• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlantic Hurricane season 2017 |OT|

pestul

Shit.. that's not good. I've noticed some strong cloud tops in the last couple of hours and what looks like slightly better organization. Lets hope it comes in so fast that it doesn't have enough time to form any more.

badrang

Welp water level on the bayou is already at the top, anymore it gets in the yard and the action hasn't even begun yet. Going to decide whether to evacuate soon.

Ugh 12 ft surge too.

Yeah we're projected to get rain from Nate starting tomorrow morning and I live in south jersey. Pretty nuts. Hope everyone made out ok.

mo60

So ophelia formed like earlier today and models show it wandering the atlantic for while and eventually strengthening into the tenth hurricane in a row this season.The current NHC advisory says it is a 45mph tropical storm expected to strengthen into a hurricane. Some models do show it eventually affecting western europe and maybe even portugal as a tropical cyclone.

204241_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png

Irminsul

Here's the current NHC forecast on Ophelia (static image, doesn't get updated in contrast to the one above):

al172017_5day_cone_noposcl.png

Now, it's still a few days out, but that could get interesting. It has been some years since the last "Eurocane". 2009 I think? 2005 definitely had one.

Ophelia has been upgraded to a Hurricane with 75 MPH winds.

BULLETIN
Hurricane Ophelia Advisory Number 11
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL AL172017
500 PM AST Wed Oct 11 2017

...OPHELIA BECOMES THE 10TH HURRICANE OF THE 2017 SEASON...

SUMMARY OF 500 PM AST...2100 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...30.0N 36.1W
ABOUT 760 MI...1220 KM SW OF THE AZORES
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...75 MPH...120 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...E OR 90 DEGREES AT 3 MPH...6 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...990 MB...29.24 INCHES

Irminsul

If the current track keeps shifting a bit further north, it seems like the Azores could get hit by Ophelia. And, well, Ireland, eventually.

sensi97

Ophelia is now a cat 3 (major) hurricane.

Code:
BULLETIN
Hurricane Ophelia Advisory Number  22
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL172017
1100 AM AST Sat Oct 14 2017

...OPHELIA BECOMES A RARE CATEGORY 3 HURRICANE SOUTH OF THE
AZORES...
...THIS IS THE SIXTH MAJOR HURRICANE OF THE 2017 SEASON...

SUMMARY OF 1100 AM AST...1500 UTC...INFORMATION
-----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...34.8N 26.6W
ABOUT 220 MI...355 KM S OF THE AZORES
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...115 MPH...185 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NE OR 55 DEGREES AT 25 MPH...41 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...960 MB...28.35 INCHES

pulsemyne

Is it not further east tracking the more stronger the storm is.... expect it to go more east than tracking suggests

TBH I think it will end up more to the east of ireland than tracking suggests, possbly bringing it's strongest winds through the irish sea. Maybe a bit of a repeat (albeit in a different place) of the 1987 storm.

Irminsul

Ireland needs to worry. They should be expecting one of the strongest post tropical storms in recent years

The Irish meteorological service has already issued a red alert (highest level) for the coastal areas in Western Ireland and an orange alert for the rest of the country (that's literally what the warning says). Even though Ophelia is well extratropical once it hits Ireland, hurricane-force winds are still to be expected.

The Azores are “just” expected to get a lot of rain.

7 out of 9 islands in the Azores archipelago are under red alert (due mainly to strong rain and strong winds). Lisbon will apparently be hit by strong rain and stormy weather on Monday - which feels especially weird considering today it's 32ºC outside (way hotter than average for October...). Still, it seems Ophelia won't hurt us too bad. The fact that we're talking about a hurricane affecting Portuguese territory is definitely weird to ponder, though.

GYODX

Finally have mobile data on my phone here in northwest PR.

No power or water in my neighborhood yet, but I'm fine and so is everyone I know. Things have been scary the past few weeks. A couple of attempted home invasions in my neighborhood, neighbors having to come out with sticks and machetes onto the street to chase out some thugs, burnt get-away cars, constant sightings of people with masks walking on the streets, no police presence...

Anyone else from PR-GAF post yet?

mo60

Cat 4?... why do I think this is gonna make it to Ireland/UK as a hurricane still and track much further East than tracked
https://twitter.com/RyanMaue/status/919280338840547330

Ophelia is going to complete extratropical transition in like the next 24hr's most likely.It's starting to attach to a front. It will probably transition to an extratropical storm around France's latitude.It will still be a dangerous storm once it completes it's transition to an extratropical storm. Anyway I wonder what would have happened if ophelia would have tracked towards portugal instead. We probably would have been looking at an actual tropical storm or hurricane making landfall there.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Ireland needs to worry. They should be expecting one of the strongest post tropical storms in recent years

Strongest in 50 years they say.

Western parts probably could take some damage.

Most notable about this is that it's the strongest a hurricane has ever been this far east, apparently. Hopefully that's not indicative of a trending change into the future...climate change etc. etc.

Oriel

First hurricane for me. Welp............

......Day off work. Fecking lovely!

Ah sure it'll be grand.

We are taking it seriously in all fairness.

Finally have mobile data on my phone here in northwest PR.

No power or water in my neighborhood yet, but I'm fine and so is everyone I know. Things have been scary the past few weeks. A couple of attempted home invasions in my neighborhood, neighbors having to come out with sticks and machetes onto the street to chase out some thugs, burnt get-away cars, constant sightings of people with masks walking on the streets, no police presence...

Anyone else from PR-GAF post yet?

I'm really glad you're ok. That sounds very scary though! I hope you and everyone gets their water and power back on. Can't believe it's been a couple weeks now since Maria.

Griss

It's insane - I was hit dead on by Irma and then glanced by Maria, and I'm an Irishman living in the Caribbean. My cousin was hit by both in the BVI and lost her house. But my immediate family is all west Cork - and the eye of Ophelia is currently projected to hit them tomorrow dead on.

What on earth did we do to the weather gods this year?

are we done guys, Is is all quiet out there?

There's still north of a month left, right? At this point in the year, Sandy was still a few days away from becoming a named storm. I definitely wouldn't rest easy when we're comparatively more than a week from the landfall that gave me twelve days of power outage, much of that during freezing temperatures.

Top Bottom