• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT2| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Andrea Bargnani

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
The argument is very valid (and also derived from a post on RealGM). Who was Jordan's competition during his title runs?

John Starks? Reggie Miller? Clyde Drexler? Nick Anderson? Penny Hardaway? Sick Magic?

His team made it to the 2nd round without him, so he wasn't exactly playing with a bunch of scrubs. Meanwhile, he lost in the 1st round multiple times, something Lebron never did. He also never dragged a bag of scrubs to the Finals, something Lebron managed to do.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the public that Jordan beat great teams. His two most-iconic shots were over Craig Elo and Byron Russell. Yeah.... I get the feeling that with all this Jordan idol-worship, he could rub his dick all over your faces and you'd beg him for seconds.

You can call me a Lebron mark or whatever, but I just maintain that sports and athletes get better with time. In 20 years, I'll be called a stan for whatever great player is playing then, and I'll have to raise this same point with Lebron fanatics who refuse to let go of the past. Jordan was the GOAT. Was. His reign is just about up. PEACE.
The teams of the 90s were just better than today.. and it's not like there are many match ups equal to LBJ.. Gay? Melo? come on..

The argument is very valid (and also derived from a post on RealGM). Who was Jordan's competition during his title runs?

John Starks? Reggie Miller? Clyde Drexler? Nick Anderson? Penny Hardaway? Sick Magic?

His team made it to the 2nd round without him, so he wasn't exactly playing with a bunch of scrubs. Meanwhile, he lost in the 1st round multiple times, something Lebron never did. He also never dragged a bag of scrubs to the Finals, something Lebron managed to do.

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the public that Jordan beat great teams. His two most-iconic shots were over Craig Elo and Byron Russell. Yeah.... I get the feeling that with all this Jordan idol-worship, he could rub his dick all over your faces and you'd beg him for seconds.

You can call me a Lebron mark or whatever, but I just maintain that sports and athletes get better with time. In 20 years, I'll be called a stan for whatever great player is playing then, and I'll have to raise this same point with Lebron fanatics who refuse to let go of the past. Jordan was the GOAT. Was. His reign is just about up. PEACE.

And Lebron's greatest shots were what exactly?

And the current heat couldn't go to the second round without Bron in the East in the last 3 seasons?

Lebron's first trip to the Finals was a glorious failure ( his 2nd one was too, but for different reasons), as it has been mentioned the road to the finals was laughable in the east that year, which is why SA swept.

The argument is invalid and almost immediately outs you as not knowing much.

Pimpwerx

The teams of the 90s were just better than today.. and it's not like there are many match ups equal to LBJ.. Gay? Melo? come on..

The teams were better before expansion. Afterwards, that's highly questionable. However, that's a silly argument because expansion affected all teams, not just a few.

The competition Lebron faces at his position is already leagues better than what Jordan did. Name Jordan's competition on the perimeter, and try not to dip into the 80s too much to try to make a point. Playing against guys nearing retirement doesn't mean squat.

You name Gay. Why not Durant or Pierce? Are you really trying to be honest, or just omitting names intentionally? Name anyone Jordan faced at his position that was even close to Durant. Also, yes, I'd say Melo is a sight better than anyone you can name that was Jordan's peer at the SG position. Was Jordan ever guarded by anyone remotely as good defensively as Paul George or Kawhi Leonard? I'm not even gonna mention Jimmy Butler, because I think he's a SG. Ironically, one of the best guys to guard Jordan was a PG.

The best part of this is you're looking at those teams Jordan played through the foggy lens of nostalgia, and remembering names after they've had their full careers to establish their reputations and legacies, versus Lebron who's still writing his legacy against guys who are his age or younger. There's a reason Jordan's numbers blew up in the Finals, and it wasn't just because of his insatiable will and whatever bs passes for his memoirs these days. It's also because he played teams that were almost always overmatched. Was Jordan ever an underdog going into the Finals? 1991 was probably the closest, and I don't think they were underdogs even then. I mean, the Lakers were coached by washout Dunleavy, and short of a Perkins miracle, they'd have been swept.

The names on the rosters glow brighter now, because we know more about those guys from back then. Give it some time and the names of today will shine just as bright. Legends are always produced through memories, not the present, but Lebron's current trajectory is already phenomenal. He's started dominating the league from an earlier age than MJ did. Jordan's days on top of the all-time list are numbered, and he knows it well. That's why he's been talking crazy the last couple of years. His fans don't need to drink that koolaid too though. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

And Lebron's greatest shots were what exactly?

And the current heat couldn't go to the second round without Bron in the East in the last 3 seasons?

Lebron's first trip to the Finals was a glorious failure ( his 2nd one was too, but for different reasons), as it has been mentioned the road to the finals was laughable in the east that year, which is why SA swept.

The argument is invalid and almost immediately outs you as not knowing much.

Iconic shots can be compiled after a career is complete. I used that to point out the competition he faced. Those were some of the guys tasked with guarding Jordan in critical moments of playoff games. Get it? Oh wait...you don't.

I never said that, so why are you even bringing it up? I pointed out that Jordan TOO played with a great cast. You really don't understand anything.

Jordan never took a bad team to the Finals. You think Jordan would have taken that Cavs team to the Finals, even in the conference you think was so weak? Really? REALLY?!?

Perhaps you need to come back to this discussion when the smell of Similac is off your breath, because the reality of what happened in Jordan's time predates you by...I'd say a good fucking decade. PEACE.

Iconic shots can be compiled after a career is complete. I used that to point out the competition he faced. Those were some of the guys tasked with guarding Jordan in critical moments of playoff games. Get it? Oh wait...you don't.

I never said that, so why are you even bringing it up? I pointed out that Jordan TOO played with a great cast. You really don't understand anything.

Jordan never took a bad team to the Finals. You think Jordan would have taken that Cavs team to the Finals, even in the conference you think was so weak? Really? REALLY?!?

Perhaps you need to come back to this discussion when the smell of Similac is off your breath, because the reality of what happened in Jordan's time predates you by...I'd say a good fucking decade. PEACE.

You named two players to show weak competition Jordan faced even though one of those shots weren't even in 1 of Jordan's 6 title runs...OK. I get what you're doing, it's just stupid is all, but we all expect that from you.

You say his squad went to the 2nd round without him to demonstrate his team was good without him...something literally no one will argue. Those Bulls teams were some of the best ever.

If Jordan could take that Cavs team to a Finals in that era is all fantasy BS that can't be proven or disproven. Not really worth wasting time discussing. But the conference was really weak at the time and that was further shown by how easily SA tore through them. LETSBOUNCE.

Blackace

The teams were better before expansion. Afterwards, that's highly questionable. However, that's a silly argument because expansion affected all teams, not just a few.

The competition Lebron faces at his position is already leagues better than what Jordan did. Name Jordan's competition on the perimeter, and try not to dip into the 80s too much to try to make a point. Playing against guys nearing retirement doesn't mean squat.

You name Gay. Why not Durant or Pierce? Are you really trying to be honest, or just omitting names intentionally? Name anyone Jordan faced at his position that was even close to Durant. Also, yes, I'd say Melo is a sight better than anyone you can name that was Jordan's peer at the SG position. Was Jordan ever guarded by anyone remotely as good defensively as Paul George or Kawhi Leonard? I'm not even gonna mention Jimmy Butler, because I think he's a SG. Ironically, one of the best guys to guard Jordan was a PG.

The best part of this is you're looking at those teams Jordan played through the foggy lens of nostalgia, and remembering names after they've had their full careers to establish their reputations and legacies, versus Lebron who's still writing his legacy against guys who are his age or younger. There's a reason Jordan's numbers blew up in the Finals, and it wasn't just because of his insatiable will and whatever bs passes for his memoirs these days. It's also because he played teams that were almost always overmatched. Was Jordan ever an underdog going into the Finals? 1991 was probably the closest, and I don't think they were underdogs even then. I mean, the Lakers were coached by washout Dunleavy, and short of a Perkins miracle, they'd have been swept.

The names on the rosters glow brighter now, because we know more about those guys from back then. Give it some time and the names of today will shine just as bright. Legends are always produced through memories, not the present, but Lebron's current trajectory is already phenomenal. He's started dominating the league from an earlier age than MJ did. Jordan's days on top of the all-time list are numbered, and he knows it well. That's why he's been talking crazy the last couple of years. His fans don't need to drink that koolaid too though. PEACE.

PP is hardly the player he was.. and KD isn't a good defender.

Joe Dumars is considered one of the greatest sg defenders of all time

Cylde made MJ work on both sides like KD for LBJ..

And the big men who clogged the lane.. pfft. LBJ has little to worry about that

91 The Lakers were heavily favored.. they mashed the west to get the finals, and were suppose to smash the Bulls... While the Heat played the role of of the Lakers to the mavs

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Who's Lebron's competition at the SF spot? I'll give you Durant, and then after that it's... Carmelo? Please.

reilo

man, the lack of respect for THE GLIDE in here is pretty sad

Yeah... or Drazen, or Dominique. Plus, Jordan also played in the era of Magic, Bird, Isiah, and co. Who was his competition at the time? All of them.

Who's the second most accomplished SF of the '00s? Paul Pierce? Great, thanks.

h3ro

It's time to bring back the Gallo vs Beasley debates.

5WuHol.jpg

Why don't more people talk about how small players where back in the 90s vs today? Or how athletic players are now compared to then. The average player weight today is 10lbs heavier than it was in 1990. You put Lebron there and he would body people even worse than he does now.

Sports medicine today shist on the 90s.

reilo

I have yet to see a big man that moves as well or was as athletic as Shaquille or Hakeem in their primes today. Who even comes close? Yeah, you got Marc and Hibbert who are giants, but they are slow and don't get off the floor -- especially Hibbert.

Dwight is extremely athletic but the dude is short for a center and not very coordinated -- even a past his prime Shaq embarrassed him. Bosh would get eaten up alive by say Buck Williams.

I think the wing players might be bigger and more athletic today, especially at point-guard, but even then, I doubt a guy like Wade or Harden can measure up to Jordan and Drexler athletically.

Why don't more people talk about how small players where back in the 90s vs today? Or how athletic players are now compared to then. The average player weight today is 10lbs heavier than it was in 1990. You put Lebron there and he would body people even worse than he does now.

What you mean to say is that HGH today shits on the 90s. Michael Jordan was a Bull. LeBron is roided up like one.

MVP

Banned
Lebron's first trip to the Finals was a glorious failure

This is probably the most rage-inducing thing people say about Lebron. He took a shitty team to the Finals at 22, that in itself is an accomplishment. What was MJ doing at 22? Oh right, getting bounced in the 1st round with his "incredible killer instinct". GTFO of the playoffs MJ, you're not good enough.

Ok ok, you don't want an age comparison? Lebron took the shitty lowly ass Cavs to the Finals in his 4th year in the league, what was MJ doing in his 4th year in the league? Oh right, getting past the 1st round for the first time after 3 straight 1st round exits, and then getting bounced out in the 2nd round. GTFO of the playoffs MJ, your supposed all-time great killer insinct don't mean shit here, out of the playoffs, goodbye, try again next year.

Yeah... or Drazen, or Dominique. Plus, Jordan also played in the era of Magic, Bird, Isiah, and co. Who was his competition at the time? All of them.

LOL just because their careers happened to cross a bit doesn't qualify as him "playing in that era". He didn't do shit against any of them until they were pretty much finished, hence him not winning a damn thing until 7 years in the league.

That's like if in the future when people talk about Kobe Bryant's career, an argument is made that "he played In Michael Jordan's era and still won 5 rings! MJ was his competition!". How about no LOL

reilo

Jordan literally played against those guys in the playoffs. Kobe never faced Jordan in the playoffs. Not sure what crack you are smoking.

MVP

Banned
Jordan literally played against those guys in the playoffs. Kobe never faced Jordan in the playoffs. Not sure what crack you are smoking.

Oh did he? How'd he do against them while they were anywhere near their prime? Just go take another bong hit and relax. Come back later today when you make sense.

reilo

Your original point was that those guys were never Jordan's competition and that he never challenged them... and now when I pointed out that they were in fact, his competition, you go ahead and argue... what exactly?

Also, for someone that is adamant that Lebron never had anyone good play next to him, can you name the second best player on the 1986 Bulls team?

MVP

Banned
Your original point was that those guys were never Jordan's competition and that he never challenged them... and now when I pointed out that they were in fact, his competition, you go ahead and argue... what exactly?

Also, for someone that is adamant that Lebron never had anyone good play next to him, can you name the second best player on the 1986 Bulls team?

Whoever it was, they were probably better than the Cavs 2nd best player when Lebron was singlehandedly taking them deep in the playoffs.

Old ass Elgin Baylor?

lmao never mind I meant george gervin. I know Jordan played with another star who was slightly out of his prime

MVP

Banned

No, my original point, and I even said as such, was that occasionally crossing paths with them didn't qualify as playing in the Magic and Bird era. If MJ had his accomplishments in the 80s, we wouldn't be having this conversation, but that's why I say I'm not so sure MJ is even better than Magic or Bird. They played against some real competition.

Who was the biggest and baddest in MJ's time? Karl Malone? Lebron is Karl Malone's size but plays like Magic. LBJ in MJ's era would just run over that league. Oooooh no, maybe Gary Payton can stop him hahahaha

zychi

Banned
LeBron-James-Oscar-Worthy-Flop.jpg

lebron-james-flop-227x260.jpg

remember when MJ flopped when those terrible 90s competition would barely touch him? (apparently the dream team didnt exist in the 90s).
Never mind the hesitation his entire career to take the big shot.

