• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First reviews for Trank's Fantastic Four hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just came out of seeing this and I feel comfortable when I say this:

This film is one of the better comic book adaptations in recent memory. Yes, it had a few issues but none of which are unique or as apparent. What is apparent through 3/4 of the film is that it does character development (and relationships) better than most. I will vehemently defend this movie because nowhere in a million years does a film that nails characters like this deserve the scorn it is getting here.

I will write up a full post with details later but I will leave with this:

Don't believe the hype. See it and you will realise it for yourself.

This film is one of the better comic book adaptations in recent memory. Yes, it had a few issues but none of which are unique or as apparent. What is apparent through 3/4 of the film is that it does character development (and relationships) better than most. I will vehemently defend this movie because nowhere in a million years does a film that nails characters like this deserve the scorn it is getting here.

I'll form my own opinions, so we'll see.

Siegcram

grgucJN.jpg

I've seen it twice now, and it sucks more the second time.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
Things could change, but currently this movie has a lower critical score than the following:

X-men: The Last Stand - 58%
Daredevil - 44%
The Phantom - 43%
Wolverine Origins - 38%
Fantastic Four 2: Rise of the Silver Surfer - 37%
The Shadow - 35%
Meteor Man - 29%
Fantastic Four - 27%
The Punisher: Warzone - 27%
Ghost Rider - 26%
Green Lantern - 26%
Superman III - 26%
Blade Trinity - 25%
The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lava Girl - 20%
Spawn - 19%
Judge Dredd - 18%
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance - 17%
The Spirit - 14%
Blankman - 13%
Jonah Hex - 12%
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace - 12%
Steel - 12%
Batman & Robin - 11%
Elektra - 10%
Catwoman - 9%
Captain America (90s) - 9%

Fant4stic - 8%

... That's mind-blowing.

Damn..Steel, Jonah Hex, both Ghost Riders, Catwoman..thats one hell of a hill to be the king of...

It's not like dozens of critics teamed up to bully Trank or anything. The film's a turd.

Garlador

This image is really misleading by the way.

... How is it misleading? That's what Doom looks like.

It's like saying THIS is misleading:
deadpool-origins.jpg

That's what Deadpool looks like in Origins. They mislead you on what they did with the character.

And, yes, I've seen what Doom DOES... and it's just a rip-off of Akira and nothing the Doom I've loved would have done. Doom isn't a power monster whose great abilities you should fear; he's a ruthless politician whose goal is to save the world from itself by ruling it personally.

... Four movies with Doctor Doom and the closest one we've gotten to getting it right was Roger Corman's...
DR_DOOM_culp_052311.jpg

FTF

Things could change, but currently this movie has a lower critical score than the following:

X-men: The Last Stand - 58%
Daredevil - 44%
The Phantom - 43%
Wolverine Origins - 38%
Fantastic Four 2: Rise of the Silver Surfer - 37%
The Shadow - 35%
Meteor Man - 29%
Fantastic Four - 27%
The Punisher: Warzone - 27%
Ghost Rider - 26%
Green Lantern - 26%
Superman III - 26%
Blade Trinity - 25%
The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lava Girl - 20%
Spawn - 19%
Judge Dredd - 18%
Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance - 17%
The Spirit - 14%
Blankman - 13%
Jonah Hex - 12%
Superman IV: The Quest for Peace - 12%
Steel - 12%
Batman & Robin - 11%
Elektra - 10%
Catwoman - 9%
Captain America (90s) - 9%

Fant4stic - 8%

... That's mind-blowing.

Yeah seriously, it can't be worse than all of these movies...It just can't!

Finaika

Just came back from watching this.

Quite enjoyed it. Certainly not as bad as everyone is saying, but its no masterpiece either.

IMHO of course.

Oh, go ahead. Fair warning that you'll have to do a pretty good job I think, the criticisms all sound water tight.

One question, did you think the "clobbering time" origin was deep and clever?

Context: I don't know anything about the comic book or how certain origins were depicted differently here. I only watched the cartoon as a kid.

I thought the idea of how they introduced the line was clever. It's a cheesy line, but they used it in an emotive, dark context which introduced Ben as a child from a chaotic background. And yet, he welcomes Reed as a willing friend.

Siegcram

Context: I don't know anything about the comic book or how certain origins were depicted differently here. I only watched the cartoon as a kid.

I thought the idea of how they introduced the line was clever. It's a cheesy line, but they used it in an emotive, dark context which introduced Ben as a child from a chaotic background. And yet, he welcomes Reed as a willing friend.
So you base your assertion that they "nailed the characters" on a shitty 90s cartoon that ran for like a year? As opposed to 50 years of comic lore?

Monocle

Holy shit at the current Rotten Tomatoes score. I think this is the first time this year I've actually been correct about an awful looking movie. I wasn't impressed by the Spy trailer, I was skeptical about Ant Man, I had zero interest in Inside Out, and I thought that Jurassic World looked potentially lame. Yet I ended up loving all four of those.

How can you say they have "nailed" the characters when you never read the comics?

kobu

No 3/4 of the film doesn't do character development and relationships better than most. 90 minutes of the film is them fucking around with bullshit science while having no chemistry with dialogue straight out of a 90s cartoon. While the last 10 minutes is them scrambling because they forgot they were making a superhero movie with one of the worst action scenes I've ever seen. I mean the shit reed was doing in that final scene was just comical.

No 3/4 of the film doesn't do character development and relationships better than most. 90 minutes of the film is them fucking around with bullshit science while having no chemistry with dialogue straight out of a 90s cartoon. While the last 10 minutes is them scrambling because they forgot they were making a superhero movie with one of the worst action scenes I've ever seen. I mean the shit reed was doing in that final scene was just comical.

few, I was almost tempted to go to the theater tonight if I had freetime. Saved me some money.

Fj0823

90% of the time, no. This shot makes him look like one of those creatures from Witcher. First time we see him, he looks dope. This particular look happens once. That's all I can say without spoilers.

Maybe because he shows up in only 10% of the movie according to all reviewers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom