• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

Yeoman

Yes, but boxing your opponent, circling around him, concentrating and defending him, and throwing lots of punches and taking them to the body and head could equal all of that. They have to maintain their stamina for 12 rounds. There are plenty of boxers who have trouble doing that for the full 12.

I don't see how MMA stamina is going to translate to Boxing stamina, because you think MMA is more exhaustive, Conor somehow isn't going to get tired in Boxing.

They're two different sports and I wouldn't be surprised if Conor is tired by the 4th Round.
Well I didn't say he wouldn't get tired. I'm sure he will, I just think MMA is a more intense sport in general and the people claiming Conor will be exhausted by the middle of the fight might be surprised.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
He's going to get 10x more embarrassed than CM Punk in his UFC debut. He'll make alot of money off of alot of idiots, though.

Well I didn't say he wouldn't get tired. I'm sure he will, I just think MMA is a more intense sport in general and the people claiming Conor will be exhausted by the middle of the fight might be surprised.

Ok, and that's where I disagree, I think they're both intense in some similar and different ways. LOL Not to mention within the same sport, some matches are more intense than others in MMA and in Boxing.

They're just different sports.

blackflag

As an ex-boxer, fan of the sport, and UFC fan, I tried to care about this fight. I really tried but I can't. It's just dumb and the most obvious outcome ever.

Haunted

That arena is going to go fucking nuts whenever Conor's fist will come even close to touching Mayweather.

Dr.Acula

Banned
i don't think you can compare MMA cardio to boxing cardio. MMA is so much more exhausting.

I'm not comparing Conor in MMA to Conor in boxing, I'm comparing Conor in MMA to other MMA fighters. All his fights he slows down noticably between rounds, he's only gone past the 2nd twice in his career.

My outlook of the fight is Floyd gets a TKO from just volume of punches somewhere around Rd 8

I also think Rds 1-3 will be a lot more interesting than many are giving credit

I wont be happy unless this happens
51b8d7a0-6119-4b3a-b4dc-71e206234416.gif

Judging by your post you will be one of them, although for a different reason.

Anth0ny

Lets just get this out of the way

FLOYD WINS

Conor fans: FOOK FLOYD MAYWEATHA IN A REAL FIGHT HE'D BE DEAD IN TREE SECONDS

Floyd fans: lol what a joke, was obvious conor didn't stand a chance.

CONOR WINS

Conor fans: FOOK YEAH FOOK FLOYD MAYWEATHA

Floyd fans: lol what a joke, dude's 40 and has been retired for 2 years. was obvious he was going to lose and just here for the pay day.

Mayweather will kick McGregor's ass, easy. McGregor has nothing to do in boxing.

The fight should be entertaining though and that's all there is to it. It's gonna be huge for both the people watching and the people involved because they're gonna make a hell lot of money !

JB1981

Those gifs make McGregor look like a scumbag. Referee in two different gifs runs in to push McGregor off his opponent (when it looks like McGregor is trying to hurt an unconscious/dazed opponent).

This is me saying this as not even a casual fan and with zero context. So maybe that`s normal in MMA and should not reflect poorly on McGregor.

Wtf is this shit? Do you even watch MMA?

Camwi

Boxing bores me to tears, so I'll skip the rest of the card and just watch the freakshow main event for the theatrics. Probably watch the Friday Bellator card beforehand, not that that card is anything to write home about.

Turin

Banned
Why do MMA fighters throw their punches so wide? That shits not going to fly in the squared circle.

Well, sometimes wider punches work in boxing. lol

Some MMA fighters do show better technique with their hands but many just aren't going to unlearn those habits with the variety of disciplines they have to divide their time up working on.

Here's Cody Garbrandt with some nice short check hooks.

cody-short-hook-comp-2.gif

Why do MMA fighters throw their punches so wide? That shits not going to fly in the squared circle.

Because most of them can't box. The grappling aspect is a factor in that, too. You tend to keep your arms out a bit because you need to be ready to sprawl at a moment's notice.

It works the other way, too, though. Boxers crouching down and putting a bunch of weight on their lead leg when punching would be an invitation to getting their legs turned into hamburger in an MMA fight.

randome

I know nothing about either of these sports but isnt Mayweather one of the best at his sport? And McGregor doesn't even box professionally. What are people expecting? Unless everyone knows McGregor will lose and just wants to watch for fun.

I'm just hoping Conor actually comes back to UFC at this point, the winner of Kevin Lee vs Tony Ferguson is one hell of a difficult come back fight though.

TuXx

giphy.gif

Just one time I want Conor to do this in the middle of the ring.

He'll either get knocked the fuck out, or confuse Floyd enough to where he catches him by surprise.

Peltz

I can't imagine any scenario in which Conor McGregor can figure out Mayweather's defense. None of the best boxers in modern times could figure that shit out. And McGregor simply doesn't know the sport the way those guys did.

He's completely outclassed.

”They're not the same sport," said Marcus Davis, a retired veteran of 20 pro boxing bouts and more than 30 MMA fights, nearly half of which took place in the UFC. ”Once you understand that it's not the same sport, you can't keep telling yourself that it's just a fight. The gloves are bigger, the tactics are different. A lot of the defenses that work in boxing are ones you can't even use in MMA...."

...”But then sometimes I'd go to MMA gyms, and people who knew I boxed would want to put on the gloves and do some boxing sparring with me," Davis said. ”And when we did that, and I could use all my old boxing tricks, my boxing stance and defense, then I'd just destroy them. They just couldn't touch me because it was a completely different game. I knew how to play that game, and they didn't..."

...”Conor, he's a very good and maybe even a great striker for MMA," Lytle said. ”But there is a very big difference between boxing striking and MMA striking. Let's say you think Conor is a good boxer, which is a pretty big compliment for someone who's never had a boxing match. But even then, he's definitely not a great boxer or an elite boxer, and Floyd doesn't get hit by elite boxers."

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/07/how-ca...r-mma-fighters-boxing-experience-ideas-doubts

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I also think Conor gassing early is pretty unlikely, unless Floyd does some serious body work, which is indeed possible

Floyd never stands still and is constantly moving around the ring. Conor is going to be forced to move all the time and that's not counting the actual fighting that will occur.

Jer

I'm excited, it'll be a spectacle if nothing else. Got the watch party all set, heh.

I can't believe Mayweather is down to -400, that's so ridiculously cheap. There is no way that there's a 20% chance McGregor wins this fight, no way.

jeffram

This is a freak show and I can't wait.

I think it's laughable that people are thinking conor won't land at all, and every exchange will be a Mayweather highlight reel.

Conor fans need to accept:
-Conor is going to look bad most of the time, his one chance is landing a heavy shot and hurting Mayweather
-The longer the fight the more likely that Conor is going to get embarrassed. After the 5th round, there is little chance Conor will be able to turn things around

Maywheather fans need to accept:
- Conor is going to land a few good shots
- Conor isn't coming into to have a traditional boxing match, he's not going to stand like a boxer, move like a boxer, or throw like a boxer. His advantage will be doing things that's "not boxing" and come at maywhether with something he hasn't perfected beating for 20 years.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
- Conor isn't coming into to have a traditional boxing match, he's not going to stand like a boxer, move like a boxer, or throw like a boxer. His advantage will be doing things that's "not boxing" and come at maywhether with something he hasn't perfected beating for 20 years.

If the best boxers using all the best boxing techniques in the world couldn't do it I don't think some unorthodox strategy is going to do all that much. Its not like he can pull some trick out of his hat that no one else has ever thought of, let alone the fact that the rules would probably not allow for anything crazy.

jeffram

If the best boxers using all the best boxing techniques in the world couldn't do it I don't think some unorthodox strategy is going to do all that much. Its not like he can pull some trick out of his hat that no one else has ever thought of, let alone the fact that the rules would probably not allow for anything crazy.
It's not that people haven't thought about it, they just do what their best at. People who train their lives to box best shot is to go in and box, so that's what floyd has seen. Conor is going to be doing things like switching to traditional karate stances and back throughout the fight. I'm sure you'll see a lot of lunging in out with some body to body collisions.

I'm not saying floyd will be confused and out of his element, just that Conor is smart and knows he's not going to beat Floyd at pure boxing and is going to try and come in and give him something he's not prepared for more so than any boxing opponent floyd has faced.

Turin

Banned
I mean, even Gatti landed a few. No one remembers because he got obliterated but punches did in fact land on Floyd.

Cappa

Banned
as a non-boxing fan are any of these worth watching? and if possible their UFC equivalents? lol

9:05pm - Andrew Tabiti vs Steve Cunningham
9:35pm - Nathan Cleverly vs Badou Jack
10:20pm - Gervonta Davis vs Francisco Fonseca

Peltz

Call me crazy but I am still backing my prediction that Conor will win this.

You're crazy.

It's not that people haven't thought about it, they just do what their best at. People who train their lives to box best shot is to go in and box, so that's what floyd has seen. Conor is going to be doing things like switching to traditional karate stances and back throughout the fight. I'm sure you'll see a lot of lunging in out with some body to body collisions.

I'm not saying floyd will be confused and out of his element, just that Conor is smart and knows he's not going to beat Floyd at pure boxing and is going to try and come in and give him something he's not prepared for more so than any boxing opponent floyd has faced.

Defense is easier in boxing than it is in MMA. And Mayweather has the best defense in the history of the sport. There's no way Conor is going to be able to get around those larger-than-what-he's-used-to gloves with a more limited move set than he's used to.

Mayweather doesn't even watch tape of his opponents to prepare for fights. His strategy is that iron-clad. And a karate stance isn't suddenly going to confuse him and make him unable to anticipate strikes. I don't think Conor will be able to even land one headshot.

Top Bottom