• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed - Ep. 55 - April 08, 2011 (Andrea Rene guests)

StuBurns

Banned
krae_man said:
British voice on podcast > all other voices. It doesn't matter who it is, it just works.

Oh and Nathan Drake is absolutely a mass murderer. The Gearsification of Uncharted has made it so 90% of the game is shooting pirates in the head. Unlike say Tomb Raider which is only partly shooting mercenaries and endangered species, with most of the game being puzzle solving and platforming. Hell, Nathan kills a security guard for the sake of a throw away joke in the first level of Uncharted 2 right after saying he didn't want to hurt them. "There's a guy above you!".
That guy doesn't die actually. Not that it changes Nathan being a serial killer. It's one thing I thought was awesome in MGS "you love all the killing", things like that, throwing up in MGS4 if you go on a killing spree. Very cool.

DaBuddaDa

Curufinwe said:
You're not a serial killer if you kill in self-defense.
I never understood specifically the criticism of Uncharted and Nathan being a serial killer. There are hundreds of grunts trying to shoot him dead and are standing in his way. What the hell is Nate supposed to do? Climb up a tree and throw his feces at them until they go away? No, he shoots back. He's not "murdering them in cold blood," he's escaping certain death. If you were in his situations would you not pick up a gun off the ground and fight back??

StuBurns

Banned
Curufinwe said:
You're not a serial killer if you kill in self-defense.
And you don't kill in self-defense if you consistently place yourself in situations that require you to kill.

He could get a job tending bar, he'd rather globetrot leaving hundreds dead in his thieving wake.

LiK

DaBuddaDa said:
I never understood specifically the criticism of Uncharted and Nathan being a serial killer. There are hundreds of grunts trying to shoot him dead and are standing in his way. What the hell is Nate supposed to do? Climb up a tree and throw his feces at them until they go away? No, he shoots back. He's not "murdering them in cold blood," he's escaping certain death. If you were in his situations would you not pick up a gun off the ground and fight back??
Hahaha.

Indeed, if Nathan is a serial killer than Mario is even worse. He stomps on poor defenseless Goombas and Turtles and all sorts of creatures. People overanalyze this shit too much.

Kusagari

It's also the fact that Drake is making wisecracks the entire time and joking around as he kills other people. It makes him look deranged.

LiK

Kusagari said:
It's also the fact that Drake is making wisecracks the entire time and joking around as he kills other people. It makes him look deranged.
And Spider-Man gets a pass?

krae_man

StuBurns said:
That guy doesn't die actually. Not that it changes Nathan being a serial killer. It's one thing I thought was awesome in MGS "you love all the killing", things like that, throwing up in MGS4 if you go on a killing spree. Very cool.

Unless he's Wile E Coyote disguised as a security guard, he dies. Noone else could survive that.

DaBuddaDa said:

For 60% of the games he's not killing people in self defence, he's killing people that are in the way of his quest to find El Dorado or Shambhala. He shoots first most of the time because they are after the same payday he is and he's willing to kill to get there first. The body count is in the thousands before the story turns into "I need to save the world from these evil men and destroy this thing before more evil men try and get their hands on it".

StuBurns

Banned
LiK said:
And Spider-Man gets a pass?
Do you think Spider Man is normal?

Bond is the same, fucking maniac, killing people then cracking gags while they bleed out, psycho shit.

krae_man said:
Unless he's Wile E Coyote disguised as a security guard, he dies. Noone else could survive that.
If you look down, Mr Coyote falls into water and swims away.

Mar

Dad Is A Zombie said:
Not that I need to explain myself to some internet douche bag but my wife of 15 years would beg to differ with you.

Internet douche bag! You're a lovely person aren't you.

LiK

StuBurns said:

Bond is the same, fucking maniac, killing people then cracking gags while they bleed out, psycho shit.

