• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews for Trank's Fantastic Four hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
can you remove the bold? that's what my older brother used to say when he beat me up as a kid :(
6n2Or64.gif

Akahige

Well I guess it's to be expected that's it bad, I was hoping it wasn't, the negativity that had been surrounding since it was first announced was getting annoying.

A friend of mine just left a screening, texted me this.

"I Think I Got A Kidney Stone From That"
"Josh Tranks Older Brother Could Have Clobbered Some Talent Into Him"
"That Was The Fruitvale Station Guy Right ? He's Done After This"
"I'm Gonna Go Watch Spider Man 3, I Need A Better Movie In My Head Before I Go To Bed"

So it appears the negative opinions reach far beyond myself and some critics, heh.

Syriel

Y'know, I was kind of looking forward to this movie. I just want to see Fantastic 4 done properly. I think I'm going to dig up the Tim Story films and give them a rewatch to see if they're bad as I remember. Thanks, Josh Trank. You've driven me to this.

i kinda want to see this

Saw a screening tonight. Still need to write up a review, but in short, both Terminator Genisys and Pixels are better films than Fantastic Four.

FF starts out promising, and then veers hard into B-movie cheese.

Famassu

Marvel's other films are darker and more emotional? What the hell?
You can argue there are a few too many quips in Marvel movies, but they do have their darker tones & more emotional stuff (
whole character of Loki, death of Thor's mom, Tony Stark's struggle to reconsile with his past as an arms dealer & latter mental problems, Hydra's plans on how to control the world was pretty sick & twisted, Captain America's relationship with Agent Carter after the time skip, Winter Soldier's character, Scott Lang's struggles with being a good father to his daughter as an ex-felon, Hank Pym's relationship with his daugther after the tragic death of his wife, Hydra's experimentations with the twins, the death of Quicksilver, Star-Lord's past, Rocket's origin etc. + the MCU-connected TV series have tons more)
), even if not all of it is handled in the best way possible.

chalex010

Banned
Honestly I wanted this to be so bad that the rights had to go back to Marvel, but this seems like it's going to end careers. For a studio which is still averaging a decent output with the X-men brand and seems to be absolutely crushing it with Deadpool I can't understand how this movie can be this bad. I can't understand how something can be as bad as this movie is reported to be without being the product of outright malice.

Honestly I wanted this to be so bad that the rights had to go back to Marvel, but this seems like it's going to end careers.

It won't. Everyone involved has a solid enough resume that this won't be anything but a small dent.

Like someone pointed out earlier - being in Jupiter Ascending hasn't dulled either Eddie Redmayne or Channing Tatum (or Sean Bean's) ability to score jobs.

kswiston

Like someone pointed out earlier - being in Jupiter Ascending hasn't dulled either Eddie Redmayne or Channing Tatum (or Sean Bean's) ability to score jobs.

While this is most likely the truth, you have like a 2 year delay before we would even know given the time it takes to complete a movie from the point you cast your primaries.

But, you typically have to bomb a few films in a row to really damage a career.

duckroll

While this is most likely the truth, you have like a 2 year delay before we would even know given the time it takes to complete a movie from the point you cast your primaries.

But, you typically have to bomb a few films in a row to really damage a career.

Poor Taylor Kitsch. :(

And just watched the 1994 F4 film, and really wasn't that bad, albeit mostly corny. What the film at least got right (which also extends to the 2005 film series) unlike the 2015 film was the Thing actually sounding like the Thing (I cringe after watching the TV spots) and Dr. Doom looking like Dr. Doom.

latest

However, feel feat to correct me if I got the Thing part wrong.

Poor Taylor Kitsch. :(
Holy cow. That movie that I shall not name was sooo bad, I didn't even recognize it was him in True Detective..
And just watched the 1994 F4 film, and really wasn't that bad, albeit mostly corny. What the film at least got right (which also extends to the 2005 film series) unlike the 2015 film was the Thing actually sounding like the Thing (I cringe after watching the TV spots) and Dr. Doom looking like Dr. Doom.

latest

However, feel feat to correct me if I got the Thing part wrong.
Agree. Just watched it as well..

duckroll

He bounced back a bit. He was pretty good in Lone Survivor and now True Detectives.

I won't say he bounced back. Before breaking into Hollywood blockbusters he made a name for himself on TV with Friday Night Lights. Now after he bombed out of Hollywood blockbusters, he's on TV again with True Detective. He still doesn't have any blockbusters lined up, that career path hit a dead end.

DarkFlow

Banned
I won't say he bounced back. Before breaking into Hollywood blockbusters he made a name for himself on TV with Friday Night Lights. Now after he bombed out of Hollywood blockbusters, he's on TV again with True Detective. He still doesn't have any blockbusters lined up, that career path hit a dead end.

Most actors with such high profile bombs wouldn't be working today, so the fact he can go back to TV and get supporting roles in movies is pretty good.

Deadpool will be his last chance..
That's what they said about Green Lantern. He is the Teflon man.

Sambrez_

I live in France so the movie was released yesterday and I went to see it, curious about the supposed the disaster and also because since DOFP I have more faith in the FOXs superheroes movies.

They are a lot of good things in the movie, unfortunately annihilated by all the bad things that follow.

The first part of the movie is a nice build up of the team, they really take their time to introduce the different characters and personnality, in a way that has never really been done in a superhero movie. But in the end, when you arrive at the middle of the movie and there are still no super powers, you know that the end will be rushed.

Once they acquire the powers everything falls apart.
The one scene everyone enjoy in a super hero origin is the power discovery. Here it's erased with the worst 'One year later' ever.

Doom is here only to show up at the end for the final (and only) battle of the movie. And it's a really short one.

In the end there's not a single scene in the movie where you think they earn the 'Fantastic' adjective.
It's a shame, really, but the two previous movies were better even if they were cheezy and unperfect. You can't help but feel frustated when you leave the theater.

Also, litteraly everything is in the trailers.

B33

Banned
Battleship was beyond terrible, but John Carter was a genuinely good flick that suffered from some of the worst marketing decisions in recent cinematic history.
The worst part is that John Carter's woeful marketing was a result of Andrew Stanton's refusal to concede to Disney's marketing team at the time. They ultimately had to side with Stanton because of the rights stipulated in his contract.

It's a shame we'll never see another installment.

BigDug13

I watched Fantastic 4 and Silver Surfer Rifftrax in preparation for this movie. Little did I know that I was already watching all I needed to see and could pretend this movie never existed. That sucks.

If Marvel/Disney get the FF rights back, I can see Doom taking over ruined Sokovia and renaming it Latveria, and using the wreckage of the Ultron drones as Doombots.

That would actually be awesome.

I can't tell if you wrote this to make Doom sound ridiculous, but that's exactly what I want in a Doom portrayal. Be creative in why he wears a mask, how he is both a beloved dictator and a murderous villain. Explore his intelligence, jealousy and megalomania. Doom is a fascinating character.

They don't even need a plausible reason why he needs to wear the armour. Just make him the opposite of Iron Man who wears the suit for his own protection and because of his suspicion. They need to make him incredibly intelligent, suspicious, superior and domineering.

Edit - as a few others have said, just make him Darth Vader. It'll still be a more faithful interpretation than the shit we've seen so far.

If Marvel/Disney get the FF rights back, I can see Doom taking over ruined Sokovia and renaming it Latveria, and using the wreckage of the Ultron drones as Doombots.

This is a rad idea, and something I could totally see Marvel having in their book of contingency plans much like Spidey in Civil War.

The worst part is that John Carter's woeful marketing was a result of Andrew Stanton's refusal to concede to Disney's marketing team at the time. They ultimately had to side with Stanton because of the rights stipulated in his contract.

It's a shame we'll never see another installment.

Is there a good single source to read up on this? I'd be quite interested to know more details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom