• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |SepOct17| 1 + 1 = YEAH!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I can't help but appreciate Outlaw Star's style more now considering it was near the end of non-digital drawings & getting a sense they really put some effort into it making it look good.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Y'know, I feel super nostalgic for Outlaw Star and Gundam Wing even though I never actually sat down to watch them both until 2010-ish.

Hmm...

Outlaw Star screams 90's style anime in nearly every facet so if you're nostalgic for that style of anime it makes sense.

Outlaw Star screams 90's style anime in nearly every facet so if you're nostalgic for that style of anime it makes sense.

I remember actively changing the channel when Outlaw Star came on originally because I thought it looked too "pointy" and serious (9-year old logic). Now I feel like kicking 9-year old me's ass.
Though much of my backlog currently is old 4:3 cel-shaded stuff I never got around to, so being a sucker for that definately has something to do with it.

I started watching Gundam with G, but I do remember seeing a rerun of Endless Waltz towards the end of G Gundam's run and thinking "Why are they operating these like planes?"

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
One of the most of old school anime things about Outlaw Star is the way the hair is drawn with bangs look like bananas and big braided pony tails.

I remember actively changing the channel when Outlaw Star came on originally because I thought it looked too "pointy" and serious (9-year old logic). Now I feel like kicking 9-year old me's ass.
Though much of my backlog currently is old 4:3 cel-shaded stuff I never got around to, so being a sucker for that definately has something to do with it.

I started watching Gundam with G, but I do remember seeing a rerun of Endless Waltz towards the end of G Gundam's run and thinking "Why are they operating these like planes?"
Because they didn't want to orgasm before being able to pilot the thing.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
"no new news"

*closes stream*

Then again, Dragon Con isn't exactly the place I'd expect them to drop some new info.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Okay, that was interesting, Demarco insinuating that things may happening with Toonami steaming with AT&T coming in.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
What exactly would this even entail?

The question was if Toonami would have a more conventional streaming service since what they do now is marathons on the Adult Swim live stream and then Duke Togo out of the blue mentioned that things may be happening with AT&T coming in if Toonami is around in a year or two.

Seda

Put Yu Yu on the back half.

(I think they said before it would be too expensive and theyd rather that many go to new stuff)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Put Yu Yu on the back half.

(I think they said before it would be too expensive and theyd rather that many go to new stuff)
Being 112 episodes, it's probably too long, hence why it'd be a bit expensive.

I'd say "maybe air a movie as a daylight savings goodie", but Poltergeist Report isn't licensed by Funimation & has a completely different dub. The voice of Yusuke is voiced by the same guy who was the main character from the infamous Garzey's Wing should be an indicator of the quality of the dub.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Holy crap, Steven Blum got freakin' DEATH THREATENED by fans for dubbing The Guyver (one of his first dubs) & was told that "he was ruining the art form of anime" at his very first convention, amazing to think one of the most famous VAs had to deal with that kind of crap back in the day.

I don't really want to relive the cosmic nightmare that is Relina Peacecraft.
lol Peacecraft?

Did they have a villain named Warcraft?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'll eat my hat if TOONAMI folds before at least starting to air Gundam Wing HD, and I've been saying that ever since they got back into the Gundam game.

Gundam Wing has a lot of problems but fortunately being boring is not one of them. You can feed for days if it keeps the same dub because it is an even bigger case of we only had a budget for the main characters and everyone else in an intern than Lupin Part 4. Some of the minor characters are SO BAD. SO SO BAD. Like that little girl only with important speaking roles.

The villains of Gundam Wing, roughly in order, spoiled for the youths of the thread.

Treize Khushrenada, a man who believes in the nobility of war and proves it, by means of war.
Duke Dermail, a man who believes in maintaining the status quo of nobility by means of war.
Quinze, a revolutionary who believes in overturning the status quo of humanity being ruled from earth by means of war.
Milliardo Peacecraft, a man who believes in lying to everyone so he can achieve ultimate peace by means of war.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Holy crap, Steven Blum got freakin' DEATH THREATENED by fans for dubbing The Guyver (one of his first dubs) & was told that "he was ruining the art form of anime" at his very first convention, amazing to think one of the most famous VAs had to deal with that kind of crap back in the day.

lol Peacecraft?

Did they have a villain named Warcraft?

Whoops, my mistake on the name, that is actually an important point in the series.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I'll eat my hat if TOONAMI folds before at least starting to air Gundam Wing HD, and I've been saying that ever since they got back into the Gundam game.

Gundam Wing has a lot of problems but fortunately being boring is not one of them. You can feed for days if it keeps the same dub because it is an even bigger case of we only had a budget for the main characters and everyone else in an intern than Lupin Part 4. Some of the minor characters are SO BAD. SO SO BAD. Like that little girl only with important speaking roles.

We do need some proper hatewatch material now that Tokyo Ghoul got dreadfully boring.

Ray Down

Banned
I don't really want to relive the cosmic nightmare that is Relina Darlian.

da25284d942a21a07bc7b42fe3be35c31492260219_full.png

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Wing is the series where the girl is like "omg plz come to my b-day party main character" & then the main guy rips her invitation to then say "sure, i'll be there to kill you" & dramatically walks away?

Seda

The villains of Gundam Wing, roughly in order, spoiled for the youths of the thread.

Treize Khushrenada, a man who believes in the nobility of war and proves it, by means of war.
Duke Dermail, a man who believes in maintaining the status quo of nobility by means of war.
Quinze, a revolutionary who believes in overturning the status quo of humanity being ruled from earth by means of war.
Milliardo Peacecraft, a man who believes in lying to everyone so he can achieve ultimate peace by means of war.

you forgot wu fei

Man God

Non-Canon Member
We do need some proper hatewatch material now that Tokyo Ghoul got dreadfully boring.

Gundam Wing is ultimately a flawed but still good show. Some character's motivations will bug people even more than it did back over 15 years ago because they seem even sillier now.

Gundam is always filled with people who act before thinking and whose thoughts aren't very good to begin with. If Wing somehow airs directly back to back with IBO Season 2 it will give people a lot of rope to hang the main character of Wing with. I rewatched the whole thing when it hit Hulu earlier this year and found it holds up pretty well, though I did wish it was in HD. Being consistently entertaining helps keep it a notch above a lot of other shows that have been considered drags on the block.

Another slight problem with the HD version is that it isn't quite as gorgeously remastered as G Gundam was, but it still looks really good (a bit better than Outlaw Star is where I'd peg it.)

Top Bottom