I'm gonna guess that Mr. Troll is under 20 and has never seen MJ play as a Bull. Can we kill this thread now? Preseason has started

reilo

Michael Jordan played 6 seasons in the 80s == "Never played in the 80s".

Karl Malone as the biggest bad in the 90s? Wow, you were born in 1995.

remember when MJ flopped when those terrible 90s competition would barely touch him? (apparently the dream team didnt exist in the 90s).

I'm gonna guess that Mr. Troll is under 20 and has never seen MJ play as a Bull. Can we kill this thread now? Preseason has started

He wouldn't flop. He would just bitch about every call though.

I just think this is a really stupid debate, especially on a place like here. This is an NBA thread but...it's also a little special lol. People hardly really argue with an open mind/objectivity and even to those who do, nobody really knows because it will never happen.

It's basically now just fans rehashing the same points and then declaring its value or lack thereof

And yes, Beasley vs. Gallo debates are far superior than Jordan vs. LeBron debates

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Oh did he? How'd he do against them while they were anywhere near their prime? Just go take another bong hit and relax. Come back later today when you make sense.

Well he scored 63 points after missing most of the year and playing against the best team in the league and probably one of top 3 teams ever.

As for the 2nd best player of the '86 team lol a very younf Oakley, a washed Gervin, Woodridge, or PAxon?? That was one shitty team bro lol

Also the fact that LBJ took that team to finals says more about his competition than Lebron.

Blackace

Shooting guard

2008-2009
Kobe Bryant 6’6” 220
Dwyane Wade 6’4” 212
Brandon Roy 6'6 215
Andre Iguodala 6’6” 207
Tracy McGrady 6’8” 223
Kevin Martin 6’7” 185
Ben Gordon 6’3” 200
Ray Allen 6'5 205
Joe Johnson 6'8 225
Manu Ginobili 6’6” 205

Average height/weight: ~6’6” 209

1989-90
Michael Jordan 6’6” 200
Clyde Drexler 6’7” 222
Reggie Miller 6’7” 195
Joe Dumars 6’3” 195
Mitch Richmond 6’5” 220
Ron Harper 6’6” 215
Rolando Blackmon 6’6” 190
Jeff Malone 6’4” 205
Hersey Hawkins 6’3” 190

Average height/weight: ~6’5.3” 203.5

yeah let's talk about how much bigger ever one is now..

reilo

Guards from the 80s and 90s shit themselves dead when they imagine a scenario that they had to play against the likes of Joe Johnson and Andre Iguodala.

MVP

Banned
LeBron-James-Oscar-Worthy-Flop.jpg

lebron-james-flop-227x260.jpg

Here's MJ acting like a freight truck hit him when in reality it was just a standard defensive play. Hey, MJ had to do what he had to do against the Pistons who kept owning his overrated ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nli62-Uhsls

And Mr. Troll is close to 30, now run along and go play in the NHL thread, sport.

Michael Jordan played 6 seasons in the 80s == "Never played in the 80s".

Karl Malone as the biggest bad in the 90s? Wow, you were born in 1995.

Don't put quotes around some shit I never said as if it's a direct quote. Wow, you really can't read. I said he didn't accomplish anything in the 80s against the strong players in that era, while they were in or even close to their prime.

reilo

Then by that token, Lebron in the '00s was a bigger failure -- he didn't even make it to the playoffs until his third year in the league. Jordan went to the playoffs his rookie year and won MVP by his 4th. Lebron didn't win MVP until his 6th season. What a loser.

MVP

Banned
Then by that token, Lebron in the '00s was a bigger failure -- he didn't even make it to the playoffs until his third year in the league. Jordan went to the playoffs his rookie year and won MVP by his 4th. Lebron didn't win MVP until his 6th season. What a loser.

Easy to make the playoffs in such a weak league. In 86-87 the Bulls were 40-42 and made the playoffs LMAO

reilo

Easy to make the playoffs in such a weak league. In 86-87 the Bulls were 40-42 and made the playoffs LMAO

Which is more wins than the Heat's first round opponent in the last playoffs...

MVP

Banned
Which is more wins than the Heat's first round opponent in the last playoffs...

Ok, so in your words, "MJ squeaking into the playoffs with 40 wins is a big accomplishment"?

4th year for Lebron: Finals
4th year for MJ: First time making it past 1st round lmao

Top Bottom