• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smash Bros Brawl Dojo Official Update Thread: Goodbye, Cherry-don

Status
Not open for further replies.

ant1532

Banned
BrandNew said:
Coure I'd still buy it, but I'd still be disappointed that Nintendo's promises weren't kept. Especially from someone as trustworthy as Sakurai.
The thing is people need to understand, Iwata made the promise of it being online in 04'. Sakurai didn't even know about it then. He was asked to make it directly after the announcement at that E3 04' conference.

He is just trying to follow through with his promise even though last we heard he was having a hard time doing it just because of difficulty and lag issues, ect.

Hunahan

Banned
ant1532 said:
The thing is people need to understand, Iwata made the promise of it being online in 04'. Sakurai didn't even know about it then. He was asked to make it directly after the announcement at that E3 04' conference.

He is just trying to follow through with his promise even though last we heard he was having a hard time doing it just because of difficulty and lag issues, ect.

Virtua Fighter is online. Virtua Fighter.

If that's possible, anything is possible.

They simply need to be motivated enough to try - and all of the responses in this thread that say they'd be disappointed yet still make the purchase? That's motivation not to.

Until the fans absolutely demand it, nothing will change.

Jiggy37 said:
If K.K. Slider isn't playable and Tom Nook isn't playable, yet there's an Animal Crossing logo, does... does that mean... create-a-character?!

No, no, I have to stop dreaming. No. That would be too good to be possible. No, even if it was just limited strictly to the Animal Crossing shape/size and you could only change clothing and name while the moveset stayed the same, I'd enjoy it too much. It can't happen. No.
Your dream is probably being able to upload you own Animal Crossing Wii character into Smash Bros. Brawl with some kind of retro-compatibility save transfer.

Kind of like the Pokémon GBA -> Pokémon DS deal.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Baryn said:
If the SP isn't really robust, no online means no buy for me.

While its not a deal breaker for me, Im getting the game no matter, SP is really important. Even if there is online I will be really disappointed if the SP is not leaps and bounds over Melee's. Its just a really important aspect of the game and is also Trojan horse for every game featured to reach new people.

Just look at Fire Emblem, never really heard about them state side and then Marth and Roy came in Melee and were so great my friends and I couldn't wait for an FE game to come over and I bought all three released here and cant wait for GoD.

i have 6 friends who love playing smash we still play it for hours every weekend but online would have been such a kick ass option. Its pathetic if brawl does not have it.

Firestorm

BrandNew said:
Coure I'd still buy it, but I'd still be disappointed that Nintendo's promises weren't kept. Especially from someone as trustworthy as Sakurai.

Sakurai has never promised online.

And this stage looks so damn pretty. Wow.
Tom Nook playable with axe and shovel confirmed

I might have to play this every Saturday at 8PM

rhino4evr

I could less about playing strangers online, but I do have a lot of friends with Wiis far away that Im anxious to battle. I will end up buying regardless, but if single player is gimped, as well as online. I'll be very disappointed.

ant1532

Banned
Hunahan said:
Virtua Fighter is online. Virtua Fighter.

If that's possible, anything is possible.

They simply need to be motivated enough to try - and all of the responses in this thread that say they'd be disappointed yet still make the purchase? That's motivation not to.

Until the fans absolutely demand it, nothing will change.
I don't think it has to do with motivation. Sakurai loves his fans and tries to please them as much as he can.

I really think it's just online experience. There team has never made an online game before(off the top of my head) and this shit is new to them. Hopefully that secret studio is mainly for getting online right and that's why he can't talk about it. That's what I'm thinking.

ant1532

Banned
Firestorm said:
Sakurai has never promised online.

And this stage looks so damn pretty. Wow.
Tom Nook playable with axe and shovel confirmed

I might have to play this every Saturday at 8PM
I always disliked how it was on SATURDAY at 8PM.

If there is a time I would most likely not be playing a video game it would be then. And that's when they add the cool feature. I always missed KK Slider, only seen him play bout 2 times and I loved AC.

SSB wont have online, im sure about that. Reggie would have mentioned it there, because he mentioned it for Mario Kart Wii, and that one is being released AFTER SSBB.

But i can live with that.
Even alone, SSBB should grant 30 hours until everything is unlocked and then hundreds of additional hours trying for records in target mode and offline-multiplayer.

Look, if god damn Mario Kart DS Wii Double Dash is online, there's no reason this shouldn't be. I'm sure they haven't finalized the online aspects of it yet, reasoning the lack of any online mention, but they also didn't deny it.

If Nintendo can't get this to play online, they're only going to alienate the actual gaming fanbase even more. Everyone knows it's expected, and by now online is demanded. The way I personally see it is that if we've got games like Crysis that will be online, there's no reason Brawl can't support it --unless they half-assed the Wii's internal WiFi connection or something.

ant1532

Banned
MasterMFauli said:
SSB wont have online, im sure about that. Reggie would have mentioned it there, because he mentioned it for Mario Kart Wii, and that one is being released AFTER SSBB.
I just really think Sakurai told them to not say anything just in case something happens and it doesn't make it. I think he is being very careful with online and if it isn't executed right it won't make it, so he is just making sure it works hella good before he says anything to get everyone excited. If it was sure to not have online Sakurai would have said something.

ant1532 said:
I just really think Sakurai told them to not say anything just in case something happens and it doesn't make it. I think he is being very careful with online and if it isn't executed right it won't make it, so he is just making sure it works hella good before he says anything to get everyone excited. If it was sure to not have online Sakurai would have said something.
What I said but shorter.

Besides, SSBB announced online at E3 would have done nothing short of overshadowing anything else.

Like it was said, Sakurai never promised it would be online, he just implied they'd do their darndest to make it happen.

If it turns out not to be online, it is not because he failed to care about what many fans want but rather that it was too difficult to implement and do the game the great justice it deserves.

However, December 3 is a fairly long time from now so if it isn't put online, it is basically guaranteed to be so polished and a complete achievement in every facet.

Some time back, Kojima played the game and commented that it was really solid and "finished" and could be released that day. This tells us that either they are going to try to get this shit online or they are going to tweak it and add to it to make it one of the best games of all time.

ant1532

Banned
infiniteloop said:
Does anybody really expect online at this stage? Wouldn't Nintendo have said something by now?
Read above.

It's funny how if you follow a developer like Sakurai you learn his ways, and I really believe what I wrote above.

infiniteloop said:
Does anybody really expect online at this stage? Wouldn't Nintendo have said something by now?

That makes sense but what if one of these days, he smacks us in the face with a two word no-picture update------Online?? Yes.

rhino4evr

infiniteloop said:

this is Nintendo, Prime comes out in a month and we know very little about it. Except that online is not included. Nintendo like to wait till the last minute to reveal, maybe because it takes them a long time to come to a decision. If Smash online is laggy as hell, I doubt they will include it. Nintendo very rarely releases incomplete or flawed experiences. (Please no WiiFit jokes)

infiniteloop said:
At this stage I expected this game to be playable at E3! :lol

But it seems like Nintendo wants to showcase Brawl by itself sometime in the near future.

Haunted

ant1532 said:
Quick poll time.

Will NO online stop you from getting Smash Brawl this year?
of course not, silly.

And I'm not worried at all that they revealed mainly flat stages so far. There's still a ton more to come.

Firestorm

In regards to no online, I'd obviously still get it. I have enough friends who love the game that I can probably play together every week for the next couple of years =)

Anyway, someone at NSider just had an awesome idea =O What if the AC stage has different stuff going on special holidays just like in AC? So like on New Years Eve there's fireworks and stuff! It's not too unlikely really >.>;

Also, are we sure this is Tom Nook or could it be one of his kids/nephews/whatever they were?

stage06_070713a-l.jpg

If it's him, maybe that won't be the background when you play as Tom Nook? =O
He's in guys, don't deny ^_^

yeah i dont care too much about online either i have a friend who comes over twice a week to play smash and hes done that for 2 years now

i mean it would be nice but for me personally i dont need it

i wish they would show capn falcon or ice climbers tho

(im kidding about the latter of course)

Firestorm said:
Anyway, someone at NSider just had an awesome idea =O What if the AC stage has different stuff going on special holidays just like in AC? So like on New Years Eve there's fireworks and stuff! It's not too unlikely really >.>;

That won't happen.

No one will have any desire to play the other stages.

Brawl came out of Iwata's decision to make an online Melee. If there's no online, it's not because they just couldn't be arsed to do it, Sakurai especially. It's more likely because he didn't want to release it gimped.

I'd be disappointed, but not crushed.

JCX

If brawl isn't online, I think they should do something like DOAU with SSB and SSBM on one disc with ssbm online.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
PkunkFury said:
Updated series icon list:

1.Smash Brothers
2. Donkey Kong
3. StarFox
4. Kirby
5. F-Zero
6. Metroid
8.Pokemon
9.Zelda
10. Mario
11.Yoshi
15. Animal Crossing
16. Wario
18. Kid Icarus

Did I miss one?

Melee series still missing:

Fire Emblem (basically confirmed)
Earthbound (ought to be confirmed, but NOA may try to stop this one)
Ice Climbers (might go?)
Game and Watch (might go?)

My guesses?

