• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Weekend Confirmed 2014 Thread

I'm listening to 2007 1up Yours while waiting for Garnett's new thing this week

They are talking about Verses 13... in 2007. Has it really been that long? God damnit SE! Poor Shane, he was so full of hope back then. If only he and Luke were still around to duke it out these days

Nymphae

Banned
Very excited for the new show Garnett, Fridays haven't been the same for a while now.

Can't say I love the name choices though, I mean, Games on Games? I don't really even get it...Garnet on Games makes sense, but it's just so dry.

Can't wait for the new show Garnett! Saw you purchased the Audio Technica AT2020 mic which I have been using for years, its a great mic (have to lower the levels on it quite a bit though cause its super sensitive).

Please get Shane on at least one episode! And Luke...well, and John too!! I will go all N64 kid if that happens.

Jarnet87

I guess were not getting the Lee-Davison reunion?

Kickstarter for Garnett to move back to the Bay Area so we can get a weekly podcast from Garnett and John.

Nymphae

Banned
I guess were not getting the Lee-Davison reunion?

Kickstarter for Garnett to move back to the Bay Area so we can get a weekly podcast from Garnett and John.

I would love this. As much as 1upYours was the Shane & Luke show, I would kill to hear John and Garnett talk games again, they were really the best part of the show for me. Garnett's enthusiasm and John's thoughtful approach to subjects worked really well, such a shame those guys couldn't continue to do a show together.

E92 M3

I'm listening to 2007 1up Yours while waiting for Garnett's new thing this week

They are talking about Verses 13... in 2007. Has it really been that long? God damnit SE! Poor Shane, he was so full of hope back then. If only he and Luke were still around to duke it out these days

Strange how those older episodes always seem relevant. I love relistening to them; brings me great pleasure.

Blazyr

Recording the first show in the morning. Can't exactly say when it will be up since I am sure to be a little rusty on the engineering side but I have everything set to go. :)

burgerdog

Recording the first show in the morning. Can't exactly say when it will be up since I am sure to be a little rusty on the engineering side but I have everything set to go. :)

OOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMGGGGGGGGGGGG, I missed you guys so much. Friday just got even better!

Joeku

I mistakenly read it as Garnett on Games with Garnett. That would really work for me too.

In any case, rock on, brother.

Congrats! Good to have you back. Have you considered putting up a donation link on the podcast webpage so fans can support the new show? I would be proud to help support the show however I can.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

61880-George-Michael-its-happening-i-dNrF.gif

GarnettLee ‏@GarnettLee 1h

Ok, exhausted but four segments recorded. On to engineering. May have to eat something in here too. Fast as I can

Your Digital Future with Garnett Lee

Garnett's Guide to Great Gaming

A couple of a few Discussions about Games with Garnett

(Okay, you've made your Game, but now)
It's Time to Monetize It with Garnett Lee

Gabbin'/Gossipin' bout Games with Garnett

Garnett the Game Mechanic

sorry I was bored.
Hope to hear the new podcast soon!

GarnettLee ‏@GarnettLee 5m

Sorry folks, plugging away at the engineering. Was rustier than I expected plus changes to software. Progress being made tho

GarnettLee ‏@GarnettLee 2m

So I am in hell and this is taking forever. Sorry. I'm going to the gym in a bit to take out some frustrations. Show will be done tonight

Since he hasn't mentioned anyone I assume its a solo show? Curious to see how it turns out

Come Brian! Garnett needs you more than ever, time to come out of retirement and skype cast

Blazyr

With much love for GAF I give you my last update before going to bed. It's been a long day but the first episode of Garnett on Games is up!

If you're on iTunes I have submitted the feed and it was accepted. I cannot say how long it will take for them to approve it and get it available on the store but with any luck, not too long.

If you're using any other sort of podcast app that just uses the RSS feed, the address is http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames.xml

And finally, you can listen in a browser directly off the show's Shout Engine page at http://shoutengine.com/GarnettonGames/garnett-on-games-debuts-1569

And now bed. Eager to see your feedback. If there's a new thread now that it's a show I'll move over there. And if you like it, hope you'll review and share it.

