• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece is the 3rd highest selling comic of all time

I noticed a thread about this on reddit (which links to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=151&v=2ZqnC-eVwrE) and this is, to me, a mind boggling fact. Not cause it doesn't deserve or anything (i really enjoy One Piece) but because it only exists since 97 while Superman exists since 38 (600 million) and Batman 39 (460 million). Two of the most popular characters of all time which have a 60 year head start.

Checking some sources it does seem right as One Piece is mostly listed as having sold 400 something million volumes. Which brings me to the next question, this doesn't seem to account shonen jump sales,right? That would make the number even more staggering.

When will it dethrone Superman? 15 years?

Superman - 600M
Batman- 460M
One Piece - 400M
Spiderman - 360M
Asterix- 350M

turmoil

Banned
Mindblowing that a manga so young is competing against Batman and Superman.

After the next marinefort surely it will overcome them.

God Enel

Totally deserves it imho.

517624962c76e2865012ba5a2c42c0512d68fdd0_hq.gif

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
One Piece is basically Harry Potter levels of popular in Japan, maybe more. It makes sense if you look at it that way.

Raxus

It should be noted One Piece is currently in a slump but still selling like hotcakes. I dunno if it will surpass Superman before the series ends but it is still amazing it reached such heights.

turmoil

Banned
Another interesting fact is that with the digital media future, One Piece most likely will be the all-time best seller physical comic book.

L Thammy

Ugh. I guess I need to try it again. I got to the arc with Sanji's introduction and it felt like a slog. Backstory was cool though.

I can't watch the video but I wonder how accurate those figures are for the american characters. Like, do Justice League comics count for Batman and Superman? I also wonder where Tintin would rank.

Randam

It is still going?
What volume is the last?
It have them up to 40-something and I already stopped years ago.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Never got around to reading this one, I used to read all the comics (hehe) in Shonen Jump way back when but I'd always skip it. Now and then I want to get into it but then I see that there are now 800 chapters, so, yeah...

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It should be noted One Piece is currently in a slump but still selling like hotcakes. I dunno if it will surpass Superman before the series ends but it is still amazing it reached such heights.

Is that slump compared to Marineford or previous arcs? I ask because Marineford was a climax point whose plot details made the nightly news casts in Japan. Those sales and levels of hype will only be reached again when the series enters it's final climax.

arguments aside, it's the best piece of fiction I've ever read.

come at me.

tenor.gif

Have you ever considered picking up an actual book that doesn't come with pictures?

Like I spend enough time in the one piece and Dragonball threads that shouldn't go throwing stones in glass house, etc, but come on.

Majukun

and also,remember that it's made by just one man,contrary to most of the other comics on the list that are a collective effort

One Piece is actually at 416 million sales:

350 just in Japan

66 Million outside of Japan

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/dai...-350-million-copies-in-print-in-japan/.114254

It would be interesting to know if it has been gaining traction outside of Japan lately, but the 66 million is already pretty respectable.

Never got around to reading this one, I used to read all the comics (hehe) in Shonen Jump way back when but I'd always skip it. Now and then I want to get into it but then I see that there are now 800 chapters, so, yeah...

Reading/watching One Piece is an adventure itself. Very worthy though.

and also,remember that it's made by just one man,contrary to most of the other comics on the list that are a collective effort

It's crazy.

Big One

Banned
Is that slump compared to Marineford or previous arcs? I ask because Marineford was a climax point whose plot details made the nightly news casts in Japan. Those sales and levels of hype will only be reached again when the series enters it's final climax.
Yeah according to Oda the final arc gonna make Marineford look like a side story. Shits going to be crazy.

Kyne

Ugh. I guess I need to try it again. I got to the arc with Sanji's introduction and it felt like a slog. Backstory was cool though.

Get to Water 7/Enies Lobby and then tell me it's not the best comic you've ever read.

I wish I was you. You're able to experience all this for the first time.

giphy.gif

aBarreras

everyone says that until they start reading/watching it lol then they cant stop

Galang

Banned
I always laugh when people say the quality of One Piece has declined. The series has been consistently good since forever. Dressrosa and Cake Island are just as good as Water 7 and Marineford if not better. It's well-deserved for One Piece to reach this achievement. The fact that it's still so well-written after all this times is tear-worthy. Luffy is the king we need. I'm upset the anime isn't better

Top Bottom