So essentially we're all playing psychos. Hope that settles it.

krae_man

StuBurns said:

That's a dead body floating. Seriously though, I know according to Naughty Dog he survives. I still say Nathan killed that guy.

mik

mik is unbeatable
StuBurns said:
He could get a job tending bar
That would be a pretty rad game. Though it would be a shame to see Sully and Elena recast with Elisabeth Shue and Bryan Brown.

*Aaaaaruba, Jamaica....*

krae_man said:
He shoots first most of the time because they are after the same payday he is and he's willing to kill to get there first.
So by that logic, Han Solo is a murderer too, huh? Huh?!?!? HUH!??!

Well yeah, I guess it does.

StuBurns

Banned
krae_man said:
That's a dead body floating. Seriously though, I know according to Naughty Dog he survives. I still say Nathan killed that guy.
Yeah possibly. It's a bit like the Batman game, there are things in that which you can do to people that no human would survive, and yet the game will tell you they're unharmed sleeping happily.

Uncharted 2 wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the sheer quantity of dudes you have to fight. It's ridiculous. By the end of the game I was sick of it. I think I would have liked the game twice as much if it had had half the enemies.

LiK

Neuromancer said:
Uncharted 2 wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the sheer quantity of dudes you have to fight. It's ridiculous. By the end of the game I was sick of it. I think I would have liked the game twice as much if it had had half the enemies.
I hated those bullet sponge yakmen. Ridiculous even on Normal.

krae_man said:

Reminds me of in Iago The Return of Jafar

You'd be surprised what you can live through ::cough::

What a great movie

krae_man

HamPster PamPster said:
Reminds me of in Iago The Return of Jafar

You'd be surprised what you can live through ::cough::

What a great movie

Never saw that movie. I assume it was Iago explaining how he could survive with no food, water etc in that "itty bitty living space"?

krae_man said:
Never saw that movie. I assume it was Iago explaining how he could survive with no food, water etc in that "itty bitty living space"?

No, it means that even though Genies can't kill it won't stop them from trying!

Jafar tried to kill Iago to stop him from destroying Jafar's lamp but that little bird had too much heart ::sniff sniff:: getting all misty eyed thinking about it

Did they ever bring Jafar back somehow in the cartoon?

Flambe

Good show guys, and I liked Andrea too but I admit it might be that her melodious voice harmonizes well with Garnett's dulcet lower tones... o.o

Ahem, moving on

MiniBossBattle said:
Jeff is still the best when he is in full whimsy.

Ah crap not quite moving on. Yes! I love that Jeff isn't embarrassed to speak with genuine passion for games he loves, not sure if I've heard such true sincerity on any other podcast. I don't usually say stuff like this about grown men, but it's so cute =P

Okay moving on for real!

Dead Space. I totally get where y'all were coming from from the 'scare/action' parts of the game. It does follow a path pretty much where they just increase the numbers or difficulty of the baddies (fucking black necromorphs ahh) as the game progresses and it just becomes about beating a certain room or two to make it to the next checkpoint or save point.

That being said, I love the tension the atmosphere and battles create but I like the game for that rather than any compelling shooting mechanics.
While the limb-cutting is great and definitely adds tension as you don't want to waste unnecessary ammunition, in a way it cheapens encounters to the point where I feel tempted to reload to a previous save if I "wasted' a certain amount of shots by shooting the torso or whatnot.
Now I don't reload mind you, but it feels like it comes close to treading the line. Which is stupid in a way because you can just buy more ammo (which I do) but that pisses another part of me that wants to hoard credits for Power Nodes.. Goddamn min-maxing..

Aaanyway I quite enjoy DeadSpace 2 and don't regret my purchase at all, but I can totally understand why 3 people don't like it heh.

As to shooting games, I think we're stuck there for any foreseeable future. A shootemup action blockbuster movie might have a lower bodycount, but it's also only a couple hours and they usually try and shoehorn some story in there.
True Lies is pretty ridiculous in action sequences but it tweaks that little testosterone baby inside nicely.
For most shooters there's even less story than that sooo they need something to fill up your time with I guess.

An alternative I see would be to have fewer enemy encounters (maybe 2 or 3 at a time mostly) but you'd have to spread the levels out much more (with compelling environments or narration, no less) to try and compensate for the time-lost.
And of course if you reduced enemies you'd have to fall back to almost a Rainbow 6 system of dying freaking fast with probably no health regen (or a 'bubble' system like Resistance at the most) else there'd be no risk and the player would just cruise through.

Ugh I dunno. Even in that example I can see why Devs would rather take the time to polish a really great level and use more enemies to slow your progress down rather than spend time/money on environments you might not even be looking at all that much. Of course if you spew too much narration between fights you run the risk of boring a player too (Perhaps some people's dislike of Metal Gear series.)

For me, Uncharted/Half Life kinda games are the ones that I find more interesting than a straight up shooter like CoD/Halo. While they admit they need a strong shooting component, they try and give some quality breaks either through narrative or puzzle sequences.

This is true, though for me I'd be happy with 2/3s the enemies but that's just quibbling heh.

ACE 1991

DaBuddaDa said:

Still, it's kind of ridiculous how happy-go-lucky he is after committing mass murder, even if it was in self-defense.

The Bookerman said:
I love Weekend confirmed, but the game previews seem lacking. It seems that every guy or gal on the show is able to play ONE game. I also do not like the warning section of the show. It's there every single week. I wish that games previews/reviews themselves should have a bigger place on the show. Most of the questions picked for the warning are mostly philosophical. "Should we have less games about shooting?" Those kind of questions bore the hell out of me. it's like I'm at a IGDA meeting everytime I listen to this part of the podcast.

I'd like to see something like this discussed: "Why did the music game genre died? is it all activision's fault or it was obviously a fad that had an expiration date?"

"What's the future of the wii? Wii HD in the wings and at the very least announced @ E3?"

I'm not here to troll cause I love the podcast, Garnett and you Jeff C. But some changes could make it better.
I agree with all your points. Also I've said it once and I'll say it again, I think the news should go before the rambling, long form discussion. I think it would make for a tighter show.

If Andrea wants anime recommondations how about Hanasaku Iroha

I haven't seen it yet but anime-gaf is giving it positive impressions and they would never mislead us..... ::poker face.gif::

I'll feel better knowing that I dragged some poor sap with me when the show inevitably goes to crap

DaBuddaDa

ACE 1991 said:
Still, it's kind of ridiculous how happy-go-lucky he is after committing mass murder, even if it was in self-defense.
For christs sake, it's not committing mass murder, it's escaping a jungle/temple/compound/city/whatever from hundreds of soldiers looking to murder HIM. Laughing, breathing a sigh of relief or making light of the situation is a very common, natural human reaction when escaping a difficult situation unharmed.

Kusagari

DaBuddaDa said:
For christs sake, it's not committing mass murder, it's escaping a jungle/temple/compound/city/whatever from hundreds of soldiers looking to murder HIM. Laughing and breathing a sigh of relief is a very common, natural human reaction when escaping a difficult situation unharmed.

You sound like you're speaking for experience. How many dudes have you killed?

StuBurns

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
For christs sake, it's not committing mass murder, it's escaping a jungle/temple/compound/city/whatever from hundreds of soldiers looking to murder HIM. Laughing, breathing a sigh of relief or making light of the situation is a very common, natural human reaction when escaping a difficult situation unharmed.
He doesn't have to put himself in that situation.

Yes if you wake up, there is a gun next to your bed and there are people trying to kill you, defending yourself is acceptable. However if you break into a place filled with people and attempt to steal something, knowing there could be violent repercussions, and most importantly, you do this all the time, then you are a serial killer.

Nert

Nearly every protagonist in a game where combat/shooting dudes is the core mechanic could be seen as a psychopath. It would be incredibly difficult for Uncharted 2 to treat the significance of death in the way that a movie like Unforgiven does when the game's core mechanic is the repetition of killing. Just imagine how bizarre it would be if Nathan Drake paused to ruminate on the nature of humanity after every instance of shooting some guy.

Flambe

DaBuddaDa said:
For christs sake, it's not committing mass murder, it's escaping a jungle/temple/compound/city/whatever from hundreds of soldiers looking to murder HIM

He does his share of sneaking up by ledge and throwing them to their deaths without them knowing it's coming. Sketchy self-defense argument in a fair few cases.

Kusagari

DaBuddaDa said:
You too, how about you?

Oh, I killed 20 dudes when I was in Disney World on Saturday. Drake thinks he has it rough dealing with crazy treasure hunters? Try dealing with senior citizens.

StuBurns said:
He doesn't have to put himself in that situation.

Yes if you wake up, there is a gun next to your bed and there are people trying to kill you, defending yourself is acceptable. However if you break into a place field with people and attempt to steal something, knowing there could be violent repercussions, and most importantly, you do this all the time, then you are a serial killer.

Also know as "XIII was the best shooter last gen" effect :)

DaBuddaDa

StuBurns said:
However if you break into a place field with people and attempt to steal something, knowing there could be violent repercussions, and most importantly, you do this all the time, then you are a serial killer.
No, that just makes you a really bad thief.

LiK

Kintaro said:
Ugh, this stupid "Nathan is a mass murderer." shit rears its ugly head yet again.
It never ends. I hope to kill more dudes with a wink and a nod in Uncharted 3.

Roc Gaude

bigdaddygamebot said:
Excitement in my day comes from some asshole not signaling in their car and driving across three lanes of traffic to get their Double Double Extra Large at Tim Hortons.

If I lived in Canada, I'd be the key source of this excitement...every friggin' day. ;)

Kintaro said:
Ugh, this stupid "Nathan is a mass murderer." shit rears its ugly head yet again.
Same reason people keep bringing up Niko in GTA4 crying and holding his head over having killed people in a cutscene, then going out on a mission to deal drugs and kill a hundred dudes. It's incongruent.

When your story and your cutscenes don't jive with your gameplay, people are going to notice.

DaBuddaDa

Neuromancer said:
Same reason people keep bringing up Niko in GTA4 crying and holding his head over having killed people in a cutscene, then going out on a mission to deal drugs and kill a hundred dudes. It's incongruent.

When your story and your cutscenes don't jive with your gameplay, people are going to notice.
I don't think there is any incongruousness in Uncharted, especially considering its genre and intent, that's why the conversation is so tiring and confusing. I can understand it in GTA IV, albeit still slighter than many people, but Uncharted?

It's a fun, silly action game with fun and silly characters in over the top action sequences involving lots of shooting, just like a fun and silly action movie. It's not meant to be OMG SO REALISTIC! If you want that then you'd have a game like Nert said: "Just imagine how bizarre it would be if Nathan Drake paused to ruminate on the nature of humanity after every instance of shooting some guy."

scoobs

The people in here that are seriously saying that Nathan drake is a serial killer need to quit trying so hard... its a videogame first and foremost. If it didn't have shooting, you'd cut the audience in half and it would probably be much less exciting.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Neuromancer said:

I agree much more with the criticisms of incongruence in GTA4 than for Uncharted, though I see where both are coming from. In GTA4 Niko literally starts out looking for peace in a new life and then almost immediately starts killing people for 100 dollars. It's just hammered home over and over again that he'll do anything for mahney. This didn't really affect my enjoyment of the game, mind you.

The Drake situation is different perhaps because his archetype is easier to digest, given that it's pretty common for action heroes to get involved in crazy shit and end up killing or hurting a lot of people while cracking a joke.

scoobs said:
The people in here that are seriously saying that Nathan drake is a serial killer need to quit trying so hard... its a videogame first and foremost. If it didn't have shooting, you'd cut the audience in half and it would probably be much less exciting.

This set of assertions doesn't necessarily speak to the debate. People are just talking about it terms of dissonance between character and action, not saying videogames shouldn't be about shooting, nor are people talking about what sells and what doesn't. People understand that shooting is popular but the focus of the discussion is elsewhere this time.

LiK

scoobs said:
Yup, people complained about the stealth stage and now people complain he killed too many people. Hell, Drake can climb the side of a goddamn mountain without any climbing gear. VIDEO GAMES. Deal with it.

Massa

Neuromancer said:

People that have a problem with GTA IV don't necessarilly look at cutscene versus gameplay. The "I want a new life in America" and "as long as it pays, I'll kill him" are both presented in cutscenes.

Keep in mind I enjoyed GTA IV in part because of Nyko's character. Yes he was inconsistant, that's what made him interesting.

The only problem I had with Uncharted 2 was when Drake got shot in a cutscene and was badly injured after minutes of shooting and getting shot at by that same guy in gameplay. That was really jarring.

StuBurns

Banned
LiK said:
Yup, people complained about the stealth stage and now people complain he killed too many people. Hell, Drake can climb the side of a goddamn mountain without any climbing gear. VIDEO GAMES. Deal with it.
You are aware this is a video game discussion board right? The point is to discuss video games. This is the one place (okay, maybe two including QT3) where this debate should be able to take place without masses whitewashing with "It's just a video game".

This really irritates me, because any thread that is dissecting an aspect of game design but summarizes something positive, is fine, people agree games should be looked at in that manner and it's great, but you do that with anything that's negative and the board turns into a bunch of children.

There is dissonance for some people when playing Uncharted, that's pretty clear based on the fact this topic comes up all the time. Maybe not for you, maybe not for most people, but clearly it happens, and that seems as worthy of discussion as if Garnett is strange when sitting next to a pretty girl, hell, I'd say it might even be more interesting.

LiK

StuBurns said:
You are aware this is a video game discussion board right? The point is to discuss video games. This is the one place (okay, maybe two including QT3) where this debate should be able to take place without masses whitewashing with "It's just a video game".

This really irritates me, because any thread that is dissecting an aspect of game design but summarizes something positive, is fine, people agree games should be looked at in that manner and it's great, but you do that with anything that's negative and the board turns into a bunch of children.

There is dissonance for some people when playing Uncharted, that's pretty clear based on the fact this topic comes up all the time. Maybe not for you, maybe not for most people, but clearly it happens, and that seems as worthy of discussion as if Garnett is strange when sitting next to a pretty girl, hell, I'd say it might even be more interesting.
I just find it annoying that Uncharted is the main game that gets ridiculed to death over the body count when so many other games can be discussed.

Oh yea, that was just false anger. I'm doing my Garnett impression. :p

Bigfoot

LiK said:
I don't think anyone would be complaining if Uncharted didn't sell itself on it's story as much as gameplay. The fact that the story and character conflicts with all the killing is the reason for the discussion. If Drake was a criminal instead of an "everyday guy", it wouldn't be a big deal.

I can totally see the dissonance in Uncharted.

StuBurns

Banned
LiK said:
I just find it annoying that Uncharted is the main game that gets ridiculed to death over the body count when so many other games can be discussed.

Oh yea, that was just false anger. I'm doing my Garnett impression. :p
Uncharted is best example I can think of. He's meant to be a charming rogue character. Niko for example is a disgusting piece of shit, he's meant to be seen like that, they frame him that way.

If you just take the highest rated PS3 games in order, GTA4 covered, Uncharted 2 is second. It's very prominent in people's minds. Next is RDR, straight away he's a self confessed killer, BioShock, they're crazy, you have no choice. MGS4 they address it within the game, Snake throws up etc. MW1, I can't remember any of them, but they're military. You have to go down to Uncharted 1 till there's another really good example. That's it on the first page of top rated PS3 games on Game Rankings.

Uncharted is the example that always comes up, but I think there are good reasons for that.

Top Bottom