• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

December Wrasslin' |OT| This title has been held by all the greats...and Triple H

• Thread starter Deleted member 47027
  • Start date

Recall

Just finished watching the Money in the Bank Anthology boxset.

Key:
* = Nothing Match
*1/4 = Horrid
*1/2 = Awful
*3/4 = Poor
** = Below Average
**1/4 = Satisfactory
**1/2 = Average
**3/4 = Decent
*** = Good
***1/4 = Quite Good
***1/2 = Very Good
***3/4 = Great
**** = Excellent
****1/4 = Amazing
****1/2 = Outstanding
****3/4 = Near Perfect
***** = Perfection

Straight to the Top: Money in the Bank Ladder Match Anthology.
DISC 1
1) Wrestlemania 21 (3rd April 2005) – Chris Jericho vs. Chris Benoit vs. Edge vs. Christian vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. Kane ****1/2
2) Wrestlemania 22 (2nd April 2006) – Matt Hardy vs. Ric Flair vs. Finlay vs. RVD vs. Bobby Lashley vs. Shelton Benjamin ***
3) Wrestlemania 23 (1st April 2007) – Jeff Hardy vs. Booker T vs. Finlay vs. CM Punk vs. Mr. Kennedy vs. Matt Hardy vs. Randy Orton vs. Edge ***3/4
4) Wrestlemania 24 (30th March 2008) – Chris Jericho vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. John Morrison vs. Carlito vs. CM Punk vs. MVP vs. Mr. Kennedy ****
5) Wrestlemania 25 (5th April 2009) – CM Punk vs. Kofi Kingston vs. MVP vs. Finlay vs. Christian vs. Kane vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. Mark Henry ***1/2

DISC 2
6) Wrestlemania 26 (28th March 2010) – Kane vs. Christian vs. Kofi Kingston vs. MVP vs. Matt Hardy vs. Shelton Benjamin vs. Evan Bourne vs. Drew McIntrye vs. Jack Swagger vs. Dolph Ziggler ***
7) Money in the Bank 2010 (18th July 2010) – Big Show vs. Kane vs. Kofi Kingston vs. Christian vs. Matt Hardy vs. Drew McIntyre vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Code Rhodes ***3/4
8) Money in the Bank 2010 (18th July 2010) – Randy Orton vs. John Morrison vs. Evan Bourne vs. Mark Henry vs. Edge vs. Chris Jericho vs. The Miz vs. Ted DiBiase ***1/4
9) Money in the Bank 2011 (17th July 2011) – Kane vs. Sin Cara vs. Daniel Bryan vs. Sheamus vs. Wade Barrett vs. Cody Rhodes vs. Justin Gabriel vs. Heath Slater ****1/4

DISC 3
10) Money in the Bank 2011 (17th July 2011) – Rey Mysterio vs. Kofi Kingston vs. Alex Riley vs. Evan Bourne vs. Alberto Del Rio vs. The Miz vs. R-Truth vs. Jack Swagger ***
11) Money in the Bank 2012 (15th July 2012) – Christian vs. Sin Cara vs. Santino Marella vs. Tyson Kidd vs. Cody Rhodes vs. Dolph Ziggler vs. Tensai vs. Damien Sandow ***1/4
12) Money in the Bank 2012 (15th July 2012) – John Cena vs. Kane vs. Big Show vs. Chris Jericho vs. The Miz ***1/4
13) Money in the Bank 2013 (14th July 2013) – Cody Rhodes vs. Dean Ambrose vs. Wade Barrett vs. Damien Sandow vs. Jack Swagger vs. Antonio Cesaro vs. Fandango ***1/2
14) Money in the Bank 2013 (14th July 2013) – CM Punk vs. Sheamus vs. Daniel Bryan vs. Randy Orton vs. Christian vs. RVD ***3/4

Overall: What made for a quality Money in the Bank match wasn’t the spots, as after watching all the matches you really begin to see diminishing returns but what made an impact was the build up or more importantly how those spots were set up along with the psychology, in what helped divide the entertaining and the genuinely great. Some matches were horrendously sloppy with everything just going wrong, matches 10 and 11 were extreme candidates of this but even with the fuck ups the crowd were entertained and there was still something enjoyable to take from them be it the finish or some big bumps.

As a box set it sort of kills the entire thrilling nature of the match as you’ve literally seen it all. Regardless it was a fun watch and easily worth a pick up if you haven’t seen many Money in the Bank matches or want to have them all in one collection. Just try and space out the viewings as watching through them all in one sitting ruined the spectacle.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Interesting. MitB has definitely lost its spectacle as having at least two every year (and in the same night...oy) totally gives diminishing returns. They had that issue with ladder matches back in the early to mid 2000s as well - it stopped being unique because the greats had already done every kind of ending, etc.

strobogo

Banned
Sunny, you'll be happy to know that Chuck Zito returned to Nitro. You'll be sad to know he didn't say JIGGLY JIGGLY JEW.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Sunny, you'll be happy to know that Chuck Zito returned to Nitro. You'll be sad to know he didn't say JIGGLY JIGGLY JEW.

I am happy. There is still potential.

Jiggly jiggly jew.

Ithil

Huh, seems like Adam Pearce is going to be a guest trainer in the Performance Center for a week. Perhaps he can get a full time trainer job if it goes well.

Penguin

Interesting. MitB has definitely lost its spectacle as having at least two every year (and in the same night...oy) totally gives diminishing returns. They had that issue with ladder matches back in the early to mid 2000s as well - it stopped being unique because the greats had already done every kind of ending, etc.

I think the after effects of it has also woren off.

I mean the last major star making moment would have been Bryan in 2010 unless missing one or 2011.. one of those years

jred2k

It kills it when there is no sustained momentum for the winner, either. There is no way anybody can give a shit about the WHC MitB match next year. Just look at the last two winners, they're gonna have a First Street Fight voted on through the app or some shit tonight.

If it went to one match with the contract covering both titles it would at least add a little more intrigue. At least until they give it to Cena and have him with the championship the next week.

Yea MITB needs reworking Or a rest. Easters thing to do is back to one match a mania and give the winner a proper build. Jobbing for months on end before a cash in is terrible booking.

People want a strong champ.

jred2k

Yea MITB needs reworking Or a rest. Easters thing to do is back to one match a mania and give the winner a proper build. Jobbing for months on end before a cash in is terrible booking.

People want a strong champ.

003361.jpg

Aiii

So not worth it
Blaming Money in the Bank for this company's atrocious booking descisions is a bit silly.

I still love the concept and I love the matches, even when they do two in one night. I also love the concept of the cash-in.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
MitB is another problem that WWE is running into - a required gimmick match, and then they have to figure out what to do with the winners. Remember Sandow? No chance was he ready for the main event. Bryan winning and announcing his cash-in date? Embarrassingly bad. It's forcing the gimmicks to fit the storylines, and it sucks.

Wee need to take a break from gimmicks in general . Turning every gimmick into a ppv was a bad idea .

Hell in cell was this big bad match , now it's just another ppv. Can't wait for punjabi prison ppv next year

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Wee need to take a break from gimmicks in general . Turning every gimmick into a ppv was a bad idea .

Some of them have died, which is nice. Fatal Four Way is done, thankfully. "Let's make the main event(s) four-way matches because. Just because. It's not entirely about the spectacle and uniqueness not being there anymore, it's more forcing the storylines to use it. Hell in a Cell is one of those. I wish they'd retire it as a gimmick ppv. Leave HiaC for those who are needing that stip, instead of shoehorning it in to a feud.

bjork

Hell in cell was this big bad match , now it's just another ppv. Can't wait for punjabi prison ppv next year

bjork's "Vince gets amnesia and rolls WWE back to 1985" idea... it's not too late!

Recall

It was a TNA bad idea.

Yup Lockdown began it all.

Having a TLC PPV, Elimination Chamber PPV, Hell in a Cell PPV and a Money in the Bank PPV is overkill but I've always wondered how well these shows draw based solely on the gimmicks and if they stopped would they see a decline?

I'm a bit out of touch with 2013 buy rates so maybe they've put themselves in a hole where they would be doing more harm than good by stopping the gimmick PPVs.

Yup Lockdown began it all.

Having a TLC PPV, Elimination Chamber PPV, Hell in a Cell PPV and a Money in the Bank PPV is overkill but I've always wondered how well these shows draw based solely on the gimmicks and if they stopped would they see a decline?

I'm a bit out of touch with 2013 buy rates so maybe they've put themselves in a hole where they would be doing more harm than good by stopping the gimmick PPVs.

