• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE offered Shawn Michaels a Wrestlemaia 33 match against AJ Styles, he declined

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mentioned during an interview on the Sam Roberts Wrestling Podcast (h/t Dan Gartland of SI.com):

Bleacher Report said:
WWE Hall of Famer Shawn Michaels revealed Thursday that WWE offered him the opportunity to face AJ Styles at WrestleMania 33.

During an interview on the Sam Roberts Wrestling Podcast (h/t Dan Gartland of SI.com), the Heartbreak Kid mentioned that WWE had put the dream match on the table:

"I guess I'm breaking something with you and I don't even know if I should, but I could have had that match. They didn't have an opponent for AJ at WrestleMania. I said that I hadn't been asked because I hadn't—but then I was. ... I said, 'I wish that young man was here 10 years ago, man. I honestly do. I think he's very talented.'"

HBK retired following his WrestleMania 26 match against The Undertaker and hasn't competed since.

On one hand, I'd have loved to see this. On the other, I like how Michaels is pretty much the only wrestler ever to hold up his end of the bargain in a retirement match.

Really wish AJ wasn't fighting Shane though. :/

tenor.gif

iMax

Shawn Michaels is like Half-Life 3. He'll never come back because he wouldn't be very good if he did.

Ric Flair

Banned
Shawn Michaels is like Half-Life 3. He'll never come back because he wouldn't be very good if he did.

I think he could still go, he's kept himself in great shape. I think the big thing with him is if he's going to come back, he's going to be at least as good as he was when he left. For that to happen he'd have to prepare and work off ring rust at the gym and I don't think he is interested in doing that

Never been a die-hard wrestling fan but fuck, I got emotional in his final match at Wrestlemania 26.

It felt like the perfect send-off and doing more matches would just cheapen that imo.

Love you HBK!

Paracelsus

He refused the WWE championship in 2007 when he was only 42, I don't think he could give any less of a shit about this match if he tried.

There's always gotta be some jabronie mark trying to get over on OT. Hope he gets shot on when he thinks it's a work cause he don't know how to work a work. URAH URAH URAH

Couleurs

Damn, that would have been an awesome as hell match. Good for HBK though; from what it sounded like when he was on Austin and Jericho's podcasts, he has a good life and doesn't need to keep wrestling until he's 70 like Hogan or Flair.

venomenon

Holy shit would I love to see HBK vs AJ.
Shawn has been retired long enough so that a one-off return wouldn't really taint his career or his integrity or whatever. Wouldn't be comparable to Flair at all.

Has anyone returned after losing a retirement match stipulation?
Sure.
Flair is a recent infamous example. Technically, Savage did it in the early 90s. There are probably many more.

BajiBoxer

Banned
He's old. I wish they'd stop dragging the Undertaker out there too. I know he's "The Deadman", but I'm afraid that'll end up as more than a nickname if they keep this up. WWE has a problem of bringing back geezers waaaay past their prime to headline big shows.

OldMan

Banned
Goldberg came back and with months of buildup actually produced a solid story line so who's to say AJ vs Shawn can't go through!

Mahonay

Banned
Of course he turned them down. Dude is happily retired and has never voiced interest in having another match.

WWE get desperate around Mania season every year. This shit is nothing new.

Probably for the best. Would have loved to see Shawn vs. AJ, because their styles are so similar adjusted for the age they wrestled in. But, gotta respect a guy who puts his body/health instead of taking one more WM paycheck (which I'm sure he'll still appear in some way)

Has anyone returned after losing a retirement match stipulation?

Virtually every wrestler whose ever been in a retirement match. The most infamous, of course, is Terry Funk who lost something like 20+ retirement matches in his career. He lost multiple retirement matches to the same wrestler, haha (Bret Hart). Most famous mainstream is probably Flair, who has lost at least two retirement matches in WWF/E, first to Mr. Perfect in 93, and then again to Shawn Michaels 15 years later or Savage, who lost to Warrior at WM7 only to start wrestling again in less than a year, having a great match with Flair at WM8. Piper also had multiple retirement matches.

Flair's "retirements" were usually business related... switching companies and putting over his opponent (Curt Hennig notably). In Savage's case, he and Liz wanted to try to have kids after his WM7 retirement and he had to get off the juice. Later on, Vince didn't want him to wrestle when Savage wanted to come back, which is one of his reasons for leaving for WCW (The Savage/Stephanie rumors not withstanding, but who knows about the truth of that).

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
That match would be lit and probably would steal the show, HBK is also still in great shape. Fuck it all this wrestlemania is going to be worst than the last one.

FyreWulff

He explained this when he was on (i think) Austin's podcast, he turns stuff down like this because once you agree to do a favor for WWE they keep calling asking for other favors. He isn't explicitly against wrestling again.

I realize that our jobs are mostly not like Shawn Michaels' job was, but if your old employer called and asked you to come back to work for a day 7 years after you've been happily retired, would you?

FyreWulff

Also you have to remember this is the company that pulled a prank on Michaels where they told him they wanted to do a bit of action so he got in shape for his last Mania appearance. That's why he showed up in his gear and super fit while Austin was wearing a t-shirt that barely covered up his beer belly. Foley at least bothered to show up "in character".

maxresdefault.jpg

You have to deal with Vince like you're working with a six year old in a suit.

Indelible

As much as I would like to see the match, I'am glad HBK is sticking to his retirement. I want to remember him at his best, it is pretty sad to see how broken down the Undertaker has become.

Fury451

Banned
I always enjoyed watching him back when I was into wrestling. Honestly, he made the best call, both for his health and for the fact that you have to know when to fold 'em in life.

Too many wrestlers continued far past not even their prime, but their golden years, to the point of becoming kind of sad to watch. Like Taker and Sting for example...

Mahonay

Banned
Also you have to remember this is the company that pulled a prank on Michaels where they told him they wanted to do a bit of action so he got in shape for his last Mania appearance. That's why he showed up in his gear and super fit while Austin was wearing a t-shirt that barely covered up his beer belly.

Vince just wanted to see his boy toy one last time.

Match would have been fucking great in 2007 but I don't want to see it now.

I realize that our jobs are mostly not like Shawn Michaels' job was, but if your old employer called and asked you to come back to work for a day 7 years after you've been happily retired, would you?

Shawn Michaels runs the performance center (WWE's place where they train new wrestlers) so technically they are still his current employer.

Sephzilla

Also you have to remember this is the company that pulled a prank on Michaels where they told him they wanted to do a bit of action so he got in shape for his last Mania appearance. That's why he showed up in his gear and super fit while Austin was wearing a t-shirt that barely covered up his beer belly. Foley at least bothered to show up "in character".

maxresdefault.jpg

Well, technically you could say Foley was in wrestling shape I guess?

Mahonay

Banned
For a million dollars? Hell yeah
Shawn definitely doesn't need the money. I'm going to guess not damaging his body any further is worth more.

Also his wife probably is insanely against the idea, since she hates the idea of him even bumping when training wrestlings students.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom