• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT2| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Andrea Bargnani

Average weight is meaningless in this context, it's like dividing the national debt by all households and complaining that the average share is so much higher than it used to be.

What were the weights of the most competitive teams at the time, the weights of the teams they faced in the playoffs and in the championships? That's what's germane to this argument. And that's operating on the premise that more weight = stiffer competition, irregardless of height and whether that's fat or muscle we're talking about. Basically you're taking a very narrow and misleading statistic and misrepresenting its importance.

Your analogy is meaningless, what are you even trying to say with that spiel?

How is average weight meaningless? How would looking at only playoff teams do anything other the obfuscate a conversation about how the average NBA player is significantly bigger than they were in the 90s. And less athletic. Average weight is one objective measure, if you want I can point out some more for you to put your best bit of spin on.

I really didn't even know what makes this so controversial, other than some homerism of the 90s. It pretty a pretty common consensus that this new age of sports medicine is eons beyond where it was a couple decades ago. Its alot easier to get big these days, which in turns to players being alot bigger. For reference, 11 pounds is 2 or 3 of most weight classes in boxing. Thats pretty decisively bigger in a sport.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Your analogy is meaningless, what are you even trying to say with that spiel?

How is average weight meaningless? How would looking at only playoff teams do anything other the obfuscate a conversation about how the average NBA player is significantly bigger than they were in the 90s. And less athletic. Average weight is one objective measure, if you want I can point out some more for you to put your best bit of spin on.

I really didn't even know what makes this so controversial, other than some homerism of the 90s. It pretty a pretty common consensus that this new age of sports medicine is eons beyond where it was a couple decades ago. Its alot easier to get big these days, which in turns to players being alot bigger. For reference, 11 pounds is 2 or 3 of most weight classes in boxing. Thats pretty decisively bigger in a sport.

Worked out great for Roy Jones Jr

Trying to talk down to me by calling me "sport," it's cute when you try that. Shows how immature you actually are. If you're actually 30, you're memory might be going bad then. MVP in 88.
DPOY in 88
Scoring champ 87-92/93(cant remember which year off the top of my head)
Gold Medal in 84?

NBA voters STOPPED giving him MVPs because he had too many.

All against no competition too!

Don't forget that he never quit on his team in a playoff game, and didn't throw a temper tantrum on his way to the locker room by ripping his jersey off!
MJ didn't bail to a new team to play with Magic or the Pistons like Lebron did to Wade and Bosh.

And when he did switch teams, he was part owner of the team he was on and was pissed off at Bulls management for breaking up the team. All after his 6 NBA titles, which would have been 8 if he didn't stop to play a completely different sport.Don't forget he was the trendsetter of the beginning of the Nike shoes hype that Lebron benefits from today!

/done with the troll

30 years old means he was 4 to 5 years old in 1988. I don't think he knew jack about 80s basketball. And you're asking him about 84 gold medal? He was sucking down milk and shitting in a diaper, don't think he remembers that. All his knowledge is based on basketball reference and Wikipedia.

It seems kind of weird that LeBron's era is held against him in some debates, but LeBron gets ranked behind Kareem and Wilt in others. Kareem's prime was in an era so bad, Dave Cowens (who was like a smaller Joakim Noah) was a perennial MVP candidate. Coaches in Wilt's era didn't even understand basic math and the players could barely dribble.

Holding Jordan's era against him doesn't seem that smart either.

Omega

Banned
It seems kind of weird that LeBron's era is held against him in some debates, but LeBron gets ranked behind Kareem and Wilt in others. Kareem's prime was in an era so bad, Dave Cowens (who was like a smaller Joakim Noah) was a perennial MVP candidate. Coaches in Wilt's era didn't even understand basic math and the players could barely dribble.

this is why comparing players from different eras doesn't really work in sports like football and basketball. There's rule changes, style changes, etc. Hypothetically saying player A would dominate in player B's era doesn't work.

for some reason these are also the only two sports where an individual is ranked on team success...but thats an entirely different discussion i guess

MVP

Banned
Worked out great for Roy Jones Jr

Yeah when he fought the perfect heavyweight for him, slow and plodding, telegraphing punches. He wasn't out there fighting Chris Byrd, David Tua, Tyson, Lennox, etc.

LVP doesn't know jack about basketball today, much less the 80s.

Have you even made any compelling arguments, or do you just come shit up the thread any time you get the urge? Just go away, thanks.

30 years old means he was 4 to 5 years old in 1988. I don't think he knew jack about 80s basketball. And you're asking him about 84 gold medal? He was sucking down milk and shitting in a diaper, don't think he remembers that. All his knowledge is based on basketball reference and Wikipedia.

The fuck do I care about 80s basketball? I know it was stronger than the 90s basketball I watched, and I know basketball today is better than it was in the 90s. That's all I need to know, and all the information out there proves MJ didn't do shit in the 80s, so my point stands.

Did you have a point to make, or did you finally buckle under the pressure of my wisdom and resorted to discussing my age instead?

The fuck do I care about 80s basketball? I know it was stronger than the 90s basketball I watched, and I know basketball today is better than it was in the 90s. That's all I need to know, and all the information out there proves MJ didn't do shit in the 80s, so my point stands.

Did you have a point to make, or did you finally buckle under the pressure of my wisdom and resorted to discussing my age instead?

Well, if you don't care about 80s basketball, then don't talk shit about Jordan in the 80s because you obviously have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
I mean, a lot of late 90s basketball was pretty bad, though. Way too many teams played some horrifically boring ball. The Knicks and Heat were probably the worst for this. Or are we just all forgetting that those "epic" series that I couldn't stand often had final scores like in the 70s.

I mean, a lot of late 90s basketball was pretty bad, though. Way too many teams played some horrifically boring ball. The Knicks and Heat were probably the worst for this. Or are we just all forgetting that those "epic" series that I couldn't stand often had final scores like in the 70s.

what are you talking about

just all time-great defenses!

Omega

Banned

10's basketball is just as boring. Only reason I even watch basketball these days is to watch LeBron.

Could just be that I hate how the big man is completely irrelevant these days. Tim Duncan is like 50 and he's still the best center in the league.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
10's basketball is just as boring. Only reason I even watch basketball these days is to watch LeBron.

Could just be that I hate how the big man is completely irrelevant these days. Tim Duncan is like 50 and he's still the best center in the league.

It might be that I mostly watch the West, which is possible now with League Pass, but I would say that it's more entertaining today than it was 15 years ago. There are far fewer teams making a deliberate decision to slow it down and thug it up than back then, and I don't have to watch those teams. I can just skip over like the entire Central division. Thank god.

zychi

Banned
Has Zychi replaced Triple Poo as the new Bulls LLLL

I've been here a few years, but don't post much in the NBA thread. Don't expect it once the regular season starts.

I think Lebron is top 5/6 all time already(until the NBA starts testing for HGH and his body breaks down completely)

MJ,
Russel,
Magic/Bird,
maybe Kobe(haven't decided yet because I hate him).

Lebron is right there. He get's a third, and he surpasses Kobe to me, no doubt about it.

Forever

Banned
The preseason begins. My body is ready.

KJnk9.gif%20

Livingston is looking good out there against Wall.

LOL Wizards fans still haven't gotten over Blatche.

Man people are sleeping on Detroit. I knew people were crazy when they said they wouldn't make the playoffs, but that front court had me shook. Monroe is just...fuck.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Man people are sleeping on Detroit. I knew people were crazy when they said they wouldn't make the playoffs, but that front court had me shook. Monroe is just...fuck.

man plz

Wall just fucking sucks and your coach is an idiot

Top Bottom