There's probably a few things they could do to reshuffle, but internally WWE might be totally happy with the way things are right now.

I don't mind them.

Royal Rumble
King of the Ring
Survivor Series

Those were gimmick themed PPVs to some extent.

They just have to be used right, and actually built up within a storyline and not just thrown together at the last moment. It's mainly the current booking in WWE which causes the Gimmick PPVs to be terrible. It's an extra challenge that they're not ready for, considering they can't keep weekly shows interesting or 'logical'.

strobogo

Banned
Leave it to the second to last Nitro to break me. Jesus Christ. I can't even post it right now. I have to take a breather and come back to it in a little bit.

I got pretty 'broken' watching the final Nitros as they seem to honestly believe everything will be saved, and almost seem to be preparing to come back. Kinda.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Leave it to the second to last Nitro to break me. Jesus Christ. I can't even post it right now. I have to take a breather and come back to it in a little bit.

So close to the promised land of watching NWA/WCW vs GLOW Family Feud! So close to watching the Donahue special on steroids and GAY SEX with Vince McMahon making a mistake by showing up!

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Bootaaay probably wants it to be called GAF-As-GAF-Can

Recall

My latest WWE boxset has arrived and its from a few years back. WWE 10th Anniversary The best of Smackdown 1999-2009. It advertises the best 100 Smackdown moments and has an assortment of seemingly random matches. I'm quite looking forward to it to see what they think is the most important moment and what gets glossed over, which I think will be mostly Benoit and Angle stuff.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
My latest WWE boxset has arrived and its from a few years back. WWE 10th Anniversary The best of Smackdown 1999-2009. It advertises the best 100 Smackdown moments and has an assortment of seemingly random matches. I'm quite looking forward to it to see what they think is the most important moment and what gets glossed over, which I think will be mostly Benoit and Angle stuff.

I thiiiiink I watched that, but it might have been the 5 year retrospective. Not sure. Still fun though! Lots of memories when Smackdown was worth watching more.

MitB is another problem that WWE is running into - a required gimmick match, and then they have to figure out what to do with the winners. Remember Sandow? No chance was he ready for the main event. Bryan winning and announcing his cash-in date? Embarrassingly bad. It's forcing the gimmicks to fit the storylines, and it sucks.

The thing with Sandow is that, with strong booking from the moment of winning the cash-in, it would have been very easy for him to become somebody who could credibly be "The Smackdown Guy" by now. It's not MitB nor Sandow's fault that WWE doesn't have a fucking clue how to book anybody other than Cena. The WHC is not exactly a true "Main Event" title, anyway.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
January Superstars |OT| This Place Is Electric!

This set would have been so much better without the incredibly goofy music choices for some clips as well as the superstars used to talk about some of the segments, prepare yourself to watch great little moments kinda ruined by Santino jokes and questionable background music choices, at least that's how I remember this set going.

Bootaaay probably wants it to be called GAF-As-GAF-Can

Lol, I like that - I was just going to make a post about how US indie fans don't know to react to proper mat work. Watching some of Pete Dunne & Mark Andrews matches from their recent US tour and, while the crowd liked their high-flying stuff, a lot of the early mat work left them nonplussed. Thinking about it, there really isn't much variety to the mat work of a lot of US indie workers - it's like the whole writlock, armbar back and forth is the be all and end all of mat wrestling, so when you've got guys like Andrews & Dunne doing sweet hammerlock reversals and all sorts of Johnny Saint-esque escapes, the crowd, for whatever reason, don't seem to get it.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Lol, I like that - I was just going to make a post about how US indie fans don't know to react to proper mat work. Watching some of Pete Dunne & Mark Andrews matches from their recent US tour and, while the crowd liked their high-flying stuff, a lot of the early mat work left them nonplussed. Thinking about it, there really isn't much variety to the mat work of a lot of US indie workers - it's like the whole writlock, armbar back and forth is the be all and end all of mat wrestling, so when you've got guys like Andrews & Dunne doing sweet hammerlock reversals and all sorts of Johnny Saint-esque escapes, the crowd, for whatever reason, don't seem to get it.

Conditioned to look for something else. I still think it's larger than that, a bigger disconnect. Lots of fans would have a hard time watching A Flair For The Gold nowadays. Slower pace, much slower. Better stories? Maybe, but WWE has perfected watchability for a lot of people.

Top Bottom