• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

Mayweather, easily.

Even at age 40, he's probably going to be too fast for Conor. Then there's the technical skill and intellect in the ring which is arguably Floyd's greatest strength.

Also, the whole "Floyd hasn't dealt with power like Conor before" I think is a load of rubbish. Sure, unless we get Floyd's previous opponents in a time machine to see who punches harder then we can't really conclude anything... but there's a big fucking difference between striking in Boxing and striking in MMA. Anyone with any experience in both fields will tell you this. At least as far as punching goes. In my opinion Floyd's been hit by guys that have tremendous knock-out power, just as much if not more than Conor has.

It's absolute insanity to even compare one of the all time boxing greats, to a guy with a 0-0 pro record. There's going to be so many angles Conor just won't be ready for.

The big question isn't who wins, it's how Mayweather wins.

Haunted

Mayweather would win in MMA as well

just look at that rear naked choke technique

d94540775942645febcae7211ed07aa5.jpg

They're really pushing the "Mayweather ain't working that hard" angle here.

It's pretty much folks going, "I don't see much media presence around Floyd training, therefore Floyd doesn't train."

Suckers basically thinking because they don't see him training it means he doesn't train. So they're going to bet against dude.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Also, the whole "Floyd hasn't dealt with power like Conor before" I think is a load of rubbish. Sure, unless we get Floyd's previous opponents in a time machine to see who punches harder then we can't really conclude anything... but there's a big fucking difference between striking in Boxing and striking in MMA. Anyone with any experience in both fields will tell you this. At least as far as punching goes. In my opinion Floyd's been hit by guys that have tremendous knock-out power, just as much if not more than Conor has.

For one, Ricky Hatton hit massively harder than McGregor*, and he couldnt do shit to
Mayweather.

*Broke four of Castillos ribs with one punch

Spuck-uk

Banned
I'd like to thank all the idiots putting bets on McGregor though, it's made the odds for the inevitable Mayweather victory pretty nice!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Finally, unbiased analysis by a true boxing expert.
quotes by McGregor's MMA coach John Kavanagh

on how the fight is going to progress

on gloves

on the weight difference

This seems wildly off the mark. Are they serious with this strategy because it sounds like they're setting up to fight someone other than Floyd Mayweather.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Floyd really has amazing reactions. Or had. That's the first thing to go when you get older, isn't it. :p

On latest research, this isn't actually that true. Reflexes decrease with age, but not nearly as much as we used to think. What affects most boxers is cumulative damage through their careers slowing them down. Mayweather has a huge advantage in that he rarely gets hit, and has never been knocked down or out.

Conor doing what he does best. Hes trying to beat Floyd before the fight even starts. All the instagram stuff, interviews, basically everything reeking of confidence hoping that Floyd sees it and that he cant believe it.

Floyd will be trying to prove a point here and it will be exactly in that moment where he might get hurt.

For one, Ricky Hatton hit massively harder than McGregor*, and he couldnt do shit to
Mayweather.

*Broke four of Castillos ribs with one punch

Stop it. Ricky Hatton was a junior welterweight (140) that mauled his opponents, he wasn't particularly a massive puncher. Mayweather was the bigger and stronger fighter against him.

Castillo at that time was completely shot and had no business still boxing.

Pretty niaive thinking Floyd is gonna be on the defensive. He will come out and land a few big shots to make Conor think twice about advancing then totally dominate and control the fight from there. I'm not sure if he will then just continue to land blow after blow before thinking about a knockout in around the 6th or 7th round.

Floyd has always been more of a defensive fighter

Conor is going to get destroyed. Why is this fight even happening. I get hes the top of MMA right now but he just doesnt stand a chance against Floyd lol.

jett

D-Member
On latest research, this isn't actually that true. Reflexes decrease with age, but not nearly as much as we used to think. What affects most boxers is cumulative damage through their careers slowing them down. Mayweather has a huge advantage in that he rarely gets hit, and has never been knocked down or out.
That's interesting.
McGregor is insanely good at cutting weight.

AAEAAQAAAAAAAAq-AAAAJDhmMDAzNDUxLTM5NTQtNDk1Yy1iM2Q5LTU0NjBjODc1MjYxZg.jpg
Good lord what an insane difference.

It's too bad that K-1/kickboxing isn't popular at all in the US. That rule set would make the most sense from a competitive standpoint, though it would still probably swing the pendulum too far in Conor's favor. Alas- Floyd would never do it.

This is going to be a painful night for McGregor. He's completely out of his element, and it's going to look like it every second he's in there.

Sephzilla

My heart is rooting for Conor but my mind is saying Floyd. Floyd is simply too good. Conor winning would be a legit all time greatest upset

Spuck-uk

Banned
Stop it. Ricky Hatton was a junior welterweight (140) that mauled his opponents, he wasn't particularly a massive puncher. Mayweather was the bigger and stronger fighter against him.

Castillo at that time was completely shot and had no business still boxing.

Which is why Castillos ribs were somehow magically brittle?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:dp1-vXFGG7MJ:www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/news/engineers-prove-that--hitman--hatton-packs-a-mighty-punch/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Have some science.

McGregor is a guy who couldn't cut it on the Irish amateur circuit as a boxer, and got rocked and finished by Diaz, who's a volume puncher.

I'm pretty certain the gameplan from Floyd's Trainer, Floyd Sr., will be to completely and utterly embarrass Conor at every moment in the fight and make an example out of him.

Belker

I don't know anything about boxing and don't keep up with MMA, but I saw an interview with Mayweather the other day where he said he'll be attacking McGregor.

The interview was surprised, but Mayweather said he'd be coming forward.

I know but I'd use anything i could to get an advantage and the size difference would be one.

He's gonna have a huge size advantage. Conor will be 170 fight night and Floyd will be 154 on the dot

I don't know anything about boxing and don't keep up with MMA, but I saw an interview with Mayweather the other day where he said he'll be attacking McGregor.

The interview was surprised, but Mayweather said he'd be coming forward.

He's lying to sell the fight. He will fight in a defensive shell until Conor is tired, then push forward

Which is why Castillos ribs were somehow magically brittle?

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:dp1-vXFGG7MJ:www.manchester.ac.uk/discover/news/engineers-prove-that--hitman--hatton-packs-a-mighty-punch/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Have some science.

McGregor is a guy who couldn't cut it on the Irish amateur circuit as a boxer, and got rocked and finished by Diaz, who's a volume puncher.

LOL at have some science. I kept up with the majority of Hatton's career and watched all of his major fights. He was not known to be a massive puncher. His style was predicated on fighting on the inside, and relentlessly suffocating his opponents with pressure and roughing them up with punches that hit everywhere.

Castillo's biggest accomplishments had been in the junior lightweight and in the lightweight division. At the time of the match with Castillo at junior welterweight, he was 34 years old had 7 losses 1 draw and 55 wins on his record. He was shot and his body had been threw a lot. That's not to say Hatton didn't hit him with a good shot, he did, but you have to put it in context to get a bigger picture of it.

He's lying to sell the fight. He will fight in a defensive shell until Conor is tired, then push forward

Even if Floyd doesn't start out as the aggressor, I expect Floyd to counter a lot. The problem is that Conor himself is a counter puncher so the idea that Floyd may be the aggressor isn't that far fetched.

Even if Floyd doesn't start out as the aggressor, I expect Floyd to counter a lot. The problem is that Conor himself is a counter puncher so the idea that Floyd may be the aggressor isn't that far fetched.

Yeah I do think Floyd is going to be aggressive in this fight, but after a few rounds. He knows Conor's best chance is to land some big shots, so early on is going to be when he's most dangerous. I think the first 3 rounds or so Floyd fights smart / safe just to not give Conor any opportunity to use his power, then when Conor starts to slow a bit then push forward and get the eventual TKO

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Yeah I do think Floyd is going to be aggressive in this fight, but after a few rounds. He knows Conor's best chance is to land some big shots, so early on is going to be when he's most dangerous. I think the first 3 rounds or so Floyd fights smart / safe just to not give Conor any opportunity to use his power, then when Conor starts to slow a bit then push forward and get the eventual TKO

I don't think he wants to be too aggressive. He doesn't want to knock Conor out quick. Worst thing next to losing, would be making people feel like they got ripped off(Which they are anyways). But anything he wants to sell after that is going to be a hard sell.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Conor doing what he does best. Hes trying to beat Floyd before the fight even starts. All the instagram stuff, interviews, basically everything reeking of confidence hoping that Floyd sees it and that he cant believe it.

Floyd will be trying to prove a point here and it will be exactly in that moment where he might get hurt.

So Conor is trying to take Floyd's blueprint and then use it on Floyd? Lolololololololil.

Also, reading quotes from Conor's coach, he's a bonafide idiot. Floyd is going to meet him in the middle of the ring round one and work. Floyd is going to let him know early that it is hot in there. How can you have tape of 49 fights and still not get it right? Conor should fight his coach next for this dumbass game plan.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I don't think he wants to be too aggressive. He doesn't want to knock Conor out quick. Worst thing next to losing, would be making people feel like they got ripped off(Which they are anyways). But anything he wants to sell after that is going to be a hard sell.

Anyone who watches a Mayweather fight expecting him to play to the crowd is a fool at this point. He does what works for him and its rarely crowd pleasing. He doesn't care if people fill ripped off as people have felt ripped off by Mayweather fights for years now. This isn't to criticize his skill or anything, he's just not very pleasing for a lot of fairweather fans who want an all out brawl.

You think Floyd is concerned about that if he can knock Conor out quick? A quick KO would be more satisfying to a lot of fans than a dominant decision win.

LosDaddie

Banned
I'm just hoping it's not another boring ass Mayweather fight.

Ended up putting $100 on Mayweather because my friend has bought into the McGregor hype and is convinced he'll knock out Floyd. Seemed like easy money to me. Personally, I'm hoping McGregor wins just for the reactions on GAF/Social Media.

Going to my bud's house with a 70" HDTV in his Living Room, and a 60" in his screened patio/pool area on Saturday night for the fight. He paid for the fight, and guests are bringing food & drinks for the party. He doesn't have any kids. So it's going to get rowdy over there.

Top Bottom