• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Weekend Confirmed 2014 Thread

Nymphae

Banned
I'm thinking I may cobble together some sort of inexpensive setup to do video and maybe capture too. Knock out quick episodes on what's happening right now. And I pretty much want to be able to do video with any future long form podcast too.

Seriously Garnett, make a donations page or something, if money is an issue I think a lot of us would be more than willing to donate so we can continue to hear your awesomeness.

Video though? Personally I have very little interest in video podcasts, at least when it's just dudes talking games. I listen to Weekend Confirmed when I'm playing games, or doing other stuff. I stopped watching video podcasts completely because I don't have the time to fit them into my schedule. I just hope you at least consider doing an audio only version in addition to video if you do decide to go that route.

KalBalboa

Banned
Thanks for that feedback, I really appreciate it.

I really love having the live calls as a part of the show, but it is certainly a learning process for me. I never want it to derail anything we are talking about, but rather inject new perspectives. As the show grows, I hope to find a sweet spot for that stuff. Thanks for listening to it.

Oh, and next week Garnett will be on, so that should be a fun one!

Excellent.

Dandalf

Neo Member
If you're into conspiracy theories maybe I planned all this to quiet haters in the silence of not having a show and create fervor for a new show!

Nothing new to report yet but a few thoughts. I already really miss doing the show. It's like it became wired into my consciousness. Which is weird too because I got to tell you sometimes I would feel like, well, just, you know, man, I have to get this show together this week and shit I've got to get it all right and I'm not feeling it but I can power through this.

I'm thinking I may cobble together some sort of inexpensive setup to do video and maybe capture too. Knock out quick episodes on what's happening right now. And I pretty much want to be able to do video with any future long form podcast too.

I'm getting a used Mac Mini which I think I can use as a starting point for audio and video editing--going to hook it up to my TV actually to be my media PC but it can do both.

So, there you go. Sunday evening update. Last week at work ahead.

Thanks for this update, Garnett.

A few buddies and I (years back) would sit in our living room, open a MacBook Pro and start up Garage Band. We had a microphone similar to this and it worked well enough.

Granted, there were times when one person would say things while looking the wrong direction, but it could be cleaned up (or we'd just skip it and move on).

It's good for 3-4 people if they're sitting around a table and talking. The mic tends to catch what everyone's saying and since we were all looking at each other anyways there weren't many sound issues.

Still, this last weekend was a bit rough without my regular podcast to listen to...

Thanks for that feedback, I really appreciate it.

I really love having the live calls as a part of the show, but it is certainly a learning process for me. I never want it to derail anything we are talking about, but rather inject new perspectives. As the show grows, I hope to find a sweet spot for that stuff. Thanks for listening to it.

Oh, and next week Garnett will be on, so that should be a fun one!
Awesome! Just listened to DLC this morning for the first time and I liked it a lot. Keep up the good work.

Garnett reacting to EA on twitter:

GarnettLee ‏@GarnettLee 15m

Pretty unbelievable. I don't care if you have a metric that shows you some silly low percentage of players impacted. Treat them respectfully

GarnettLee ‏@GarnettLee 11m

I feel like I need a camera and mic so bad right now. Guess I need to get on that

sneaky77

Garnett reacting to EA on twitter:

GarnettLee ‏@GarnettLee 15m

Pretty unbelievable. I don't care if you have a metric that shows you some silly low percentage of players impacted. Treat them respectfully

GarnettLee ‏@GarnettLee 11m

I feel like I need a camera and mic so bad right now. Guess I need to get on that

nvm found it

antigoon

I'm still making my way through the last episode (it's great) and I just need to say that the NBA 2K section was a riot. Hliarious stuff.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
john davison just said on the outerlands live stream that he and garnett are talking about doing a new show

Didn't Garnett mention that John Davison was interested in doing a new show or similar in the last episode of Weekend Confirmed as well?

gazele

Banned
john davison just said on the outerlands live stream that he and garnett are talking about doing a new show

No way...I'm done kickstarting things, but I would back this like crazy, Shane and Luke stretch goals (but still cannata of course)

Socky

Nothing against video, but audio let's me fit in a 2 hour podcast while I do other things, which is a big plus and makes the other things (usually washing up or some other hum-drum drudgery) pass by much more pleasantly.

A Davidson/Garnett/Cannata +1 podcast would be great. Fingers crossed fellas.

mattp

davison said it would probably depend on garnett moving back to the bay area

but he also mentioned they thought about doing a skype show kind of like bombin in the am

appaws

Banned
I am definetly in for at least a couple hundy to kickstart a Lee/Davison/Canatta podcast. Actually for anything Garnett does really.

I've been listening since the beginning of 1up Yours, and nobody except maybe Stern has given me so much listening pleasure.

Garnett Lee: King of All Podcasting.

BJK

MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

I don't care if the audio quality sounds like it's recorded underwater; content is king....and my weekends require some sort of confirmation.

Hate to be a party pooper, but I'd kickstart that NOT to happen. A podcast where Davison sticks to his guns that new consoles won't sell because everyone will buy ipads instead, as they do everything a console does and more besides (just how well is that prediction working out for him then huh?)

And Garnett being egged on to talk endlessly about what it takes to make mobile games. Love Garnett..... can't stand Davison.

And why would it need kickstarting? Why can't they just attach mics to those amazing super duper "lag free" pc's that they own and keep pimping these days? They sound like the best things since sliced bread.

Hate to be a party pooper, but I'd kickstart that NOT to happen. A podcast where Davison sticks to his guns that new consoles won't sell because everyone will buy ipads instead, as they do everything a console does and more besides (just how well is that prediction working out for him then huh?)

And Garnett being egged on to talk endlessly about what it takes to make mobile games. Love Garnett..... can't stand Davison.

And why would it need kickstarting? Why can't they just attach mics to those amazing super duper "lag free" pc's that they own and keep pimping these days? They sound like the best things since sliced bread.

I halfway agree with this. It would suck if they just did a show on mobile gaming and were not being focused about console gaming in general like they have been since the 1up days.

However, I dont think they would do that. Half of the 1up team together would be pure gold.

And yes it sucks how Garnett kept pimping those do it yourself PC's with those obnoxious commercials. Get rid of those.

appaws

Banned
I don't think they would do a show on just mobile gaming, but if that is what they are working on in their "day" jobs, then why not talk about it.

As far as the commercials...they are commercials, who cares? Gotta pay the bills.

I would like to see guest spots from great podcasters of the past who don't currently have an audio home: Bettenhausen, Sharkey, Bailey, Kohler, and of course Luke Smith.

GarnettLee ‏@GarnettLee 3h

Weekend Confirmed! And to help brighten things it’s my goal to have a first new something out by next Friday!

GarnettLee ‏@GarnettLee 42m

Cleaning out the desk, tidying up the computer. About done with my last day here and set to trigger the beginning of what comes next

While waiting for Garnett to regroup I'm listening to the This Year 1up Yours collections. Crazy how well it holds up. Not just in quality but the topics too - Seven years later we're still having the same microtransaction complaints. Luke's disdain for "consumables" could have aired this week without missing a beat. Such a shame out of the core 4 only Garnett is still out their podcasting

E92 M3

While waiting for Garnett to regroup I'm listening to the This Year 1up Yours collections. Crazy how well it holds up. Not just in quality but the topics too - Seven years later we're still having the same microtransaction complaints. Luke's disdain for "consumables" could have aired this week without missing a beat. Such a shame out of the core 4 only Garnett is still out their podcasting

Those podcasts definitely hold up well. I relisten all the time; such a fantastic group they had.

bigkrev

Well, except for the part where he equates it to Rape :p

What stands out to me about the old stuff is how far we have come in under 10 years- all the rape, gay, and sexisim jokes/comments would never fly today.

appaws

Banned
Well, except for the part where he equates it to Rape :p

What stands out to me about the old stuff is how far we have come in under 10 years- all the rape, gay, and sexisim jokes/comments would never fly today.

Well yeah, the wrath of collective internet outrage comes down quickly these days if you dare to tread over the PC line.

I am not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing though...?

antigoon

Is it really about being "PC" or is it about respecting and empathizing with others? I loved 1UP Yours but I'm glad that kind of humor has (mostly) left the show.

appaws

Banned
Is it really about being "PC" or is it about respecting and empathizing with others?

I would argue that is a matter of the intent of the person saying something and the context, and is not always as simple as the philosopher kings of internet respectability make it out to be. Take the following two statements:

1. Gingers suck and they should all die. (said non-sarcastically)
2. Those Gingers go in the sun for five minutes and they look like cooked turkeys. They should stay in Seattle. Haha.

I think most reasonable people would consider those two statements differently, one being disrespectful and hateful of a group, and the other just being a quip laughing about a groups traits. When I am talking about PC thought police, I am talking about the people who think the sayers of those two statements are both guilty of an "-ism" and need to be attacked and boycotted until they issue the appropriate mea culpa to the Ginger community.

I don't think the old 1up Yours cast ever crossed the line from #2 into #1.

frequency

Both options hurt when used often enough if you fit the target group being made fun of.

It's unnecessary "humour" at the expense of others no matter how you spin it. Keep it to private talk if you're so selfish you need to insult others to get a laugh.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
any updates Garnett? Said you maybe had something in this week, really miss not having it for my jogs

I'm listening to giant Bombcast as a potential replacement for WC. It's been 30 minutes and they just mentioned their first videogame.

There's got to be something better than this?

I'm listening to giant Bombcast as a potential replacement for WC. It's been 30 minutes and they just mentioned their first videogame.

8-4 Play might be more your style - although IMO there is nothing wrong with Giant Bomb's style at all. It is highly personality driven though. You really have to stick with it a few weeks, as there is a science to the madness they talk about - honestly!

Also Giant Bomb's twice weekly two-man (sometimes with a guest) Bomin' in the AM is more about games than the main podcast is. Get's to the point quicker - and is hout long

8-4 Play might be more your style - although IMO there is nothing wrong with Giant Bomb's style at all. It is highly personality driven though. You really have to stick with it a few weeks, as there is a science to the madness they talk about - honestly!

Also Giant Bomb's twice weekly two-man (sometimes with a guest) Bomin' in the AM is more about games than the main podcast is. Get's to the point quicker - and is hout long

Thanks, will check them out. In the meantime I found DLC which happened to Garnet on this week :) satisfied my itch! Great show Jeff! Keep it up!

antigoon

Have there been anymore Vinny-hosted Bombcasts where he adds audio drops and silly music like the one a few months ago with Jeff Green? That was one of the funniest podcasts I'd ever heard. I haven't really listened to the show much recently.

Have there been anymore Vinny-hosted Bombcasts where he adds audio drops and silly music like the one a few months ago with Jeff Green? That was one of the funniest podcasts I'd ever heard. I haven't really listened to the show much recently.

Yes, a recent one with Will Smith and Dave Snyder.

I think the key to starting to listen Giant Bomb is to listen in a month like March or Oct/Nov when there's a ton of new major releases coming out, and the majority of the cast is about those games. Then when they get to the lean months you already know them and their in jokes and you can embrace the lack of game talk. That's how it was for me anyways.

GarnettLee ‏@GarnettLee 3m

Weekend Confirmed! And a little update. Think I've settled on a mic to buy. Now I just need to order and a few other items. Progress

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris

I agree, you either dig their personalities or not, I dont, hence I cant listen to it. Cant listen to IGN for the same reason, they seem to want to appeal to 14 year olds.

GarnettLee ‏@GarnettLee 9m

So a little more info because you've all been awesome. I think there'll be a me solo show, a me and @jeffcannata show, and some video too

theowne

Sounds like Garnett's really going in on this. Great to hear, cause some of the rumblings made me wonder if we were even going to see another show.

Bombcast is good but only if you have tons of free time in your life. I have only a small amount of free time, and I actually use what I can of it to ......... Play video games.

Top Bottom