• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanty

Do all stores only have games in one small section? There's maybe 5-6m of wall with games at the store I went to, so there are over 100 people crowded in maybe 1/5th of the store.

Mine had nothing decent, had points cards, but weren't cheap. No loss. Hardly anyone in line at 9am when I got there.

After seeing the pics of the lines down south there's no way I would have hung around if that had been the case up here.

vanty

Mine had nothing decent, had points cards, but weren't cheap. No loss. Hardly anyone in line at 9am when I got there.

After seeing the pics of the lines down south there's no way I would have hung around if that had been the case up here.
Yeah I just read that they weren't actually being discounted. I guess that's why no employees had taken them before opening while every other super-discounted item was already gone.

Clipper

Considering how little is on the games shelf at Hurstville and Randwick DSEs I can only assume every store is like that. Going to be so many disappointed people today.

Heh, Randwick is my DSE too. I was tossing up whether or not to head over as there's nothing much I actually wanted. Then I got a call from my Mum for a chat, which made up my mind to not bother. I still headed in about 9:15 on my walk to Uni just to check if they had any stuff left, but when I saw the 20-30 people crowding the register and another 10-15 perusing the game shelves, I just turned the corner and walked on without bothering to enter the store :p.

The whole thing is pretty laughable, really.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
From what I can tell.

The system wasn't updated maybe at all at actual stores. Online though is a little bit different.

The guy claimed that the public sale wasn't meant to be until the 11th with the 2nd being either online only or only for a very select few titles.

I get the feeling that the leak caused people to get over excited. DSE would have had this entire week to get all of their stock sorted from warehouses out to stores for the sale next week, Which is probably why no one actually had anything (alongside staff members taking what they could).

I wonder if you could walk in next week and be able to pick up anything once stock gets sorted out. Maybe even later on in this week as stores start to get excess stock coming through.

Of course, Maybe DSE just has no stock of anything at all except what's currently on the shelves and they are fucking lazy at updating their system. That is probably the correct answer.

JMizzlin

Just came back from two northern Brisbane stores, both were savaged. Was quite an adrenaline pumping experience. Didn't score anything because it turns out points cards weren't discounted, but no loss.

30+ people at Taigum, the tension in the air while everyone was waiting outside was phenomenal, hahahahaha.

Peagles

Must have been 150-200 in line at my local store (maybe because of the sold out things listed on the site's stock locator thing, my store was almost always the only place within 15km with stock), I got there like 2 mins before opening and just walked in with the first 20 or so ahah. But DSi and PSPs were all gone before anyone even got in, but the stupid employee(s) who took them forgot about the XBL cards so some big Maori guys sent a little kid in under everyone and grabbed what must have been at least 20 3000 point cards off the hook, then one of the guys himself grabbed all the remaining 1500 and subscription cards. The Dragon Quest IX I hid on Thursday was already gone, probably re-hidden in a better spot by someone else.

So I walked away with nothing, not that I really care though I have too much stuff already.

'DSE' and 'Dick Smith' trending on Twitter as well ahah

Haha oh at least some NZers got something from this sale! :p

Some points cards were discounted, some weren't. It's only the older stock of these that were on sale, the new look ones were full price as normal.

Anyone spot any MS points cards anywhere? According to the website no store within 15km of me had any.
Yeah, ours had point cards, but they wern't dropped like these claim :(
About 20+ cards at our store. The games guy said nothing was being discounted until he was done marking all the stock down tonight and would be ready for tomorrow. Will check in again tomorrow for some cards if they aren't already taken. He has to change their system manually, putting in the discounted prices.

The guy claimed that the public sale wasn't meant to be until the 11th with the 2nd being either online only or only for a very select few titles.

I get the feeling that the leak caused people to get over excited. DSE would have had this entire week to get all of their stock sorted from warehouses out to stores for the sale next week, Which is probably why no one actually had anything (alongside staff members taking what they could).

I wonder if you could walk in next week and be able to pick up anything once stock gets sorted out. Maybe even later on in this week as stores start to get excess stock coming through.

Of course, Maybe DSE just has no stock of anything at all except what's currently on the shelves and they are fucking lazy at updating their system. That is probably the correct answer.
Yep, that employee who leaked the sale has created a terrible PR situation for DSE that they failed badly by not being honest about it. They hyped it up saying on Facebook and Twitter that the sale was happening and slap dashed a shitty attempt up that was torn to shreds too quickly.

Certainly created some negative PR for them. Would have been better off letting local stores do their own thing and clear it all out over the next month or so. Maybe they don't have much time until they need to make a big change so it had to be done by the middle of the month?

Mine was as quiet and lackluster as expected. They had a small table out from with all the discounted item (under 30 items) which included 1 DS, no other consoles, and a bunch of games that should have been $5 regardless of a sale (SingStar, Avatar, etc).

