• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bombcast - 10/07/14

Draft

Is it must me or did Giant Bombcast used to be one of the best podcasts?

It's hard for me to listen to anymore. With the long ass ads and discussion on completely unrelated to the main topic of the podcast I seem to be enjoying this podcast less and less each week.

This is about to be unsubscribed from my podcasts list. The only thing left is 8-4 play.
Without Ryan and Vinny the drop in quality was inevitable.

It's hard for me to listen to anymore. With the long ass ads and discussion on completely unrelated to the main topic of the podcast I seem to be enjoying this podcast less and less each week.

This is about to be unsubscribed from my podcasts list. The only thing left is 8-4 play.

Yea, I feel the same way. I don't mind off topic stuff, but that's all it is now. I really liked it when it was a little mix of off topic but mostly about games.

I've probably listened to maybe 3 to 4 bombcasts in the past year or so.

Its like these people NEVER listened to the podcast in the past. With Vinny and Ryan there would be all kinds of tangents. Stories of young Ryan and Jeff getting up to some shit. Its has always been part of the bombcast and hopefully always will be.

Dan is the american version of Karl Pilkington

Karl-Pilkington-watford-asda-picture1.jpg

Holy shit, you are so right.

If you are a subscriber, you get an ad-free version of every podcast they do that has ads in it, if they bother you so much though

Subscriber here. I like the ads. I enjoyed the SBM bits more when Vinny was around, but in general I enjoy the seemingly (or likely) impromptu banter around why one ought to patronize the various sponsors. Stamps.com stuff was some of my favorite ones so far only because when they were happening the place that I work at was in the process of transitioning to it. Also, the Flu was hitting SF pretty hard at that time so their talk about "jeezus, don't go to that den of disease the post office" was hilariously spot on.

b3b0p

They've always gone off topic, hell it's part of the podcast description.

I will concede that it is different then it was in the past, but I don't necessarily think it is better or worse than it was.

Yes, I know. I have no problem, but it feels as if it is more than usual or worse. Perhaps their off-topics as of late have bored or annoyed me to the point of just turning it off.

I have been listening since the beginning and it was at one point one of my favorite podcasts, but for a while now it seems to have gone down hill. A 3 min ad at the beginning with multiple others sprinkled through out and some of the topics they go off on are either annoying or boring as all hell and it seems to be happening more so than I ever remember and lasting longer.

CrazyDude

Yes, I know. I have no problem, but it feels as if it is more than usual or worse. Perhaps their off-topics as of late have bored or annoyed me to the point of just turning it off.

I have been listening since the beginning and it was at one point one of my favorite podcasts, but for a while now it seems to have gone down hill. A 3 min ad at the beginning with multiple others sprinkled through out and some of the topics they go off on are either annoying or boring as all hell and it seems to be happening more so than I ever remember and lasting longer.

I have listening from the start and I really don't feel the difference. Maybe it's you don't have the patients for it anymore?

Fjordson

Well it was never going to be as good without Ryan. And then losing Vinny was yet another tough blow. Brad, Jeff, Vinny and Ryan was pretty much an unbeatable lineup.

That being said, I just recently started listening regularly for the first time since Ryan's passing and I think they've rebounded pretty well. Dan is a surprisingly great fit and brings some good energy to the show.

b3b0p

Its like these people NEVER listened to the podcast in the past. With Vinny and Ryan there would be all kinds of tangents. Stories of young Ryan and Jeff getting up to some shit. Its has always been part of the bombcast and hopefully always will be.

I've been listening since the beginning, but it seems to be more than usual. The ads are more frequent and longer. The off topic is more frequent and longer. The quality discussion of actual gaming is down in my opinion. It used to be a favorite podcast of mine that I looked forward to taking up 3 hours or so of my time. Now, it is not.

Maybe I'm just growing old and moldy. 8-4 Play is still my favorite though.

daydream

Banned
Why is Vinny not on some sort of podcast? He'd instantly elevate Patrick and Alex' show.

Him having to set up the NY studio, having a second child and still waiting for his home to get renovated after initially thinking it'd be done by September (ETA now is January) probably has something to do with it.

It's natural the podcast is going to be different. It was a 4 man pod and 2 of those people are no longer on. IT would have been impossible for it to not change. But as far as the tone of the podcast, the tangents and general OT discussions, that's always been there. Vinny talked as much about being a new dad, or his crazy NY family, as he did about games.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Why is Vinny not on some sort of podcast? He'd instantly elevate Patrick and Alex' show.
Apparently all his stuff is still in storage, so he doesn't even play games right now. I hope we get him back for podcasts later.

RE_Player

This GOTY is going to be really weird.

- Brad is the only one on staff who is into Destiny.
- Patrick and Alex are the only ones who played through Walking Dead Season 2, a sequel to the 2012 runner up.
- Patrick will probably be the only one who has completed Alien and Divinity.

And lots of other examples of one person on staff checking out a game. I think the front runners are Shadow of Mordor as everyone on staff who has touched it has spoken positively about it and possibly Far Cry 4 as 3 was enjoyed by the staff last time.

Fjordson

Yeah, I have no clue what will win this year. Some big games ended up disappointing and others were delayed into next year.

The staff liked Farcry 3 if I'm remembering correctly, maybe they'll all be into FC 4. Or Brad and Dan will push for Shadows of Mordor.

Blablurn

If they dont fuck up the story I'm sure Far Cry 4 will win many awards. The got the formula right and people loved FC3. If they do it right, it will win. Maybe it will not go down in history as one of the best games ever but if you look at this years lineup it could be one of those games who could deliver on all aspects.

- Patrick and Alex are the only ones who played through Walking Dead Season 2, a sequel to the 2012 runner up.

And lots of other examples of one person on staff checking out a game. I think the front runners are Shadow of Mordor as everyone on staff who has touched it has spoken positively about it and possibly Far Cry 4 as 3 was enjoyed by the staff last time.

This is why personal top 10s are more helpful/insightful.

RedWolf

Neo Member
I still love the Bombcast but I am getting a bit tired of the "let's all listen to Dan's crazy stories" nonsense. Dan is great when on topic but all the stories gets kind of old.

jmood88

Dan seems like one of those people who was homeschooled their whole life and is just recently getting out into a world that isn't controlled by their parents.

jmood88

Yeah, people seem to invent a history for this podcast that never actually existed. One of the common complaints from people who were never fans of it was that they went off on tangents that were unrelated to games. None of this is should be new to anyone who has listened for awhile.

Brashnir

Dan has a really childlike view of drugs. "They're illegal, where are the cops to arrest all the users?" Does he really think it's feasible to just arrest all drug users?

Let's be honest here. Dan has a very childlike view of a great many things.

Haines

Banned

So its smash obv

We know one thing for sure: Divekick will make it over GTA V again.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
That burning man drugs conversation had the unspoken specter of drug war racism looming over it.

Eh. I don't think that's what it was at all. Besides, most of burning man is white as hell. Like, crazy white. The whitest people on the planet can be found at Burning Man. The giant hay guy represents the attendees bursting into flames from exposure to the sun. And the specifics they pointed out are more white stereotypes in general (the stoner culture, cocaine users).

It was much more innocent "drugs are illegal so they're bad so they're illegal" middle America lack of reasoning.

I've been listening since the beginning, but it seems to be more than usual. The ads are more frequent and longer. The off topic is more frequent and longer. The quality discussion of actual gaming is down in my opinion. It used to be a favorite podcast of mine that I looked forward to taking up 3 hours or so of my time. Now, it is not.

Maybe I'm just growing old and moldy. 8-4 Play is still my favorite though.

1.) Listen to the ad free version.
2.) As long as I've been on this site (~2010) we've had people complain about the length of the off topic segment.
3.) Same as above in regards to quality discussion.

Cartman86

Banned
Eh. I don't think that's what it was at all. Besides, most of burning man is white as hell. Like, crazy white. The whitest people on the planet can be found at Burning Man. The giant hay guy represents the attendees bursting into flames from exposure to the sun.

No I mean there is racism in who the cops decide to bust for drugs. Which wasn't mentioned by them. They covered the other political points (prison privatization). It wouldn't surprise me that you don't get tons of drug busts at Burning Man because of how white it is. The "innocence" of Dan leads me to believe he is not aware of this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No I mean there is racism in who the cops decide to bust for drugs. Which wasn't mentioned by them. They covered the other political points (prison privatization). It wouldn't surprise me that you don't get tons of drug busts at Burning Man because of how white it is.
Well, in the same way that I'm sure Dan and co had binge drinking parties in some park/backwoods and cops never gave a shit about that either. There is certainly a particular standard being applied by law enforcement anyway.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
No I mean there is racism in who the cops decide to bust for drugs. Which wasn't mentioned by them. They covered the other political points (prison privatization). It wouldn't surprise me that you don't get tons of drug busts at Burning Man because of how white it is. The "innocence" of Dan leads me to believe he is not aware of this.

That's entirely possible. A discussion about the inherent inequalities in our judicial and prison systems wouldn't exactly be great Bombcast fodder though. And it would really throw a wrench into Dan's whole "no, shut up, everything's okay" philosophy on life.

Cartman86

Banned
That's entirely possible. A discussion about the inherent inequalities in our judicial and prison systems wouldn't exactly be great Bombcast fodder though. And it would really throw a wrench into Dan's whole "no, shut up, everything's okay" philosophy on life.

Yeah it might be best if it wasn't brought up.

Dan, I think you're great

but your attitudes towards drugs are backwards to say the least

I find Dans attitude towards drugs to be baffling in some ways. So drugs that mess you up and make you "feel good" are bad, yet he is constantly talking about getting drunk and throwing up.

I've never done any drugs either, but dudes logic seems weird to me on this topic.

eznark

Banned
I find Dans attitude towards drugs to be baffling in some ways. So drugs that mess you up and make you "feel good" are bad, yet he is constantly talking about getting drunk and throwing up.

I've never done any drugs either, but dudes logic seems weird to me on this topic.

if The Man tells him it's ok it's ok.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wonder what Brad and Jeff think about the fact that there are exclusive Nvidia features for AC:Unity?

If video card manufacturers can "moneyhat" a developer, surely a console manufacturer can as well?

I forgot to comment on it yesterday when it went up.

I have no interest in getting Alien Isolation but that quick look had to be one of the most fun quick looks I watched this year.

Top Bottom