Blue, that's for sure.

But while Big Blue is chaotic, at least the entire stage isn't out to get you like in Spear Pillar. I'll definitely try the stage and I may even like it, but I'm just not too fond of the concept.

MrCheez

Yeah, definitely give it a chance. This stage probably deserves to be banned in a tournament setting, but when playing just for fun it isn't as bad as it might seem from this update.

You'll never get hit by those giant light beams unless you are retarded or just really super slow, so count that as one less hazard to be concerned about at least :)

Jiggy

-The type of day that only comes once every four years brings us our 29th stage update. Stages surpass final smashes, which had hit 28 yesterday, though Girl Mode forgot to mention that because she was having a meltdown over the stealth updates. (And special moves had also hit 27 yesterday.)

-Our five least recent update types are now item, Poke Ball, music, assist, and how to play. It could be that we never get another music update again, incidentally. (It might even end up being that we never get another how to play, since Smash 101 is already out, but I'm still expecting entries for wall jumping, swimming, and a certain other technique I can't mention yet.)

-Pokemon reaches 22 updates and holds on to its position as the true most-updated series.

-Fri-chan becomes the princess of all stage updates once again: eight of them, beating Tuesday's seven.

-Link reclaims his spot from Pit, moving up to 99 screenshots versus Pit's (and Link's old) 96.

-That lout Pikachu advances from 70 screenshots to 74, surpassing Meta Knight (71), Diddy Kong (71), and old rival Donkey Kong (73). DK still has an ace up his sleeve, though, in the form of that upcoming special moves update... don't count him out yet! Pikachu would also have tied with King Dedede's 74, but the penguin king moved to 76.

-Newcomer Lucario reaches 21 screenshots and passes Luigi and Marth. Meanwhile, Charizard moves from 19 to 22, breaking its tie with Marth and staying ahead of its fellow Pokemon.

-Pokemon Trainer gets four screenshots, Squirtle gets one, and I already said Charizard had three. The full PT combo shifts up eight screenshots, from 61 to 69, passing Ike's 64.

~and also today zero suit samus got two screenshots--two more than she deserves!--but that didn't help her move past anyone because she sucks and has a super ugly face so there~

Jiggy

MrCheez said:
Well it's kind of a different kind of chaos than Big Blue, or say... any scrolling stage. Those stages there is a constant chaotic nature to the level the entire time you play... this stage operates more like a normal stage that has ten-second long segments of chaos every forty seconds or so :)

I do like this stage, actually. There are matches where the hazards really interfere (Cresselia / screen being flipped) and there are matches when they don't really matter (giant light beams which are slow / parts of the top of the stage falling in). But even on the matches where the hazards interfere, they only happen a few times and you do get used to them.
I thought one of the hazards was inverting the controls? (I guess that's why they would be saying it's just an illusion...) If so, couldn't that mess up recovery since up B could become down B right when a person used the move?

Iam Canadian

I find it interesting how prominently King Dedede has been featured in screenshots since his introduction. I like how a character revealed in late October has more appearances in screenshots than a character that's been there since near the beginning.

Of course, I'm very fond of Dedede and not so fond of Pikachu, so it's not like I'm complaining or anything. :D

MrCheez

Jiggy37 said:
I thought one of the hazards was inverting the controls? (I guess that's why they would be saying it's just an illusion...) If so, couldn't that mess up recovery since up B could become down B right when a person used the move?

The only inverting that happens is the screen actually 'flips'. So if I push my control stick to the right, my guy will actually move left. Nothing else happens to your controls

You will probably die from this the first few times it happens :lol But this hazard in particular seems to happen maybe once every four or five matches on the stage.

Again, there IS stuff on the stage that will eff you up... but it is usually infrequent and you do get used to it.

kamikaze

Smash Bros. DOJO said:
Everything’s been flipped upside down!! But it’s all an illusion! An illusion, I tell you!!

qft! when i fought lucario the first time to try to unlock him, i had him in the middle of the stage at about 100% while i was standing near the right edge of the screen when then this happened...

stage29_080229h.jpg

...next thing i know i've fallen "up" to my death because i'm pushing right on the stick expecting to go towards the center.

TJ Spyke

grandjedi6 said:
Banning is stupid

Agreed, I think people who want to ban certain stages/characters/items just make themselves look ridiculous. Even worse are the people who only want to play on Final Destination with no items. You might as well just go play another generic fighting game,

I love this new stage, and if it is fun to play I know I will be selecting it during each GAF tournament (although I know the game randomly selects from the stages picked by players).

MrCheez

It's pretty funny, usually in matches consisting of all players everyone will just stop in their tracks when they realized whats happened. (Most of the time someone will have already died from trying to recover from the edge right when it occurs... then motioning themselves AWAY from the stage and towards it)

So yeah... among my friends we'll be having an intense battle... then this happens and everyone just stands still in fear for like ten seconds :)

Jiggy

Iam Canadian said:
Of course, I'm very fond of Dedede and not so fond of Pikachu, so it's not like I'm complaining or anything. :D
King Dedede is greatness, everyone knows it. Here's a repost from Smashboards that you non-spoiler types have been missing out on! (Can't link to the whole thing since it's not in the non-spoiler section of that forum.) I've edited only slightly.

Tank McCannon over at Smashboards said:
Hello everyone.

I'm here to tell you that everyone's favorite newcomer, King Dedede, is pretty much already the best character in the game. If he's not your favorite character, that's okay, it just means that you're wrong.

First, we'll start with the obvious.

kingdedede.jpg

Look at him. Just look at him. King Dedede is a giant penguin that wears a king's robe, wields a massive hammer, and as far as I can tell, wears yellow boxing gloves. If you can't tell how awesome this is, there is something wrong with you.

So, now we know what King Dedede is, but who is King Dedede? Let's find out!

Taken from from the Dojo...

"The self-proclaimed king of Dream Land formally joins the brawl! Mechanizing his wooden mallet, he delivers a mighty, earth-shaking blow!"

Everything about this is beautiful. Let's break it down.

He's a self-proclaimed king. How freaking cool is that? Sure, there have been many kings, but they're usually only kings through family. Some other kings fought great wars to earn their title. But no, not King Dedede. He basically said "Screw it, I don't have to do any of that. If I want to be King, I'll be King." This kind of attitude is just cool beyond comprehension.

He formally joins the brawl. You see that? He formally joins the brawl. Even during something as chaotic as a brawl, he still remains a gentleman. What a guy.

Mechanizing his wooden mallet, he delivers a mighty, earth-shaking blow. Okay, what's not to like? First off, how many other penguins do you know that have mechanized their wooden mallets? None, I'm sure. Plus, with this mallet, he can deliver an earth-shaking blow. Earth-shaking? EARTH-SHAKING? I've seen some characters shake the ground, and I've seen the screen shake a few times, but now all of us will know when someone is playing as King Dedede because the entire ****ing planet will shake beneath us. God help us all.

Now, I know if you hadn't before, you now recognize King Dedede as the best character in the game. But just to drive the point home even further, let's just look at his majesty in action.

kingdedede_071025b-l.jpg

Check this out. Not only does he look as cool as always, but now there's a giant freaking cannon pointed right at him. But does he care? No. Of course not. He's King Dedede. While someone is helplessly planning a way to take down this mighty beast, he's simply thinking of what he wants to have for brunch. Cool. Calm. Collected.

kingdedede_071025c-l.jpg

Let me ask you something. Do you consider yourself to be cool? Well, there's a simple test to find out if you're cool or not. Ask yourself, "Do I wield a mallet that's almost as big as I am?" If you answered no to this question, sorry, but you have some work to do. King Dedede, on the other hand, is the real goods.

kingdedede_071025d-l.jpg

When King Dedede isn't shaking the entire planet, he likes to be a trend setter! Kirby certainly knows what's up in the world of fashion. Just look how jealous Meta-Knight is! Don't worry Meta-Knight, your mask is kind of alright, I guess.

kingdedede_071026g-l.jpg

I'm not even going to go any further with this. This is the best picture ever. Period.

kingdedede_071206a-l.jpg

I'm sorry but this is just the coolest pose in the world. Seriously, just look at that! Go find a mirror and try doing it yourself just to see how cool it is. If you're not glowing when you do it, you're not doing it right.

stage22_080115d-l.jpg

Look at that monster. It's huge! Mario and Samus keep their distance. Captain Olimar tries to make an escape. And King Dedede? He's just chillin'. Monster? Pfft. Big deal. King Dedede just smiles for the camera.

stage22_080115e-l.jpg

I almost cry every time I see this. Not only is King Dedede a complete pimp, he's also a good person deep down. Watch as he jumps, possibly sacrificing himself, to save the Pikmin from certain doom. Normally, in this game, you want your opponent to lose. But no. Not King Dedede. He's always thinking of the little guys. So inspiring.

kingdedede_071025a-l.jpg

King Dedede truly is on top of the world. Not only does he have his own personally-sized boxing ring, it's being carried by his loyal servants! How come we never see Bowser or Ganondorf carried by their servants? Hmmm? That's because their servants aren't truly loyal to them the way King Dedede's are to him. That's dedication.

So as you can see, King Dedede truly is the greatest character in this game, possibly of all time. The roster was complete when he was put in. Other characters, such as Mario and Link, are simply bonus.

scottnak

MrCheez said:
The only inverting that happens is the screen actually 'flips'. So if I push my control stick to the right, my guy will actually move left. Nothing else happens to your controls

You will probably die from this the first few times it happens :lol But this hazard in particular seems to happen maybe once every four or five matches on the stage.

Again, there IS stuff on the stage that will eff you up... but it is usually infrequent and you do get used to it.
Whoa... so say... inverting the controller itself as the stage inverts is the way how it gets mapped? Right = Left. Up = Down. B = A?? (Ok, Not the last one...)

Awesome.

MrCheez

scottnak said:
Whoa... so say... inverting the controller itself as the stage inverts is the way how it gets mapped? Right = Left. Up = Down. B = A?? (Ok, Not the last one...)

Awesome.

From what I've seen 'up' and 'down' never get switched. Neither does 'b' and 'a'. Only your horizontal movement is inverted.

TJ Spyke said:
Agreed, I think people who want to ban certain stages/characters/items just make themselves look ridiculous. Even worse are the people who only want to play on Final Destination with no items. You might as well just go play another generic fighting game,

I guarentee that there are going to be times when you're feeling competitive and you will prefer not to play on some stages and will want some items to be turned off.

There are times when you just want to have fun and all that chaos is great, and dying to random stupid crap should just give you a good laugh. But there are also times when you want to have an intense battle of skill... during that time your 'fun' comes from the challenge of winning a direct evenly matched battle :)

I switch from playing with everything on and everything off depending on my mood, who I'm playing against, their mood ,etc. I think most people will do the same. (Especially with Final Smashes... please report back to me after playing for over two weeks and try to convince me that you never have the desire to play a match without turning them off)

scottnak said:

Awesome.

Left/Right are the only changes. But believe me, it's still hugely disorienting the first few times you experience it.

Firestorm

TJ Spyke said:

I love this new stage, and if it is fun to play I know I will be selecting it during each GAF tournament (although I know the game randomly selects from the stages picked by players).

Competitive players play more than just Final Destination. That said, this stage will be banned I guarantee it. And no, it's not very fun at all. The inverted controls thing in particular is beyond annoying. Ugh. Just not fun.

For WiFi, person who's hosting the room chooses stage I think. For tournament you'll be required to be on AIM or something during the battles (best of 3).

First Stage: Choosen by random or by me from the stages I'd deem "neutral" (FD, Battlefield, Smashville, Castle Siege, etc)
Second Stage: Chosen by loser of match 1 (any stage)
Third Stage if required: Chosen by loser of match 2 (any stage)

MrCheez

Jiggy37 said:
King Dedede is greatness, everyone knows it.

That post is awesome :)

I've actually been playing Dedede a LOT lately! And... I love him! :) He takes quite awhile to get used to (at least he did for me) and you have to really give it your all to be effective with him .... but damn he is so much fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom