• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Weekend Confirmed 2014 Thread

IzzyF3

Garnett really does makes the best damn video games podcast out there. His shows really makes me feel like I'm hanging out with a bunch of people passionate about video games, and I think that's where his magic lies.

It's also really easy to fall into snark and cynicism when talking about video games, but somehow Garnett and Jeff has always been above that and honestly, I think their positive and down-to-earth attitude about everything, not just games, has definitely made me a better person. With the many years that Garnett has been doing this show, I'm sure we all had our ups and downs and really downs, but at the end of the week, there's always Garnett's video games podcast that remains a constant positive.

Thank you, Garnett, Jeff, Del Rio, Christian, Brian, Andrea, Andrew, Indie Jeff, Nicole, Billy, and Ariel for the damn good podcasts. Please keep us posted on your crowd funding options! Continue making the best video games podcast (really the best podcast in general) out there.

adamrida

Neo Member
My Weekend Confirmed experience goes back all the way to 2008 when I first met my friend Grant at law school and we became really good friends over our love of video games. Eventually he recommended that I listen to 1UP Yours and since then I have become a massive fan of Garnett Lee. The man has an incredible passion for video games and speaks to that passion every week and puts those opinions out there for scrutiny, that's not an easy task by any means.

When Weekend Confirmed started, I was so excited that Garnett was still able to do a podcast and listening every week I grew to love all of the other voices that became a part of the rich tapestry of Weekend Confirmed. I am so grateful that a few years later when I went to LA that I was able to meet Christian in person and have those discussions that I listened to every week in person. I am indebted to Christian for his hospitality and generosity in meeting with me and taking time out of his schedule while i was on holiday. Also last year I was able to meet Cannata at Pax Australia and meet all the other Aussie WC fans who had come to see Jeff. I was blown away by how genuine and unashamedly loving Jeff is regarding his passion for Video Games and Board Games. My highlight of that weekend was the meet up and the panel. Also in my interactions with the rest of the crew on Twitter, everyone has been so welcoming and positive and it's really great to see how active everyone is in responding to fans out there on social media.

I'm not sure what's next for the WC gang but I do hope that there is a desire to continue the amazing conversations that I've been able to hear for the past 4 years. Some might say it's weird to feel so attached to a podcast but you really do feel a sense of kinship when you listen to someone for 2 hours a week. It really is more than what some people listen to their best friends for. While I would have disagreements with things said sometimes, I would always maintain that any comments be written in a positive form that actually generated debate on the subject and its unfortunate that we sometimes lose sight of that on the internet.

So to close, from the bottom of my heart I would like to say thank you to the hours of memories. To Garnett, Jeff, Brian, Christian, Indie Jeff, Ozzie, Andrew, Andrea, Nikole, Del Rio, Xav, Ariel, Ryan, James Stevenson, John Davison, David Ellis and anyone else who has been a part of the show, thank you so so much for your contributions. You all have positively impacted my life in ways you will never know.

Just finished the final podcast.

Garnett, I hope this message is drowned out by all the others you've received. Again, thank you for making a podcast that has accompanied me to work and to law school for the past 4 years. I've been a listener of yours since your 1up days and so I will continue to search out for what you do next.

I have also agree with Jeff about the fact you owe nothing to anyone. You deliver something worth listening to every week in which us fans devour immediately. It's a contract yo!

I just wanted to quickly add and I hope this in some way puts your mind at ease, I think the gaming population had an issue of people angling a way into a major publisher by the way they conducted their coverage. No reasonable person whatsoever could ever claim that you are disingenuous in the way you approach gaming and the opinions you offer. You might end up being wrong but even so, it's always expressed genuinely!

If developing has tickled your fancy and the work you've done over the 2 years has given you an opportunity to progress, just take the damn chance! You of all people will know how to cater the game that serves the interests of gamers first rather than attempting to create something that lines your pocket.

Anyway, wishing you the best of luck.

To all the other weekend confirmed members, those that were regular or only appeared once or twice, again, thank you for being a part of the last 4 years of my life!

Wishing you all the best of luck.

Wishing Garnett the best of wishes in the future - and to everyone, Jeff (who has grown on me considerably), Ozzie, Christian, Jeff, Brian....I even learned to like Andrew. Thank you.

Oh my god though... Brian this week. I was laughing HARD twice at two moments in the show, which I felt was the funniest episode in a few months.

Brian saying, "Nintendo looked at the iPad and said **FAAHCKK!!!** (at the top of his lungs) made me stop and laugh a few times but later on in the podcast when he characterized Nintendo as a naked guy with a bag over his head, streaking at the super bowl and getting tackled by a security guard.... my lord. I was really, really laughing hard at that. Even his run up to it, talking about Nintendo capturing a genie in a bottle by accident and then running through all the other hits+misses, like wait no, this is the wii motion plus and it is better - no no wait, this is the vitality sensor no no wait this is the....

FUNNY. Really made me laugh.

Garnett Lee - I have been a fan since the olden times of yore. Nearly a decade. Jeff, you add plenty of value and are a riot. Brian - hilarious. What ever the next stop is on this train, I'll be there. If you read this, THANK YOU for the show. It is awesome and always has been (and will be).

eznark

Banned
Yeah Leahy is on!

"I could spend the next few hours talking about Dota"

"VETOED BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

And Andrea ruins it. Just the worst.

And Andrea ruins it. Just the worst.
Worst? She never bothered me until the epsiode where she and Marcus Beer (I think it was him - I am talking about the guy that said something to the effect of 'how does something in so small a package make so much trouble') got into it during that super huge guest show. He came off worse for the wear though, calling her a troublemaker and coming across as a grade-A jag. For her part, she was overly contrite and - sorry to say it - it almost sounded a little like bullying, met with sexism and belittling, and I hated listening to it. and I am not trying to be a white knight but as gaming journalists they both looked bad after that, to me. Him for being an ass, her for not standing up for herself. (If I am getting names or facts wrong, please correct me - I thought that was kind of wild, and at the time just didn't jump online to see what the reaction was).

LiK

Garnett, Act 2 of Broken Age is included with all copies of Act 1. There is no "buy the second half". It'll be a free update.

empathe

Oh my god though... Brian this week. I was laughing HARD twice at two moments in the show, which I felt was the funniest episode in a few months.

Brian saying, "Nintendo looked at the iPad and said **FAAHCKK!!!** (at the top of his lungs) made me stop and laugh

That was me.

a few times but later on in the podcast when he characterized Nintendo as a naked guy with a bag over his head, streaking at the super bowl and getting tackled by a security guard.... my lord. I was really, really laughing hard at that. Even his run up to it, talking about Nintendo capturing a genie in a bottle by accident and then running through all the other hits+misses, like wait no, this is the wii motion plus and it is better - no no wait, this is the vitality sensor no no wait this is the....

That was Spicer

;)

Rev3 would be a great fit for garnet IMO they need a pobcast garnet and ses would be awesome.

Oh man, Sess and Garnett would be great. They're both kinda 'top dogs' though and I'm not sure who would 'win' that power struggle.

Garnett also said he wanted to get more into development but felt bad that he might be a turncoat? Or his younger self would be calling him one. Times change and hell, all your old buddies are doing it in some fashion. Ariel works at Sony doesn't she? Maybe there's a job there for him.

That was me.

That was Spicer

;)

Jesus - I am sorry. It was very funny, regardless. I laughed a lot, FYI.
The pitch about the tablet you did for the game pad was awesome. Now I think that was you.
I actually think you were too kind about the "sweet tablet" for being just single touch and not retina, in 2014.
Funny though. 9 months to gestate a game. haha.

empathe

Jesus - I am sorry. It was very funny, regardless. I laughed a lot, FYI.
The pitch about the tablet you did for the game pad was awesome. Now I think that was you.
I actually think you were too kind about the "sweet tablet" for being just single touch and not retina, in 2014.
Funny though. 9 months to gestate a game. haha.

Yes, these were all me.

I just wanted to give Christian the credit on the other stuff since he's awesome.

mr2xxx

Banned
Great show, I'll miss it. Also I'm an idiot since I thought Nicole and Andrea where the same person, they just sound so similar.

ChristianSpicer

Neo Member
Yes, these were all me.

I just wanted to give Christian the credit on the other stuff since he's awesome.

Aw, thanks, sir! Too kind. You're awesome.

From now on, let's just tell people that if someone thought something was funny then it was one of us that said it and if they hated it, then it was totally someone else...regardless of who actually said it. Like, I can't believe Indie Jeff put Stanky Dick on the show ;)

Zodzilla

Aw, thanks, sir! Too kind. You're awesome.

From now on, let's just tell people that if someone thought something was funny then it was one of us that said it and if they hated it, then it was totally someone else...regardless of who actually said it. Like, I can't believe Indie Jeff put Stanky Dick on the show ;)

Christian, I always wanted to tell you: I usually listen to podcasts before I fall asleep, usually some sort of rotation of This American Life, the Giant Bombcast, or Weekend Confirmed.

One week my aunt, uncle, and their two younger kids showed up in town to visit some sites nearby. Being Asian, we're of the mindset that people shouldn't stay in hotels if there's a perfectly valid place to stay in the area. Of course they stayed over at my apartment. The very last day of the week they were in town, I went to sleep with the soothing sounds of Garnett trying to confirm my goddamn weekend on his goddamn show. When I woke up, I notice my computer's iTunes is stuck on pause in the middle of a song.

Apparently, it was a song that was blasting away and keeping them and their impressionable children up at about 12:30am.

Apparently, they're also now under the impression that I like to fall asleep to songs about the scented effects of feminine mucus perspiration on male genitalia.

ChristianSpicer

Neo Member
Christian, I always wanted to tell you: I usually listen to podcasts before I fall asleep, usually some sort of rotation of This American Life, the Giant Bombcast, or Weekend Confirmed.

One week my aunt, uncle, and their two younger kids showed up in town to visit some sites nearby. Being Asian, we're of the mindset that people shouldn't stay in hotels if there's a perfectly valid place to stay in the area. Of course they stayed over at my apartment. The very last day of the week they were in town, I went to sleep with the soothing sounds of Garnett trying to confirm my goddamn weekend on his goddamn show. When I woke up, I notice my computer's iTunes is stuck on pause in the middle of a song.

Apparently, it was a song that was blasting away and keeping them and their impressionable children up at about 12:30am.

Apparently, they're also now under the impression that I like to fall asleep to songs about the scented effects of feminine mucus perspiration on male genitalia.

Ha! Oh man. That's crazy!

Why are there so many lawyers who listen to Weekend Confirmed in this thread (me included)?

Thanks for everything, WC crew! It's been a great time, all the way back to the infancy of 1UpYours.

Blazyr

Pretty amazing to hear all the people who let us be part of their lives all over the world and what that means to them.

For all the grief that may come up over individual episodes, this group right here is pretty awesome. Thanks

So you know I'm not just being coy or whatever, what I do next career wise potentially plays a part in what my show options may be. So that's a big reason I haven't solidified plans including any sort of funding effort. My concern comes from the possibility of doing something where I wouldn't be able to do a show and follow through on whatever I setup.

I am figuring out what to do in the interim. Google hangout seems to be a good option. Thinking about other possibilities.

Jhoan

Listened to the final episode last night. It was bittersweet having a ton of recurring regulars on one show. I was also a bit saddened by the news that Garnett is in search of a new job given that he has family to support, but I'm sure he'll land on his feet. Honestly, I would've never heard of many of the recurring regulars if it wasn't for this show.

Spicer's Finishing Move had me rolling with laughter. Spicer, you're a fantastic guy man; the little jabs that you took at Andrea and then the wisecracks during the NBA 2K13 discussion was hilarious. Never change.

Andrea's Finishing Move made me cringe. I understand she's not a big fan of GAF members critiquing her but like Garnett said, she needs to play more games in order to be able to hold her own. As a media/art student my work gets criticized all the time. Sometimes it's good, constructive criticisms, other times it's bad. Either way, I take it in stride. I'm indifferent to her being a Microsoft fan personally.

Any way thank you Ozzie, 2N1T, Indie Jeff, Xav, Nikole (so adorable), Andrea, Yoon, Spicer, Leahy, and of course, Garnett for making a fantastic podcast happen even though I was LTTP at Episode 153 and skipped a summer episode. The guests were all fantastic. I'm still hoping Dan returns for an episode in the next podcast; he was pretty cool to listen to.

I'm eagerly looking forward the day when the spiritual successor rises; the camaraderie is the key ingredient to an excellent podcast. Maybe you guys can get Jeff Green away from his new day job and from streaming Dark Souls.

Great final show - I don't think I've missed an episode over the last 4 years. Congrats to Garnett and Jeff for a fantastic run! Looking forward to hearing what you guys come up with next.

Pretty amazing to hear all the people who let us be part of their lives all over the world and what that means to them.

For all the grief that may come up over individual episodes, this group right here is pretty awesome. Thanks

So you know I'm not just being coy or whatever, what I do next career wise potentially plays a part in what my show options may be. So that's a big reason I haven't solidified plans including any sort of funding effort. My concern comes from the possibility of doing something where I wouldn't be able to do a show and follow through on whatever I setup.

I am figuring out what to do in the interim. Google hangout seems to be a good option. Thinking about other possibilities.
As much as I would love for you to go to Sony and join up with Bettenhausen, don't do it if they won't let you podcast!

Barryman

Oh man, it got REAL during this podcast.

Here I was assuming that there was no possible way Garnett couldn't keep going. His uncertainty about that was like a gut punch.

That having been said, Garnett's gotta do what he's gotta do. If he feels it is time to start a new chapter, I think he should go for it. I have a slightly different take than Jeff, in that I feel that Garnett does owe the audience something -- but we owe him just as much.

After Garnett took so many great principled stands over the years, I would be disappointed if he completely abandoned his opinions in his next job. But in turn, we should also support his decision to move on from podcasting if he feels that's the right move, and I trust Garnett to make the right move.

antigoon

Why are there so many lawyers who listen to Weekend Confirmed in this thread (me included)?

Thanks for everything, WC crew! It's been a great time, all the way back to the infancy of 1UpYours.

3L here finishing up my last semester HOO BOY.

I am gonna miss this show so much. I still haven't listened to the last episode...part of me doesn't want to.

Man, can't believe this is it. I've been listening to this show since very close to the beginning (can't remember where exactly) and it's always been a staple in my podcast rotation. Thank you Garnett for doing this every week, you're the man. Thanks to Jeff and all the guests as well.

Also, having Brian back just reminded me of how great the show was when it was Garnett, Jeff, and Brian. That combination is untouchable to this day.

Looking forward to whatever you do next, Garnett!

eznark

Banned

Good luck man.

I suggested this to you on twitter: consider Twitch streaming some game and talk to the audience as an interim "show." Lots of people have been enjoying The Jeff Green Show (Black Dragon plays Dark Souls) on Twitch over the past few months.

subwilde

It's almost surreal that this is the last one. I'm so used to refreshing that feed every Friday at 10AM, I'll be pretty sad come this week.

Supermega excited for what's coming next, either a video game or house music podcast, I would take both!

Btw Garnett, do you by chance have a Spotify playlist I can subscribe to? We have very similiar tastes. If not, maybe this is a way we can get both! :p

Garnett, I hope you land on your feet, whether it be in game development or writing, or some form of netcasting. You're a good dude and passionate about the gaming industry. Thank you for the 202 episodes and best of luck in the future.

chriskun

Can't thank you guys enough for doing the podcast, one of the few things I've had to look forward to on the beginning of my non-weekend.

I was there from the start to the end of Weekend Confirmed. It was heart breaking hearing Garnett reduced to tears at the end. I am there for whatever venture he decides to partake in with my support.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
Going to work this morning I realised that it's Friday but there's not going to be a Weekend Confirmed coming and it made me a sad panda.

Top Bottom