• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1Up Show 5.11 (The Darkness, Pokemon, Left 4 Dead, Halo 2 Humpday Challenge)

Loved Left4Dead it looks awesome hell it looks more than awesome.
Pokemon though was kinda meh I thought in this game we would have animated sprites.

Doel

This has probably been asked before, but what kind of Samsung TVs were those in the Halo 2 segment? I'm looking for a new tv for my dorm and those look pretty good.

todayzee

Left 4 Dead looks alright .. disappointed to see the zombies are runners, but it looks intense. Bad graphics, but who cares. Could be something to look out for.

Really? You prefer shambling slow zombies that are easy to run from and easier to kill? Well, we can just agree to disagree.
Left 4 Dead is just amazing. I loved it and can't wait to play more of it.

Also, Frankie is a master of spin, but a poor loser. The best part is that Bungie wanted to call that first game the "Practice Game." It was their idea to start with.

We are currently furiously pouring through the video to find where they said this, but I fear that it was in the lobby where we have no tech to grab audio. We'll have all four matches (THE PRACTICE MATCH and the THREE REAL GAMES) up at gamevideos.com later and I'll post when that happens. :)

xxoo

Muppet345

todayzee said:
Really? You prefer shambling slow zombies that are easy to run from and easier to kill? Well, we can just agree to disagree.
It's just what makes a zombie a zombie, really. I enjoyed the Dawn of the Dead remake but zombies that run are basically bipedal animals. They wouldn't be much easier to kill if the humans weren't also so incredibly fast. Power of the horde and all. Still interested.

mood

Such a good episode this week, great games and the Humpday was awesome. I think anyone that plays Halo knows what it feels like to play as a team like that and pull out some awesome wins.

Left 4 Dead, I said wow.

Doel

Left 4 Dead seems incredible. I have a crappy PC so I hope this shows up on 360/PS3 at the same time it comes to PC.

todayzee

Kevar said:
It's just what makes a zombie a zombie, really. I enjoyed the Dawn of the Dead remake but zombies that run are basically bipedal animals. They wouldn't be much easier to kill if the humans weren't also so incredibly fast. Power of the horde and all. Still interested.

I certainly have no wish to derail the thread, but I'd argue that what makes a Zombie a zombie is the fact that they have been stripped of their humanity and rendered into nothing but heartless, soulless animals bent on killing and eating. That's why the only way to kill them -- through out all sorts of different Zombie mythologies through different time periods and cultures -- it is almost always to kill the brain. That is part of what makes them terrifying, too. Why would they be slower just because they're dead? Technically they could be just as fast and more dangerous because our brain needs those support systems -- the heart, stomach, kidneys, that other thing, and the squishy thing, and um... the skin -- Zombies will keep coming even when you destroy all of that that. They don't need to stop running because they are tired and need air - they don't even need lungs.

So, yeah, I dig the heck out of fast moving zombies. Not smart Zombies, though. Or Zombies that play the tuba.

xxoo

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Doel said:
Left 4 Dead seems incredible. I have a crappy PC so I hope this shows up on 360/PS3 at the same time it comes to PC.
It's coming to the 360.

Muppet345

todayzee said:
So, yeah, I dig the heck out of fast moving zombies. Not smart Zombies, though. Or Zombies that play the tuba.

xxoo
Ok, rephrase, when it comes to videogames, it's what makes a zombie a zombie to me, because otherwise it's just a usual monster from any generic game. There's not much difference between a fast zombie and Serious Sam's hordes of brainless villains, for example. Slow and large numbers define zombies to me. Again, still interested, just not my preference.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Which one do I pick for my ipod (yes I'm new at this be nice). Will the high quality QT version work or do I need to grab the low quality one?

[CFD] El Capitan said:
Yeah after the credits was great....except i was expecting luke to be like...."yeah i start my job at bungie next week..and then you guys will really be screwed at the next match."
You really thought that would happen like that? Lame. Luke needs to be on a motocross bike, and jump through flames, land and yell: I'M LEAVING 1UP FOR RARE!

kenta

Has no PEINS
The Darkness finally clicked with me, it finally looks really good. I've been waiting for that to happen, it's always kinda showed potential and I didn't quite get the tentacles thing but I really liked all that footage they showed. If the PS3 version ends up nice (stable/competent multiplayer included), I can definitely see myself picking it up

Left 4 Dead looks surprisingly awesome, too, Turtle Rock really turned it around from Condition Zero

Doel

bud said:
did anyone watch the part where it said pc/360...
I know its coming to 360, but I said I hope it shows up at the same time as the PC version. Since this is primarily a PC game, I'm not so sure that both versions will show up at the same time.

Slo

todayzee said:
Why would they be slower just because they're dead? Technically they could be just as fast and more dangerous because our brain needs those support systems -- the heart, stomach, kidneys, that other thing, and the squishy thing, and um... the skin -- Zombies will keep coming even when you destroy all of that that. They don't need to stop running because they are tired and need air - they don't even need lungs.

xxoo

:lol :lol :lol Yeah, why would muscle tissue stop working just because there's no oxygen and/or glycogen? Why would tissue stiffen up after rigor mortis sets in? :lol :lol :lol

Zombies are like religion. If you're going to suspend your disbelief, you got to do it all the way. You can't try to apply logic after you've already thrown it out the window!

todayzee

Slo said:
:lol :lol :lol Yeah, why would muscle tissue stop working just because there's no oxygen and/or glycogen? Why would tissue stiffen up after rigor mortis sets in? :lol :lol :lol

Zombies are like religion. If you're going to suspend your disbelief, you got to do it all the way. You can't try to apply logic after you've already thrown it out the window!

Ha! Fair enough. Let's agree to throw the Zombies out the window. I bet all that congealed gunk inside makes a mighty satisfying SPLAT.

I also agree that when the REAL Zombpocalypse happens that I hope they are slow ones, but when I fight them for pretends I like the quick ones. ;)

xxoo

traveler

Not Wario
LukeSmith said:

Hi Agan.! Oh wait, that's not XBL, that's...something else.

I won't finish it, so you may be spared the thousands of fans bound to find you. Do you really want some heralds, though? You know, to announce your return?

Nameless

Left 4 Dead is going to be in****ingsane!!! It just instantly shot up to my top 10 most anticipated..

One thing they didn't mention, but do you turn into a zombie after killed by one(s).

todayzee

Buttonbasher said:
You really thought that would happen like that? Lame. Luke needs to be on a motocross bike, and jump through flames, land and yell: I'M LEAVING 1UP FOR RARE!

Strangely enough, we were all set to shoot exactly that, but then Luke said he wasn't really happy with how the fire looked. Not "next-gen" enough for him.

Next time maybe!

xxoo

todayzee said:
Strangely enough, we were all set to shoot exactly that, but then Luke said he wasn't really happy with how the fire looked. Not "next-gen" enough for him.

Next time maybe!

xxoo
Ah. Needed more sparks eh? It happens to the best of us...

todayzee

Nameless said:
Left 4 Dead is going to be in****ingsane!!! It just instantly shot up to my top 10 most anticipated..

One thing they didn't mention, but do you turn into a zombie after killed by one(s).

Nope -- the Survivors are naturally immune. They'll knock you down and hurt you, bite you and so forth, but you're one of the few unlucky bastards who don't turn into one of those monsters.
However, you can play as the boss infected - the Boomer, Tank, Hunter, and Smoker. You're going after the team of survivors... we didn't get to play that part, but we hope we can...soon!!!

xxoo

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
:lol @ luke using the needler. noob

but KUDOS for drinking the beer of the gods, sierra nevada

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Left 4 Dead sounds awesome, the 'director' bit especially is something I've wished for in a game for aaaaaaages.

Cant wait to scream like a girl every 5 minutes while playing.

Danielsan

Left4Dead looks so awsome. I had little expectations of the game at first but it is on my must have list now. People may dislike the fast zombies but I think it only adds to the suspense. If there is one thing more fearsome than a mob of zombies stumbeling your way it would a mob of zombies running over cars climbing over fences just to rip the flesh of your bones.

However I do wonder if the game will have a singleplayer component and if it has I'm interested to see how that will work concidering the heavy emphasis on teamwork the game has.

Slo said:

Well the original zombie mythos was from the Voodoo religion and where the body was actually alive you just had no mind and/or soul.

Slo

Prime crotch said:
Well the original zombie mythos was from the Voodoo religion and where the body was actually alive you just had no mind and/or soul.

I blame videogames.

todayzee

Danielsan said:
Left4Dead looks so awsome. I had little expectations of the game at first but it is on my must have list now. People may dislike the fast zombies but I think it only adds to the suspense. If there is one thing more fearsome than a mob of zombies stumbeling your way it would a mob of zombies running over cars climbing over fences just to rip the flesh of your bones.

However I do wonder if the game will have a singleplayer component and if it has I'm interested to see how that will work concidering the heavy emphasis on teamwork the game has.

The singleplayer is the same with the super-excellent AI controlling the other three members of your team.

When we played one of the members of the four survivors was AI controlled and Ryan and I didn't know that until they told us after the match. I couldn't tell the whole time. :)

xxoo

todayzee

Prime crotch said:

Actually, original zombie mythos is older. Egyptians had lots of fear of the dead rising -- hence lots of tombs and so forth. Really, you could argue the first super famous zombie was Jesus. He got up after he died, too.

xxoo

Danielsan

todayzee said:
The singleplayer is the same with the super-excellent AI controlling the other three members of your team.

When we played one of the members of the four survivors was AI controlled and Ryan and I didn't know that until they told us after the match. I couldn't tell the whole time. :)

xxoo
Sounds to good to be true, I can't wait :)

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
todayzee said:
Actually, original zombie mythos is older. Egyptians had lots of fear of the dead rising -- hence lots of tombs and so forth. Really, you could argue the first super famous zombie was Jesus. He got up after he died, too.

xxoo

44a6bd4d.gif

jet1911

I need to play Halo 2 MP with the game's soundtrack. Seems to make everything more epic. Oh yeah and L4D looks really, really awesome.

Left 4 Dead surely looks awesome, but there's not enough Darkness love in this thread. This was the first I'd seen/heard of this game, and holy shit it makes me want an Xbox 360.

Top Bottom