• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritz

Banned
Mass Effect 3 is the worst possible entry point for the series. ... fans who have held onto their save files since Mass Effect 1 are still going to find that payoff lacking. The worst sin BioWare has committed with Mass Effect 3 is a tactless avoidance of consequences to major decisions ... BioWare realised its trilogy-spanning plot was trying to do too much ... Mass Effect 3’s squad roster is disappointingly sparse by comparison. ... Shepard’s line-up is in desperate need of some variety. ... neither BioWare nor EA are treating their fans with respect. ... The story itself also suffers. ... God dammit. ... Galaxy at War system ultimately amounts to a glorified narrative progress bar ... this makes the game less replayable – this is not a time and place you’ll want to revisit. ... the series’ characteristically trashy sex and awkward romance dialogue seems even more out of place ... Where its wonder was once defined by the traversal of uncharted worlds, here it’s defined by big explosions and space battle cutscenes. ... the series has also lost something in order to depict it.

8/10

I know I'm the bar to reach in terms of gaming journalism, but you really don't have to copy my score scale.

Jintor

Don't shoot me, shoot dan

I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned with review scores anyway. They're just not a suitable metric for anything much.

For reference, I think Dan gave ME2 a 10/10. Not sure though.

Kritz

Banned
I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned with review scores anyway. They're just not a suitable metric for anything much.

well a 10 point scale certainly isn't :p

It depends on the reason why you have a score. Is it to act as a buyer's guide, or is it to quantify the quality of the product?

Terrible | Bad | Okay | Good | Great

The only scale you need for quality.

Yagharek

Five point scale is fine. Enough room for conveying quality, reduced emphasis on difference between 4 & 5. And ideally less publisher interference.

Its impossible for me to trust 99.99% of reviews these days. Too many vested interests, too much hype, too low standards for what is considered great. Or fun. Games get reviewed in context of banal fanboy debate about console wars, poor writing is considered Oscar worthy and criticism of severe technical flaws is non existent.

I give game reviewers en masse 0 stars for their collective efforts this generation.

Jintor

It was this thread that convinced me of the five point scale. A VKS post I think.

I just like GiantBomb's usage of it.

I just think enjoyment of a game is so subjective that you don't really need that much granuality... granuity... graininess to a review score. If I want to know about something at a glance, just give me the broad strokes; leave the fine detail to your words.

BLEHHHHHHH Got some food poisoning I think from dinner last night, the gf has a random pasta mixup that included ham instead of bacon last night. We have all had symptoms at least. Started to feel funny in the stomach around 2pm and after doing some yard work when I got home it had turned into stabbing pains, so painful I couldn't nap it off. Ended up taking some Endone. Which woooooooooooooooooooooooorked! Had to take a half hour break from writing this because I thought I would pass out from it lol.

Not fun.

XBOX.....DOLPHIN SANDWICH.
Heh, I was eating Tuna sandwiches for lunch when I read that!

If you stare right at someone eating, it's pretty gross. People should wear headscarves while eating imo.
Staring at people just sitting there breathing really shows how dynamic the human body is. We are beautiful.

If you don't use Player Pro to listen to music you're doing it wrong.
I use WinAmp as I just drop and drag music onto my phone whenever there is a new album I want to listen to, otherwise I will get paralysed with choice and only listen to 10 seconds of a track before switching to another one.

I prefer Kronenbourg to Carlsberg. Neither are your top quality beers, but I have had a few Kronenbourg in my time when it's cheap. For 30 bucks can't go wrong.
Damn Dans were meant to have stock but they conveniently had empty spaces for the 2 slabs... Ended up finding a slab of Sail & Anchor Bolt on clearance for $24. The gf has given it the nod of approval. Score.

Geelong EB are throwing a Midnight launch for ME3, tempting, very tempting
Reminded me I needed to cancel my pre-order! Mindfucked though. Called up and asked to transfer to another game and was told I would need to come in with photo id to do it, perfectly fine to transfer my pre-order cash to the Warrnambool store though. WHICH IS THE POLAR FUCKING OPPOSITE OF WHAT I WAS TOLD WHEN I CALLED UP TO CANCEL MY PREORDER OF SKYRIM AND SUBSEQUENTLY MEANT I SWITCHED THE PREORDER TO MASS EFFECT. Facepalmed but at least my $10 is now here in town with me.

Dear Bookies

How are Australia favourites to win tommorow

Signed

Anyone who saw Australia decimated yesterday
Dear Choc

Don't the odds depend on who the betting public are putting their money on?

Signed

Someone with only a little experience gambling so I am probably wrong anyway

P.S. Impressed at the flawless punctuation and spelling though.

Almost makes me want to look into whether the pending ICS release on my Windpad could somehow be dual-booted with Windows 7/8. Given that they're both running on the same platform, I'd guess not?
I thought you were the one that linked on here an article and video of some site reporting that it officially would boot into Android and Win7?

Robert Ashley from GFW Radio has a Kickstarter for his LP. If you like indie rock check it out. It's quite good. Haven't listened to volume 2 yet.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1175895258/put-both-volumes-of-eternal-life-on-a-single-vinyl
Last time someone pimped his music I disregarded it quickly on first listen but this time I clicked on the single and man, it is really great! The long form made it hard to focus while doing other things but I might have to drop $20 on the kickstarter for it.

On a more AusGAF note, the gorgeous redhead in the graphic design course I just started catches exactly the same train as me from exactly the same station and I only realised it was the same gal when we headed into exactly the same class.
Redheads are so awesome. Also reminds me of Mass Effect since my FemShep rolls with the awesome dark red hair.

those guys who hacked sony?

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/se...s-an-fbi-plant-for-months-20120307-1ujqk.html
Led by an FBI mole
FOR FUCK SAKE. FBI condoned hacking, AWESOME.
I htought they turned him AFTER all the hacks, that they pretty much arrested him and told him unless he fed them evidence he was fucked. Also sounds like that going by some tweets that make it sound like the cops screwed him over. Makes sense since his identity was revealed like 9 months ago.

In any case I am sure The Jester had a good laugh while pleasuring himself last night.

First impressions of ME3:
Everything feels more janky and ugly than ME2. Shooting and movement feels weird, guns don't feel as satisfying and the UI seems uglier to me. Maybe I just have to get used to the changes. Also the ME2 opening is better.
My impressions pretty much. They are much improved in regards to directing the cutscenes though. Very much aiming on that Michael Bay directed blockbuster for better or worse. Found the dialogue delivery to be off for some reason, timing wasn't great.

Also FOR FUCKS SAKE why at this point after so many games does one key on PC need to do roll/sprint/get into cover/move out of cover/use/talk. I want sprint to be on the shift key and everything else on E. IT JUST MAKES SO MUCH MORE SENSE AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

This reminds me of a conversation we had a couple of threads back about judging parents whose kids are acting up or whatever: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kara-gebhart-uhl/mom-judgments_b_1319775.html
I'm more about judging the world in general for making noise that annoys me at that point. "Why do you hate me universe, I am hungover as shit and just want to get my chocolate milk and cheese twisties, why do I need to have my body raped by noise"

Rahk

I like Goodreads 5 point scale.

Didn't like it | It was OK | Liked it | Really liked it | It was amazing

I don't see the point in having anything more than that.

Danoss

I like Goodreads 5 point scale.

Didn't like it | It was OK | Liked it | Really liked it | It was amazing

I don't see the point in having anything more than that.

Yep, otherwise it seems to end up like this:

Didn't like it | Didn't like it | Didn't like it | Didn't like it | Didn't like it | Didn't like it | It was OK | Liked it | Really liked it | It was amazing

Gazunta

Also Gaz, you've been on more junkets to the states than all but two people i know. The world's smallest violin is shipping according to fedex. BTW, Molyneux's cancelled his talk so your cab is safe.
YES MOAR VIOLINS I MUST HAVE THEM ALL TO EASE MY PAIN

I guess Molyneux cancelled after the Fable Heroes shots went online LOLOLOLOL

Very happy to hear you and Mrs Clive are having fun. :)

Jintor

Okay, what is this fucking shit. Download gamergate ME3 file, wants me to start Origin. Start origin, make an account, already have an account despite never touching Origin. Recover password, login, accidentally close ME3 download and delete installation files thinking it already installed to Origin, no it didn't, fuck. Redownload ME3 from Gamersgate. Two hours later, download completes, wants me to put product key into Origin to install. Put product key in. Apparently wrong product key, but adds ME3 to my account. Try to install ME3. It wants me to fucking download 10 gigs again.

Fuck me. This is why I fucking use Steam. Because I don't have to deal with bullshit like this.

Salazar

251Ez.jpg

What the fuck is that expression

Okay, what is this fucking shit. Download gamergate ME3 file, wants me to start Origin. Start origin, make an account, already have an account despite never touching Origin. Recover password, login, accidentally close ME3 download and delete installation files thinking it already installed to Origin, no it didn't, fuck. Redownload ME3 from Gamersgate. Two hours later, download completes, wants me to put product key into Origin to install. Put product key in. Apparently wrong product key, but adds ME3 to my account. Try to install ME3. It wants me to fucking download 10 gigs again.

Fuck me. This is why I fucking use Steam. Because I don't have to deal with bullshit like this.

Nope. You are a Nazi and a Steam fanboy. Support the little guys otherwise Steam with have us in a stranglehold and suddenly consumers will be getting fucked in the arse. Didn't you play Monopoly? That is a shit situation to be in!

evlcookie

but ever so delicious

Why did you do it the hard way?

What would you have done if the game was a steam title? You would have entered the serial into steam. Why didn't you just do that with origin since it's an origin only title and works the exact same way?

At least with origin you can point to where your ME3/Game is installed and play from there. Which is nice.

Jintor

Because it wanted me to download it and I stupidly assumed that was for customer convenience instead of to fuck them up. Maybe it should have told me that shit. I wasn't going to go hunting for it.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Because it wanted me to download it and I stupidly assumed that was for customer convenience instead of to fuck them up. Maybe it should have told me that shit. I wasn't going to go hunting for it.

I'm sure you *could* install it from the exe and then simply add the serial to origin while pointing the origin directory to the previously installed one.

It's not overly simple but it's certainly possible.

Don't shoot me, shoot dan

For reference, I think Dan gave ME2 a 10/10. Not sure though.
Correct. Mass Effect 2 was great.

That structure combined with ME3's combat mechanics, combined with ME1's plot, would be the perfect Mass Effect game.

(Before you ask, 10/10 is not perfect)

Ive driven through Tenderloin twice in the last few days. Not ever setting foot there.
Been to new york, london, Boston, LA and drove through Compton. More than anywhere else ive been, Tenderloin looks like The Wire. Oh it its only a few blocks from our hotel in union square.
I never really felt unsafe in the Tenderloin. 'Twas just my wife and I there in a little tacqueria at sundown and it was fantastic. On the walk back there were a few unsavoury-looking people but nothing worse than, say, Fitzroy.

We stayed in, I think, the Nikko, which wasn't too bad.

Oh and we walked through Golden Gate Park in the late afternoon which was pretty funny too.

Jintor

I'm sure you *could* install it from the exe and then simply add the serial to origin while pointing the origin directory to the previously installed one.

It's not overly simple but it's certainly possible.

No, the install file installs via Origin, so the first gate is activating the product key.

Shaneus

I thought you were the one that linked on here an article and video of some site reporting that it officially would boot into Android and Win7?
Yeah, but on the same build. To have both ICS and Win7 or Win8 as selectable operating systems on a whim.
I know that there's a spare mPCI-E slot on the non-3G models so there may be a way to get another mSATA/PCI-E storage device and select between those two or something.

But, it's a new toy to play with so I'm excited either way!

hamchan

Just did a pretty awesome sidequest in ME3. Also turned up the difficulty to hardcore and battles are now fun instead of being snoozefests. I guess it was just the start of the game that was awful.

8 hours into the game now and it's easily equal to or better than ME2 quality now. The first 3 hours of the game really is quite terrible imo. I think it was the level design and the quite cutscenes/dialogue, plus the graphics initially looked horrible to me on my PS3 version yet now they look fine later in the game. Dunno why there's such a big quality jump from the opening to everything else.

YES MOAR VIOLINS I MUST HAVE THEM ALL TO EASE MY PAIN

I guess Molyneux cancelled after the Fable Heroes shots went online LOLOLOLOL

Very happy to hear you and Mrs Clive are having fun. :)

Megaton- Good Golly Miss Molly- Molyneux leaving MS!

ta, good time apart from the lack of cat

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
iPad 3! And with it brings the slow death of mobile / touch gaming. Who is excited!?

I do hope the apple tv is jailbreakable, since then it's actually useful. Hopefully next week we find out what hardware is inside of it as well. At least it does 1080p, yay.

Now to hide from apple fanboys for the next few weeks as its going to be hyperbole plenty all over the place. I do wonder if any oldies will come into work today to throw down a preorder for the iPad 3. I'm expecting it to be busy for the guys out front.

Unity toolkits free for Android & iOS platforms until April 8th

So don't think I have food poisoning. Just horrible stomach pains. Could it be an ulcer? I have never had this kind of run of sickness in my life, moving down here to this job has been horrible on my body for some reason. All I know is that my stomach hurts when I move, actually more like around my stomach, sometimes up the top of my belly sometimes on the sides, etc.

Yeah, token yearly update to keep the hype wheel spinning. That is about it.

Also, lol @ all the threads in gaming about portable gaming.

THE SKY IS FALLING! BOW DOWN TO YOUR iOS GODS WHILE YOU STILL CAN!

Apple TV appeals to me more than the iPad, although the potential is still largely locked for now. In another 5 years I can see them making a push on the consoles with Apple TV. They seem to like taking their time about these things, make someone else make the huge risky leap forward and then improve upon their execution.

Does anyone remember the price of the 16gb iPad 2, I think we got a slight price drop on the new iPad in Aus?

Edit: found the info, previously the 16gb was $579, so that's a $40 drop on the base model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom