• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE offered Shawn Michaels a Wrestlemaia 33 match against AJ Styles, he declined

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why they didn't just call up Nak and let the two of them show their stuff on the biggest stage. Is there any evidence at all that Shane's a draw? What audience does he appeal to that the other 20 part timers on the card don't?

AJ vs Shane is stupid and out of left field. Why must he insert himself into these matches?

No way Triple H's best bud is going to job to a tna guy at wrestlemania.

Shane was the buzz for last years event and he has my attention this time

not his fault he has more charisma and connects with the fans better than 99% of the active roster

Mahonay

Banned
not some Japanese guy they've never heard of.
sf4Tika.gif

norm9

It could be worse.
It could be AJ vs Big Show

I actually wouldn't mind this over Shane. People just waiting for Shane to hurt himself. That's boring. And it's hard to wrap my head around the ten minutes or so where Shane will have the upper hand and AJ has to let him do whatever nonsense he's going to do.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I don't see why they didn't just call up Nak and let the two of them show their stuff on the biggest stage. Is there any evidence at all that Shane's a draw? What audience does he appeal to that the other 20 part timers on the card don't?
LMAO at the idea that Shane isn't a draw. Shane vs Taker was just about the only match that had any hype going in to it last year. And yeah, the casual veiwer will totally be interested in another Shane match, if only to see what his big spot will be. Shane is a draw. And honestly, I think him and AJ will put on a pretty entertaining match. AJ can carry him unlike Taker last year.

Mahonay

Banned
I actually wouldn't mind this over Shane. People just waiting for Shane to hurt himself. That's boring. And it's hard to wrap my head around the ten minutes or so where Shane will have the upper hand and AJ has to let him do whatever nonsense he's going to do.
I mean, last year they had Undertaker selling Shane's hilariously shitty punches.

Shane will get the upper hand at some point even if it makes no sense.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think he could still go, he's kept himself in great shape. I think the big thing with him is if he's going to come back, he's going to be at least as good as he was when he left. For that to happen he'd have to prepare and work off ring rust at the gym and I don't think he is interested in doing that

He kept himself in great shape because Vince tricked him into it. He told Michaels that at WM32, Stone Cold and Foley were going to appear in their gear and he was required to do so also. So Michaels worked out hard for like 6 weeks and got there and Stone Cold was in his street clothes and had a beer gut and Foley looked like Foley and he was like "aw shit."

FyreWulff

Wrestlemania isn't about skill, more mass public entertainment. It's practically run as a promotion unto itself.

Nobody is really an individual draw anymore in WWE, Mania itself is the draw.

dakun

the constant need to sign people 10-15 years past their prime by the WWE is exactly what's wrong with it and its fans that keep wanting it while complaining that WWE buries new talent.

Glad HBK declined.

Wrestlemania isn't about skill, more mass public entertainment. It's practically run as a promotion unto itself.

Nobody is really an individual draw anymore in WWE, Mania itself is the draw.

Weren't there reports/rumblings that after Okada/Omega that the WWE wanted a match of that caliber at WrestleMania? They literally have nothing that could come close to that

JayDub

Also you have to remember this is the company that pulled a prank on Michaels where they told him they wanted to do a bit of action so he got in shape for his last Mania appearance. That's why he showed up in his gear and super fit while Austin was wearing a t-shirt that barely covered up his beer belly. Foley at least bothered to show up "in character".

maxresdefault.jpg

You have to deal with Vince like you're working with a six year old in a suit.

Dont watch wrestling anymore but what happened here? Whats the prank?

Mahonay

Banned
Weren't there reports/rumblings that after Okada/Omega that the WWE wanted a match of that caliber at WrestleMania? They literally have nothing that could come close to that
Well it seems that rumor was totally false. Or Vince changed his mind, like he does all the time.

Mahonay

Banned
Dont watch wrestling anymore but what happened here? Whats the prank?
Vince told HBK that everyone was going to be coming out in their wrestling gear, including Austin. So HBK got himself into insanely good shape so he could look good when he went out there at WrestleMania.

Vince failed to tell him that Austin said no to that, and the fact it doesn't even matter for Mick Foley because he just wears sweatpants and a shirt.

the constant need to sign people 10-15 years past their prime by the WWE is exactly what's wrong with it and its fans that keep wanting it while complaining that WWE buries new talent.

Glad HBK declined.

Can you really make that complaint about WWE anymore? I mean, at one time it was true but they've pretty much handed the keys to the young talent the past few years.

I feel like I've heard this rumor many times over the last few years. This year it was after Wrestle Kingdom, last year it was after NXT Takeover. It's always the same "they're inspired to blow fans away after [show]" and the PPVs after are always just the same thing

dakun

Can you really make that complaint about WWE anymore? I mean, at one time it was true but they've pretty much handed the keys to the young talent the past few years.

to be fair you're right. But we still have Goldberg, Brock,Undertaker, Shane etc. being put out there as the main draw while not being able to do the same for the young guys. CM Punk and Daniel Bryan were the last ones that achieved that imo. And it was inspite of the WWE trying to bury them.

JayDub

Angry Grimace's post explains it. Vince tricked Shawn into getting it shape by telling him the other guys would be in their gear.

It's actually a pretty funny harmless prank considering Vince's sense of humor.

That doesnt sound like a prank though. A prank would be Vince getting Michaels to get in shape while telling everyone else not to. Looks like Vince asked Austin, Austin declined.

And what did they show up for? A musical?

Yeah, if Shawn wouldn't return for Daniel Bryan who was trained at his wrestling school and had a built in "teacher vs student" angle to work with, he isn't going to do it for AJ. Not sure why this needed a topic though.

We should've gotten a Angle vs Styles.
Angle is too much of a potential liability but they had Samoa Joe (who has absolutely nothing to do at Mania) or Shinsuke Nakamura available, at least until the rematch with Bobby Roode was made, which personally I don't care about.

Then it is stupidity on the WWE booking team for banking on a Shawn Michaels return

I also think Shane/AJ will steal the show
Shane will throw his shitty punches, AJ will sell them like death before beating Shane up before and eventually Shane will do some stupid stunt because that's what people expect now and either miss again and eventually lose while looking like the toughest guy in WWE or land and beat AJ because a non-wrestler going over the guy who carried Smackdown since the brand split isn't important enough to beat a McMahon.
AJ vs Shane is stupid and out of left field. Why must he insert himself into these matches?

No way Triple H's best bud is going to job to a tna guy at wrestlemania.

Shane got a huge pop for his return last year and gave Raw a ratings bump therefore he's now viewed as a draw. Triple H and Stephanie are pretty much the opposition to Shane taking over (though apparently Shane somehow has little stock in the company and no controlling interest) so IDK if I'd call them best buds. I think Shane might start losing goodwill with the internet marks with this AJ match and more with the more hardcore due to his apparent favoring of Vince's number two Kevin Dunn who badly needs to be forced into retirement which is seemingly only going to happen if Stephanie and Triple H take over due to their dislike of him.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Any other wrestler would have been better than Shane O' Mac. Honestly, putting him in a match against Shane is a huge waste of AJ's talent.

Shane will throw his shitty punches, AJ will sell them like death before beating Shane up before and eventually Shane will do some stupid stunt because that's what people expect now and either miss again and eventually lose while looking like the toughest guy in WWE or land and beat AJ because a non-wrestler going over the guy who carried Smackdown since the brand split isn't important enough to beat a McMahon.

When you simplistically breakdown a Shane match like that, I can make ANY wrestling match seem like shit. Reality though? He has exciting memorable matches that fans still talk about

AJ should be lucky he got paired with Shane

commedieu

Banned
Shawn is amazingly Christian. And his life really seemed horrible when he was with the wwf. He wrecked his body.

I love the guy, one of my faves. But he likely doesn't need the money. And it's really not worth it? He did his thing. He is one of the greats.

Who wouldn't want to hear some sweet chin music? But.. eh.. I can have my memories.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
You get it.

For the majority of their marketing and promoting, it's "The Ultimate Thrill Ride," not "Goldberg vs Lesnar III."

They don't consider that a bug, but a feature. Any given boxing/UFC event lives and dies based on who is actually appearing, whereas WWE events are sold as "Event X."

Shawn is amazingly Christian. And his life really seemed horrible when he was with the wwf. He wrecked his body.

I love the guy, one of my faves. But he likely doesn't need the money. And it's really not worth it? He did his thing. He is one of the greats.

Who wouldn't want to hear some sweet chin music? But.. eh.. I can have my memories.

I mean, he's showed up to kick someone a few times a year anyways.

Mahonay

Banned

A Christian who always just glosses over his past and refuses to take any blame for the shit he did back then.

Mahonay

Banned
All he does is apologize for behavior during that time, do you want to him cry on video apologizing also?
That's a recent development and I can't think of many times he's actually went back and talked in any detail about his past. It always seems like he wants that part of his life to just not exist. That's not how it works.

Mahonay

Banned
My hate for Shawn Michaels is showing.

Amazing/all-time great worker. But fake person.

There's part of my subconscious that probably still hates him for superkicking Daniel Bryan. #WORKED

Angry Grimace

They don't like debuting someone to fight at WrestleMania without a lot of hype because they're concerned casuals will be confused. It's the same reason Finn Balor is already cleared and back on the house show circuit, but isn't going to be at WrestleMania unless he does a surprise entrance.

The WWE really needs to let go of the last generation and really start promoting their next generation.

They went from half-decent weekly storylines to "Who can we bribe to wrestle at the next PPV?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom