• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

Tom_Cody

Clip of the stoppage:

https://streamable.com/prx2x

--

zKWZC8t.jpg

Floyd Mayweather

Q4l57KO.jpg

Conor McGregor

Cbfwoi9.jpg

Fight Overview
Mayweather-McGregor Boxing Match Draws Hype, and a Clear Favorite
By Victor Mather for the New York Times

Generally, the most exciting question about a much-anticipated sporting event is the basic one: Who is going to win?

But the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Conor McGregor boxing match on Aug. 26 is attracting a huge amount of attention despite a rather awkward fact: Everyone thinks that Mayweather is going to win. Mayweather is a boxing legend, undefeated, with wins over greats like Oscar De La Hoya, Juan Manuel Márquez, Saúl Álvarez, known as Canelo, Manny Pacquiao and virtually every top boxer near his weight in the last 15 years. Yes, he is 40 and hasn't fought in almost two years, but many of his biggest wins came in his late 30s, often in dominating performances. For his part, McGregor is the first man to hold two Ultimate Fighting Championship belts simultaneously. He is also brash, charismatic and hugely entertaining, with a devoted following. But here's the thing: He isn't a boxer. Though he boxed some as a teenager in the amateur ranks, he has made his professional career in mixed martial arts, a very different animal, where standing up and punching has value, but where wrestling, kickboxing and martial arts skills are also crucial.

Could McGregor actually step into the ring with a boxing great and come away with a victory? Let's start with the odds. Depending on which bookmaker you frequent, if you like McGregor to win, you can get anywhere from 6-1 to 10-1 on the proposition right now. It's hard to find a pundit or expert who would take that price.

”No amount of salesmanship, misdirection or promotional razzle-dazzle can alter the obvious: McGregor's chances under the unified rules of boxing that will govern the 26 August meeting are so infinitesimal they're hardly worth discussing." - The Guardian.
”It might as well be a 1,000,000-1. McGregor has virtually no chance to win." - The Ring Magazine
”U.F.C. lightweight champion Conor McGregor is not going to beat Floyd Mayweather Jr. in a pure boxing match. There is no chance, not even the much discussed puncher's variety." - Bleacher Report

Surely there must be somebody, somewhere who picks McGregor to win? Oh, there is one. According to the U.F.C. president, Dana White, this particular prognosticator is ”100 percent confident" that McGregor will win by a knockout.

That forecaster? Conor McGregor.

Where/When

The T-Mobile Arena in Paradise, Nevada on August 26, 2017, live on PPV at 9pm EST.

The official pre-fight show will begin at 6pm and the prelims will begin at 7pm, both will be free on FOX, FS1, FS2 and FOX Deportes.

Complete international TV listings [link]

Estimated Ring Walk times (EST):

9:05pm - Andrew Tabiti vs Steve Cunningham
9:35pm - Nathan Cleverly vs Badou Jack
10:20pm - Gervonta Davis vs Francisco Fonseca
10:55pm - Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor

t1503795600z1.png

Undercard - 9pm EST

Gervonta Davis vs Francisco Fonseca

Nathan Cleverly vs Badou Jack

Andrew Tabiti vs Steve Cunningham

(More info to come)

Prelims - 7pm EST on FOX, FS1, FS2 and FOX Deportes

Yordenis Ugas vs Thomas Dulorme

Juan Heraldez vs Jose Miguel Borrego

GIFS

DecisiveEarnestBighornsheep.gif

LiquidReasonableBlobfish.gif

UnsightlyGrandioseGalapagosmockingbird.gif

PepperyNegligibleDesertpupfish.gif

BelatedDisloyalEagle.gif

Hype Videos

Mayweather vs McGregor | GP Promo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et605fz3NhA

Mayweather vs. McGregor - '180 Million Dollar Dance' Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO6cIlxMhco

Mayweather vs. McGregor Promo - Undefeated
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-rn_q4lygw

Mayweather vs McGregor - 'Billion Dollar Fight' Promo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP1g0UHNrd4

Hype levels rising.

Looking forward to seeing Floyd one last time. Expecting a really solid performance from him, cementing his legacy.

That said, I can't think of an outcome that I wouldn't be happy with.

HYPE!

hoos30

They should take bets on how many fools buy the PPV for this shitshow. That's the only competitive angle for this mess.

Montresor

Those gifs make McGregor look like a scumbag. Referee in two different gifs runs in to push McGregor off his opponent (when it looks like McGregor is trying to hurt an unconscious/dazed opponent).

This is me saying this as not even a casual fan and with zero context. So maybe that`s normal in MMA and should not reflect poorly on McGregor.

McGregor hopefully will prove to people that he is something special at least.

MMA fans know it, hopefully the rest of the world see it in some way

rugioh

Banned
I'm very curious to see how Conor's team fabricates a gameplan for this. Will he really be using his unorothodox stance switching movement memes for the entire fight, or does he think he can straight up box and get by on that? Will he try to use his UFC Karate stances in some fashion?

Those gifs make McGregor look like a scumbag. Referee in two different gifs runs in to push McGregor off his opponent (when it looks like McGregor is trying to hurt an unconscious/dazed opponent).

This is me saying this as not even a casual fan and with zero context. So maybe that`s normal in MMA and should not reflect poorly on McGregor.

You don't stop fighting until the Ref calls the fight.

McGregor did the right thing.

Dragner

Thats normal, in MMA falling in the ground means nothing, they can still strangle you, or punch you until the refereee marks the opponent unable to recover. Usually they stop it before it goes too far. But if the opponent tries to cover they let it go until he surrenders.

Dr.Acula

Banned

Not sure if you're kidding, but yes, in MMA, when knocked down you can continue to defend while on the ground (many fighters even turn being knocked-down into a win with their grappling). The ref stops the fight if they determine a fighter is "unable to intelligently defend themselves."

There are no stoppages for knock downs. You don't even scroe a point, really, but it can help in MMA's 10-point-must system. I've seen fighters get knocked down and win the round.

AllGamer

3am on Sunday for me but I don't care. A couple of friends are coming over and we are going to watch McGregor's ass getting kicked with some beers and snacks.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
will Connor last longer than CM Punk did?

Skyr

HYYYYYYYYYYYYYPE

Will be great entertainment either way.

And the best thing is that you can basically watch it for free here in germany.

weekev

Banned
Ithe question isn't if Mayweather will win but how he will win. He's not exactly a knock out artist but will obviously outbox McGregor. I reckon it will go the distance but Mayweather wins easily.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Eh, I could see Mayweather playing it safe and going to decision.

Conor isn't known for his cardio, I feel like somwhere in that 4-8 round area, middle of the fight, Conor's cardio fails on him and Mayweather just picks him apart until he collapses.

Conor isn't known for his cardio, I feel like somwhere in that 4-8 round area, middle of the fight, Conor's cardio fails on him and Mayweather just picks him apart until he collapses.

I see it where Floyd is hitting him with too many unanswered punches and the ref either stops the fight or Conor's corner thrown in the towel. Maybe even Conor quits on his stool in between rounds a beaten man.

Busty

Banned
Anecdotally, I don't know anyone (McGregor or UFC fans alike) who are remotely interested in this fight never mind going as far as to actually order it on PPV.

I don't think is going to be anything like the sporting event (outside North America at least) that some people think it will.

i don't think you can compare MMA cardio to boxing cardio. MMA is so much more exhausting.

Yeoman

Really? How do you know which is more exhausting?

Full boxing matches last 11 more minutes longer than full MMA matches.
There's just a lot more going on in MMA fights. You need to deal with kicks, elbows, and various other strikes. On top of that you don't have the option of clinching to catch your breath.
There's also the fact that fighters have to account for blocking/performing takedowns and also grappling which often entails being in a position of poor leverage fighting against your own weight and that of your opponent to who is trying to manipulate your limbs.

There's just a lot more going on in MMA fights. You need to deal with kicks, elbows, and various other strikes. On top of that you don't have the option of clinching to catch your breath.
There's also the fact that fighters have to account for blocking/performing takedowns and also grappling which often entails being in a position of poor leverage fighting against your own weight and that of your opponent to who is trying to manipulate your limbs.

OK, but there's no way to quantify exhaustion from that though. Plus punching in the MMA isn't an apples to apples comparison to Boxing when punches is the only form of offense. The strategy, footwork, defense and output of only just punches could very well equal all the various forms of striking, take downs, defending, and submission in MMA.

You're assuming that because MMA has more quantity of ways to fight your opponent, it is therefore more exhaustive while Boxing is more limited in the ways to fight your opponent but makes up for it in the quantity of that limitation being utilized.

Does that make sense?

Yeoman

OK, but there's no way to quantify exhaustion from that though. Plus punching in the MMA isn't an apples to apples comparison to Boxing when punches is the only form of offense. The strategy, footwork, defense and output of only just punches could very equal all the various forms of striking, take downs, defending, and submission in MMA.

You're assuming that because MMA has more quantity of ways to fight your opponent, it is therefore more exhaustive while Boxing is more limited in the ways to fight your opponent but makes up for it in the quantity of that limitation being utilized.

Does that make sense?
But I think some of the techniques that need to be used in MMA inherently require more energy. Kicking someone with a wheel kick is going to require a lot of energy. So will picking someone up and slamming them (as well as defending such an attack).
Likewise there's the whole grappling dynamic which again requires a lot of energy - in fact I've heard that's the most exhausting aspect.
A good MMA fighter has to train for all of those things.

But I think some of the techniques that need to be used in MMA inherently require more energy. Kicking someone with a wheel kick is going to require a lot of energy. So will picking someone up and slamming them (as well as defending such an attack).
Likewise there's the whole grappling dynamic which again requires a lot of energy - in fact I've heard that's the most exhausting aspect.
A good MMA fighter has to train for all of those things.

Yes, but boxing your opponent, circling around him, concentrating and defending him, and throwing lots of punches and taking them to the body and head could equal all of that. They have to maintain their stamina for 12 rounds. There are plenty of boxers who have trouble doing that for the full 12.

I don't see how MMA stamina is going to translate to Boxing stamina, because you think MMA is more exhaustive, Conor somehow isn't going to get tired in Boxing.

They're two different sports and I wouldn't be surprised if Conor is tired by the 4th Round.

Top Bottom