• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Too Human Coverage April/13/07 (post #922+ for reactions)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jett

D-Member
bscap0097zv1.jpg

:lol SK needs to hire better modelers/artists.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Emowii said:
Before it used to always be "but the downloadable content was created after the game was finished". Now we hear "as long as they give you a nice amount of content on the game, who cares".

Eventually it will be "Who needs more than 5 tracks in Gran Turismo? If you want more, you can pay extra for them".
Think about how the old GT cars look, and how the new ones look. How much do you think is the price difference in creating one of the old cars compared to the new cars? It used to take 4 days to model one car in the PS2, now it takes 6 weeks to model cars in the PS3. As graphics evolve, the price to tap that power increases exponentially. The fact some games are priced atonly $60 dollars is a miracle given the fact the production costs are 2 to 3 times what it used to be in last gen. If you want graphics like in the Matrix, the old price model wont cut it. The only hope is that gaming becomes mainstream enough, for the developers to actually generate money, else if the customers are not willing to pay then is back to Xbox 1 graphics for everybody...

Maybe Nintendo was actually onto something....

BboyDubC

dfyb said:
what worries me is how accepting some of you are. it makes it much more likely that things like this will catch on and become mainstream, which would be a bad thing for the gaming industry. turning "make the best game possible" into "make an acceptable amount of content included in the $60 and charge extra for anything else" is not something i want to look forward to, and i don't see how anyone could seriously think otherwise.

extra content has existed for years before xbox live came in here trying to charge for every last bit they think consumers would be suckered into. PC games like UT and CS have remained popular for so many years because the developers give users a great value, not because they try to get consumers to keep buying bits of the game. CS has been around since around 1998, and it's still the most popular online FPS (it consistantly has twice as many users as halo 2 online). additional maps, features, and updates are a big part of how that's happened. extending the life of the game and doing what's necessary to help the community grow and stay alive promote additional sales far more than large marketing budgets. charging for additional pieces of games hurts the online community and life of the game.

edit: basically, you're thinking that charging for DLC is the only way to add more content to games and the only way to make more money. there are better ways to generate more revenue and profit -- they've been in practice in the PC market for over a decade. the good PC devs know how to do it. right now these PC devs are selling engines to every other developer (unreal engine, epic) and valve has the best online distribution platform and network for games (steam). these two developers hold more power than the typical console dev, and it's because they know how to generate sales in a way that benefits both the gamers (free content, healthier online communities) and the developers pocket books (more sales).

PC games are released and have 3 different patches during the first 3 days. Who are you kidding? Mod communities drive the maps/aspects of pc gaming. Developers release the tools to do it, and the users create the content. You want a closed system like that on LIVE and you have to go through certification. COMPLETELY different dynamics that can't even be compared.

As for the comment about what is a 60 dollar game, Itagaki worked hard on DOA, made costumes, and everyboy has clamored for more. He hasn't complied though, because he moved on. When someone is working on EXTRA content, it doesn't have to be ready by release day. It doesn't have to be tested early. They might even store in on the disk, but eventually release a small patch that fixes a clipping aspect or something as a small downloadable key. The point is it doesn't have the constraints of the core product.

Think of it this way. A company has staff, and then they take one guy out and tell him to go work on extra content. They then redistribute that guy's work to everybody else when they are ALREADY overloaded. What they did was the equivalent of hiring an extra guy. They have to pay the guy to that extra work right? The gaming industry is overworked as it is. People work 80-100 hr weeks. It is why you get people like Jaffe who end up hating their job and don't want to go back to that kind of schedule. Sure, I'd like to get content beyond what someone is giving me. I'd LIKE it all to be free like Itagaki did with the hurricane packs. Personally I don't buy ANYthing extra on LIVE. However, for the other guys that are taking on that one guy's work who is doing the content, they deserve to be rewarded for working extra when they didn't have to. As long as the content was beyond the planned scope of the game, they should be able to charge. I just won't buy it if I don't want it. :D

Basically you are saying they should be slaves for you just because they make games. They have a plan, but they should NEVER think of any other ideas because that means they have to go and work on it so that the gamer is satisfied. That means they now should work weekends just because they were stupid enough to say "hey, wouldn't that be cool", and they get no benefit from it. In the past, an idea like 100s of costume combinations in a game like Too Human would have been proposed and just cut due to time constraints. Developers come up with lots of ideas that get scrapped, due to them being considered "waste of efforts". Now they can work on them due to the freedom of time from not having to meet the ship deadline, and also they'll get approved because the big wigs know they can turn a profit for it.

godhandiscen

USD said:
Isn't that exactly why they should be aiming a lot higher? It's being compared to action game heavyweights because the game is obviously trying to mimic some of the elements of that gameplay. The animation looks bad on a relative and absolute scale. That sort of animation should have been left in the dust a long time ago. Here's hoping that that video was very, very old. It just looks like a cleaned-up and beefed-up version of the E3 showing to me. Hopefully the other aspects of the gameplay deliver otherwise I won't look back at this game at all.
Ok, so if suddenly WoW or Diablo 2 had animations like the ones in TH you guys would complain because they are not as good as the ones in NG or DMC? I dont get it. TH has an action RPG type of combat, thus being compared to NG and DMC is unfair, the same way that asking for RPG elements in those titles would be unfair.

BboyDubC

godhandiscen said:
Ok, so if suddenly WoW or Diablo 2 had animations like the ones in TH you guys would complain because they are not as good as the ones in NG or DMC? I dont get it. TH has an action RPG type of combat, thus being compared to NG and DMC is unfair, the same way that asking for RPG elements in those titles would be unfair.

Then DONT PUT THE DMC ACTION IN THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE! If he is going to put it in there, don't freakin doing it half-wittedly and say "well, I can only do this part right -- at least it's there though, so just enjoy that I tried". WTH kind of thinking is this? And no, stop lying to yourself. TH does NOT have an action RPG style-combat. The combat is 100 PERCENT taken from DMC. He freakin said it himself. It was copied, tweaked, and in it's current states is about 80% worse than the source material. Once again, stop trying to make Denis' game into something you want it to be instead of what he SAYS it is.

bud

The video with gameplay sometimes stops for a couple of seconds, am i the only having this issue?

i'm watching it in 640x480

godhandiscen said:
So what do you recommend me to do? Not buy the DLC just because you think its unfair? What if I actually find it worth my money? What if the developer actually creates a game thats worth $80 so it cuts features and releases them as DLC for $20. Am I not supposed to buy them just because "its unfair". Or ask for the dev to release their $80 game at the price of $60, make the company lose money, and never see a sequel to what otherwise would have been a huge succes? Its my choice to support the games I want. TBH I have not bought any DLC from Market Place until now except the Lost Planet maps. I have around 30 Xbox 360 games, and I have had the console since launch day. Why I have not bought any DLC? Because I didnt like the games enough to get their DLC, meaning I dont give a damn wheter they get sequels or not. However, if I like TH the same way I like LP, and I think the DLC is priced reasonably, then you can bet I will pay for the DLC. Its a matter of choice. Development costs are rising, and only the best games will prevail. Its up to gamers to support which games stay and which games go. I dont know why you complain about this, and I could care less, but to convince me I should not be buying something I might want, is just wrong.
Spend what you want. Obviously if you find the content worth the price, there is nothing wrong with you buying it. No one is telling you otherwise.

The point being made is, that game you think is worth $80 would likely have been released with all its content on disc for $60 before the DLC marketing system was introduced. They would have made up the lost $20 through greater sales of the disc, as it would have been a greater value.

Now with DLC you have the same team strongly pressured to include only as much as they think is absolutely necessary on the disc, with anything above and beyond that available for premium purchase.

Obviously the development teams will make more money in the long run this way, but for consumers it's hard to pay $80 when you know the same amount of content would have been $60 before Live. Note that I'm not including content that truly would never have made it into final product by retail, such as levels or features developed after a title's release. But anything showing up in the Marketplace on release day could have been put on the disc. The sole reason anyone would take that content and put it in DLC form is for extra money.

If you want to spend it, go ahead! It's a free market and Microsoft et al are counting on consumers like you. For the rest of us, we'll have to weigh what we're getting versus the cost (again, free market) but we don't have to like it, or how the DLC system is changing the development teams' ideas of content value and distribution methods.

Emowii

Banned
It seems to me that this game is borrowing from many games (Devil May Cry, God of War being the obvious ones), but it's not bettering those games in any way. Thats it's biggest problem.

The two fisted shooting animation looks like it was ripped straight out of Devil May Cry, but the setting doesn't fit like it did in Devil May Cry. So it ends up looking like a character from a Star Wars movie, shooting guns like Dante.

The GoW like melee attacks don't look nearly as good as they did in GoW.

Petrarca

Banned
godhandiscen said:
Because up until now everytime Too Human has been described, it has been compared to the likes of Diablo 2, WoW, and other action RPG's. Its just today that GoW and DMC where even mentioned.

Where have you been?!?!

For the last 2 years, this game had been advertised by Dennis Dyak himself as action game ala DMC/GOW, Dennis himself even talked trash/down GOW, how his game would re-define action genre blah, blah.

then came the meltdown at E3 last year, now DD and SK are singing different tune how Too Human is more an RPG/action

....and the other poster was right, even Kingdom Heart has a better combat animations, more fluid and natural

godhandiscen

BboyDubC said:
Then DONT PUT THE DMC ACTION IN THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE! If he is going to put it in there, don't freakin doing it half-wittedly and say "well, I can only do this part right -- at least it's there though, so just enjoy that I tried". WTH kind of thinking is this? And no, stop lying to yourself. TH does NOT have an action RPG style-combat. The combat is 100 PERCENT taken from DMC. He freakin said it himself. It was copied, tweaked, and in it's current states is about 80% worse than the source material. Once again, stop trying to make Denis' game into something you want it to be instead of what he SAYS it is.
Watch the video and listen to DD words carefully. They are not aiming for DMC style of combat at all. They are mixing real time combat, which is typical of eatern games with western RPG combat (emphasis in correct equipment, leveling, types of weapons, etc). Seriously, I dont know where you are getting the idea they are imitating DMC because thats clearly what they are saying they are NOT doing! Stop lying, and watch the video.
Edit: Whoever wants to argue with me, is fine, I respect your opinion. I understand this is an action RPG as it has always been since its conception. You guys say its a mediocre DMC imitator. Fine. I will buy the game, you guys wont. DD wont shut up his mouth, and you guys wont stop bashing him. Nobody loses, everybody happy. I am off to bed.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
If theres one thing that didn't deliver, it was this thread. Everyone had gone to sleep by the time it went up. I doubt it would have been that great if they'd been awake but still. This shit was supposed to be legendary.

NinSoX

Banned
I haven't seen the video yet but judging from screenshots it looks better than Mass Effect IMO. What is wrong with this thread? There are so many negative comments allowed in here. Quit derailing the thread and talk about the game...

Razoric

Banned
m0dus said:
Don't be foolish. except for a couple dodgy models in the background, that scene looked pretty incredible.

and people complaining about how the 'combat is crap' we saw like 5 seconds of it, and what I saw looked fine. And people have to realize you can't judge combat by how it looks, but by how responsive it is when you PLAY it.

Yup. The only thing I saw that was sketchy about the game was the framerate. It seemed to feel like it could break at any time. But hopefully they clean that up for release.

Emowii

Banned
NinSoX said:
I haven't seen the video yet but judging from screenshots it looks better than Mass Effect IMO. What is wrong with this thread? There are so many negative comments allowed in here. Quit derailing the thread and talk about the game...
It sounds like you just don't want to hear any criticism of the game. Maybe some people are taking it too far, but I think there are a lot of fair criticisms as well. Particularly when it comes to the combat, which just doesn't look that good.

Variable

m0dus said:
Don't be foolish. except for a couple dodgy models in the background, that scene looked pretty incredible.

and people complaining about how the 'combat is crap' we saw like 5 seconds of it, and what I saw looked fine. And people have to realize you can't judge combat by how it looks, but by how responsive it is when you PLAY it.

Do you know what message board you are on?

NinSoX

Banned
Emowii said:
It sounds like you just don't want to hear any criticism of the game. Maybe some people are taking it too far, but I think there are a lot of fair criticisms as well. Particularly when it comes to the combat, which just doesn't look that good.

I don't want to hear criticism of the game? :lol I really didn't like Eternal Darkness or Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes so I already had low expectations for this one. Judging from the screens released it looks really good and at least now I will keep an eye on this one from now on.

I just don't like the usual suspects that don't join in on the conversation before anything is released, yet they're the first ones to show up to bash the game as soon as footage is released.

Ok, after seeing the video, consider me on the Hype Train for this game. Very few stuff coming down the pipe looks or sounds this good. Sure, they got some kinks to work out, but it's coming along swimmingly. Hopefully, it ships this year, but if not, they can take all the time they need.

Geoff9920

Personally, I'm more interested in the RPG elements than the combat. We got some small details about that, but not much. Five Classes, max Level of 50(dyack mentions leveling to 50), but that's about it. Hopefully we'll hear more very soon. Really enjoyed the music too, hopefully that's from the game.

The graphics in this game look really amazing, but the combat looks to leave a lot to be desired. I remember when I read the preview in EGM and it said that the combat was going to play a big role, but it seems in the current state of the game that the combat is taking a backseat to the other aspects of the game. :(

Well, I'll tentatively anticipate the game. Though, if it plays anything like it sounds, I'll be going with the Berserker... however, the Berserker looks pretty crap. Please fix him! The Bioengineer is really slick.

The game does seem kind of odd in how it combines different aspects of different genres. It's like an epic action/adventure/RPG/dungeon crawler. Personally I'm not too fond of the last part there.

Also, the animations are stiff and twitchy if you didn't know. The combat in general doesn't look particularly appealing. Needs more oomph.

1-D_FTW

The game actually looks pretty nice.

As others have stated, the fact content is being created that's purposely being withheld for DLC is ****** up. Either include everything that's been created when the game ships, or sell it at a reduced price.

Denis talks about gaming reaching Hollywood heights, but if Hollywood sold DVDs at 59.99 and made you pay extra if you wanted to see the entire movie... it wouldn't be mainstream like it is.

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
Does anybody know how multiplayer will work? I heard Dyack mention that it will be something like Diablo 2 but more fun

Nm. Finish downloading it and it answered it. Looking forward to it :D

Ryuuga

Banned
The game looks pretty good thus far. I absolutely love the multiplayer features that the game has to offer. Simply can't wait to break that in. As aforementioned, you can't determine how good or bad the combat is based on sight alone, but the animations during combat (as in general) made the whole fight seem..weak. I watched it a second time and had a flash back of the combat system in LoK: Defiance. Afterwards I let out one of those yawns in which a tear starts to form in the corner of your eye. You know the one.

QVT

Fair-weather, with pride!
snack said:
Well, Denis said that there will be a demo before release, and in the video of Too Human the build they played seemed to be a demo.

Which hopefully means its sooner than we want.

Just saw the video. Im going to have to agree with you guys the combat just doesnt look right. Its an obvious rip of DMC. People can claim that they care more about the RPG elements buts its the combat that your going to be staring at for the most part.

This guy just doesnt look cool when he fights. He doesnt look like hes kicking ass. The fighting seemed sort of canned. Instead of taking bits and pieces from other games they should have just tried to do there own thing. I mean come on knocking people in the air then shooting them is so DMC why even bother stealing that.

Everything else looked great though. I dont see the animations changing before launch so Im not quite sure about this one.

Uncle

SteveO409 said:
Does anybody know how multiplayer will work? I heard Dyack mention that it will be something like Diablo 2 but more fun

IIRC they've said that when playing co-op you'd get tougher opponents, better loot and could do more powerful combos with your friends. But I read this way back, so I'm not exactly sure anymore and could'nt find a source with a quick googling.

Grecco

So basically its Well Too Human (Im downloading now)

Last time it was shown, Graphics werent really the problem. The Jerky combat animations were.

and it seems like this is still a problem?

Uncle

snack said:
Well, Denis said that there will be a demo before release, and in the video of Too Human the build they played seemed to be a demo.

I figured as much, but I actually meant written previews and such from IGN. The video was just SK dudes talking about their game, so I'm wondering what did the IGN dudes think.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The animation looks very stiff. It looks like the character is using only his upper body to swing his sword. His legs are stiff and don't appear to be connected to his actions at all.

DenogginizerOS said:
His legs are stiff and don't appear to be connected to his actions at all.

I think you may have nailed it. I couldnt really figure out what was the problem I just knew something didnt seem right. The human body is a very hard thing to animate. For some reason the Japanese seem to be masters at that.

Looks like a mess. One moment the character is plodding along and suddenly he's in combat moving at light speed, teleporting around, feet jittering, and you can't tell what the hell is going on. Half the time he's just swinging his sword around at nothing going through some canned animation sequence. Hopefully the RPG stuff is really deep.

bendak

These are HUGE!!! improvements over E3.

This game is going to be epic. I am pretty confident SK will be able to polish out all the kinks and turn this into a wonderful game.

I'm sure you guys have heard other devs say this before, but the polish stage is always when games come together. The difference between right when a game goes into alpha and its finished state is huge.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
wow

Mr Dyack is looking BUFF - one more in the eye for the haters!

To be honest, i missed all the "fun" with the last threads - but the game seems to be moving in the right direction. 4 player online coop is rapidly becoming a major selling point for me (and a few others) - frame rate didn't look perfect but hopefully that can be ironed out.

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Confidence Man said:
Looks like a mess. One moment the character is plodding along and suddenly he's in combat moving at light speed, teleporting around, feet jittering, and you can't tell what the hell is going on. Half the time he's just swinging his sword around at nothing going through some canned animation sequence. Hopefully the RPG stuff is really deep.

You rang?

heavenlysword_12.jpg

:lol

j/k

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom