• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Offseason |OT2| The Rich Get Richer, The Poor Get Andrea Bargnani

diehard

Fleer
Ok, so in your words, "MJ squeaking into the playoffs with 40 wins is a big accomplishment"?

4th year for Lebron: Finals
4th year for MJ: First time making it past 1st round lmao

You just said having a team with 40 wins get into the playoffs makes it a weak league.. so admit Lebron won in a weak league or take it back.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Ok, so in your words, "MJ squeaking into the playoffs with 40 wins is a big accomplishment"?

Does the NBA hand out silver medals for losing in the Finals?

zychi

Banned
Don't put quotes around some shit I never said as if it's a direct quote. Wow, you really can't read. I said he didn't accomplish anything in the 80s against the strong players in that era, while they were in or even close to their prime.

Trying to talk down to me by calling me "sport," it's cute when you try that. Shows how immature you actually are. If you're actually 30, you're memory might be going bad then. MVP in 88.
DPOY in 88
Scoring champ 87-92/93(cant remember which year off the top of my head)
Gold Medal in 84?

NBA voters STOPPED giving him MVPs because he had too many.

All against no competition too!

Don't forget that he never quit on his team in a playoff game, and didn't throw a temper tantrum on his way to the locker room by ripping his jersey off!
MJ didn't bail to a new team to play with Magic or the Pistons like Lebron did to Wade and Bosh.

And when he did switch teams, he was part owner of the team he was on and was pissed off at Bulls management for breaking up the team. All after his 6 NBA titles, which would have been 8 if he didn't stop to play a completely different sport.Don't forget he was the trendsetter of the beginning of the Nike shoes hype that Lebron benefits from today!

/done with the troll

MVP

Banned
You just said having a team with 40 wins get into the playoffs makes it a weak league.. so admit Lebron won in a weak league or take it back.

It may have been a weak league back then and a weak league now, the difference is LBJ doesn't merely "make the playoffs". It's not an accomplishment to make the playoffs in the Eastern Conference, it's an accomplishment to do some damage. MJ for all his high-flying assasin bullshit, got bounced in the first round 3 straight times. LBJ has NEVER tasted first round defeat.

And like I said before:

reilo

It's not an accomplishment to lose -- doesn't matter what round you are in.

MVP

Banned
Trying to talk down to me by calling me "sport," it's cute when you try that. Shows how immature you actually are. If you're actually 30, you're memory might be going bad then. MVP in 88.
DPOY in 88
Scoring champ 87-92/93(cant remember which year off the top of my head)
Gold Medal in 84?

NBA voters STOPPED giving him MVPs because he had too many.

All against no competition too!

Don't forget that he never quit on his team in a playoff game, and didn't throw a temper tantrum on his way to the locker room by ripping his jersey off!
MJ didn't bail to a new team to play with Magic or the Pistons like Lebron did to Wade and Bosh.

And when he did switch teams, he was part owner of the team he was on and was pissed off at Bulls management for breaking up the team. All after his 6 NBA titles, which would have been 8 if he didn't stop to play a completely different sport.Don't forget he was the trendsetter of the beginning of the Nike shoes hype that Lebron benefits from today!

/done with the troll

Leading the league in scoring and being exciting means shit if your team doesn't do anything, and the 80s were rough for the Bulls, even with Your Highness Michael Jordan.

MJ didn't have to bail and go to a new team, the Hall of Fame came to him. MJ would've stuck around and slummed it with the Cavs until his career was over? I don't think so, not the diva MJ.

And your memory is definitely going bad if you think MJ never threw a temper tantrum.

MVP

Banned
It's an accomplishment to make it to the Finals.. but its kinda taken away when you get there and play like garbage, and get stomped.

Not if you weren't even supposed to be there surrounded by a bunch of scrubs and end up going against one of the all-time great teams (Spurs).

Was Lebron supposed to take down the Spurs all by himself? With Boobie Gibsons help? LOL MJ would not have made it past the 1st round with that Cavs team, as he showed with his 3 consecutive first round exits with no help. Lebron was good enough to make it to the Finals by himself.

Sanjuro

LeBron never did anything worthy in his entire career prior to Miami. He hit some game-winning shot in a series losing effort against the Orlando Magic. That is his entire Cavaliers highlight reel.

Tom Penny

It's an accomplishment to make it to the Finals.. but its kinda taken away when you get there and play like garbage, and get stomped.

Spurs were too good but it's not Lebron's fault nobody else stepped up in the 4th quarters like he did in the Mavs series.

reilo

LeBron never did anything worthy in his entire career prior to Miami. He hit some game-winning shot in a series losing effort against the Orlando Magic. That is his entire Cavaliers highlight reel.

Dude got Ls on his jacket given to him by the likes of Hidayet Turkoglu and Jason Terry.

MVP

Banned

One of the all-time great performances Game 5 against the Pistons, Finals trip with garbage surroundings, 66 wins with garbage suroundings, two MVPs, Gold medal, 6 AllStar appearances = "nothing noteworthy"

zychi

Banned

Remember in '06 when an Eastern Conf team made the playoffs under .500?
'08, TWO teams we're under .500, ATL was a full 8 games under.
'09, det was under .500

Tough competition compared to the 90s!

Sanjuro

One of the all-time great performances Game 5 against the Pistons, Finals trip with garbage surroundings, 66 wins with garbage suroundings, two MVPs, Gold medal, 6 AllStar appearances = "nothing noteworthy"

I don't believe so, no.

MVP

Banned
'09, det was under .500

Remember in 86-87 when the Bulls with MJ made the playoffs with a 30-52 record? When the Spurs in the West made it with a 35-47 record and the Sac kings with a 37-45 record? Remember when Bullets and the Nets made it along with the Bulls with a 39-43 record?

Remember in 87-88 when the Bullets and Knicks made it with a 38-44 record, and the Spurs made it with a 31-51 record?

Oh oh, you meant the 90s.

Remember when 91-92, the East had 3 playoff teams under 500? Nets and Pacers 40-42, the Heat 38-44?

Tough road to a 3 peat! LMAO

MVP

Banned
There was even less parity in the league those days; it made it harder to win with a scrub team not.. not easier.

So then this:

'09, det was under .500

also means there was less parity so it was tougher for a scrub team to make it, yet Lebron on his own was good enough to do it. Thanks for proving my point.

diehard

Fleer
also means there was less parity so it was tougher for a scrub team to make it, yet Lebron on his own was good enough to do it. Thanks for proving my point.

No, the East is just total ass now.

Not that i care about this argument. if you think Lebron is greater than MJ then you are either a basketball moron or 12 years old, neither is worth arguing with.

MVP

Banned
No, the East is just total ass now.

Not that i care about this argument. if you think Lebron is greater than MJ then you are either a basketball moron or 12 years old, neither is worth arguing with.

But I'm neither and pretty sure I know more about the game than you, and I'm saying Lebron is better than MJ, so that makes you...?

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Last thing I will say on this. Poll the best writers, analysts and scouts. I bet a good percentage would say they would pick wade over Lebron with the game on the line. Not one will say the same about picking pippen over jordan.

MVP

Banned
Last thing I will say on this. Poll the best writers, analysts and scouts. I bet a good percentage would say they would pick wade over Lebron with the game on the line. Not one will say the same about picking pippen over jordan.

What?! I'm not sure if you're serious...We're not in 2006 anymore, I'm pretty sure 98% would pick Lebron over Wade with the game on the line at this point. That's why Wade doesn't get last second shots anymore, Lebron does, and if he's covered he'll dish it to Jesus, Battier or whoever.

Last thing I will say on this. Poll the best writers, analysts and scouts. I bet a good percentage would say they would pick wade over Lebron with the game on the line. Not one will say the same about pippen.

If it was 2-3 years ago I would probably believe that. I think perception about lebron has changed drastically since 2011. Poll those guys now and Lebron would win in a landslide.. The factors being Lebrons improvement and dwade being hobbled.

Sanjuro

I what Jerry Sloan?

and no, i said Rondo wasn't a top 5 PG when everyone was saying he was.. and i was/am right.

You were in the camp which praised Deron Whatshisname. I could never comprehend that.

Rondo IS a top five point guard, unless you believe being a point guard means scoring the most points. Rondo is probably third/forth in the league. Embarrassing FT shooter.

diehard

Fleer
You were in the camp which praised Deron Whatshisname. I could never comprehend that.

Rondo IS a top five point guard, unless you believe being a point guard means scoring the most points. Rondo is probably third/forth in the league. Embarrassing FT shooter.

Praised? lol what? I'm in the camp (Jazz fans) that actually knew what was going on.

No he isnt. Sorry.

Sanjuro

Praised? lol what? I'm in the camp (Jazz fans) that actually knew what was going on.

No he isnt. Sorry.

I know. You were in the camp of showing him the door. Championship or not, he was a staple of Jazz basketball.

Rondo? Yeah, he is. Either way, who cares now? Team is shit. Same team that believed not having a PG was better than having a backup.

yeah let's talk about how much bigger ever one is now..

Sure.

Average weight in the season of 89-90: 214 pounds
Average weight in the season of 02-03: 225 pounds
Average weight in the season of 03-04: 225 pounds

Thats an average weight. 450 players as a sample size. If you think 11 pounds doesn't matter in any sport, then I don't know what to tell you. The nba is full of twigs, and it always has been.

Forever

Banned
Sure.

Thats an average weight. 450 players as a sample size. If you think 11 pounds doesn't matter in any sport, then I don't know what to tell you. The nba is full of twigs, and it always has been.

Average weight is meaningless in this context, it's like dividing the national debt by all households and complaining that the average share is so much higher than it used to be.

What were the weights of the most competitive teams at the time, the weights of the teams they faced in the playoffs and in the championships? That's what's germane to this argument. And that's operating on the premise that more weight = stiffer competition, irregardless of height and whether that's fat or muscle we're talking about. Basically you're taking a very narrow and misleading statistic and misrepresenting its importance.

Average weight is meaningless in this context, it's like dividing the national debt by all households and complaining that the average share is so much higher than it used to be.

What were the weights of the most competitive teams at the time, the weights of the teams they faced in the playoffs and in the championships? That's what's germane to this argument. And that's operating on the premise that more weight = stiffer competition, irregardless of height and whether that's fat or muscle we're talking about. Basically you're taking a very narrow and misleading statistic and misrepresenting its importance.

Word.

Pimpwerx

The path wasn't any tougher in those days than today. Probably easier.

md2e.jpg

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_stats.html

Rank it by ORTG. Explain why 9 of the top 10 years for ORTG were the years 1984-1995.

Oh, I know...it was the age of atomic supermen, on both sides of the ball. This argument is so damn stupid, and anyone clinging to the notion that era of Jordan's dominance was some insanely strong era goes clutching for straws when you ask them to explain why that era scoring average.

That's leaguewide, and I will assure you it is not because the offensive schemes were more advanced, not because the defenses being better. Defense was worse. Playing more thuggish ball doesn't mean the defenses were better. You think Bill Lambeer would serve any real role in the modern NBA? The game is simply better right now, which is to be expected with the natural evolution of the sport. If you can't grasp that, or refuse to accept it, then fine. Facts is facts, and it's clear that teams scored more efficiently back then because the defenses were worse.

Jordan wows largely for his scoring prowess, and he usually went against guys completely overmatched in the Finals. He didn't have to worry about complex defensive systems. What Lebron is doing today is amazing. He'll be the GOAT by the end of his career, regardless of ring total. Nothing stops this train. PEACE.

Omega

Banned
The Wizards, old Pistons and NJ Nets led by the magnificent duo of Vince Carter and Mr DUI himself are equal or superior to the 80s Bucks, 80s Celtics and 80s Pistons.

...yep

Sure.

Numbers are skewed. Oliver Miller was in the league in 03/04.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I wonder how hard Heat fans will fight this fight in 2014-2015?

Top Bottom