• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Weekend Confirmed Ep. 77 | 09/09/2011 | +Andrea Rene and Jeff Mattas

angelfly

wc_topnews_new_17113.nphd.jpg

Weekend Confirmed returns to the studio after a fantastic live show at PAX 2011, and just in time to dig into the first of the big releases due out this fall. "Indie" Jeff Mattas and Andrea Rene join Jeff and Garnett and the show gets right down to business with Warhammer 40K: Space Marine. From there it's on to Resistance 3, but there's more to Whatcha Been Playin? as well, including the Gunstringer, Escape Plan, and Jeff's Indie picks. The right stick attachment for the 3DS sparks the news segment this week and it gets going from there into a spirited discussion of the way Modern Warfare has grown to represent video gaming in popular culture. Finishing moves just about warp things up but it's football season so be sure to stick around for the Tailgate if you're an NFL fan.
Direct Download

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Great start to the thread.

edit: oh, lemme add something of more substance.

*personal insult towards a member of the podcast for no reason*

Grisby

Fine settimana ha confermato!

Be cool to hear some thoughts on Resistance. I have no idea what escape plan is.

Linkified said:
Why no Xav, secret best regular on WC.

This.

Also, if there is now NHL 12 talk next week, heads will roll.

Best sports franchise on the market for 5 years running, nowhere near enough love.

The Antitype said:
ARGH!

So conflicted!

On one hand, talk of Space Marine.

On the other hand, Andrea Rene will take part in the talking.

I'm sure she is a nice person and it may just be due to alcohol, but it really is annoying to hear her just interupt any conversation she isn't interested in or blurting out her opinion without any reflection. She doesnt listen to others and responds. She just loudly announces her view and never looks back. And she constant makes statements like "who wants that," "I think it's stupid" and throws around unqualified words like "totally" and "completely" all the time.

Having a strong opinion is not the same thing as having an interesting one.

Yes, Garnett.

The sales battle between BF3 and CoD is a marketing issue. If only EA had better marketing, then BF3 would definitely outsell CoD. /sarcasm

I find Mattas a little flat. He's not offensive though. Maybe he's not on enough for me to really get a feel for his personality.

Mrbob

Space Marine is awesome. Shame THQ didn't really seem to have much confidence in the title hiding it from the press. Relic's artists are amazing. Have some 1080P shots I took via picture mode from Steam:

2qdvhmo.jpg

Nothing like taking out a bunch of Orks!

10ncqd4.jpg

Never get sick of a chainsword through the gut either!

15zfw3b.jpg

So much fun.

Aww I was hoping Spicer was going to be on for the R3 talk. Didn't he list it as his most hyped game and confuse everyone? I'm curious to see if it live up to his expectations or not

Linkified said:
Why no Xav, secret best regular on WC.

No secret about it. I'm a Xav fan for life, he won me over with his buying guides story.

Sneds

pje122 said:
Ugh... thought maybe this episode would redeem last week's... guess not...

How does that work exactly? If you didn't like the last few episodes then that's fine and feel free to say so. But to phrase it in such a way sounds so pompous and entitled.

Paches

Sneds said:
How does that work exactly? If you didn't like the last few episodes then that's fine and feel free to say so. But to phrase it in such a way sounds so pompous and entitled.

Do you know the definition of pompous or entitled?

Look forward to Space Marine talk, been on the fence.

DaBuddaDa

Pachterballs said:
garnett bringing up uncharted3 and comparing it to resistance 3 when they are completely different genres had me shaking my head.
AAA, massive marketing budgets, jizzed all over by western press, games where you're a guy who shoots things, look pretty, PS3 exclusives. Plenty of similarities........

Curufinwe

DaBuddaDa said:
AAA, massive marketing budgets, jizzed all over by western press, games where you're a guy who shoots things, look pretty, PS3 exclusives. Plenty of similarities........

Resistance's marketing budget and love from the Western press are both significantly less than what Uncharted gets.

Jeff didn't like the Satan boss? That was one of the more scary moments in the game. I guess if you didn't know what you where doing and got killed over and over you wouldn't find it fun.

Einchy said:
Is this song real? Is this real life?

If you are talking about that "White Boy Wasted" song, it is the kind of think Shawn Eliot used to parody in his Whiskey Nerd raps. It's pretty brutal.

Grisby

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Jeff didn't like the Satan boss? That was one of the more scary moments in the game. I guess if you didn't know what you where doing and got killed over and over you wouldn't find it fun.

That was the one hit kill dude in the
mine
level right? Yeah, he wasn't much fun but had a nice death animation.

AkuMifune

Banned
hey_it's_that_dog said:
Great start to the thread.

edit: oh, lemme add something of more substance.

*personal insult towards a member of the podcast for no reason*

There are many reasons. But here, I'll state it without having to be mean or sexist:

Aww crap, they brought in the guest that brings nothing to the table and can get super annoying just to pander to a select target audience again. That sucks.

meppi

Einchy said:
Is this song real? Is this real life?

I've hated most of the music breaks apart from a few, but this one was as bad as the worst ones I've heard.
Reminds me of the Madworld soundtrack crossed with Limp Bizkit. And not in a good way. URG.

Grisby said:
That was the one hit kill dude in the
mine
level right? Yeah, he wasn't much fun but had a nice death animation.

Yeah it was very scripted like the Leviathan fight from R2 but I enjoyed it. Probably because I didn't die. They even make a joke about how you fight it in the VO outtakes.

ChristianSpicer

Neo Member
HamPster PamPster said:
Aww I was hoping Spicer was going to be on for the R3 talk. Didn't he list it as his most hyped game and confuse everyone? I'm curious to see if it live up to his expectations or not

No secret about it. I'm a Xav fan for life, he won me over with his buying guides story.

So I am not too far into R3 yet but I like what I have played. I don't think it necessarily revolutionizes the genre but it does a lot right.

The level design or enemy-encounter areas I have gone through so far play well. I like the weapons and weapon feel. I also like the "gritty" feel to things even if it has kind of been overdone in games.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
AkuMifune said:
There are many reasons. But here, I'll state it without having to be mean or sexist:

Aww crap, they brought in the guest that brings nothing to the table and can get super annoying just to pander to a select target audience again. That sucks.

There are many reasons to personally insult a stranger, you say.

Anyway, I don't think she's super annoying and I don't know if they chose to bring her in to pander, but I guess I agree that she isn't as good a contributor as their other regular guests.

If there's anything about this podcast that I want to insult right now it's the music. There doesn't need to be a forced meme remix every goddamn week, because they aren't actually good every goddamn week. Pace yourself, guys. And Del Rio's vocals aren't very good. There, I said it.

Paches

They should stick to Garnett, Cannata, and Xav plus rotating in Spicer/Mattas/Not Andrea. That is the best setup IMO.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
There are many reasons to personally insult a stranger, you say.

Anyway, I don't think she's super annoying and I don't know if they chose to bring her in to pander, but I guess I agree that she isn't as good a contributor as their other regular guests.

If there's anything about this podcast that I want to insult right now it's the music. There doesn't need to be a forced meme remix every goddamn week, because they aren't actually good every goddamn week. Pace yourself, guys. And Del Rio's vocals aren't very good. There, I said it.

So why is it not okay to criticize Rene but it's cool to bash Del Rio?

Every time a WC starts and she gets introduced, I just let out a sigh of disappointment. I've tried to learn to like it, but I can't. I'm not even convinced she spends more than a few minutes a month playing games.

mik

mik is unbeatable
Neuromancer said:
We need to come up with a nickname for Christian. I was thinking maybe:

THE SPICE MAN

THE SPICE RACK

or SUGAR AND SPICE

The Cumin-ator? ...

Paches

So I usually just skip past the Del Rio song because it is so awful, but people were complaining extra this week so I decided to listen...

What a complete embarrassment that was. Horrible, throw away lyrics and the beat was annoying. I physically cringed when I was listening to it. What a travesty of music.

Nizz

Have this downloaded to listen to while I mow the grass. If I even do it. It's hot as hell outside.

Top Bottom