• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (premiers March 2nd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Brian Williams is always a fantastic guest. I could watch the guy talk to a rock for 10 minutes and it'd still be entertaining as hell.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Great episode. Mostly because of Tracy Morgan and the animals, but the shared experiences stuff was pretty funny, too.

Zoe

Heh, you can really tell who his intended target audience is. Wonder how long it will take for people to clue in on that though (lots of old people in the crowd...).

joshcryer

it's ok, you're all right now
BobFromPikeCreek said:
Is Carson Daly not doing a standard, studio audience talk show anymore? From what I'm seeing this format looks pretty decent for him.

He's using Leno's stage at night and implying that they set it up for him (Leno is doing a week-long outdoor concert thing, so at night Carson invites indy bands to perform there). :lol

It's a decent format but he still has a lot of work if he's going to improve. His editors need to be fired or get over the whole black to white "indy to color" image transition thing that is so lame and shitty.

I'll never get the Leno hate. Yes I know the history. He still has the best monolougs of any late nighters and he puts a lot of effort in to it (watch his Inside the Actors Studio interview).

Edit, ahahaha, roots wearing snuggies. Brilliant. I LOL'd.

pnjtony

I wish they'd slow jam the news more often. He did it the first night and it was my favorite bit of the whole episode. I really think that'd help his monologue which is pretty painful. It's hard to imagine he did a stand-up tour to get ready....I think he needs to go back out on the road.

Baby eating demon was pretty funny.

Jimmy, I wasn't born yesterday, but if I were, I'd be delicious!

Denali

Haven't read the thread in about a week, what's the general opinion on the show by now? I've been trying to catch every episode, missed two somewhere in the mix - but I'm loving it so far. He's a really likable host and seems generally interested when he's interviewing his guests, although I'm sure this all being brand new to him has something to do with that. But it's nice to see someone not reading strictly off the notecards or dickhead Letterman.
Letterman is the man
:D

Clive Owen and Paul Teutul on tonight, should be decent. Vampire Weekend performing, can't say I know any of their songs off the top of my head - but the Ting Tings weren't bad last night.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Zoe said:
Heh, you can really tell who his intended target audience is. Wonder how long it will take for people to clue in on that though (lots of old people in the crowd...).

When Conan was first starting, Leno filled Conan's audience with people who couldn't get into the Tonight Show. Wouldn't be surprised if the same thing is going on now.

Cobra84

Lost Fragment said:
When Conan was first starting, Leno filled Conan's audience with people who couldn't get into the Tonight Show. Wouldn't be surprised if the same thing is going on now.
What?

I'm sorry the Tonight Show is sold out. Would you like tickets to a show 2500 miles away? :lol

Ashhong

im watching last mondays episode with the magazine combination skit, and i feel sorry for him some times. he desperately needs new writers or something, that skit SUCKED and he knew it. you could see the sad look on his face at the end of it.

rezuth

Lost Fragment said:
You sure ya aint thinking of Letterman?

Cheebs

rezuth said:
You sure ya aint thinking of Letterman?
Yeah it was Letterman who helped Conan.

Letterman HATED Leno and refused to ever go on his show but has always been a big fan of Conan and gone on his show a few times.

wRATH2x

Banned
BrandNew said:
Huh? I'd argue that Leno has the absolute worst monologue of them all.
Jay Leno is great,I really don't get the hate,but come the fuck on,you watch Fallon and yet claim Leno has the worst monologues,well whatever floats your boat.

GQman2121

Banned
The problem for Jimmy is he is not a stand up comedian. He's a slightly more experienced version of Carson Daily when it comes to that form of comedy, and that's not saying much. Daily can at lease can hold a decent interview with out laughing like a school girl. Once his monologue starts, Jimmy looks like he can't wait to get behind the desk to stop the bleeding.

Did you see his face last night when he messed up that piggy back, piggy bank line? Its just uncomfortable and awkward.

I've found my self just turning the channel and coming back when the guest(s) comes out. I honestly don't think this version of Late Night is going to last through the summer.

Yeah his monologue is painful to watch, and it's even worse because it seems like he knows it's terrible even as he's performing it.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
FunkyMunkey said:
Why are the Roots so quiet throughout the show?

I think one of the "off" things about Fallon's foray is that the band doesn't chime in or play quirky tunes after one-liners like they do on Leno or Conan.

When he's doing the stand-up in the beginning, he NEEDS the band to offset the silence and participate. It's like he's alone up there and the writers expect their material to be gold, when it isn't.

Out of all the posts here I agree with this the most. He also tries a lot to specifically reference the crowd to get them to interact now cause they really aren't feeling him yet, but it seems forced. We need the band to SLIDE ON IN with a flourish during one of those awkward pauses and get the audience comfortable with piping up.

Who knows why but this show is basically appointment television for me now. I just really enjoy it for some reason. I think his monologue delivery is atypical, sure, and a lot of the straight up jokes fall flat, but stuff like that one about the woman who tried to sue a bar for falling off of it while dancing was hilarious ("I'm just not feeling it down here! I gotta get up there!"). And of course the Roots are amazing. I don't know, it has it's own weird voice and space. I like it a lot. And people like Fred Armisen just come in and do great, off the cuff shit. It could easily just evolve into a place where SNL people come in and fuck around and I'd love it.

And plus Michael Showalter played in an audience gag with AD Miles, so that pretty much makes Jimmy Fallon the king of late night now.

My fiance and I have been really enjoying the show... it always seems thought that the audience is not.

Do my fiance and I have poor senses of humor or do his audiences just suck?

Sapiens

Bill_the_Butcher said:
My fiance and I have been really enjoying the show... it always seems thought that the audience is not.

If you like Fallon, you have a poor sense of humour, period.

Kill yourselves.

Bill_the_Butcher said:

No, its popular to hate on Fallon, even though hes not the greatest comedian/host. He doesn't deserve as much hate as he gets. And the audience bought their tickets months ago and they think they are there to see Conan so they are a little upset and shocked when they learn the show has a new host.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Bill_the_Butcher said:

poor? nah. Just different. Personally I think he is boring. Hopefully he will be good in a few years.

Just want to comment on this show, I watched a bit of it last night for the first time, and got to say that Fallon looks so awkward and so uncomfortable on the show, it was almost unwatchable.

Cheebs said:
Yeah it was Letterman who helped Conan.

Letterman HATED Leno and refused to ever go on his show but has always been a big fan of Conan and gone on his show a few times.
wait, seriously? Is this up any where?

Sapiens

Memphis Reigns said:
No, its popular to hate on Fallon, even though hes not the greatest comedian/host. He doesn't deserve as much hate as he gets. And the audience bought their tickets months ago and they think they are there to see Conan so they are a little upset and shocked when they learn the show has a new host.

Ummm, tickets for any late night program free.

Also, judging by the ratings, Fallon is quite popular with the masses. It is popular to like Fallon. It is counter to the popular opinion to think he is a total ass clown, untalented hack post SNL reject.

Rapping Granny said:
Just want to comment on this show, I watched a bit of it last night for the first time, and got to say that Fallon looks so awkward and so uncomfortable on the show, it was almost unwatchable.

I don't know, his monologue is like 1/22nd of the show and even there he's starting to relax.

RotBot

Have you noticed that Jimmy's writers/performers all look like young, hipster cool kids while Conan's writers/performers (and Conan) are goofy oddball looking weirdos? Which would you rather have writing comedy for you?

rezuth

RotBot said:
Have you noticed that Jimmy's writers/performers all look like young, hipster cool kids while Conan's writers/performers (and Conan) are goofy oddball looking weirdos? Which would you rather have writing comedy for you?
I think the problem is that he picked writers that are experienced with games/tech rather than comedy.

Sapiens just sits by himself at his home and waits for someone to have a different opinion than him so he can just fling shit at them. How dare they!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom