• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Floyd Mayweather vs Conor McGregor - Saturday August 26th |OT| FOOK / YEAAAH

Banglish

if you consider Nate losing 48/47 48/47 and 47/47 as Nate getting his ass worked maybe someone should question if you know what the fuck mma is.

It was a war, Nate was dirty boxing and clinching well. That's it. How many times did Conor get dropped? Who was leaking like a broken faucet at the end of it?

Haunted

I think Lobov has litterally the shortest arms I've ever seen.

wx0qDzt.jpg
artem-lobov-of-ireland-poses-for-a-portrait-during-a-ufc-photo-on-2-picture-id508079478

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Bosslogic stays crushing the promotional posters nice to see Showtime gave him work. Btw Great OP Tom_Cody.

Poor Paulie. Conor has truly set up camp inside his head. He was almost crying when Conor told him he got whopped and to get over it. He probably thinks about nothing else these days.

Too bad where I live I won't get to hear his commentary on the fight. I'm sure it won't be biased at all.

Who makes a big deal out of a sparring session, that is some low standards Conor and his team have.

Who makes a big deal out of a sparring session, that is some low standards Conor and his team have.

Paulie is the one stalking Conor. He and his team don't give a shit about him.

McGregor said he posted the knockdown footage because Paulie was going on and on about it. Paulie got beat and after all the shit he talked he can't let it go.

Paulie is the one by far making the biggest deal about it. Conor's team uploaded a few photos and that was it.

Paulie did 1000 interviews instantly afterwords and did everything he could to bring as much attention to it as possible. He's flat out admitted he is angling for a fight with McGregor for the huge pay day

rugioh

Banned
Too bad where I live I won't get to hear his commentary on the fight. I'm sure it won't be biased at all.

I can't wait for Saturday, especially having to hear him commentate the match. Curious to see how he plays it. Conor has been living in his head rent free for the past month and a half easy.

Paulie is the one by far making the biggest deal about it. Conor's team uploaded a few photos and that was it.

Paulie did 1000 interviews instantly afterwords and did everything he could to bring as much attention to it as possible. He's flat out admitted he is angling for a fight with McGregor for the huge pay day

I mean, Team Conor-Tomato-UFC uploaded the video clips along with Tomato's comments saying that the clips show Mac-May would be a real fight. They were very, very intent on using the Paulie sparring as 'proof' that Conor has a chance against Floyd.

The silly part is that even if the Paulie-Conor sparring went as Conor-Dana-UFC have suggested (which is deeply unlikely), it would still mean absolutely nothing. Sparring is sparring; it isn't a fight. And sparring an over-the-hill, out-of-shape Paulie Malignaggi is particularly meaningless, given that even the best version of PM is miles beneath FM.

It is killing me that the MMA talking heads are continuing to shill for the UFC. So embarrassing.

I mean, Team Conor-Tomato-UFC uploaded the video clips along with Tomato's comments saying that the clips show Mac-May would be a real fight. They were very, very intent on using the Paulie sparring as 'proof' that Conor has a chance against Floyd.

The silly part is that even if the Paulie-Conor sparring went as Conor-Dana-UFC have suggested (which is deeply unlikely), it would still mean absolutely nothing. Sparring is sparring; it isn't a fight. And sparring an over-the-hill, out-of-shape Paulie Malignaggi is particularly meaningless, given that even the best version of PM is miles beneath FM.

It is killing me that the MMA talking heads are continuing to shill for the UFC. So embarrassing.

To be fair most in the boxing world didn't think McGregor could even hang with someone of Paulie's level, much less connect something meaningful. Paulie himself thought it was ridiculous. "I'll tie one hand behind my back, put weights on my feet and use something to hold my chin up high, then maybe he has a chance". "Even my cameramen can beat him in boxing". And then to find out McGregor whooped him? You are right this means nothing against Floyd, but it tells us McGregor's boxing is much better than people initially thought.

Aiii

So not worth it
Paulie is the one stalking Conor. He and his team don't give a shit about him.

McGregor said he posted the knockdown footage because Paulie was going on and on about it. Paulie got beat and after all the shit he talked he can't let it go.

Indeed. Paulie literally requested the footage be posted.

Of course he then said he wanted the entire fight blabla, knowing that Conor's camp would never give away the entire fight for the Mayweather camp to study. The footage is out there because he wouldn't stfu.

Those clips only came out after Paulie did his media tour getting as much attention as possible and claiming that he was pushed not knocked down. Which at best you can say it was somewhere in between but wasn't "just a push out of frustration during Conor's worse moments" as he claimed it was.

To be fair most in the boxing world didn't think McGregor could even hang with someone of Paulie's level, much less connect something meaningful. Paulie himself thought it was ridiculous. "I'll tie one hand behind my back, put weights on my feet and use something to hold my chin up high, then maybe he has a chance". "Even my cameramen can beat him in boxing". And then to find out McGregor whooped him? You are right this means nothing against Floyd, but it tells us McGregor's boxing is much better than people initially thought.

it only tells us that he can whoop someone that hasn't boxed in years and is out of shape now doing commentating. any active mma fighter should be able to whoop him.

it only tells us that he can whoop someone that hasn't boxed in years and is out of shape now doing commentating. any active mma fighter should be able to whoop him.

Paulie fought as recently as March of this year. Conor fought last in November 2016. Paulie has been more recently active / in camp then McGregor.

The idea the consensus is Conor could just walk in and beat up someone like Paulie in a boxing match is revisionist history. (Still doesn't mean he will be able to do much against Floyd)

Paulie brought the release of the clips on himself- but let's not get to worked up over them. The UFC brought him in and had him go a full 12 with Conor, and had cameras all set up and ready to go. This is all highly irregular, and was pretty clearly a publicity stunt meant to make Conor look more "ready" than he likely is. My guess is that the clips posted are from later action in their little "bout", long after Paulie gassed.

Aiii

So not worth it
Paulie brought the release of the clips on himself- but let's not get to worked up over them. The UFC brought him in and had him go a full 12 with Conor, and had cameras all set up and ready to go. This is all highly irregular, and was pretty clearly a publicity stunt meant to make Conor look more "ready" than he likely is. My guess is that the clips posted are from later action in their little "bout", long after Paulie gassed.

It is irregular to tape a sparring fight?

Only if you have the single worst trainer imaginable.

It is irregular to tape a sparring fight?

It's irregular to ask a sparring partner who's out of competition to come in and go 12 straight rounds, yes. And it's irregular for UFC brass to attend with hired photogs and cameramen to document it all from multiple angles.

commedieu

Banned
It's irregular to ask a sparring partner who's out of competition to come in and go 12 straight rounds, yes. And it's irregular to hire photogs and bring cameramen in to document it all from multiple angles.

Usually you don't have a professional referee.

For practice...

It couldn't be more obvious propaganda.

You aren't trying to knock out a sparring partner.

It's irregular to ask a sparring partner who's out of competition to come in and go 12 straight rounds, yes. And it's irregular for UFC brass to attend with hired photogs and cameramen to document it all from multiple angles.

Except Conor is on record saying the Paulie was being brought in to answer for his words, that they were gonna have a knock and go from there.

I honestly don't know what he expected.

Usually you don't have a professional referee.

For practice...

It couldn't be more obvious propaganda.

You aren't trying to knock out a sparring partner.

And you usually don't have a 0-0 guy fighting a 49-0 guy.

It's pretty clear why he has a professional ref in there.

Friggz

i dont have much interest in this fight, but how much of this spectacle is conor just wanting the huge payday? is there anything in the back of his mind that knows he stands no chance?

natjjohn

Watching Colin cowherd and they are showing some clips of Mayweather and Mcgregor training. Not a boxing expert, but Mayweather looks like an elite boxer and Mcgregor looks like somebody you'd see in the gym.

zelas

i dont have much interest in this fight, but how much of this spectacle is conor just wanting the huge payday? is there anything in the back of his mind that knows he stands no chance?

That's all this is. Conor is chasing the money because he has the opportunity.

If you follow Conor at all he 100% believes he will win. That's part of why I like him is his insane amount of confidence and self belief

That's all this is. Conor is chasing the money because he has the opportunity.

Incorrect. Though the payday is obviously a big factor

It's absolutely a case of Conor chasing a huge payday. It's what he's been doing for the last several years in the UFC as well. He makes no secret of it.

As for knowing he stands no chance- I think he honestly believes he's going to knock Floyd out in 4 rounds like he says. It will be interesting to see how the humiliation affects him as a fighter going forward because, make no mistake, he's about to get humiliated in that ring.

Top Bottom