• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cross Assault Thread: Get Cross, taste Salt (SFxT Reality Show)

Beth Cyra

Perhaps not Aris himself, but there are plenty of examples of people trying to assign blame to her all over the place.

Given his somewhat toxic views on sexual harassment in general, it is perhaps not surprising that he went over the line very, very publicly.

It's not surprsing because he is like that with everything.

In public we have heard Aris go off on Asians, Latin Americans, Gays, Jews, Transgenderd, Women, and even just people who are nice.

All of this happened before Cross Assualt, this was why so many people couldn't believe he was choosen on top of the fact he doesn't play Street Fighter.

Sblargh

Banned
Aris seems like the type of dude who's company is best enjoyed from a distance if you have a soft skin or fear awkwardness. Watching him at evo was both scary and exciting (and always hilarious).

Mike Watson is awesome, don't particularly care about his opinion of cross-dressing, cosplay, and/or both.

I'm one of those soft-skinned people and I have always avoided this type of person and it is really tough when you are stuck in a room with someone like this, or when you have a big group of friends and this guy happens to be always a part of it.
You feel arrested and powerless. It is really bad.

"Awesome" is probably the last word I would use to describe Mike Watson, even in the most literal sense.

But unfortunately there are probably a lot of people in the FGC who have either love or reverence for him despite the crazy.

some people, unfortunately, get a pass.

alstein

I often wonder how many quality folks have been turned off from the attitudes of the FGC over the years.

It's hard to see the problems from the inside.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
But unfortunately there are probably a lot of people in the FGC who have either love or reverence for him despite the crazy.

I don't think it's a bad thing to judge a person by more than just their worst personality trait.

Riposte

I don't specifically give him a pass. I simply don't care. He doesn't cross any lines in my book (not violent, militant, etc). In other words I'm ironically tolerant. (I'd imagine you'd have to be to some degree if you want to deal with the larger youth cultures the FGC comes out of.)

xYQoX.jpg

Geniuzz

I'm not clear on many of the details as I have not been watching most of the streams, but it seems that this show has all the ingredients a "real" real life show has, including the drama that feels forced, fake and basically makes me tune out these type of shows.

If there IS an issue with sexual harassment, I hope that Capcom addresses the matter in a professional way, if it's the internet blowing things out of proportion, I hope all will be clear soon, before someone has been damaged beyond repair, regardless whether that's Aris or Miranda.

I hear the comparisons to WWE, but I am hoping we don't need to stoop to McMahon levels to make the FGC entertaining and profitable. We don't need over the top characters and fake rivalries to make it fun.

"Watson popping off at Jared is pretty funny." - Arturo Sanchez

Not really sure why Sabin worships this place so much if his mindset is completely different. I guess he doesn't put much value to what's actually said here.

I could say private things in response to the accusation of Mike Watson being a bigoted homophobe (he's not)...but this is NeoGAF who cares.

Wallach

I don't specifically give him a pass. I simply don't care. He doesn't cross any lines in my book (not violent, militant, etc). In other words I'm ironically tolerant. (I'd imagine you'd have to be to some degree if you want to deal with the larger youth cultures the FGC comes out of.)

You don't care that Watson is openly bigoted towards homosexuals? You think being apathetic to that is a reasonable response because he is not directly violent as a result?

notworksafe

You don't care that Watson is openly bigoted towards homosexuals? You think being apathetic to that is a reasonable response because he is not directly violent as a result?

Nope. To me, his opinions on gay people mean nothing and are unimportant.

I could say somewhat private things in response to the accusation of Mike Watson being a bigoted homophobe...but this is NeoGAF who cares.

Oh lord, get the hell out with this. Either say it or don't mention it. No need to pussy foot around with some half accusation.

Axis

Nope, give 0 fucks how he feels about homosexuals. Should I?

Oh lord, get the hell out with this. Either say it or don't mention it. No need to pussy foot around with some half accusation.

I have the right to say that the idea of "Mike Watson is a bigot" is completely off base and maintain that it's none of the business of a public forum. It's not based on a stream window on my computer or twitter.

nycfurby

Dhalsim's Max CPM Emporium
"Watson popping off at Jared is pretty funny." - Arturo Sanchez

Not really sure why Sabin worships this place so much if his mindset is completely different. I guess he doesn't put much value to what's actually said here.

I could say somewhat private things in response to the accusation of Mike Watson being a bigoted homophobe...but this is NeoGAF who cares.

It's only cause people on neogaf don't have a complete perpspective of what's going on since they're not at said events. There's a lot of people with well thought out opinions on here but since they're not behind the scenes, you know what I mean? Hard to take the comments too serious, do enjoy reading though heh

Arozay

Why the timing was so perfect? What happened?

It was right after the rigged team SF vs team SF fight and there was some drama with Aris contesting the rules and saying the players broke their contracts and should be kicked off the show.

"

I won't speak for Art, but for myself I choose NeoGaf as the place to discuss FGC related news even though at heat I'm SRK. The reason why is because it's very simple. SRK is pretty much split into two factions right now.

The General Discussion sect, and the Fighting Game sect.

For the most part members who resigned in general discussion have moved on from fighting games. However they still stick around SRK, because they love fighting games and they have built many strong bonds and relationship throughout the years. Most of these guys don't watch fighting game streams, and the ones that do still go to tournaments go to hang out with friends more so than compete. Many if not most of these guys have families and is older than the average age of members in the fgc.

Then there's the FGC section where the majority of members are like members here who still play fighting games with a strong passion and follow the weekly streams. At the same time a majority (obviously I won't say all) of them are rather new with completely different thinking than the old guards.

So that's why I came to NeoGaf. My opinions differs from most in the FGC section, and there's no one to discuss with in the general discussion. NeoGaf is a perfect median between the two. From what I've seen most of you have been following for at least a year or two and understand the more advance techniques of the game, at the same time you still follow the competitive scene so current discussion can carry on.

At the end of the day SRK doesn't have a thread for every major like Gaf does. Another thing is the forum's layout is much better compared to SRK ever since SRK changed their to the new Beta whatever it's called.

That's why I can understand why guys like Art and Markman have gravitated towards Gaf in recent years. Hell I am one myself even though my opinions may differ from many of you.

Wallach

It's only cause people on neogaf don't have a complete perpspective of what's going on since they're not at said events. There's a lot of people with well thought out opinions on here but since they're not behind the scenes, you know what I mean? Hard to take the comments too serious, do enjoy reading though heh

This kind of hand-waving is really a non-point, Arturo. You want to claim my opinion is a misconception that comes from ignorance, but you turn around and claim my ignorance is caused by a mystery you couldn't articulate. It's not the fuckin' Matrix, man. If you have a legit reason why you think Watson really isn't bigoted, you certainly could articulate it; if you choose not to, that's something else altogether. It wouldn't have anything to do with whether or not I was in the room for the millionth time Watson used a homophobic slur.

You don't owe me that explanation, but don't piss on me and tell me it's raining either.

You don't owe me that explanation, but don't piss on me and tell me it's raining either.

Why should he when 99% of you guys pretty much come to conclusion it's rain anyway. I stopped posting regularly on this forum because I couldn't stand the literal stream monsters here.

Mike Ross already said this regarding everything that happened to him the prior night. The internet will come to it's own self important conclusion about the scene. It's not worth the energy to correct people.

Sixfortyfive

If you have a legit reason why you think Watson really isn't bigoted, you certainly could articulate it; if you choose not to, that's something else altogether.
Or you could refrain from passing judgement on people I assume you've never even met.

That's the crux of it, I think. And it's a common occurrence in every thread that spectates fighting game events on the internet. GAF has a better signal-to-noise ratio (and a better sense of humor) than most, but I've said before that I've been to some events in person only to come back home to view the thread later and either see some minor circumstance blown up into huge drama that wasn't really there in the first place or a lot of scorn directed at somebody based on second-hand information fed through a long game of telephone. It's just really kind of incredible how quick people are to judge when they really don't know shit, and it's one of the main reasons I just could not care less about fighting games "blowing up" and pulling in huge spectator numbers. Spectators are idiots. Anybody who's watched one stream chat should know.

I'm really not trying to act as a defense force for anyone in particular. If nothing else, I kind of hope that Aris and other people in highly visible positions take yesterday's events seriously enough to back off whenever they get a "dude not funny" at the bare minimum. But I'm not really keen on grinding an axe or villifying anyone. I know this is a thread about a silly reality show, but all of these guys are people, not characters, and in the year and a half I've actually been driving out to tournaments I've never met anyone who wasn't easy enough to get along with.

Stream monsters who don't have anything better to do than take potshots at a bunch of "manchildren" so that they can feel smug about themselves can eat a dick; I'll keep bringing setups to locals and have fun playing video games. Not directed at anybody in particular. Just ranting on my soapbox.

nycfurby

Dhalsim's Max CPM Emporium
This kind of hand-waving is really a non-point, Arturo. You want to claim my opinion is a misconception that comes from ignorance, but you turn around and claim my ignorance is caused by a mystery you couldn't articulate. It's not the fuckin' Matrix, man. If you have a legit reason why you think Watson really isn't bigoted, you certainly could articulate it; if you choose not to, that's something else altogether. It wouldn't have anything to do with whether or not I was in the room for the millionth time Watson used a homophobic slur.

Why are you talking about Watson? My post had nothing to do with him lol. His hOmophobia is known for years now and I wasnt commenting on that at all. Heh. This is why I don't post too much my words get taken out of context completely. Idk why you think I'm pissing on you

Hey Art, any thoughts on the actual game? (ha!) Curious about what you think of Dhalsim and if he's a viable character. He seems like he doesn't really fit in with the rushdown style of SFxT but you may have a different opinion.

I mean uhhh that darn Watson how dare he

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Why are you talking about Watson? My post had nothing to do with him lol. His hOmophobia is known for years now and I wasnt commenting on that at all. Heh. This is why I don't post too much my words get taken out of context completely. Idk why you think I'm pissing on you

So what you're saying is, golden showers turn you on.

Why should he when 99% of you guys pretty much come to conclusion it's rain anyway. I stopped posting regularly on this forum because I couldn't stand the literal stream monsters here.

Mike Ross already said this regarding everything that happened to him the prior night. The internet will come to it's own self important conclusion about the scene. It's not worth the energy to correct people.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Hey Art, any thoughts on the actual game? (ha!) Curious about what you think of Dhalsim and if he's a viable character. He seems like he doesn't really fit in with the rushdown style of SFxT but you may have a different opinion.

I mean uhhh that darn Watson how dare he
WAIT THERE'S A GAME?

Miranda should've counter X-Factored Aris and won her way out of Cross Assault.

Sixfortyfive

It's hilarious that you maintain this point on almost every fighting thread in this forum but no one seems to listen.
If I can get even one person to graduate from stream monster to pot monster, then it's all worth it.

Sorry, but if we apply this reasoning to other fields it becomes clear how faulty is it: just think of politics.
I actually reached the opposite conclusion, in that I've started to view influential people with horrible viewpoints with a little more empathy even if I don't agree with them. Something as inconsequential as video game tournaments has completely altered my perception of pro sports and celebrities in general. It's what Dave Chappelle was trying to tell us, man.

Wallach

Or you could refrain from passing judgement on people I assume you've never even met.

I'm passing judgment on Watson in the sense that I think he's a bigot, yeah. He's been working pretty hard for more than a decade to earn that judgment, I didn't just decide it on a whim. I'm not passing judgment on every aspect of Watson's life and character, either. You don't get to go around calling people slurs for years and years into microphones and cameras and then wonder why people think you're a bigot; at some point you have to take responsibility for the things you say.

The guy you quoted is talking about Watson, because he's responding to me talking about Watson. I figured you were commenting on that; if that isn't the case I apologize, honestly.

Sixfortyfive

I'm passing judgment on Watson in the sense that I think he's a bigot, yeah. He's been working pretty hard for more than a decade to earn that judgment, I didn't just decide it on a whim. I'm not passing judgment on every aspect of Watson's life and character, either. You don't get to go around calling people slurs for years and years into microphones and cameras and then wonder why people think you're a bigot; at some point you have to take responsibility for the things you say.
Can't say I disagree.

Everyday of my life.

Speaking of which duckroll is god-like for "Stop making voting threads." Thank you. WTF was wrong with NeoGAF for awhile there?

Duckroll? Fixing shit like that is what Arturo does in his spare time.

Seriously though, I agree was annoying there.

Top Bottom