I think it's quite telling that Garnett said he was looking forward to Halo 4.

I don't think Halo has a grip on gaming or on these forums like it used to.

dkeane

Listening now. Great to here Garnett's voice again!
Good overview of the insane week in games. I wonder what he'll have to talk about for the slow weeks.
Please post when it's up on iTunes so I can subscribe/rate.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Finally, his own god damn show!

I am saving it for my drive to the football this afternoon, those journeys are not the same without a Garnett podcast, the last few weeks have been rough.

DieH@rd

Banned
Even though he recorded this yesterday, his take on Infamous Second Son marketing effort was wrong.

One day before his recording we got absolute best in-depth look at the game with 3 [as I know of, IGN, Gamespot and Destructoid] gameplay sessions that were broadcasted live. For the first time public got the see uncut gameplay material, crazy visuals and gameplay, best showcase that game ever got [plus that live action trailer].

Now he is alone [I'm just 15min in, maybe he will get some guests later, dunno] and he needs to be better prepared if he wants to cover gaming news.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I've listened for a while now Garnett, and right now my only big problem is that you're alone. Nothing personal of course, I just find it hard in general to keep my attention up for a longer period of time if there aren't any discussions between people.
How many mics do you have, Garnett? Is the plan going forward to invite people over to your place, or are you going the Skype route? And sorry if you already answered this in the first episode (which I have yet to finish).

EDIT: OK, you explained it a bit more partways into the episode. But I'm confused, it almost sounded like you are planning no doing two different shows, one with Jeff and one on your own?

Massa

Even though he recorded this yesterday, his take on Infamous Second Son marketing effort was wrong.

One day before his recording we got absolute best in-depth look at the game with 3 [as I know of, IGN, Gamespot and Destructoid] gameplay sessions that were broadcasted live. For the first time public got the see uncut gameplay material, crazy visuals and gameplay, best showcase that game ever got [plus that live action trailer].

Now he is alone [I'm just 15min in, maybe he will get some guests later, dunno] and he needs to be better prepared if he wants to cover gaming news.

11 days before launch? That's too little too late, they should have done far more.

In your haste to write this out you might have neglected the fact that Garnett might have meant that Microsoft have thrown their weight behind Titanfall to be their flagship game.

This meant more than having 3 1-hour sessions on gaming sites.

It's included a new bundle, a price drop, an "alpha" and "beta" for people to play.

Added to the fact Titanfall has been mentioned constantly since E3 last year.

This even includes when you visit xbox.com, the first thing you see is Titanfall.

Looking at the official playstation website, the first thing I'm greeted with is the new Batman game.

So, in conclusion, it might be worth doing your homework before immediately posting.

DieH@rd

Banned
MS is promoting Titanfall like made because their console is underperforming, while on the other hand PS4 is selling like mad.

There is a chance that Sony has downsized marketing for I:SS because that invested money will not increase already maxed out console sales. We had Infamous preview 2-3 weeks ago together with Order, and now these live gameplay sessions in which developers said that they don't want to showcase much of the game on purpose...

To me, Infamous had good marketing campaign, but nothing close to the level of Titanfall. And that's fine.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
Haven't finished listening to this first episode yet. I just wanted to thank Garnett for getting back to podcasting business. Always a pleasure to listen to you. I guess there haven't been one-guy gaming podcasts before, so this format is a bit untested. Interesting to see, how it shapes out.

I'd really like to have some guests appear in the future. Is David Jaffe available? (Or Shane; dear god, let Shane make an appearance!)

Finished listening. Good show, you did a good job doing the show all by yourself. I've always liked it when you had people on and it was just a bunch of friends talking about games. I'll except the new format but I hope you do get other people to join you from time to time.

Only critique I have is there were times when you were talking really fast. You don't need to speak super slow, just keep in mind that it's just you and you don't need to worry about other people interrupting you before you can make a point. :D

Look forward to future shows.

Good to see Garnett is back. However, you need others on the show period. Yes there are many shows out there but you pioneered it before they did and were the best at it. Who cares what Giant Bomb does? They've turned into completely obnoxious buffoons. I stopped listening to them because it literally takes 45 mins for them to even start talking about game. I could care less about what crockpot or pressure cooker they're using. It's just a bunch of remedial banter back and forth of them trying to think they're funny and they're not. IMO that show has gone completely downhill.

I can't speak for anyone else but I enjoy listening to professional journalists talk about games, the industry, etc. And you nailed it with WC.

But as others have stated you need a panel.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Good to see Garnett is back. However, you need others on the show period. Yes there are many shows out there but you pioneered it before they did and were the best at it. Who cares what Giant Bomb does? They've turned into completely obnoxious buffoons. I stopped listening to them because it literally takes 45 mins for them to even start talking about game. I could care less about what crockpot or pressure cooker they're using. It's just a bunch of remedial banter back and forth of them trying to think they're funny and they're not. IMO that show has gone completely downhill.

I can't speak for anyone else but I enjoy listening to professional journalists talk about games, the industry, etc. And you nailed it with WC.

But as others have stated you need a panel.

Im a huge WC/1up yours fan, have been for many a year and unfortunately I havent had the time to listen to this yet so my thoughts will be a little sparse until I do. In regards to your point, addressing groups over solo efforts I agree on principle, I would much prefer people going back and forth with each other. It appears that getting a studio is out of the option (though ill reiterate if a kickstarter is made ill contribute for it) then the next best thing is Skype and having listened to DLC recently for the first time I am not sold on that idea, its full of pauses, broken dialogue, disconnects and perhaps the most displeasing, a lack of flow. The studio allowed people to get together and play off each other, often times we underestimate how dialogue is informed by what we see rather than what we hear, something which makes skype problematic, often people will talk over each other unintentionally because there is little information that the other person is going to speak.

Now, Garnett was always at his best when he surrounded himself with really really knowledgable people - Luke, John and Shane spring to mind. Not that Garnett is not knowledgable, but he's like the dude driving the boat and he needs a crew with depth, people with really deep game/industry knowledge - for me that's why Cannata, Rene and co. were not a great group for Garnett to work with.

And please do not try to emulate GiantBomb, those guys are terrible.

I don't even see why having a studio makes or breaks a podcast. Rebel FM has been recording out of their apartments, and Geekbox records in a comic book store. There is no need to sublet a facility when you dont have to. Use that $$ for something else.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I don't even see why having a studio makes or breaks a podcast. Rebel FM has been recording out of their apartments, and Geekbox records in a comic book store. There is no need to sublet a facility when you dont have to. Use that $$ for something else.

I agree, I think the key point is having people to bounce off who are with you

Blazyr

For better or worse this show takes a one-man format. I would never dream of calling a show with others on it "Garnett on Games."

I don't expect everyone to like anymore than everyone likes other shows. Am very interested to see whether it works.

As for a panel, Jeff and I plan to do something as well but beyond that the LA sprawl and lower number of media folks here makes a panel fairly unfeasible as well.

appaws

Banned
For better or worse this show takes a one-man format. I would never dream of calling a show with others on it "Garnett on Games."

I don't expect everyone to like anymore than everyone likes other shows. Am very interested to see whether it works.

As for a panel, Jeff and I plan to do something as well but beyond that the LA sprawl and lower number of media folks here makes a panel fairly unfeasible as well.

I think the one man thing will be tougher because you won't have anyone to play off of.

If I might make a suggestion to help deal with that. Go with really tight segments in a much shorter show, instead of marathons. Maybe a half-hour, 35 minutes. For example, do 10 minutes on whatever you are currently playing, and then 20 minutes on news stories, and then finish strong with an editorial or recommendation at the end.

Seriously man, don't put too much pressure on yourself. We love everything you do and appreciate it.

Top Bottom