• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AusGAF 6 - Ricki Lee is awful. Everything else about Australia is AMAZING [Free hugs]

Status
Not open for further replies.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
Not really. The email is 8 months old for starters and while it still could happen, Simon Hackett did just write up a rather large reply over on WP here regarding it all. It doesn't seem to confirm if it could still be shut down.

Internode CEO reply

What's the big deal anyway? They go through Astraweb (or at least used to), which is hosted in the US/EU, and an account directly through them is $10 a month. So, if they shut it down, go direct to the people they're using. If the extra $10 a month bothers you, go to a different ISP that's $10 a month cheaper.

It could certainly still be removed if iinet or node feel the need to save some money.
I think the more likely reason is to avoid the piracy connections that newsgroups are starting to get known for. Especially with iinet's piracy cases.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
It could still be removed if iiborg see fit. I know there has been users wanting iinet to bring over usenet and now that they essentially own internode, There's little reason not to offer it with their own products.

It could certainly still be removed if iinet or node feel the need to save some money.

Shaneus

xkdvQ.png

Not long now, folks!

jambo

What's the big deal anyway? They go through Astraweb (or at least used to), which is hosted in the US/EU, and an account directly through them is $10 a month. So, if they shut it down, go direct to the people they're using. If the extra $10 a month bothers you, go to a different ISP that's $10 a month cheaper.

My plan actually just went down by $10 a month, so if need be I could get an account.

It's just so nice and easy having it all bundled together.

Not long now, folks!
Which reminds me, last night I read an Ars Technica article covering Windows 8 for those interested.

One part in particular stood out as the major concern I have:

Ars Technica said:
But I don't want to use the desktop when all I have is touch. The desktop might be tolerable if the desktop interface had been updated to be finger friendly, but it hasn't been. It's the same desktop interface as always: small, tightly-packed clickable targets, widespread use of hover effects, and right clicking.

If the touch interface were not good—if it were as clumsy and inconvenient as using Windows 7 with a tablet is—then I'd just shrug my shoulders and dismiss the operating system's tablet ambitions. But the touch interface is really good which makes dropping back into the desktop really painful.

The only thing I miss so far on the Windows 8 Start Menu is jump lists. If they can get something like that working (maybe when hovering over a tile just increase its size with the jump list items) then in the desktop environment I'll be eager to use it. Still not convinced on touch (but haven't used it, unlike the author of that article).

Not really. The email is 8 months old for starters and while it still could happen, Simon Hackett did just write up a rather large reply over on WP here regarding it all. It doesn't seem to confirm if it could still be shut down.

Internode CEO reply
Quality journalism. Another Australian technology rag I can continue to ignore.

I think the more likely reason is to avoid the piracy connections that newsgroups are starting to get known for. Especially with iinet's piracy cases.
I can't see providers sticking with Usenet for many more years since it is a great channel for piracy. Will be the next target after file hosters.

Not long now, folks!
Might even arrive today, the couple of Big W orders I have made arrived within 3 days.

I work for the borg and it's amazing how we are blamed for anything happening with node.

I think people on both node and ii will be pleasantly surprised by the synergies the merge brings.

Fredescu

Quality journalism. Another Australian technology rag I can continue to ignore.
Delimiter aren't bad. I would much rather them make a mistake on the side of the consumer as they've done here, than on the side of a company. They fight the good fight against NBN FUD, so they get points for that.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Melbourne trains smell so much nicer than Sydney trains.

Seriously sydney, I caught like 8 trains while I was in you and they all smelt like pee.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
I work for the borg and it's amazing how we are blamed for anything happening with node.

I think people on both node and ii will be pleasantly surprised by the synergies the merge brings.

Wheres my adsl2!!

Although in reality I'm too far away from the exchange to get any sort of boost over adsl1. Gotta get that cable / nbn.

Wheres my adsl2!!

Although in reality I'm too far away from the exchange to get any sort of boost over adsl1. Gotta get that cable / nbn.

Did you know Michael Malone (CEO, MD, basically everything iiNet) can't actually get ADSL 2+ either. I'm also too far from the exchange so can't wait for NBN.

Choc

Banned
So, I don't know what my work rights are, but I feel like venting because I'm fuming at the moment.

On Thursday, we moved into a new office at work. We're working to a deadline for this Thursday, and I've been working my arse off and everything is on schedule that is within my control. I went to make a cup of tea with a work colleague (no calls are incoming, so that isn't a concern here).

Boss sees us doing so and asks "what are you doing?"
"Making a cup of tea."
"Have you had your lunch break?"
"Yes."
"Look, we don't have time for this. We're working to a deadline here and we can't afford to take the time to make a cup of tea. Don't let me see you doing this again."
(Bear in mind, making a cup of tea wasn't an uncommon occurrence before this point and was never a concern).

The message was then passed to the rest of the team. 30 min lunch breaks will be adhered to, not a minute more. No making tea or coffee will be allowed, with the possibility of this being relaxed once product launch has occurred.

A meeting is called for the next day (Friday just gone) at 8:50am, 10 mins before usual start time. I'm there 10 mins earlier as is my usual and no one is there to open the office until 9:10am, but it's not even the boss who called the meeting. He turns up about 11:30am without a mention of the meeting.

Meeting gets called this morning. Boss has been singing mine and my work colleagues praises since I started there. Today he says "I heard from these 2 other managers that when I'm out of the office, work productivity falls to zero, you guys are slacking off". You wanna know what happened? We talked... about work... how to improve the product, get more customers and do things better. Wow, talk about bludging!

Now, the launch party is on Thursday night. They've roped my work colleague into DJing the gig for peanuts compared to what her usual rate of pay is (I told her not to settle for less, but it seemed to be the only way out of what I'm just about to mention). Then they spring on us that we'll be actually doing work at this party, as it's not for our enjoyment. The "party" is designed for us to gain more customers by handing out leaflets and trying to sign up clients. They have no intention of paying us for our time that night.

Now as for tea breaks, I don't think they are mandatory for morning and afternoon, though they can be depending on the Award it falls under. I understand usually it's a nice gesture a workplace offers. I think since we're on the phones in front of the computer, we're at least entitled to a stretch every 2 hours for our muscles and eyes. Oh, did I mention we're on laptops? I think that's an OH&S thing since the monitors aren't at eye level and are causing me back pain. I'm sure others are more informed with workplace standards than I am.

I know I'm probably nit-picking here, but the workplace has become quite miserable. I don't want to be taken advantage of, though I know my job isn't secure as a casual. 2 other people were fired without warning (1 hour minimum allowed) due to "budget constraints". I'm not concerned if I'm let go, I may even walk out, but I would like the chance to find another job before I bail.

As for the unpaid party event, I won't be turning up to that as we're not being paid and I believe we would are fully entitled to be. If they want work done, they must pay for it. If we're able to enjoy ourselves and have fun like everyone else, they don't have to pay a cent, sadly this isn't the case.

Apologies for the poorly structured information above, I'm a bit on edge at the moment.

Ok a few things.

1. If you are employed as a casual they cannot demand this and not pay you. casuals have protections against this because you do not have usual workers rights such as sick leave and holiday pay. You are also paid a loading because you are a casual, hopefully you are being paid a loading.

2. Companies CAN request people to work overtime or at parties etc but as a casual you have every right to tell them to shove it and they cannot punish you for it (aside from of course let you go as you are a casual), but they cannot for example if they continue to employ you demote you, or reduce pay etc because you didn't toe the line.

3. As for breaks, this is against the law. They are not allowed to stipulate things like that. What's next, no toilet breaks? They try that, THAT is majorly against IR laws.

This company clearly does not get that employee morale = good work.

4. Danoss what is your job because it is entirely possible you do not have an award. IT jobs do not have awards nor do they have unions. Only 'traditional' work that has been around decades has awards. Hospitality for example. HOWEVER there is the minimum wage.

As for the unpaid party event, I won't be turning up to that as we're not being paid and I believe we would are fully entitled to be. If they want work done, they must pay for it.

Not the worst attitude in the world to have towards this. A few questions come to mind

1. Are they paying your expenses to and from the venue?

Because if not, they got nada on you. Forget it and move on its not worth it.

Now with that said i have many many times worked on weekends, late at night etc but i am under a salary. Under a salary there is expectations that you can work certain levels of OT but also that if you are in particular jobs you need to go there.

Many times i have been away over the weekend. I did not get paid for that time over the weekend however i don't mind because i get time in lieu. Now i don't get double time etc for Sundays but at least i get the same amount of time off later down the line.

On a salary you have rights and with those rights comes expectations. It's acceptable to be asked to work some OT.

Without rights (casuals) you have zero expectations.

Danoss, I would be calling Fairwork Australia for advice on this whole thing, especially the coffee break. And if they sack you based on calling FairWork, they would be at FairWork Australia faster then they can say 'oh fuck' and having a nice fine handed out to them.

Casuals don't have as many rights as PT and FT, but they do have some. and right now they are being trampled all over.

Choc

Banned
and for what its worth my job contract stipulates i must have a passport and that i am expected at times to be away from home.

It's in my contract, i agreed to it.

Check your work contract Dan. And if they didn't give you one or you signed nothing

RUN FOR THE HILLS AS FAST AS YOU CAN

WTF. I know Hilf was horrible the other night but McKay? He will be even MORE terrible! Might as well have brought back Johnson >_<

Whelp, I just subbed a review of Mass Effect 3 I guess
Any real ingame screenshots or just the PR pieces? I fucking hate it when reviewers use PR shots rather than screenshots.

Danoss, I would be calling Fairwork Australia for advice on this whole thing, especially the coffee break. And if they sack you based on calling FairWork, they would be at FairWork Australia faster then they can say 'oh fuck' and having a nice fine handed out to them.

Casuals don't have as many rights as PT and FT, but they do have some. and right now they are being trampled all over.
Hell yes. If they fuck you around go to FWA and even Slater Gordon and see if they are interested in pursuing it after you tell your story, my boss is mates with one of the lawyers there and he has some amazing stories.

Poop. Not following the cricket until I get home now. VaderNooo.GIF. Hope he has a better game with the gloves today.

I'd bring back Tait before Johnson.

Although the real answer is Siddle.

Selectors have already told Siddle he will only be a Test bowler, which is all well and good when our front line pace bowlers are firing but until we get Cummins back it is a bit of a shuffle to fill the hole. In a perfect world Hilf would have bowled great as he usually does and would be in this match as well.

Hopefully Siddle can do well at state level and be seen as an option for the shorter game too.

Selectors are their own breed though.

reptile sometimes the NDA's of games stipulate you must use x y and z screenshot

shit yo unot
I understand the reasoning but I fucking hate it. Bullshot bullshit. I want to see what I will see, not what the marketing team wants to trick me into seeing. I actually thought with the rise of consoles that the practice would disappear since every game will look the same but NOPE! Arseholes.

Agyar

Because the AusGAF Fitocracy group met some requirement for number of members and average level, it now has 100 invites. Using this link will give you an invite and (I believe) automatically add you to the AusGAF group.

Because the AusGAF Fitocracy group met some requirement for number of members and average level, it now has 100 invites. Using this link will give you an invite and (I believe) automatically add you to the AusGAF group.

yay. didn't realise there were groups or that it was you requesting follow yesterday.

joined ausgaf/neogaf/brisbane now.

Is there a phone app to track or does it best link with runkeeper?

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Choc is hosting the Australian version of 'Sony Direct' on the 9th. True or False?

yay. didn't realise there were groups or that it was you requesting follow yesterday.

joined ausgaf/neogaf/brisbane now.

Is there a phone app to track or does it best link with runkeeper?

The mobile site seems pretty shitty at the moment. I couldn't get it to work right yesterday, I just wrote down what I did and waited until I got home. Bit shit bit I'm sure it'll get sorted.

Also everyone should read this http://www.theglobalmail.org/mobile/feature/a-little-bit-of-africa-in-australia/102/

Great story about a neglected people

Agyar

The mobile site is pretty limited but it allows you to add exercises easily enough. You can't access any of the news streams/groups/profiles etc however.

And yes, there are groups in addition to following people. The AusGAF group is public, so anyone can join at the moment (either manually by searching for it or automatically if they sign up with the new link).

The mobile site is pretty limited but it allows you to add exercises easily enough. You can't access any of the news streams/groups/profiles etc however.
I wasn't even able to add exercise I'd done yesterday via the mobile site (Android running Chrome beta). Worked first go this morning on the desktop site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom