• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece is the 3rd highest selling comic of all time

VDenter

Banned
One Piece is incredible. If somebody is interested in giving it a shot i recommend the manga over the anime because it is just paced allot better. Even if the anime has some advantages like the awesome music.

aBarreras

Murder? Not for a prominent character, that's for sure. As for the friendship thing, well imo, One Piece is basically the cool, acceptable version of what Fairy Tail does. It does the whole friendship quite often, but it's never felt overly cheesy to me. But obviously that's subjective, so whatever.

i recently watched that fairy tale movie, dragon cry, i stopped reading fairy tail back in the tournament they had. but god damn the movie kinda soured me on fairy tale, apparently natsu whole deal is "their friends" he does everything for his friends and his friends only.

at least Luffy has an objective and he knows how to differentiate his goal with his nakamas and when he needs his friends to achieve his goal and stuff.

Luffy is such a great character god damn

Raonak

Banned
On track to being the greatest story ever told.

One of the biggest hooks of OP is how interconnected everything is, when we're on a main arc, luffy and co. fighting some strong enemy, there's always stuff going on elsewhere in the world, it's like chess pieces moving in the background.

It's like he's had the entire story planned in his head all this time, nothing ever really feels retconny or anything. Which is amazing for something that's on it's 20th(?) year.

I watched a couple episodes and wasn't impressed. What makes it so beloved? I'm not being snarky I'm actually curious.

Very good characters, sense of adventure where the crew is going island to island not knowing what they'll run into next. Worldbuilding, foreshadowing, strong sense of mystery, great enemies, great fights.
Enemies & places that are established in the series from early on, then having the payoff of meeting/beating the enemies/place hundreds of chapters later.

Like imagine in the name "Frieza" was mentioned at the start of the original Dragon Ball. and built up as a super powerful enemy way before the Frieza arc actually started. OP does that constantly, which makes it feel like an actual living world.

Murder? Not for a prominent character, that's for sure. As for the friendship thing, well imo, One Piece is basically the cool, acceptable version of what Fairy Tail does. It does the whole friendship quite often, but it's never felt overly cheesy to me. But obviously that's subjective, so whatever.
The friendship thing feels earned in One Piece over FT that's basically the big difference.

Plus the fights and powers are far more imaginative and cool, FTs fights are just punching contests.

Wtf does this even mean?

Are you saying that comics can't be the best works of fiction because they have pictures and aren't novels???

That's really dumb.

I'm reading Don Quixote now , and yes, I do think comics are at least a league below top quality books. They have to waste a lot of time and effort on art instead of solely the plot, after all.

Certainly if this threads premise is right and One Piece is the best comic, I am absolutely sure I am correct, yes.

orioto

Good Art™
Shit i started watching the kais and i kinda dropped the ball after the little deer arrived. Not that it was not good i like it but i just didn't take time to watch the rest.

I should really start again.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Imagine if 4Kids hadn't crucified it.

I consider it the best longform story every told. Yes there are better books, TV series, and so on, but none that have been a continuously excellent (almost) weekly story for 20 years.

HeatBoost

Fullmetal Alchemist is my favorite adventure comic, and Berserk is probably my favorite manga in general, but One Piece is in a class of it's own. It's the phenom. The show stopper.

...Shame about the anime. Also how it's reception in the US was handicapped by that terrible dub. Maybe in 2025 when the manga has finished and the Toei version ends we can get "ONE PIECE: GOLD EDITION" by Madhouse or Mappa or something.

I'm reading Don Quixote now , and yes, I do think comics are at least a league below top quality books. They have to waste a lot of time and effort on art instead of solely the plot, after all.

Certainly if this threads premise is right and One Piece is the best comic, I am absolutely sure I am correct, yes.

"Music sucks compared to books because they're fucking around with instruments instead of delving into the rich internal life of whoever the hell this singer is supposed to be"

aBarreras

can you get off of your rosinante please?

LotusHD

Banned
i recently watched that fairy tale movie, dragon cry, i stopped reading fairy tail back in the tournament they had. but god damn the movie kinda soured me on fairy tale, apparently natsu whole deal is "their friends" he does everything for his friends and his friends only.

at least Luffy has an objective and he knows how to differentiate his goal with his nakamas and when he needs his friends to achieve his goal and stuff.

Yup, he's the best idiot I've ever known.

On track to being the greatest story ever told.

One of the biggest hooks of OP is how interconnected everything is, and how good a job oda does at planning everything ahead of time.

It's like he's had the entire story planned in his head all this time, nothing ever really feels retconny or anything. Which is amazing for something that's on it's 20th(?) year.

I love how the interconnectedness even seemingly applies to the Chapter numbers. Like the Gear 4 and Gear 2 reveals for example. Dude remembers everything lmao

Art is part of the plot, the imagery is used to convey the narrative. It's as important as the dialogue.

There is no functional difference between describing an action or inference and seeing it on an image. Illustrated medium is not inherently lesser simply because it's drawn.

Pennywise

Get to Water 7/Enies Lobby and then tell me it's not the best comic you've ever read.

I wish I was you. You're able to experience all this for the first time.
It's not. Not even close to the real good Seinen stuff. (Let's praise our overlord Urasawa)

However it's a fucking amazing shounen manga.
There's nothing comparable and Oda is steadily holding up the quality, despite the growth in characters and the world itself.
One Piece is like a quality opera piece compared to stuff like Naruto and the likes.
Oda deserves all the praise and hopefully he'll get a nice long vacation once he finished the series.

I'm finally getting into it. They're currently fighting some baddies after meeting Usopp. I like the comedy more than the fighting though.

RedBoot

This and Hajime no Ippo are the two manga I bother keeping up with

I'm guessing they are also the two longest running besides Berserk

There's also Detective Conan, which has stretched its core plot out to ludicrous lengths at this point.

Kochikame had been running for a long time, but it recently ended. Sadly I doubt it will ever be fully translated.

LotusHD

Banned
This is our chance to grab ppl to the manga thread where the gifs at y'all slipping

There's a irony to be said about us using the anime (that some of us are ridiculing) to get people into the manga lol

The friendship thing feels earned in One Piece over FT that's basically the big difference.

Plus the fights and powers are far more imaginative and cool, FTs fights are just punching contests.

Exactly this. When Luffy says he's gonna help you out, you know the friendship is real.

Qf6MCF.gif

i can open youtube at work, but i hope thats the tenryubitoo punch scene

hwufha.gif

---

I dunno, like I've certainly seen more clever writing in other manga. (Not that One Piece can't be slick with it as well.) But OP just always has the leg up for me due to how amazing the worldbuilding is, how characters seemingly never get forgotten, how it is consistently funny even when you see many of the same gags over and over again, how creative Oda gets with the powers and settings. It makes up for it.

Toad.T

Banned
Does Asterix still have new stories made? All the rest are on going, so I assume so, but i've not heard much talk about the new stories.

Sad that OP is still just niche level in US. It's even more so in Canada where I think the last episode we had broadcast on a regional station was the beginning of Chopper's intro? Nowhere near the notirity that Bleach/Naruto had.

aBarreras

There's a irony to be said about us using the anime (that some of us are ridiculing) to get people into the manga lol

Exactly this. When Luffy says he's gonna help you out, you know the friendship is real.

Qf6MCF.gif

hwufha.gif

fucking goosebumps maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

Ninjimbo

Best story of all time. If I ever travelled into the future, one of first things I would want to find out is how One Piece ended.

I always get a little disheartened by MarineFord babies: always complaining about dumb shit and not enjoying the full ride, but whatever. Not everything can be perfect.

Majukun

the main difference is that natsu is powerful through firendship,basically the idea of his friends fuels him up

luffy wants to become powerful BECAUSE of friendship, he doesn't want to lose anyone of his "nakama" and thus he trained like a madman and continues to do so..also because ,as he admits, the only thing he knows how to do is beating people up,and if he doesn't manage to do that,he losts his role on the ship.

basically friendship in fairy tail is a cause, in onepiece is an objective

One day I'll actually finish reading Dragonball and I'll get around to trying out One Piece and Naruto. One day.

Does Asterix still have new stories made? All the rest are on going, so I assume so, but i've not heard much talk about the new stories.

Yes, sadly. But it's all been trash since Goscinny died. They still sell millions though.

Osukaa

lol One Piece has had some Crazy Weird Powers the ones I can remember off hand are

The Door Door Fruit
The Human Human Fruit
The Wax Wax Fruit
The Chop Chop Fruit (Impel Down Buggy and you know who were Comedy gold)
The Chain Chain Fruit
The String String Fruit
The Elephant Fruit (which was eaten by a sword??? LOL Funkfreed)

SO much more to list but gotta get back to work lol.

I haven't been as on board with the post- Dressrosa story as i'd like to be, but One Piece still reigns as my favorite manga.

My top five characters would be:
-Luffy
-Nami
-Bellamy
-Coby
-Gin

Oda's theme/character work and the story's heart is what pulls me in.

Majukun

Imagine if 4Kids hadn't crucified it.

I consider it the best longform story every told. Yes there are better books, TV series, and so on, but none that have been a continuously excellent (almost) weekly story for 20 years.

eh,it still wouldn't have that much of a success. i think..the average americans look for something less goofy and more flashy,like naruto or bleach

Lucumo

This and Hajime no Ippo are the two manga I bother keeping up with

I'm guessing they are also the two longest running besides Berserk
Nope, not at all.

It's not. Not even close to the real good Seinen stuff. (Let's praise our overlord Urasawa)

However it's a fucking amazing shounen manga.
There's nothing comparable and Oda is steadily holding up the quality, despite the growth in characters and the world itself.
One Piece is like a quality opera piece compared to stuff like Naruto and the likes.
Oda deserves all the praise and hopefully he'll get a nice long vacation once he finished the series.
Gonna watch Yawara! next (just finished a series today). Also read yesterday that Pluto is getting an anime adaptation.

Also, perfect thread to post the link to a One Piece MMV which I like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtAnLlPGjbk

aBarreras

the main difference is that natsu is powerful through firendship,basically the idea of his friends fuels him up

luffy wants to become powerful BECAUSE of friendship, he doesn't want to lose anyone of his "nakama" and thus he trained like a madman and continues to do so..also because ,as he admits, the only thing he knows how to do is beating people up,and if he doesn't manage to do that,he losts his role on the ship.

thats luffy now, but pre time skip,he wasnt like that much, what happened at marineford shattered him literally.

the character development on luffy is kinda great

LotusHD

Banned

This sums it up well. Also the friendship BS in Fairy Tail is just frighteningly bad and nonsensical. Even One Piece knows that there are friendships when nakama power just ain't enough.... :(

lol One Piece has had some Crazy Weird Powers the ones I can remember off hand are

The Door Door Fruit
The Human Human Fruit
The Wax Wax Fruit
The Chain Chain Fruit
The String String Fruit

Devil Fruits. Nen. Stands.

The trifecta of "Getting to come up with whatever the fuck you want"

Oda and his world building is legit next level. He had the basic concept for Haki at chapter FOUR.

Dude has arcs planned out legit years in advance. All his editors gush over how amazing he is to work with.

Wamb0wneD

I think the problem with people being new to one piece and getting turned off Buggy and the sort is that One Piece really wasn't GOAT material when it started. every villain up to Arlong i think was just about getting pirate king and the art isn't for everyone. Though Sanji's and Nami's backstory already were really really good.

Everything has so much improved over time though. The art, the storytelling, the worldbuilding. Heck, i still wonder what was it that lurked in the shadows when Lola and her crew said good bye to the strawhats. And that was years ago. the thing is Goda will probably deliver at some point on even that.

After everything is said and done it's the best manga ever made for sure. I can't even begin to list all my favourite moments.

This is our chance to grab ppl to the manga thread where the gifs at y'all slipping

I suck with gifs. :/ God the manga is so much better than the anime it's not even funny.

The Door Door Fruit
The Human Human Fruit
The Wax Wax Fruit
The Chain Chain Fruit
The String String Fruit

"SLOOOW BEEEEAAAAAAMMMMM!"

Also I really wanna see Vegapunk at some point. Gotta be soon.
And Mr. 2 aint dead. I don't wanna believe it :(

The Door Door Fruit
The Human Human Fruit
The Wax Wax Fruit
The Chain Chain Fruit
The String String Fruit

One Piece is basically the X-Men but with goofy pirates.

I watched a couple episodes and wasn't impressed. What makes it so beloved? I'm not being snarky I'm actually curious.

It's a very sincere show. Just imagine a big adventure, filled with a set of characters that become very attached to each other all operating in an extremely creative setting. That's basically One Piece.

RedBoot

Back when I was first getting into OP I had a friend explain Lasso the Dog to me.

It's a gun that somehow ate the Dog Fruit, so now it's a gun dog, and it shoots baseballs out of its nose.

(I love that we still don't have the full answer on how that works. Vegapunk!)

Majukun

thats luffy now, but pre time skip,he wasnt like that much, what happened at marineford shattered him literally.

the character development on luffy is kinda great

well with the goa flashback we learn that he basically always had the terror of being alone,since he was a child

also the thing was there way before the timeskip, gear 2 exist because he got beaten up by aokiji and understood that if he didn't improve he would have lost everyone.

Top Bottom