No points cards or subscriptions. Apparently the cards they had in stock were "the new type" which is a concept that I don't quite grasp. I ended up with nothing because I wasn't prepared to act like an asshole and push and just calmly walked up to the back and grabbed a couple of points cards to only be told what I've just relayed.

It went as well as I expected. Yay for low expectation!!

I agree with this. The initial onslaught will die down and then maybe the Dick Smith people won't suck and take it all again.

Edit: Swype derped.

I was right. I called bs from the start. Online broke and instore wasnt as afvertised. Kinda bummed out though because my mother got everything I asked her to get and none were cheap

mandiller

Well that was....underwhelming. I managed to get in an order for five 1500 MS Points cards online at 7:30ish then went and lined up at a store where they had hardly anything, definitely no hardware. The only thing I managed to pick up in store was TinTin for the 360 and Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 1 for the Wii (both games for my girlfriend).

At least I did get some point cards online though, some of my friends came away empty handed.

Yagharek

As I posted yesterday, I bought a copy of Another World on snes and that is decidedly better than any of you poor DSE victims did this morning.

Well that was....underwhelming. I managed to get in an order for five 1500 MS Points cards online at 7:30ish then went and lined up at a store where they had hardly anything, definitely no hardware. The only thing I managed to pick up in store was TinTin for the 360 and Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 1 for the Wii (both games for my girlfriend).

Coming from the guy with the TinTin avatar, this is hard to believe. :p

edit: Did anyone come away with a PSP I could buy off them? :(

Yagharek

Even when you're not trying to be depressing, you're really depressing, Vince :<

I told you all that the sale would be a waste of time. It was/is. You could have had a nice relaxing monday morning instead of cramming in like sardines to see the shelves emptied of all the employee dibs if you had listened.

Jintor

I told you all that the sale would be a waste of time. It was/is. You could have had a nice relaxing monday morning instead of cramming in like sardines to see the shelves emptied of all the employee dibs if you had listened.

Well, I didn't go out because I agreed with you and I have shit to do, but I get your point

Resilient

Managed to pick up a few DS games for 5 each, a friend snatched quite a few 360 games. There were no consoles at my store, even though when I had called the Sunday night they had said they had the PS3, DSi etc. MSP cards were a bit of a joke. There were about 70 people at the store I was at.

Most amusing bit was the store manager elbowing people in the ribs/nose etc as they rushed in as a way to 'control' the crowd. Kinda crossed the line there I think as nobody was behaving unreasonably.

Big effin joke. Staff had reserved EVERYTHING worthwhile. They did not even bother putting up the sale stickers on marked down items. Highpoint had maybe 200 people crammed in, no one got a single piece of hardware. Many fanatics were grabbing $5 bargain bin games, but there was nothing good in there. Checked out Altona gate store as well, less rush but not a single item on shelf...asked the staff and she gave me a sly smile and I got the hint.

I got FIFA 11 and Homefront on 360, and LA Noire on PS3 for $5 each. They had Vanquish on the shelf for $5 but when I went to buy it they said it was just a display box and they had no stock (it was the real box)... And then asked me to put it back on the shelf. MS cards were annoying, they had them all out on the clearance tables but didn't tell anybody it was just the old stock.

Big effin joke. Staff had reserved EVERYTHING worthwhile. They did not even bother putting up the sale stickers on marked down items. Highpoint had maybe 200 people crammed in, no one got a single piece of hardware. Many fanatics were grabbing $5 bargain bin games, but there was nothing good in there. Checked out Altona gate store as well, less rush but not a single item on shelf...asked the staff and she gave me a sly smile and I got the hint.

One of my family owns a Dick Smith, I should've asked him to reserve me something. Me being the idiot only thought of it today.

Resilient

I was one of those fanatics! Haha. Had to get what was there though. I asked staff and they said they had no hardware from the start, even though I had called and been into the store within the last few days and seen the stuff myself.

All the in-stock info on their site was rubbish. I could have picked up some marked down accessories for the PS3 but who would stand in a checkout line of 100 people for shit worth 10 bucks.

Yagharek

I guess cheap hardware is reward enough for staff having to deal with entitled masses of hundreds of people.

Just saying. >.>

Agyar

Hey whoever runs the AusGAF twitter account, you could clean up the automated post tweets by getting rid of the #AusGAF hashtag at the start and dropping the 'says' from the start (i.e. "#AusGAF Planet_JASE says:" becomes "Planet_Jase:").

Also my name isn't linked to my Twitter (lorcanw).

Gazunta

You could also clean it up do it isn't posting the GAF name AND the twitter name if they're the same.

Hyperdome DSE was a bust too for those keeping count.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom