• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Weekend Confirmed 2014 Thread

remnant

Banned
That is nonsense.

The Xbox one is selling more than the PS4 right now?

Infamous: SS never got the "this game is why this box exists" marketing that Titanfall got. While I agree that the marketing Infamous has revieved is light, let's not pretend MS isn't betting the spring and summer months solely on titanfall, and is advertising as such.

Staal

It is so good to hear that voice again on my podcast playlist in the weekend.

Love the interludes, hoping for some good housemusic in the future.

Although it is a sensible approach, to differentiate with a one-man podcast. Dan Carlin does it with history and current events podcasts, why shouldn't it be possible for games.

I do hope their could be interviews added.

So far in half an hour in, quite interesting.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I think the one man thing will be tougher because you won't have anyone to play off of.

If I might make a suggestion to help deal with that. Go with really tight segments in a much shorter show, instead of marathons. Maybe a half-hour, 35 minutes. For example, do 10 minutes on whatever you are currently playing, and then 20 minutes on news stories, and then finish strong with an editorial or recommendation at the end.

Seriously man, don't put too much pressure on yourself. We love everything you do and appreciate it.

I havent listened but is there room for viewer interaction? Calls, it doesnt have to necessarily be other people but discussion is interesting, perspectives are important to engage the audience.

Looking forward to hearing this. I've listened to a couple of one man podcasts in the past and once they have a few shows under their belt, they flow just as well as a group show. Plus, being a fan of garnett and really not of the other male guests, im quite happy to hear him speak without being interrupted.

romulus91

cannot wait garnett . weekend confirmed was always my favorite. love the dedication and love to see what you will produce next ............ ask dodd how to make a soothing 1 man podcast

Garnett, it's called SKYPE. Everybody does it on podcasts. There are podcasts all over that do it. There are movie podcasts out there that have a 3 panel discussion and they are living in three different areas of the country.

No offense but it sounds like you want to limit yourself with excuses or you're lazy. I doubt it's the latter.

There is only one word for a one man podcast: BORING.

theowne

Garnett, I know you don't like Skype podcasts but I really would like to think that the amount of joy that you would bring to the audience through any kind of panel show hosted by you would outweigh the problems of a Skype podcast. But that's just my opinion.

Messi

Garnett, it's called SKYPE. Everybody does it on podcasts. There are podcasts all over that do it. There are movie podcasts out there that have a 3 panel discussion and they are living in three different areas of the country.

No offense but it sounds like you want to limit yourself with excuses or you're lazy. I doubt it's the latter.

I didnt find the episode to be boring in the slightest.

skynidas

Banned
i liked the episode. also the length of it was pretty cool and never got bored. i'm not a big fan of the skype thing, in my opinion it messes things up and it doesn't help to make for good discussions. the DLC podcast shows that, i can't bear with it because of this.

dLMN8R

I can't think of a more detestable internet trend than calling someone lazy after they spent hours of their time pouring their heart into something that they then give you for free. Ugh.

SeanNoonan

Damn shame Garnett couldn't continue using the same sub on iTunes.

Giving it a listen now... already seems weird that it's a solo effort.

Schrade

I can't think of a more detestable internet trend than calling someone lazy after they spent hours of their time pouring their heart into something that they then give you for free. Ugh.

I dunno.. astroturfing is pretty detestable.

But yeah, Garnett pours his heart into this stuff guys. Don't call him lazy.

NoPiece

Garnett, I know you don't like Skype podcasts but I really would like to think that the amount of joy that you would bring to the audience through any kind of panel show hosted by you would outweigh the problems of a Skype podcast. But that's just my opinion.

The Gamers with Jobs podcast is a great example of how a remote/skype podcast can totally work. Maybe they would share their process.

I liked the one man show and will definitely keep listening. But I'd like a panel discussion show as well. Garnett is a great host, and it's a shame to see that talent not put to use.

NoPiece

Even though he recorded this yesterday, his take on Infamous Second Son marketing effort was wrong.

One day before his recording we got absolute best in-depth look at the game with 3 [as I know of, IGN, Gamespot and Destructoid] gameplay sessions that were broadcasted live. For the first time public got the see uncut gameplay material, crazy visuals and gameplay, best showcase that game ever got [plus that live action trailer].

Now he is alone [I'm just 15min in, maybe he will get some guests later, dunno] and he needs to be better prepared if he wants to cover gaming news.

karbDir.png

Infamous is a harder sell and the Titanfall Beta is what has naturally created 90% of the buzz. Nonetheless, you can see there was a pretty similar level of interest for a long time, and it fair to call out the lack of marketing buzz. Can;t be happy with Sony marketing.

Rlan

Not sure I can listen to a 1 man podcast for an hour an a half. Especially if it requires you to play more games to compensate.

c00eb07c3b1d53d465a304dde5e7f43f4b9eeb74eb21bd709e16748897c564e7.jpg

dozilla

Neo Member
The Gamers with Jobs podcast is a great example of how a remote/skype podcast can totally work. Maybe they would share their process.

I liked the one man show and will definitely keep listening. But I'd like a panel discussion show as well. Garnett is a great host, and it's a shame to see that talent not put to use.

Exactly my thoughts as well. G's ability to bounce off people and spark conversations is something that's always made his podcasts some of the best.

I'll still listen, but the skype option seems like a perfect fit at this time for the show.

LifEndz

First off, I'm glad to have you back, Garnett. Just a few thoughts about the new show:

1) I think your show would benefit from having a different guest on every week or so. I know you're trying to get away from the whole panel thing, but a one man show comes off a little ramblely. Bill Burr pulls it off but that's probably because he's a comedian and is basically doing an off-the-cuff version of his act. Maybe set up a hotline and screen out some good calls for the show? I dunno. Show just feels like it needs a second voice.

2) If you're going to stick to the one man show, maybe time stamp the podcast. That way the listener can skip past the stuff that he/she isn't interested in (I know that might be too much work) and the show avoids becoming one guy constantly talking to no one.

3) Always liked the intermission music. Very cool taste there as always.

On a different note, I'm so glad TitanFall is out and we can now move on. The gaming media has been hyping this game as the Xbone's messiah and, personally, i'm tired of hearing about it. And, hopefully, once Infamous drops we can stop saying the PS4 has no games or is just sitting there or hasn't been used in x amount of time, etc etc.

Blazyr

What is a "skype?"

Come on now, though, that's exactly the sort of nonsense reply you should expect telling me "it's called Skype." Not exactly a secret service or something. And given that I've been on Skype shows too, just yeah.

subwilde

This was a very listenable one man podcast. I'd say you did an excellent job for your first episode! How many times did you start over? ;)

I would also note that the flow of the solo conversation was consistent and had flavor on top of that. Asking questions(inserting fan q's), raising hypotheticals, etc.

I don't mean to stroke Garnett's ego too much here guys but we did get an 90 mins+ of quality gaming talk and a bit of music too at a pretty high level of production quality. Really can't ask for much more than that.

frequency

I liked the solo show.

It was the first time ever listening to a Garnett-based podcast that stayed on topic.
I'm joking. Maybe.

Careful junior. It's a stylistic choice he made. It's not laziness. I find your logic lazy.

matt360

Garnett, can't tell you how good it was to hear you back on the mic. I really enjoyed listening to your one-man show. Great sound quality, nice music, and engaging from start to finish. I will definitely keep listening.

I'll be able to give some more opinions once a couple more eps come out, but great start!

Top Bottom