(these two could be switched)
Earthbound = 7
Fire Emblem = 12

(these two could be switched)
Ice Climbers = 13
Game and Watch = 14

and finally, this one is pretty much a shoe in
Pikmin = 17

The above guesses would place:

all original 64 series in 1-11
all introduced in Melee series in 12-14
and all introduced in brawl 1st party series in 15-18
Brawl numbers will go past 18, could include another Nintendo franchise or two
and all 3rd party franchise will be after these numbers (so for now, Metal Gear would be 19)

Lets talk about this more!

So if icons 12-14 are Melee-introduced franchises... and this list is missing the Fire Emblem, Ice Climbers, Game and Watch franchises... does this mean all of these franchises will return?

I would have thought G&W would be removed at least.

Of course the webmaster might break the trend at any time, and simply label a franchise out of order, since something like a file-labelling method isn't really set in stone. But still, this is really interesting stuff to speculate about to me!

Edit: I forgot that Earthbound was introduced in melee... changed my speculation a little bit.

NeonZ

So if icons 12-14 are Melee-introduced franchises... and this list is missing the Fire Emblem, Ice Climbers, Game and Watch and Earthbound franchises... this seems like a clue that one of these franchises is kaput.

Ness from Earthbound was in the original SSB... It's not a franchise introduced in Melee. If it really follows that numeration, I'd say that the return of every franchise is definitely assured, and while some characters might get cut, no franchise will be eliminated.

MrCheez

NeonZ said:
Ness from Earthbound was in the original SSB...

Yeah I just realized that and changed my post :p

So yeah, if this means all franchises are back, it looks like only the clones are in danger of being cut.

I hope it's true, as I don't want to see the Ice Climbers removed. o_O

fusoya59

Well hopefully they'll confirm online play soon. It'd be a damned shame if this game doesn't go online. I truly believe that this is the only way the Smash Bros. can truly "level up."

I mean how is this game any different from Melee? Graphics? Super Powers? Trophies? New characters? Those are really gimmicks to make you think this'll be a new game. Online'll take this game to new heights.

Regardless, I'll buy this game cuz I'm a Smash nut. Sakurai don't fail me now!

Whilst i agree that online Smash would be good for when you don't have friends around (or if you don't have friends full stop) - the fun in 64 and Melee is like 95% because of the human interaction.

This fascination with online play bugs me cause almost every game these days is blasted if it doesn't have online. "Everyone" wants Wii Sports 2 with ONLINE! Talk about pointless - you could achieve the same affect by going bowling for real but competing against the person 5 lanes across from you without talking to them.

Online SSB would make the game better at least marginally, yes, but i wish people could stop thinking that online play automatically makes the core game exponentially better.

MrCheez

the androgyne said:
Online SSB would make the game better at least marginally, yes, but i wish people could stop thinking that online play automatically makes the core game exponentially better.

When people make a big deal about online play, its because they are lobbying for a feature that they know they would spend hours upon hours enjoying. For some people, that very well could make the game exponentially better. (Some players, not all.)

Will Brawl still be an awesome game without it? Yes. Will it be much more appreciated by some players because of it? Yup.

Nintaiyo

I don't really like how many of the themed stages are simply one or two seemingly simple platforms. Kinda seems like a lazy job especially when they stick a themed background in there with a floating platform over it. I would have liked to actually battle in the village with all of the different animals and buildings. It would have added more personality IMO.

Firestorm

So am I the only one here who likes the stages being semi-plain? I mean, I realize for a lot of people that Battlefield, Dreamland 64, Yoshi's Story, and Fountain of Dreams felt the same. But for me, all of them were really different...

Stupid FoD >_<; Supposedly my character's best stage but I swear that moving platform always screwed me over. It'd be at like the EXACT right spot for Fox to be able to sweetspot me with his up smash.

usea

Firestorm said:
So am I the only one here who likes the stages being semi-plain?
Absolutely not. I'm thrilled with the current revealed stages, and I'm glad it appears like they're doing less gimmick stages.

the androgyne said:
Whilst i agree that online Smash would be good for when you don't have friends around (or if you don't have friends full stop) - the fun in 64 and Melee is like 95% because of the human interaction.

This fascination with online play bugs me cause almost every game these days is blasted if it doesn't have online. "Everyone" wants Wii Sports 2 with ONLINE! Talk about pointless - you could achieve the same affect by going bowling for real but competing against the person 5 lanes across from you without talking to them.

I know what you're saying, and I agree with it to an extent. But you are totally forgetting about the fact that, for many people, online play is the only way to game with family and friends. My friends/family are spread all over the country, and it would be really awesome to play Smash with them online. While it would be even better if we could do it in person, that is simply not a possibility, and online play is the next best option.

Since the real draw of Smash is multiplayer, and since my friends/family are all over the country, an offline only Smash has very little value to me, no matter how awesome it may be. I think a lot of other people are in the same boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom