• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The big question is whether or not those are the company credits for the GAME or the GUIDE.

For example, they apparently mention that Link's Final Smash is based on his Soul Calibur 2 appearance. Maybe there is a screencap in the guide of him fighting Necrid in Soul Calibur 2?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The only thing I'm worried about now is if co-op adventure mode is 60 fps or not. Cause it was 30 at Eforall. :(

Greatness Gone said:
Square Enix...Hrrrrrm........

Probably some shitty FF III and IV trophies or something.
Or GENO!!! He was voted high I believe.

Oblivion said:
The only thing I'm worried about now is if co-op adventure mode is 60 fps or not. Cause it was 30 at Eforall. :(

I don't recall it being playable at E for All...

I would be extremely disappointed if this game didn't have at least 40 characters and I would prefer 50. Especially since they've been working on this game forever and it has been delayed multiple times. I hope I'm surprised, but I wouldn't doubt if the game only had 30 characters or a little more.

Oblivion

Mockingbird said:
I don't recall it being playable at E for All...

You missed all those videos on IGN and every other major website?

edit: Hell, even I played it..

SantaC

Absinthe said:
I would be extremely disappointed if this game didn't have at least 40 characters and I would prefer 50. Especially since they've been working on this game forever and it has been delayed multiple times. I hope I'm surprised, but I wouldn't doubt if the game only had 30 characters or a little more.

prepare to get disappointed I guess...

They have crammed so much stuff into this game that maybe they had to cut down on the characters.

SantaC

Absinthe said:
The Final Fantasy involvement is likely going to be limited to assist trophies. I really couldn't see a Final Fantasy playable character, but that would be cool.

it's Squuenix, they always disappoint nintendo fans, so It's probably just a shitty trophy as someone said.

TheChaos

The booklet said that Mario's FS was based on his Ultra Fireball move in Super Mario RPG. It's just probably referencing that, guys. I doubt we'd actually see a playable Square character in Smash.

pulga

Banned
SantaC said:
it's Squuenix, they always disappoint nintendo fans, so It's probably just a shitty trophy as someone said.

Watch it be motherfucking Crono
playable
*shakes fist*

Oblivion said:
You missed all those videos on IGN and every other major website?

edit: Hell, even I played it..

You've played the SSE co-op mode? I don't recall that being playable at E for All. There was a vid showing, yes, but that was all I saw.

also, S-E mention is probably for Mario Hoops and Chunsoft for Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

Oblivion

Mockingbird said:
You've played the SSE co-op mode? I don't recall that being playable at E for All. There was a vid showing, yes, but that was all I saw.

Oh, you meant SSE playable? My bad.

In any case, the video they had there was 30fps. Whereas the other footage was 60.

Meloche

Firestorm said:
I don't see how people think it's logical to assume it'll keep doubling. next game we'll have 80?
Two games a trend does not make.

I think 35 characters is a very reasonable expectation, with 40 being about as high as I think they'd go. There's no use sacrificing balance just to chuck a few more lesser known characters in there -- plus, think of trying to beat Classic, Target Test, All-Star, and whatever other modes they can throw at us with 50+ characters!

Absinthe said:
You realize two years isn't all that long as far as game development goes, right

traveler

Not Wario
Holy crap at some the expectations here. 50 characters? Really? Man, and here I was thinking we've probably already seen ALL the characters.

traveler said:
Holy crap at some the expectations here. 50 characters? Really? Man, and here I was thinking we've probably already seen ALL the characters.

I don't think my expectations are all that high. There's really no excuse for Luigi, Captain Falcon, Ganandorf, Marth/Roy, Game and Watch, Jigglypuff, and Mewtwo not to be in this game. That's seven characters right there.

I would rather see more characters than gimmicky smash attacks that people will likely turn off anyway.

traveler said:

Somebody never played Marvel Vs. Capcom 2. In that game I think everyone was surprised at the final character count. Hell, a lot of people would've been satisfied if just the ? boxes were filled up. . .

Absinthe said:
I don't think my expectations are all that high. There's really no excuse for Luigi, Captain Falcon, Ganandorf, Marth/Roy, Game and Watch, Jigglypuff, and Mewtwo not to be in this game. That's seven characters right there.

I would rather see more characters than gimmicky smash attacks that people will likely turn off anyway.
This quote is an awesome example of someone not knowing what they're talking about. Now that the joke part is over, give us the well-reasoned and factually correct post you meant to write before you hit submit.

ShockingAlberto said:
This quote is an awesome example of someone not knowing what they're talking about. Now that the joke part is over, give us the well-reasoned and factually correct post you meant to write before you hit submit.

That's just my opinion. I can tell you that I'm going to turn the final smash attacks off. The series is becoming increasingly more clustered after each release and I fear that there's simply going to be too much shit going on onscreen.

All of this superfluous shit like the adventure mode and target breaking can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. I would much rather have a fleshed out fighting game with a ton of characters and levels to choose from. That's what Super Smash Brothers is, first and foremost, a fighting game. Someone mentioned Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and I think that's a good example.

kamikaze

Absinthe said:
All of this superfluous shit like the adventure mode and target breaking can go to hell as far as I'm concerned. I would much rather have a fleshed out fighting game with a ton of characters and levels to choose from. That's what Super Smash Brothers is, first and foremost, a fighting game. Someone mentioned Marvel vs. Capcom 2 and I think that's a good example.

i guess even sakurai can't please everyone. just curious, did you prefer the original smash brothers to melee?

kamikaze said:
i guess even sakurai can't please everyone. just curious, did you prefer the original smash brothers to melee?

I admire what he is doing, but I don't agree with it. The trophies and stickers are fine. The challenges are fine. But when he starts adding final smashes, assist trophies, many new items, etc. I think it makes the game way too hectic. I might be wrong, but I can easily imagine a lot of people turning those kind of things off. I would rather see a very deep fighting game with tons of characters and tons of levels. I would definitely, definitely give up the Subspace adventure mode if I could get 60 characters. That's just my opinion though.

That's what's nice about Smash.

Too many items? Restrict which appear, and how much. Don't like ATs? Take 'em off.

Don't like Subspace?

Just play the game until you unlock the characters normally.

Honestly, though, I'm baffled you don't like the SSE mode. It's its own game in itself.

FlightOfHeaven said:

Too many items? Restrict which appear, and how much. Don't like ATs? Take 'em off.

Don't like Subspace?

Honestly, though, I'm baffled you don't like the SSE mode. It's its own game in itself.
On top of sounding like it kicks a whole heaping helping of ass.

A freaking 2.5D action side-scroller on top of the expansive multiplayer component...

*twitches*

I believe I've gone and made a mess of my knickers.

fresquito

FlightOfHeaven said:

Don't like Subspace?

As I see things, people will complain about anything. They just like complaining. Brawl will end up with a number of characters that only a handfull of fighting games can claim, and the same about stages. Besides you've got a damn stage generator.

There's nothing about Brawl that one can complain if you've liked previous entries, as you can edit almost every aspect of the fighting. But well, people will complain anyway, because they just like to complain.

Absinthe said:
I would definitely, definitely give up the Subspace adventure mode if I could get 60 characters. That's just my opinion though.

And I would ditch multiplayer for a better singleplayer mode, so I cancel you out!

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
SuperAngelo64 said:
Banjo and Necrid?

Please.

If you read the topic, it seems to suggest those are only copyrights for the booklet itself and not the game as a whole. It goes to detail about the origins of everyone's Final Smashes - Link's supposedly derives from Soul Calibur 2, which is probably accompanied by a screenshot of it in action (hence the Necrid copyright - he's probably in one of the screens). Same thing with Mario's Final Smash, which is said to be from Mario RPG, hence the Square-Enix copyrights.

Banjo, eh, I dunno. Maybe there's a Diddy Kong Racing screen/reference, since it also has copyright details for Krunch.

Either way, I really doubt this is indication of playable characters...

I played Soul Calibur II religiously and I never saw him doing anything like that...

But the whole character history thing seems kinda neat.

Are they any scans up of that yet?

Teasel

Firestorm said:
I don't see how people think it's logical to assume it'll keep doubling. next game we'll have 80?
because the starting roster (almost) doubled from 64 to melee (from 8 to 14 although if you don't count ness and c.falcon it would be 12 which means a 50% increase) it work with secret character too but only if you count clones... if you don't count them it's still 20 character against 12 which is (almost) double,and it seems to be the same for brawl assuming every character revealed on the dojo is a starter (from 14 to 25) so i think it's a safe bet to assume there are at least 15 secret characters

also for people having trouble with the no damage clear bonus,pick donkey kong,pick all-star mode,put game on very easy and spam B+Down like there is no tomorrow,that's how i did it

someone mentioned that in that famitsu guide there were screenshot of soul calibur when talking about link final smash so i don't think (ok... i hope) there will be anything necrid related in the game

If we don't have atleast 40 characters I will be a bit bummed.

I always think of it this way; Sakurai pulled together Melee in less than a year, with a smaller team, and smaller budget.

That game came out spectacular.

Now they've had over two years, much bigger team, a 'mystery' development team, a bigger budget, more hype, better hardware, etc.

If we don't have atleast 36 or 40 characters... then they've been dicking around an awful lot in that Sora building.

SovanJedi said:
If you read the topic, it seems to suggest those are only copyrights for the booklet itself and not the game as a whole. It goes to detail about the origins of everyone's Final Smashes - Link's supposedly derives from Soul Calibur 2, which is probably accompanied by a screenshot of it in action (hence the Necrid copyright - he's probably in one of the screens). Same thing with Mario's Final Smash, which is said to be from Mario RPG, hence the Square-Enix copyrights.

Banjo, eh, I dunno. Maybe there's a Diddy Kong Racing screen/reference, since it also has copyright details for Krunch.

Either way, I really doubt this is indication of playable characters...
Actually, no.

This mentions "Necrid".....

but I didn't find any pictures of Banjo or Necrid in the booklet. Like I said before, this may mean nothing, so you may as well take this with a grain of salt. I just thought it was interesting information to share.

I doubt Necrid or Banjo would be in the game though.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
SuperAngelo64 said:
If we don't have atleast 40 characters I will be a bit bummed.

I always think of it this way; Sakurai pulled together Melee in less than a year, with a smaller team, and smaller budget.

That game came out spectacular.

Now they've had over two years, much bigger team, a 'mystery' development team, a bigger budget, more hype, better hardware, etc.

If we don't have atleast 36 or 40 characters... then they've been dicking around an awful lot in that Sora building.

Ah. More people totally ignorant about the game development process.

I'd like to remind people that you just don't add a model and some animations and call it a day. Games like this have to be tested rigorously for balance, lest you end up with a terribly overpowered character or a completely useless one.

And that's just *one* factor that comes into play.

Cowie

Its important to note that as an example of a game with a lot of characters, Marvel vs Capcom 2 falls down in the 'Has any sort of character balance' category. There are probably much better fighters with absurd numbers of characters that actually maintain some semblance of leveled play, and have fewer infinites.
and if Necrid is in, I'll make a preorder just to cancel it.

Tempy said:
Ah. More people totally ignorant about the game development process.

Ah, more haughty kids who like to think they know how developing a game works.

Tell me, which development branch you work at over at Nintendo.

EADSDG1? EADSDG3?

Oh, you're full of shit? Thought so.

Banjo is absolutely not going to be in Brawl. Why do you think he and Conker were removed from Diddy Kong Racing DS? Because they're owned by Microsoft. We're just as likely to see Master Chief in the game. Can we please stop with the silly speculations that have no chance of being true? If you're joking, that's cool, but if you seriously expect Banjo to be playable... I'm at a loss for words.

Fireblend

Banned
Necrid? WTF, seriously. At least you can't get a more unexpected character as that one :lol And about square-enix.... maybe Geno's in as a sticker or something? SMRPG has plenty of unique characters to the Super Mario franchise, maybe they decided to add something from that game and, as Mario & Luigi:Superstar Saga, had to give credit to S-E.

Anyway, I don't understand all the people asking for a 40-characters roster; sure it would be great, but why exactly is people expecting that? Not a lot of fighting games have had rosters that big, and multiplayer fans have to accept, development leaned a lot towards first-player mode this time. I'm sure Sakurai would rather have ~30 quality characters opposed to 40 from which 10 would be completely useless. It really bothers me to see people saying they'll hate the game if it doesn't have a huge roster but really, I couldn't care less; the amount of content in this game is astonishing already.

Having said that, I do expect the current character count to increase, and if Sakurai managed to cram that many characters in the game it'd be great, but for now I'm definitely satisfied, and I don't see why people thought that fighting games doubled their rosters in every iteration...

EricDiesel said:
Banjo is absolutely not going to be in Brawl. Why do you think he and Conker were removed from Diddy Kong Racing DS? Because they're owned by Microsoft. We're just as likely to see Master Chief in the game. Can we please stop with the silly speculations that have no chance of being true? If you're joking, that's cool, but if you seriously expect Banjo to be playable... I'm at a loss for words.

OMG! Master Chief's going to be in the game?!?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom