• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

David Wise, god of game soundtracks, returns to the world of men (new samples inside)

Jagsrock

Banned
Commute7.gif

mmmmmh friday can't come soon enough.

Damn, thanks for posting this! I somehow missed Diddy Kong Racing back in the day....I had no idea Wise composed its soundtrack. I just listened to a bunch of tracks from the game on YT and they're all amazing!

This guy needs to be hired by Retro, full time!

Yep while there at it get Grant Kirkhope too and the other one I cant remember

Neiteio

Damn, thanks for posting this! I somehow missed Diddy Kong Racing back in the day....I had no idea Wise composed its soundtrack. I just listened to a bunch of tracks from the game on YT and they're all amazing!

This guy needs to be hired by Retro, full time!
Check out the full Diddy Kong Racing OST (time stamps in the video description) to make sure you don't miss anything. :)

Amazing game, btw. It had an overworld where you would drive around to reach each world full of race courses. You could also use a hovercraft and a plane.

We need a sequel. Nintendo pls

AoM

You picked the most absurdly fast David Wise song in existence, lol

That course was so cool back in the day, BTW

I haven't heard all the songs; are there any more that have that a faster pace like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj8yAPrmads

Awwww yiss

Mutha Fuckin'

Darkmoon Caverns

edit - OH GOD ITS NOT HERE WHERE IS IT

Not included in either the Japanese or NoA soundtrack. Will never understand why they left out one of the best tracks.

Check out the full Diddy Kong Racing OST (time stamps in the video description) to make sure you don't miss anything. :)

Amazing game, btw. It had an overworld where you would drive around to reach each world full of race courses. You could also use a hovercraft and a plane.

We need a sequel. Nintendo pls

We do or resurrect the Donkey Kong Racing Gamecube idea it looked awesome
I really dont care as long as it has this music, I noramlly wouldnt consider buying a metroid game at launch but if he made music for it I'd buy it day one

ChamplooJones

Formerly Momotaro
That Aquatic Ambience remix in Spark Ocean nearly brought me to tears.

I expect nothing less from one of the pioneers of video game music.

Neiteio

My next OP update will compile all four of the Irate Eight themes.

Just two more... :)

EDIT: I think... Once I have the chase theme, I think I'll update.

AoM

This game must have a lot of underwater levels; have heard a couple different underwater themes now.

Neiteio

This game must have a lot of underwater levels; have heard a couple different underwater themes now.
The fourth world has quite a few (although it also has levels that are at least partially land-based, as well as a mine cart level, etc). The underwater gameplay is reportedly the best it's ever been in the series, and perhaps 2D platformers in general.

Also, David Wise has said in the past that Aquatic Ambiance is perhaps his favorite musical creation. So between that and his equally sublime work in Amiss Abyss, Mangrove Cove (Underwater), and Lockjaw's Saga, yeah, I think he has a thing for orchestrating sub-aquatic environments!

Neiteio

With the lightning? Techno Lockjaw, so 4-A I guess. Irate Eight just has (beginning, underwater, and chase).
Yes, that's it. And I believe 4-A also repeats the underwater version of Lockjaw for the swimming bits. I love how this game smoothly transitions between the two styles. :)

HUELEN10

Not saying the game is a piece of shit (I would never say that, what I played was amazing and I can't wait for release of this amazing title), but if it were, I could still deem it decent for "Grassland Groove" alone; the music is that amazing holy shit.

After listening to a bunch of these, Alpine Incline is still my favorite. It delivered so hard from the snippet we got a while back. The build, the percussion, the pulsing synths, the layers; it's so good.

Neiteio

Ooo, Irate Eight (Chase)... I'm going to wait for the 4-A version before I update the OP with all four. Will make a nice themed collection. :)

I also quite like the World 4 boss theme -- looking forward to its upload!

AoM

The fourth world has quite a few (although it also has levels that are at least partially land-based, as well as a mine cart level, etc). The underwater gameplay is reportedly the best it's ever been in the series, and perhaps 2D platformers in general.

Also, David Wise has said in the past that Aquatic Ambiance is perhaps his favorite musical creation. So between that and his equally sublime work in Amiss Abyss, Mangrove Cove (Underwater), and Lockjaw's Saga, yeah, I think he has a thing for orchestrating sub-aquatic environments!

Possibility of a remix of Fischer's Water World?

doubtful, but I enjoy it more than AA or LS

Neiteio

Possibility of a remix of Fischer's Water World?

doubtful, but I enjoy it more than AA or LS
I don't think there are any remixes of the DKC3 water theme, but I agree, Fischer's work there was excellent.

Also, I feel bad for forgetting to mention Eveline Fischer earlier. It's a Rare QUARTET that should be recognized:

David Wise
Grant Kirkhope
Robin Beanland
Eveline Fischer

Am I missing anyone? Would've been cool if they all formed a company of contractors that went around scoring games!

I know David Wise and Grant Kirkhope had a band... Believe David played the saxophone and Grant Kirkhope was the guitarist and lead singer.

Voliko

I don't think there are any remixes of the DKC3 water theme, but I agree, Fischer's work there was excellent.

Also, I feel bad for forgetting to mention Eveline Fischer earlier. It's a Rare QUARTET that should be recognized:

David Wise
Grant Kirkhope
Robin Beanland
Eveline Fischer

Am I missing anyone? Would've been cool if they all formed a company of contractors that went around scoring games!

I know David Wise and Grant Kirkhope had a band... Believe David played the saxophone and Grant Kirkhope was the guitarist and lead singer.
Graeme Norgate? He did Killer Instinct, Perfect Dark, Golden Eye, Jet Force Gemini etc. Love his Time Splitters soundtracks that he went on to make after leaving Rare.

I can't even deal with listening to all this on it's own; it's making me too emotional. I decided to buy a WiiU after finding out he'd be back for this game and after just a few tracks...I cannot deal.

Haha, I know how you feel. I've teared up more than a few times listening to these songs. There's basically no way any other game will top this soundtrack this year for me. Plus, the game comes out soon which I'm super excited for.

Neiteio

Graeme Norgate? He did Killer Instinct, Perfect Dark, Golden Eye, Jet Force Gemini etc. Love his Time Splitters soundtracks that he went on to make after leaving Rare.
Oh, excellent!

So Rare's composers formed a Fab Five:

David Wise
Grant Kirkhope
Robin Beanland
Eveline Fischer
Graeme Norgate

Insane pool of talent.

Oh, excellent!

So Rare's composers formed a Fab Five:

David Wise
Grant Kirkhope
Robin Beanland
Eveline Fischer
Graeme Norgate

Insane pool of talent.

And so diverse in style. I know Jontron describes Rare as The Beatles of video games, and I'd say the same about their musical output, as well.

Neiteio

And so diverse in style. I know Jontron describes Rare as The Beatles of video games, and I'd say the same about their musical output, as well.
Who did the Goldeneye soundtrack? Was that just Norgate? It was extremely impressive stuff. Had an unmistakable flavor to it.

nkarafo

Heh, Eveline Fisher didn't do many games besides some songs in DKC1 and the DKC3 soundtrack, but it seems that she was Joana Dark's voice actress.

HUELEN10

Dammit, I've had Grassland Groove looping no fewer than 11 times already. Is there a soundtrack planned for this?

Top Bottom